5- "Criminal Minds" - 20 billion Korean won 

6- "Iris 2" - 20 billion Korean won 

7- "Saimdang, Light's Diary" - 20 billion Korean won 

8- "My Country- 20 billion Korean won

9- "Iris" - 20 billion Korean won 

10- "Athena: Goddess of War" - 20 billion Korean won 

11- "Memories of the Alhambra" - 20 billion Korean won 

12- "Are You Human Too?- 10 billion Korean won 

According to the wikepedia of KTEM, the production cost is 30 million dollars or approx 36 billion Korea won, so on the list it is considered number 2.

I think it's really hard to compare ratings for Free TV and Cable, so we'll seperate the two of them. Most peope agree that Free TV will have more viewers in general due to it being free compared to cable produced shows. So it's hard to compare the numbers. But in general a super succesful drama in free tv averages over 20%, while a super succesful drama in Cable will average of 10%. So for argument sake we will try to compare appes vs apples. All rating info is from wikipedia, and I just add the average of the shows to make it easier.

Cable TV Produced Shows

Show NameCostAvg RatingsNetworkYear
Arhdal Chronicles54 Billion Won6.87%TVN2019
Kingdom 1 and 235 Billion WonN/ANetflix2019-2020
Mr. Sunshine30 Bilion Won13.85%TVN2018
Criminal Minds20 Billion Won3.06%TVN2017
My Country20 Billion Won4.38%JBTC2019
Memories of Alh20 Billion Won9.66%TVN2018-2019

Free TV Produced Shows

Show NameCostAvg RatingsNetworkYear
Vagabond25 Billion Won9.5%SBS2019
Iris 220 Billion Won11.08KBS2013
Saimdang Light20 Billion Won9.68%SBS2017
Iris20 Billion Won30.73%KBS2009
Athena War God20 Billion Won16.1%SBS2010
Are you Human?10 Billion Won5.73%KBS22018
KIng Eternal36 Billion Won7.82%SBS2020

So for cable TV, Looks like Arthdal Chronicles was the worst performing Kdrama based on the production cost. and Mr. Sunshine would be the best.

As for Free TV, looks like KTEM is the worst performing based on the production budget, and the best, (exluding 2010's production) is Vagabond.

Of course, there are many many of other Kdrama that performed than the ones in the list, but this is more a discussion to see how a high produciton cost, does not always equate into higher ratings, as these ones prove.

well i guess TKEM is almost Arthdal 2.0, but worse because the story here sucks. at least for Arthdal, i usually read high praise by people who watched it (much less polarizing in terms of viewer's feedbacks).

p/s AYHT's rating is so low wtf, the show is so good :(

Baek In Ho:

well i guess TKEM is almost Arthdal 2.0, but worse because the story here sucks. at least for Arthdal, i usually read high praise by people who watched it (much less polarizing in terms of viewer's feedbacks).

Im not so familiar on the difference of KBS and KBS2. Maybe KBS2, you have to pay extra to get the channel, and thus the viewer share looks lower?

Also, althought i put it in the list, you can just ignore the ones from 2009-2013. Since viewer ratings during those times were on average higher. Focus more on 2016 - 2020.

I also have heard good things about Arthdal, but money wise, it was quite a big failure. Let's put things in perspective. 

Arthdal Chronicles cost 54 B won. Converted to US$ that is $45M US. Game of thrones first season cost approx $50-$55M 

But GOT was literally seen world wide. Arthdal, mostly in korea So yeah. I still don't understand how these Korean cable companies are able to afford these high productions in the first place, I mean look at NFLX, a HUGE company that is valued at 184B company, and they spend approx 60-90 per season of show. How big is TVN that they can even think of producing a show at even half that value. 

Doesn't make sense to me from a numbers stand point. But I don't know korean media well, they must monetize much better than Netflix.

Kimsamsoom:
I mean look at NFLX, a HUGE company that is valued at 184B company, and they spend approx 60-90 per season of show.

you mean $60-90 million per season a show?

Kimsamsoom:
How big is TVN that they can even think of producing a show at even half that value. 

well i checked that Arthdal is a TVN show that is also purchased by Netflix. so that's the answer, Netflix investment like other high budget ones in recent years.

what about TKEM though? their VFX is a bit cartoonish at best, so do you think there's not enough capital injection there, or not enough time to edit (since they continuously shoot at the time of airing)? i honestly wonder for such a high budget production, why is it that we are barely seeing a very distinctive VFX on screen differentiating the two worlds. i am theorizing that a bulk of the production cost actually went into paying the high profile lead actor(s) and screenwriter, lol.

i really loved the VFX in Hotel del Luna, it felt very Disney like (and good too!)

