Hello, sorry to bother you but, the numbers of some of Stat have gone down for example. A couple of weeks
 ago Crime was above Romance on my stats with about 120(?) I checked today and its now below romance
 with  only 98
How come that has Happened? 

Thank you (: 

BabyNandos :

Hello, sorry to bother you but, the numbers of some of Stat have gone down for example. A couple of weeks
 ago Crime was above Romance on my stats with about 120(?) I checked today and its now below romance
 with  only 98

Thank you (:

I'm guessing it's the genre tweaking that's been done pretty recently where "Investigation" and "Detective" genres got deleted entirely, detective moved to tags, investigation all changed to the mystery genre. Some things marked as "CRIME" should not [by MDL's definitions] have gone under crime at all, and I'm guessing lots of the popular ones got sorted out in the process of removing. The definition of crime HERE is "a genre that focuses on one major crime that the plot revolves around or the lives of criminals or a crime that is being committed  This genre is more appropriate for heist, spy, or Mafia/Yakuza titles. Featuring several unrelated crimes in a story is called Police Procedural, and the tags for it should be used instead of the genre crime." 

Case in point: The whole Voice season is no longer "crime" (that one I actually question since there's a serial killer in 1/4 and 2/3 have the weird crime gang thing in Japan-guess I'll inquire now that I've noticed it! There may be some list for it, dunno.)

Example of one not yet done: Police University is one that might also get changed around. There IS a crime, naturally, but I wouldn't say the plot revolves around it so much as the actual police force and moreso the students/school, and it's definitely not about the lives of criminals... it's still MARKED as crime, but it may not stay there since halfway through and the crime is more a plot device than the plot, something to put the characters together at this point, not the core of the show which I'd throw in mystery, romance, comedy, school, and maybe friendship bc of all the bonding as classmates in an intense field of study. 

So yeah... While they were moving the Detective (=police force and detective life) genre to tags and changing all Investigation (pro or amateur investigator or detective investigating a crime or unexplained phenomena) to Mystery (which now says 'investigator' solving a puzzle, often a crime or mysterious death etc)... stuff got taken out of crime that wasn't truly befitting of the crime label. You'll no doubt have some more shows under mystery now and the tags detective and police procedural will have more/might show up in your list where before they likely would not since police procedural is one I almost never saw even as an OCN junkie who watched LOADS of cop shows! :)

If you want the exact definitions, here those are, too, including Law since it could also confuse people. We still have to fix a TON of mystery/suspense/thriller genre mislabeling but that's another problem for another day.

For reference, look at the genre details here though I'll quote the relevant ones for ease here: https://mydramalist.com/discussions/support/17285-guidelines-editing-and-submitting-new-dramas-movies-and-actors

• Crime: a genre that focuses on one major crime that the plot revolves around or the lives of criminals or a crime that is being committed  This genre is more appropriate for heist, spy, or Mafia/Yakuza titles. Featuring several unrelated crimes in a story is called Police Procedural, and the tags for it should be used instead of the genre crime.
  • Detective: a genre that focuses on the police force and detectives life (Different from the “Investigation” genre).
    • It is no longer being used and is replaced by the tag version.
  • Investigation: a genre that focuses on investigating a crime or some unexplained phenomena by an investigator or a detective – either professional or amateur.
    • It is no longer being used and is replaced by the tag version. Use the genre "Mystery" instead.
  • Law: a genre that focuses on the system of justice and who works in it; such as lawyers, prosecutors, and judges.
  • Mystery: a genre that focuses on an investigator as they attempt to solve a puzzle (often a crime) or a mysterious death. It can be detective stories in which the emphasis is on the puzzle or suspense element and its logical solution such as a whodunit.
 ElBee:
I'm guessing it's the genre tweaking that's been done pretty recently where "Investigation" and "Detective" genres got deleted entirely, detective moved to tags, investigation all changed to the mystery genre. Some things marked as "CRIME" should not [by MDL's definitions] have gone under crime at all, and I'm guessing lots of the popular ones got sorted out in the process of removing. The definition of crime HERE is "a genre that focuses on one major crime that the plot revolves around or the lives of criminals or a crime that is being committed  This genre is more appropriate for heist, spy, or Mafia/Yakuza titles. Featuring several unrelated crimes in a story is called Police Procedural, and the tags for it should be used instead of the genre crime." 

Case in point: The whole Voice season is no lo

sorry I cant quote your whole reply
 now that I think about it, it makes the most sense that the tags & genres are being sorted (:

ElBee:
even as an OCN junkie who watched LOADS of cop shows! :)

it's nice to see another person who loves OCN (:

Thank you for your reply (: 

BabyNandos :
it's nice to see another person who loves OCN (:

Thank you for your reply (:

Yeah, I actually went editing some (Police Uni x'd from crime-not its focus, Voice I added crime to because they're chasing the same guy even though it's ALSO police procedural/detective/investigation=mystery)... The easiest thing would be if they had the genres have the definitions pull up when people edit like they have descriptions for tags, but it's still very much at user discretion-and only people who watch them can really tell.

Yuanwei Volunteer Staff
 BabyNandos :

with  only 98

Thank you (: 

The genres are being sorted especially now that the maximum number is 4 (besides what Elbee already explained). You will noticed a change in your stats in the upcoming weeks as well. We hope to finish sorting by the end of the year, though it might take longer. 

If you notice a title that was mis-genred feel free to edit it, but don't forget to add sources or the reasons behind the change.

Thank you for understanding! ^~^

Yuanwei:

The genres are being sorted especially now that the maximum number is 4 (besides what Elbee already explained). You will noticed a change in your stats in the upcoming weeks as well. We hope to finish sorting by the end of the year, though it might take longer. 

If you notice a title that was mis-genred feel free to edit it, but don't forget to add sources or the reasons behind the change.

Thank you for understanding! ^~^

Thank you keep up the awesome work
(: 

BabyNandos closed this Sep 8, 2021 02:14 pm