lately I'm watching more and more Historical dramas, but I want some really,really good Historical dramas ! - It has to have a really good story - good acting - good chemistry between the main leads - Romance doesn't have to be the main focus, but at least a bit Romance is preferable. - some funny moments, want to laugh some time... - no silly girl lead as in dense when it comes to love or can't get anything right on her own. - not to much impossible moments, cause Historical (?) drama's tend to have these things... I watched these so far: Queen In Hyun's Man ( loved the chemistry between the main leads and the male character (his ability to adjust quickly, his way of thinking, the way he spoke), but I didn't like the story that much... it was cute, but not a wow for me) Iljimae ( this is one of my favorite drama's. Loved everything about it) Faith ( my first Historical. (if you call it that) enjoyed the story very much) Sungkyunkwan Scandal ( the best gender bender I have seen so far ! And besides that the actors were great, seriousness and hilarious moments were well balanced and the end was great too ) I'm now watching Arang and the Magistrate, but it is not really what I am looking for... Because Arang is a bit a airhead in my opinion. don't get me wrong I enjoy the drama. If you please could help me find a drama that fits my taste, I would be grateful :)
Jumong and The Kingdom Of The Winds are the best historical dramas i've seen so I highly recommend you to watch them.
I watched so far a lot of historical dramas, so I recommend some I think you'd like: The Princess' Man (very good chemistry between the leads, very good story) Queen Seon Deok (very good written characters, very good acting) Dong Yi (I found the love story sweet) The Kingdom of the Winds (good action and also good chemistry between the leads) The Moon that Embraces the Sun (a little fantasy, but it touched me) The Painter of the Wind (another historical gender bender, but a more serious one, the acting was spectacular for me) Gu Family Book (liked the story and Lee Seung Gi was really good as Choi Kang Chi)
Warrior Baek Dong Soo is an amazing drama!!
The return of Iljimae - I liked it more than Iljimae...the chemestry between the leads was better in my opinion.
The Princess' Man - One of the best historical dramas for me
The Vigilantes in Masks - it's a Chinese drama but I LOVED it...you should really give it a try and the female lead is badass
Dong Yi and Princess's Man. They both have a storyline that keep you intrigued, the acting is awesome, and the leads have chemistry.

Warrior Baek Dong Soo has all that but the chemistry is in the bromance hehe
Startling By Each Step (步步惊心) - It's one of the best historical dramas I've ever watched (and it's also one of the best time travel dramas out there)! It's chinese, but even if you're not into chinese dramas, it's totally worth it. : ) It's gorgeously filmed and the soundtrack is perfect. It's really intense and addictive, but at the same time there's a lot of heart-warming and funny moments. You'll have to give it about 5-7 episodes before it becomes really good, but after that you'll be hooked!

It's about a girl that travels back in time after an accident. She wakes up in the body of her old reincarnation Ruo Xi and starts working in the palace. There she befriends the princes of the throne and it soon becomes complicated (because she knows their fate and what'll happen to each one of them). She does everything in her power to not affect the course of history, but it's not always easy to make the right decision when you're already in to deep.

Genre: Historical, Time Travel, Romance, Friendship, Drama, Comedy.

Hong Gil Dong (쾌도 홍길동) - Even though I really recommend you to watch Startling By Each Step, I might as well recommend some other dramas too. Hong Gil Dong is a korean drama and of what I remember it was really fun to watch and I liked the main couple, it's not the best drama out there, but it's still really good. Oh and Jang Geun Suk plays one of the four main characters, haha!

It's based on a book about Hong Gil Dong, the korean version of Robin Hood. He fights injustice in the corrupted society togheter with his friends. One day he meets Heo Yi Nok (the dramas heroine) and Lee Chang Hwi (the rightful heir to the throne) and the real adventure begins.

Genre: Historical, Action, Comedy, Romance, Drama.

Tamna, The Island (탐나는 도다): Also called Tempted Again or Tamra, The Island. This drama is absolutely gorgeous. It's sweet, funny and you'll come to love the main couple! In the beginning it's just so-so and you might think that it's a little bit silly, but after only a few episodes it will become really good and addictive. I really recommend this drama!

I don't know how to explain the plot more than this. It's set in 17th-century Joseon dynasty and there's a young english castaway named William who comes to an island called "Tamna" (todays Jeju Island). There he meets the clumbsy village girl Jang Beo Jin and they become friends. At the same time there's another man coming to the Island named Park Kyu. He's under disguise of one of the many convicts sent to the island (not going to tell you his real identity even though many wiki pages do) and even though he doesn't really like Jang Beo Jin he's forced to live at their house during the stay.

Genre: Comedy, Historical, Romance, Adventure.
my best historical drama, that will be "Gou ~ Himetachi no Sengoku", with the documentary party in the end the plot was intense and educative, with a lot of real treaties and treasons, not a bunch of scenarists misunderstanding of history with their crappy imaginations, I was addicted
bettyboo wrote: I watched so far a lot of historical dramas, so I recommend some I think you'd like:
The Princess' Man (very good chemistry between the leads, very good story.
The Moon that Embraces the Sun (a little fantasy, but it touched me)

I second these.

Aya97 wrote:
The Vigilantes in Masks - it's a Chinese drama but I LOVED it...you should really give it a try and the female lead is badass

Also second this. I haven't finished it, but I have liked what I've seen of it.

KangAhSsi wrote: Startling By Each Step

Also second this.

Also check if you would be interested in

Jang Ok Jung
Cruel Palace
if u like action then i wud like to recommend " Chuno "
Try Princess Ja Myung Go (best Romeo-Juliet KDrama version :D )

Gaksital (a historical drama that is not a sageuk, the focus is more on the action instead of the rom-com, but this has complex characters and an amazing storyline in spades, it's definitely worth a watch)

I'm seconding...

Painter of The Wind (a historical gender bender, the female lead makes a convincing male despite her effeminate face and is a competent painter in her own right, great acting performances, the romance is there even if it isn't the main focus, it basically has everything you're looking for and it's the kind of great drama that leaves an impression)

Startling by Each Step (the review above says it all, it's extraordinarily good)
I really, really recommend Yi San . It's such a wonderful drama. I know that it's long, but it's so worth it! The characters really develop, the plot is very good and the romance is beautiful. And the OST is so great!
I think you'd really enjoy it :)

http://mydramalist.com/korean-drama/546/yi-san