Hi, i would like to ask everyone who watch period dramas for help. I feel like watching something from this genre, but i REALLY HATE bad endings. That is maybe why i usually dont watch period dramas - cause they almost always end up sadly.
So, if you know some historical drama with good ending, could you please recommend me some? Good ending does not necessarily means wedding and living happy ever after ^_^ Non dead main characters would be enough (or at least some hope, that they are still alive).

Dramas that i already watched and liked:
Sunkyunkwan scandal, Capital Scandal, Tamra Island.
hi bpetra. me myself haven't watched lots of saeguk dramas. i've only seen two actually. i'd like to recommend Jewel In The Palace (http://www.mydramalist.com/front/dramalist-ajax.php?dramaid=438). It has 54 episodes but it's really good and has good ending of your description. I'd also like to recommend Chuno (http://www.mydramalist.com/front/dramalist-ajax.php?dramaid=319)which i just finished watching yesterday. It has 24 episodes and a sad ending of your description, u might consider it though coz it's really good. :D
Iljimae was really really good. But some consider the ending bad, I thought of it as more open ended with a glimmer of hope. They hint at a lot of things, and if you pick up those hints you'd think the same way as me.

Either way it's super fantastic (:D). And remember, I'm talking about the one with Lee Joon Ki in it. I haven't seen the other version (The Return of Iljimae).
Also, will someone tell me if Queen Seon Deok (sp?) has a happy or sad ending. And by happy, I'll go by the same definition as Petra. No dead main (good) characters. It always kills me when the main characters, or important supporting characters, die.
Imo Iljimae also had good ending. And Hon Gil Dong may have bad ending but imo it was beautiful ending.
yeah ive noticed that period dramas tend to have sad endings. Man i wanted to watch Chuno but now i know it has a sad ending=( ah i still wanna watch though! LOL. Im also meaning to watch Hong Gil Dong but what do you mean by bad ending? is it sad?
Oh, so THAT'S why Gumiho: Tale of the Fox's Child has such a B.S. ending. Though I'm glad to hear the next drama on my list Sunkyunkwan scandal is good. Sorry I can't help, Bpetra! I'm a total NOOB when it comes to period dramas. =3
All I can recommend is Iljimae with Lee Jun Ki. It's the only period drama I've watched all the way to the ending, and that's really really saying something. It can make me cry at times, but no lead characters die. However that is up for debate. Still watch it!
jin_lee wrote: Also, will someone tell me if Queen Seon Deok (sp?) has a happy or sad ending. And by happy, I'll go by the same definition as Petra. No dead main (good) characters. It always kills me when the main characters, or important supporting characters, die.

According to Han-chan QSD has a SUPER sad ending.
subaa wrote: According to Han-chan QSD has a SUPER sad ending.

That sucks, cause I happened to look up that drama and it looked REALLY good. But I really dislike sad endings. That's too bad.... :(
For me, sad endings but good endings aren't bad at all. :D
Its just that i cant watch drama, where i would fall in loive woth characters, who are gonna die in the end. It soooo frutrating.
Btw thanks for recommendations, i added Iljimae to my watch list. I would just LOVE TO watch Hong Gil Dong, cause there are all my favourite actors, but i just cant. It would be too sad :(
Why Why why? They have to do this to us, viewers?
Can I add another?
Do watch Dong Yi (starring Han Hyo-Joo of Shining Inheritance). It's one of the best saeguks out there imo. And it has a happy ending too! I would love to recommend The Legend but you dont seem to keen on sad endings. :S
Yuanwei Volunteer Staff
even though QSD has a sad ending (?) (I don't think it's sad that she dies of old age or sth like that), this drama is the most interesting & awesome historical drama I've seen till now ^^ (with a sad ending lol) but you know why the endings are sad (all the characters die) cuz it's a historical drama...they are not supposed to be alive...they are in the past...plus the drama is about someone's life..from beginning till the end ^^ I'm watching SKKS now...it's just awesome,funny, interesting ^^ I still have to finish Iljimae cuz after I read that he dies, I stopped lol...but now that I know the ending is opened, I'll definitely finish it cuz it's awesome <3 Jewel in the palace was awesome too^^ for now I'm staying with short historical dramas...had enough of QSD & Jewel in the palace lol ^^