@Niskywalker:  I'm intrigued by your description of  When I Was Most Beautiful, as I'm kind of desperate for a mature, non-cliche drama.  I'm a bit uncertain though, because it got really low ratings at MDL and elsewhere (a 6.9 at MDL--I can't remember seeing anything in the sixes before).  Do you think the low ratings are due to the unconventional approach, or are there other problems? I hesitate to read the individual reviews, as they always give too much away.  

hayaka:

@Niskywalker:  I'm intrigued by your description of  When I Was Most Beautiful, as I'm kind of desperate for a mature, non-cliche drama.  I'm a bit uncertain though, because it got really low ratings at MDL and elsewhere (a 6.9 at MDL--I can't remember seeing anything in the sixes before).  Do you think the low ratings are due to the unconventional approach, or are there other problems? I hesitate to read the individual reviews, as they always give too much away.  

yeee, often really good dramas have low rating and/or aren't much popular, because majority of viewers want cliche romances, especially in dramaland )) this drama is good example of it, also there are other really high quality great dramas also not so popular (Arthdal Chronicles which is kind of korean Game of throne,  Cruel City best crime/mafia/romance drama and one of best Kdrama,  Memories of the Alhambra and more, these dramas are really really great, not cliche, interesting, mature, unpredictable) ...

When I was most beautiful - maybe not for everyone but it is really mature  (though  plot starts with high school boy's crush on his teacher) not cliche drama (though in the beginning FL could remind you  Cinderala), just give it a chance. Characters are complex multilayered, not black or white, they are real humans with issues, weakness, good and bad sides, they have sins and they aren't perfect (I like this, I don't want perfect unnatural characters); you will see real life emotions/relationships, amazing acting, amazing music and cinematography, after one third of drama I had feeling that I watched full drama, complete story and thought what else could happen, but it was full and interesting, unpredictable till the end, somehow raw emotions, real emotions,  and not your usual story what we have in 90% of romantic dramas.  

Yes, there are 1-2 weak/awkward scenes (big moon... you will remember when you'll see it) or some events that maybe are not very realistic (though I didn't have that feeling, but some people wrote it), also villain-ish characters aren't strong part of the drama, but they are soo extra characters ... it's not main point of story (it's not villains/heroes type drama), these "weaknesses" of the drama are nothing compere to main characters, their development, relationships, dialogues, uneasy emotions...

I'm also tired of cliche dramas, same old "cinderela fairytale" boy and girl meet, fall in love, love is pure and absolute, happy end...  if you also prefer dramas which show that human emotions are complex, not every love is same, not every love lasts forever,  not every couple should be like romeo/juliete but it doesn't mean they don't love each other, they can be bad for loved one or selfish even if they love,  person can fall in love and fall out and fall in again to other... not every main led should be absolutely good with high morality, or just jerk who will become good because of love and primitively written characters like this, then we are on same page ))) we could exchange recommendations, I hope there are more good dramas that I haven't watched. also I can recommend more mature not cliche not usual romances or non romance dramas :)

p.s. I checked it now and rating is much low, it really had more (though was underrated always) and I think it has something to do with scandal related to main lead, though it appeared false accusations anti fans and haters destroyed his carrier already, it's shame because he really is very talented and you will see yourself in this drama :)

Thanks for the long response,  Niskywalker.  I'm about halfway through the second episode of When I Was Most Beautiful .  I like it so far.  The main characters seem fairly well-rounded, although I agree with what you said about the villains, assuming that includes the chairman and the ex-girlfriend.  They are  less believable than the others, especially the girlfriend who seems like she is in some sort of alternative reality.  But my interest is piqued for now.   

A couple of lesser-known dramas I really like are 1) Piece of Your Mind, on Viki, and 2)  Mad for Each Other, on Netflix,  In Piece of Your Mind,  I was captivated by the story of a man who  has lost the love of his life and is slowly healed and comforted by the FL as he falls for her.   There is a strange, sometimes confusing technology twist to the story that doesn't always work, but  in general adds to the very unique mood in this drama.  It also doesn't hurt that the fabulous combination of Jung Hae-In and Chae Soo-bin are the leads, who as always shine in their roles. The secondary characters and their stories are also excellent.  Many of the scenes were filmed in the amber light of late afternoon, and Seoul has never looked more beautiful.  Moreover, a good portion of the show was filmed in Norway, and the snow scenes are quite stunning.    

Mad For Each Other is also very good.  It's shorter than most dramas (only about 7 hours), so there isn't any filler or wasted scenes, although the first episode is a bit weak (before the main couple really interact), so you have to be patient and get past that. Both of the leads have psychological issues caused by trauma in their lives,  but are able able to help each other in a way that feels organic and real.  And while it takes mental health issues seriously, it's also quite funny.  

I highly recommend both of these, but especially Piece of Your Mind..

https://mydramalist.com/708739-konin-todoke-nihan-wo-oshita-dakedesuga  : ongoing , ml suffer from woman throwing buckets of water at him ,   contract marriage , ml unrequited love for someone else , strong & beautiful fl & ml , ml unexpected moe side & cute ass op . Conclusion , please watch this drama ?????

hayaka:
chairman and the ex-girlfriend

yeah (though chairman is very extra, I hardly remembered him, also FL's aunt. 

thanks for recommendations, I'll check them, I don't know them so it's good (usually most recomendations are popular and either seen or I know and don't interested) but I liked first look on MDL :)

I'll write you personal massage and other recommendations :)