Since this is a supposed spin off and i know its only 2 episodes in but has anyone picked up any reference or hints that both shows are in the same universe? 

Its been years now since i last watched VP season 1 and 2

Other than the music, which isn't much to go by, it seems different... but wouldn't it be interesting if this all had something to do with Bad Blood?
Its so jarring to hear that music makes me think of VP immediately 
I agree.. it's almost upsetting. Because I keep thinking "why would they do that if they weren't connected?" But I just don't see how these vampires are the same as the ones we've seen in VP? 
Yep vamps here burn in sun light which is different in VP
SO I'm still confused on how they're connected, but at least now we know they are? I wonder if they'll actually do anything about it or not, or just continue that story thread another day. 
I DIDN'T HAVE A HINT IT WAS A SPIN-OFF,
NOTHING COMPARED TO VP 1 & 2.

NOW IN EPISODE 10 YOU GET TO SEE WHAT
HAPPENED IN THE BEGINNING OF VAMPIRE
DETECTIVE. THEIR RELATIONSHIP ETC.

IT STARTS TO GET TO THE REAL NITTY GRITTY
NOT JUST SOLVING RANDOM CASES.
BUT IN THEIR OWN STORY.

I STILL DON'T KNOW IF I LIKE IT OR WILL EVER 
REWATCH. 
There is more. That bar keeper is cameo, he was one who was blood trader in VP. In VD we can see more what his main source for blood is and was. And we get tiny snipets about VP main characters....they both are alive. 

If VP was about top of iceberg then VD is about bottom of iceberg.....but this berg of ice is same chunk in both dramas.
:D