Baek In Ho:

you mean $60-90 million per season a show?

well i checked that Arthdal is a TVN show that is also purchased by Netflix. so that's the answer, Netflix investment like other high budget ones in recent years.

what about TKEM though? their VFX is a bit cartoonish at best, so do you think there's not enough capital injection there, or not enough time to edit (since they continuously shoot at the time of airing)? i honestly wonder for such a high budget production, why is it that we are barely seeing a very distinctive VFX on screen differentiating the two worlds. i am theorizing that a bulk of the production cost actually went into paying the high profile lead actor(s) and screenwriter, lol.

i really loved the VFX in Hotel del Luna, it felt very Disney like (and good too!)

Yes, on average they spend $60-$90M per season per show. Bigger budget ones like the Crown for example cost about $120M per season.

I think the VFX looks fine, but i'm no expert. Haven't seen hotel de luna, but I hear good things. I heard that TKEM is a pre produced show. 

I'm no expect on how Kdrama spend their budgets. But actor salaries are not so egregious. Jo jung suk, a very popular KDrama actor get's paid about $70k per episode. So for hospital playlist, he made about $1M. So assuming KGE and LMH are in that range, still doesn't explain where they spent the rest of it.

I seriously doubt KGE get's paid anywhere near that number btw. LMH maybe tho.

No, TKEM is not a pre-produced show. Yeah would've been nice to know an approximate of lead actor's salaries. But another possibility is the bulk of money going into shooting and the logistics of shooting since the drama was shot from Sept/Oct 2019 to end of May 2020 (8 months) which explains why the VFX is a bit lackluster, imo.

Baek In Ho:

Honestly it hurts my soul that anyone would relate this to Arthdal.
Arthdal had solid character arcs for almost everyone of it's cast, had good plot lines, and everything made sense whether it was simple or complex.
Main complaints about the show were the sheer number of characters, boring build up (AKA the starting is a slower pace, but this was intentional), CGI, the level of brutality, and loath able characters.

I am also surprised that AYHT didn't have higher ratings than this. That show was kinda fluffy for me but overall I did enjoy my binge watch of it, and could definitely see it being immensely popular.

ForeverFanatic:
Honestly it hurts my soul that anyone would relate this to Arthdal.
Arthdal had solid character arcs for almost everyone of it's cast, had good plot lines, and everything made sense whether it was simple or complex.

LOL you're unnecessarily overthinking my words. my intention of saying TKEM is almost Arthdal 2.0 is restricted only on the aspect where it's a high budget production which yields low rating, that's it. read my full statement again, lmao!

Baek In Ho:
 Baek In Ho:

LOL you're unnecessarily overthinking my words. my intention of saying TKEM is almost Arthdal 2.0 is restricted only on the aspect where it's a high budget production which yields low rating, that's it. read my full statement again, lmao!

Oh, sorry, just being a bit over dramatic. I didn't think you actually thought they were similar. I'm just a bit tired of the ratings debate. I already knew arthdal wasn't popular in Korea but it just kinda stings to see it needlessly compared to this show. The main reason I quoted you in particular was for the AYHT comment.

ForeverFanatic:

Oh, sorry, just being a bit over dramatic. I didn't think you actually thought they were similar. I'm just a bit tired of the ratings debate. I already knew arthdal wasn't popular in Korea but it just kinda stings to see it needlessly compared to this show. The main reason I quoted you in particular was for the AYHT comment.

why wasn't Arthdal popular in Korea? I haven't watched it.

Kimsamsoom:

why wasn't AYHT popular in Korea? I haven't watched it.

I honestly don't know. TBH I only actually got around to watching it cause Baek In Ho recommended it after my sister showed me some of the promo material. I watched it long after it came out so no chance of getting public opinion as it aired.

If your looking for a really detailed, complex, yet still logical show about Time Travel/Parallel worlds, I suggest Steins:Gate. 

Although it's an anime, if that is your thing. 

Hollywood will also be remaking a live action version.

Kimsamsoom:

If your looking for a really detailed, complex, yet still logical show about Time Travel/Parallel worlds, I suggest Steins:Gate. 

Although it's an anime, if that is your thing. 

Hollywood will also be remaking a live action version.

not sure if you were talking to me but, I watched steins;gate and psychopass last year, both very intriguing. Although as much as I adore Steins:gate the way it handles time travel is actually very simplistic, which is why it successfully avoids the usual time travel paradoxes. I don't view this as a downside though.

Also are you the person who suggested someday or one day? if so I still haven't watched it :/

ForeverFanatic:

not sure if you were talking to me but, I watched steins;gate and psychopass last year, both very intriguing. Although as much as I adore Steins:gate the way it handles time travel is actually very simplistic, which is why it successfully avoids the usual time travel paradoxes. I don't view this as a downside though.

Also are you the person who suggested someday or one day? if so I still haven't watched it :/

Oh not me no. I haven't watched that myself.

Kimsamsoom:

Oh not me no. I haven't watched that myself.

Okay, well for time travel I'd also recommend:

Signal
(This one is just so darn good, but it did have a causality loop of sorts that I still don't know what to call. Such a causality loop also happened in TKEM)

365: Repeat the year
(this one involves time travel but doesn't not explore things like paradoxes and is more focused on the characters)