I just finished watching the series, EP50, of course.

The last scene was that Wei Wu Xian was playing the flute and about finishing the melody. Then, he heard Lan Wang Ji's voice calling his name. Then, Wei Wu Xian slowly turned back, then he touched and smiled. Was Lan Wang Ji there or just Wei Wu Xian imagined himself about Lan Wang Ji?

I am so confused. I thought they will be together!

I finished watching 2 days ago and the ending confused me too. Like did Lan Zhan decide that they weren't going to go their separate ways or what???. So confused

So due to heavy censorship the ending had to be changed, but I honestly love it the way they put it. The book is different so if you want to see a clearer ending, I would highly suggest reading the book. The ending is cause for some heavy debate, but if you pay attention closely they do separate. They separate to cultivate and gain experience on their own and then meet back up again later. If you look closely WWX's robes are different than when they parted. LWJ is the voice at the end where they reunite because, let's be honest, who else does WWX smile like that for.  The main reason, I assume, that they couldn't show them ending up together is the heavy Chinese censorship but they still gave us a lovely ending. I hope this helped clear up your confusion! :)

KimchiByTheSea:

So due to heavy censorship the ending had to be changed, but I honestly love it the way they put it. The book is different so if you want to see a clearer ending, I would highly suggest reading the book. The ending is cause for some heavy debate, but if you pay attention closely they do separate. They separate to cultivate and gain experience on their own and then meet back up again later. If you look closely WWX's robes are different than when they parted. LWJ is the voice at the end where they reunite because, let's be honest, who else does WWX smile like that for.  The main reason, I assume, that they couldn't show them ending up together is the heavy Chinese censorship but they still gave us a lovely ending. I hope this helped clear up your confusion! :)

Thank you so much.

I think the ending is now clear for me, and I am happy with it :)

It is a happy ending. Please read the english translation of the novel. Chinese tv cannot show though due to censorship so this was the best they could do. The novel ended differently of course. They confessed during the guanyin arc in the end, embarrassed everyone there with thei r PDA and being shameless  (and before that arc they were physically intimate but not all the way). After the guanyin temple scene they eloped and got married! The novel is super satisfactory. 

Emma:

It is a happy ending. Please read the english translation of the novel. Chinese tv cannot show though due to censorship so this was the best they could do. The novel ended differently of course. They confessed during the guanyin arc in the end, embarrassed everyone there with thei r PDA and being shameless  (and before that arc they were physically intimate but not all the way). After the guanyin temple scene they eloped and got married! The novel is super satisfactory. 

Many thanks! I am going to check the novel :)

You are welcome. If you love to read.... Check out the 40,000 fanfic stories on archive of our own. Some are so, so good. That's why after 1.5 year I'm still in the MDZS rabbit hole. 

Emma:

You are welcome. If you love to read.... Check out the 40,000 fanfic stories on archive of our own. Some are so, so good. That's why after 1.5 year I'm still in the MDZS rabbit hole. 

Amazing. Thanks a lot.

I even found the novel in my mother tongue too.

undernewbie:

Amazing. Thanks a lot.

I even found the novel in my mother tongue too.

https://youtu.be/tAYbsUwl8lM

Please watch this to understsnd the ending.This one is beautifully explained .Happy  reading.U will  enjoy the novel for sure

Rose22:

https://youtu.be/tAYbsUwl8lM

Please watch this to understsnd the ending.This one is beautifully explained .Happy  reading.U will  enjoy the novel for sure

OMG, you are the best.

Thanks for the link. I just noticed that the costume of Wei Wu Xian was changed too. 

I like very much the details the film maker team put on the series!