Here's my 6 year bump, still looking forward to this being a thing eventually.

Ji-N:

Right, It sounds really basic and something we want to implement asap but a, it's not that simple.

It sounds basic because it is. Is the web developer incompetent or left? Seriously, would be happy to take a look myself and implement it if I had time. Sounds like the database is a total mess with no foresight if you can't simply track id's of shows that have been watched.

Given the amount of suggestions for MDL there are I think its not a matter of how easy or hard it is to do but rather a matter of it not being a priority which is a shame since I would love this function. But there is always hope they'll get on it soon :)

daLyna:

I really wish this filter would exist ... it would make your searches for new dramas to watch much easier ...  actually ... it would be nice if the filter would be even more complex ... like a status filter with the options : 

• Not on my List [dramas you didn't add yet]
  • On my List [all dramas from your list]
  • Watching
  • Completed
  • On Hold
  • Dropped
  • Plan to Watch

very good idea

Ji-N:
Just waiting for the right time and tech.

Ji-N:
Right, It sounds really basic and something we want to implement asap but a, it's not that simple.

Long post alert... 
as if that wasn't obvious upon first glance!

Okay, so... I don't honestly get what's difficult about this.

Every user on here has a unique ID, and it should be a hard ID on MDL's end regardless of how many times someone changes his/her display name... that's just basic. People on FB still have that old numeric ID even if they moved to an alphabetical one.

Every ID has a set of lists attached and they are updated almost automatically on the page, the "local" view, and for a search function would update on the back end within an hour normally, a few hours if the site does whole site refreshes less often to keep it stable...

Just like every nation and every genre and every tag has a numeric ID attached for when we search, ALL you have to do is have a - or an unseen +, a 0 or 1 (exclude/include) for 6 more factors per user...

Example:

Say my ID is 1976920.

You have Currently Watching, Completed, On Hold, Dropped, Plan to Watch, and Not Interested (the most annoying one-I end up tapping the pencil OFTEN while thinking "Why did I add this one?" only to see I marked it Not Interested, and in searching, those STILL show up where they did before when solid searches treat everything in that "Not Interested" list as a "-Title 475025" the way Boolean searches have worked since quite a bit before most MDLers were even born, even me in this instance-Fortran was back in the late 1950s and was pretty deft, just horribly slow despite computers bigger than my bathroom. :P). 

Say you mark those factors as Currently Watching=835, Completed=836, On Hold=837, Dropped=838, Plan to Watch=839, and Not Interested=840... All you would ultimately be doing is adding another factor. 

CURRENTLY, say I search for: 

Type: Drama
GENRES: 

Include: Fantasy
Exclude: Action, Historical, Tokusatsu, Wuxia 

TAGS: Strong Female Lead
RELEASE DATE: 2010-2025
Sort by: Relevance -the default (this is a little broken, to be frank; the # of results shouldn't vary because you sort them differently, but they very much DO, even more broadly with looser criteria (relevance, most popular, alphabetical, and release date=54 results, but top ranked=47, top rated=48, and newest=53 [that one seemingly leaves out the one that hasn't aired even though it's the newest, so new it isn't available yet]... sometimes it'll change the # of results by crazy amounts to change the sort order, so something's a bit off... back to this issue.

The link to that set of criteria is this:
https://mydramalist.com/search?adv=titles&ty=68&co=3,1,2&ge=-1,32,-10,-12,-20&th=483,483&re=2010,2025&so=relevance

I have 54 results... and lo, page 1 gives me... 16 I have already completed out of 20 (12/20 from page 2 I've completed, 1 more on hold, and of the last 14, 8 I've completed, 1 is in progress, and 1 is on my list w/a 2022 air date so only 4/14 are new). I intentionally threw a lot of criteria in/narrowed it down quite a lot (a lot of fantasy does have action that I've come across, and a whole lot is historical, a whole lot from China Wuxia) just to show how even with a modest 54 results, pages 1-3 are, in order, 80%, 65%, and 71% irrelevant... Overall, 72% fed to me with those options already got watched or are being watched or are a;ready slated for future viewing. 

Anyway, say you have boxes for "my list" (which would include or exclude all you've already marked if you're looking for new content), completed, currently watching, dropped, etc... if each user has their numeric ID, you just have to make that link longer ie (DL=dramalist for example)-if they click/tap in my list twice to make all of them excluded, it'd look something like this possibly:

&dl=-1976920835,-1976920836,-1976920837,-1976920838,-1976920839,-1976920840

If I WANTED things on my PTW specifically, cool, &dl=1976920839 will show JUST what I marked PTW that meets the criteria since it's not like my brain can store the genres of the nearly 600 titles on my PTW list (granted a LOT of those haven't aired yet, but even what has aired my brain will be really fuzzy about after some time-many I might've added because of the writer/director or an actor who picks really great projects to be part of). The dl= - ### makes those results go away... 1976920840 would be everything in the not interested list of mine, 1976920836 everything I marked as completed etc, and it just has to refresh however often is deemed reasonable-if your search feature is kept a bit tucked away on the servers/updated more slowly as a back end function of sorts, sure, if I mark something completed, perhaps it would still show for a while, but overall I wouldn't be looking at results that have only 28% being things I haven't already marked as completed/in progress/PTW (almost all completed in that search). If you take that 54 and it becomes 540, suddenly out of 27 pages I'm going to have 7.5 pages of relevant content scattered here and there, 27 pages with only 5-6 from each page of 20 possibly relevant... ouch.

When in doubt, just... adapt someone else's. Try Bibliocommons which catalogs public libraries' entries and manages to keep it accurate for every library (just like every MDL user) right down to every BRANCH of local library systems... just... use theirs if the programmer here is a bit less savvy. 

My 2 cents turned into 2k won.

To dev: There is another way.  You can do it on the client side. Without changing anything about queries , indexes.

After user does advanced search. Hide/collapse dramas in users browser via javascript. 

Users see that.  "oh in the 1st page, i have 3 dramas thats not in my completed list."  He Quickly reads those 3 . Then goes to next page.

bhe0:
To dev: There is another way.  You can do it on the client side. Without changing anything about queries , indexes.

That is 100% possible but some people going to have a lot of hidden/collapsed results.

I love this idea! Please implement this feature soon, it will be so helpful when searching for new shows to watch. 

Just wanted to add my vote for this feature. This would help me during times I am unable to find a drama to watch but watched almost everything already that is in the top search results.  

*up*
Still waiting for this kind of filter while searching for new dramas ♥

Tbh that would already be such a nice improvement for all of us that have tons of dramas on their lists. If there was a check box to turn on/revert the collapsing/hiding, it would be a great compromise. 

I voted for this too. I hate when I'm looking for a new drama to watch and the first couple pages are stuff I've already watched. I'd love to be able to filter those out!

I've been waiting for this to happen for so long  :(