Much like with reviews, I think it would be beneficial for users to be able to mark drama recommendations as 'unhelpful' and 'helpful; (instead of just the currently existing 'like' function).

There is a tendency for some recommenders to recommend titles on the bare minimalist of similarities (both in the BL/wuxia/etc genre, both have same cast, both have a character in such-and-such job, etc). Not only is it unhelpful to people genuinely looking for recs, but it also tends to bury the existing recs that bear more sustenance. It has gotten to the point that a few regular users I have talked to have mentioned how they don't go to the recommended section because of how unhelpful it is.

58votes

Yeah, I agree with this. I rarely look at the recommendations because so many of them recommend based on one or two basic similarities (I could easily find that by filtering genres and tags) and have little true similarity at all (e.g. recommending Last Cinderella to someone looking for something similar to Secret Love Affair just b/c of the older woman-younger man?). It would be nice to be able to upvote recommendations that actually are based on more a more thoughtful consideration of tone, style, themes, etc., especially since popular dramas sometimes have A LOT of recommendations. 

I also think we need spoiler tags for recommendations. Some people don't mind knowing things like "they both have sad endings" before watching, but I don't want to know that. Fear of running across spoilers is another reason I often avoid looking at the recommendations.

I understand your point but isn't there already features for these things?

• Heart feature to upvote any recommendation

• And report feature to remove a recommendation.

The heart function is glitchy for one, as the number does not always change when hearting, and if you look at some dramas with lots of recs, you’ll see that there will be some recs further down the list with several hearts more than the ones above it.

And because it’s glitchy, and the lack of faith people have in the rec page, most recs sit at a cozy 0 hearts (or 1 heart from the recommender).

The report function isnt always the right move to take either, as while it might work for rec’s that are just “……..” it doesnt work for recs that are “theyre both BLs,” “theyre both supernatural korean dramas.”

AthenaTheStorierX:
glitchy

As far as the glitch is concerned, it is a site issue, because I myself have reported many errors / gliches in the recent past.

so you want recommendation to accending and decending order according to hearts/vote (which is not exist i admit).

I don't know about others, but when I have to recommend a drama that I think is similar to that drama, I give a heart if the drama is already recommended by someone.

i agree that report function work on  specific term "duplicate , spam......".

AthenaTheStorierX:
it doesnt work for recs that are “theyre both BLs,” “theyre both supernatural korean dramas.”

i also agree with this point you cant report on above terms . but to be very honest i don't want to report them . Because it is not necessary that you should recommend a drama with exactly all the same elements. Sometimes two dramas having at least one element in common is enough to watch the drama.

As far as I can tell, the only thing that impacts the ranking / order of the recommendations is the number of people who have made the same recommendation. This completely makes sense. The problem is that many people aren't going to bother writing a recommendation if they see someone else has already made the same recommendation. In the past I have certainly felt like it would be redundant to make a recommendation when it had already been done. Now that I've realized (and I just realized this today after using this site for years) making redundant recommendations impacts the order they appear, I have more reason to do so.

The hearts seem to determine which person's recommendation is displayed on top when multiple people have recommended the same title. This also makes sense in principle, but I think the problem is that when most people give a heart to the recommendation, they're not thinking "this is the most well-written explanation of why someone who liked title X would like title Y" they're saying "yes I agree someone who liked title X would like title Y." The result is that people give hearts to titles they agree with, but those hearts do nothing to push those titles higher on the list (they would have to add another recommendation of the same title to do that), and for titles that have multiple recommenders the top recommendation is not necessarily the most well-written one (the one that happened to be on top when the first heart was given just continues to accrue all the hearts). I don't think people realize that they're giving the heart to the particular recommender not the the title that was recommended.

Basically, I think there need to be separate functions for upvoting the recommended title (more people recommending the same title can also continue to count towards that) vs. upvoting what a specific recommender wrote. And it needs to be clear to users which is which.

You have explained in a good way. I always give heart/vote considering the title. I never looked into whether the recommender used proper facts/words or not.

xinya:
I don't think people realize that they're giving the heart to the particular recommender not the the title that was recommended.