Is guidance available on the rating system? For example, what I think 7/10 is may vary greatly from another community member's use of 7 to rate a drama.

I realize this will always be subjective, but I think it would help if some indication of what a rating means would be very helpful and should improve the meaningfulness of the rating.

I notice that there are often comments about the drama rating being either to high or too low.  While these types of comments will always be made,  they are confusing because often I would not have thought a rating of 7 or 8 would be so egregious that it would warrant a comment. Another example of why I think guidance would be helpful, is the number of ratings that are 10 out of 10. It seems to me that this should be very rare, yet it is rather common.

Finally, and you may not wish to answer this although I do not think it is giving away anything that needs to be protected and I think a general response can be provided  - does a rating made after less that the total number of episodes carry the same weight as a rating made after all episodes have been watched. That is some sort of weighted average used?

Thank-you

We used to have the guidance and removed it after because we found out that the rating average is too high because of it.

frommyspaceship:
does a rating made after less that the total number of episodes carry the same weight as a rating made after all episodes have been watched.

I'm not sure I understand the question

Ji-N:

We used to have the guidance and removed it after because we found out that the rating average is too high because of it.

I think what frommyspaceship tries to ask is if a user's rating who completely watched a drama counts 100% into the overall rating and another user's rating who only watched half of the drama would count only 50% into the overall rating. :)

All I can say is that it does do something to the rating.

moonchild:

I think what frommyspaceship tries to ask is if a user's rating who completely watched a drama counts 100% into the overall rating and another user's rating who only watched half of the drama would count only 50% into the overall rating. :)

Yes, thank you that is what I was asking. Unfortunately, my question suffered from my failure to ensure what I was thinking matched what I wrote.

Ji-N:

Regarding the issues of ratings and guidance, it surprises me that you could conclude that the rating average was too high when guidance was provided. How would you know if a rating average was too high? The rating average would simply be the average based on your calculations. Without there being any associated meaning to the ratings why would an 8 for example be too high and a 7 better. My question actually originated from my observation that the ratings often seemed too high. Of course, my observation is not based on sufficient data or information to lead to a proper conclusion and I am only using my subjective view of the ratings.

Anyway, my comments above are not meant to be critical, I think this is a great site. I do not require a further response.  Originally, I  was just curious whether guidance was available and  thought it might be helpful even it was simply words/phrases associated with the numbers. However, your experience with the site would certainly provide you with better information to decide on the best approach.  Thank you for your response.

Thank you, we're still experimenting with it, it may come back in the future when we have enough data to tweak it, but we do see a drop in the average rating.