I've watched countless Western (English) movies/tv series, Korean dramas, Chinese dramas, Japanese dramas and Thai dramas. I'm aware that these are dramas and things are often not real or are exaggerated for entertainment. 

From my personal experience of  watching lakorns, the thing that as always stuck out is the antagonists/bad guys resorting to violence/willing to commit a serious crime in almost any situation. For example, thugs are always armed and immediately open fire without any fear of laws/police. Also, bad guys are literally always trying to rape women. They often succeed too and are not punished in any way. And, to make it worse, even male leads try to rape the female lead. Like WTF? Then they end up falling in love or some shit. This shit really puts me off from watching certain lakorns. 

This bring me to my question, which is mostly directed at someone who has experience living in Thailand. Do things like this really happen in real life? Is rape common too, especially in rural areas? I'm guessing the answers are no but I just want to know for sure.

Just to clarify. I don't mean any offence to anyone from Thailand. I think Thailand is a beautiful country and I would love to go on holiday there at some point in my life. I'm simply curious.