It would be great if there was some way to soft-save posts you're working on in forum threads before posting them. 

I can't tell you how many times I've worked on putting together a long list of drama recommendations with descriptions that fit criteria requested in a recommendation forum thread, only to lose it all because I accidentally backed out of or refreshed the page before I was ready to post the reply. 

10votes

Hotmail Outlook has this feature in their drafts, you could use that in the meantime. 

Also http://typehere.co/ it's just a blank page with plain font but you can type stuff and it will stay there as long as you don't clear your cookies. 

Sunset:

Hotmail Outlook has this feature in their drafts, you could use that in the meantime. 

Also http://typehere.co/ it's just a blank page with plain font but you can type stuff and it will stay there as long as you don't clear your cookies. 

I appreciate the suggestion. I would probably use google docs to draft long posts if using a separate tab was a convenient solution.

Unfortunately I often quote directly from multiple sections from the original post or replies in a thread (especially for longer posts). Those quoted sections can't be copied into google docs / non-MDL forms and then pasted back in an MDL reply pane in the same format (as quotes with the users' profile picture and username). 

Also, if you use dark mode (which I do) and you copy text from an MDL reply pane to paste it into a google doc, you either have to paste it without formatting or you get illegible black text on a dark grey background that you have to reformat. So that approach involves some extra formatting work in a few ways. Plus you have to toggle back to the original thread if you need to check the previous posts. 

I suppose I could copy long drafts into google docs a few times as I draft them as a safeguard against losing everything while still doing all of the main drafting in the MDL reply pane. Definitely better than nothing, but not an ideal workaround.