* Ju Haeri is Ju Eunho's younger sister.* Because of Eunho's depression, she started reading the diaries of her…
We have talk about that at episode 2, and I think it's still valid. It's because there isn't really a Hyeri here, even if Eun Ho mimics what she wanted to be. But about psychology, it's Eun Ho alone, depressed and who lose a part of herself. So the "Hyeri" in her is her joyfull part she has to let live until they can merge and Eun Ho is a complete being again, healed. I repost again my poster analys: https://i.imgur.com/ylGbQfC.jpeg The intro credit anime also resume the story.
Episode 3 - Live watching with lot of notes (see Spoiler).
About the credits: We see Eun Ho in a grey world, the world of her business. She sees a painting showing a river and colourful trees. The painting becomes a passageway to this other world. Her grey clothes become coloured. Then Hyeri guides her. The final scene shows a girl meeting an unknown man (seen from a distance).
Hyeon O has to go to an ancestral rite. Confusing as there are new names. Then his family in a big mansion. Lots of characters, and they spend their time talking about other characters we don't know. Ouch! Screenplay error. Impossible exposition to remember. They talk about the guests who are coming: Ji On, who we know. Su Jeong, impossible to remember her name, but we know her, Hyeon O's presumed sister. We see photos of Ji On with the women in the family.
03:15 - It was a flashback. In a complicated way, phone call from Su Jung. Hyeon O knows about Eun Ho's distress call. Lots of names again. Ouch.
04:00 - Cut direct to Eun Ho + Hyeon O on the harbour. She's so shocked that he has to help her put on her seatbelt. 05:52, Close-up on a pendant attached to the dashboard. I'm guessing, relating to their relationship? Something like ‘he never forgot her?’.
06:30 - The message was sent to Mi Yeon, not to him. I made a mistake in my recap of episode 2. Damn. Hence the complicated story of who contacts whom. Hyeon O doesn't want to say that he came for her, but because there was a dead body (risky situation). 07:20, close-up on his shoes. Not the same ones. Pointing out that he panicked and came as quickly as he could. She sees this but says nothing. Just guesses he's lying and has come for her. Unforeseen: she asks him never to come for her again, even if she dies. I love it! She doesn't want to get her hopes up and suffer.
08:15 - He goes out to follow her... to say something. It's ultra slow, but actually quite tense. Suspense... What is he going to say?! ‘You bother me". loooooool!
08:45 - Episode title: Wish.
08:47 - Office. Irony: He's talking about a love story similar to Hyeon O and Eun Ho's situation. Lol. And he has to answer ‘is it love or obsession?’. CUT! We'll know the answer later?
10:20 - Su Jung + Hyeon O. Eun Ho and Hyeon O broke up 4 years ago! Su Jung: ‘as a producer, she should have stopped drinking alcohol’ + She was scolded by the boss. @Cleo: your wish is granted ^^ Su Jung convinced that he still loves Eun Ho, even though she's never had a boyfriend (such a cute girl??!)
13:10 - New character. A guy who's back in the media company. Jeon Jae Yong. Seems to annoy Kim Sin Jung.
14:45 - Parking. Ju Yun does not park in his usual place. Hyeri absent. Is it morning?
15:00 - Office. Ju Yun + Pretty Hye Yeon. Amusing. He has no idea if his co-presenter is pretty. Makes sense for a guy who doesn't care about women, and hasn't had a problem with Hyeri's cringe-worthy appearance. She pesters him. ‘Do you think I'm pretty?’. Unexpected: ‘Yes, you're pretty’. LOL!
15:30 - Since this is probably the first time he's said something so nice to her, she makes the conclusion that he's seeing another woman. Ahah! Brilliant. Problem: now she wants to find out who that woman is (hyeri!)
17:00 - Whatever his relationship is, she wants to sabotage it! She asks a co-worker for help: ‘be natural and slithery like a snake climbing the wall’. This augurs that she will use disloyal means to sabotage any relationship Ju Yun has with anyone other than herself.
18:00 - Comedy scene in the canteen. Hye Yeon's plan to find out more about Ju Yun's relationship fails.
19:30 - Car park, night. Ju Yun leaves. Hyeri is absent. 20:00 - Long shot: two flower pots in front of the yellow booth. Strange shot.
20:15 - Ju Yun at home. Silence, solitude. Shot of Hyeri's drink. He misses her. Flashback. Hyeri: everything smells good about you. Then: how did you get those eyes? Excellent! All subtext. She doesn't say ‘sad eyes’, but we understand. He tells us about his brother Se-Yeon (flashback within a flashback). No father, and his brother was also like a father. The actor playing the brother seems to be the same as Ju Yun. Accident, coma, mother who blames Ju Yun that it's her fault. Arh. Back with Hyeri. Ju Yun: what's the point of fulfilling a dead man's dream for him? However, that's what he's going to do, leave the army to become a presenter (his brother's dream). Ju Yun: That'll make my brother happy (dude, he's dead!). Hyeri: Your brother is happy, but what about you? In the end, she's the one who asks the question he needed.
28:33 - End of flashbacks. Back to the glass!
28:55 - Parking, day. Hyeri + Ju Yun. She's carrying a signpost. (reminds me of the drama Pinocchio) Note: in this scene, Hyeri no longer has her ghostly hair fringes. She also speaks more easily. A dreamy romantic scene ^^
33:10 - Spied on by the... new guy? Jeon Jae Yong? He recognises Eun Ho. But not sure.
33:27 - Car, night. Co-worker reveals to Hye Yeon that he saw Ju Yun smiling at a woman (Hyeri?). I hope jealous Hye Yeon creates a bunch of annoying complications. ahah! He can't remember who the woman is... but they get to the parking lot, so.... ‘That's her!’... Hyeri... Spicy situation. I like it. Hye Yeon sees Hyeri + Ju Yun smiling at each other. Aaahh!!!!
35:05 - Dring! Alarm clock, 4am, Eun Ho. Then, TV set. The new guy Jae Yong is an annoying clown. Visit from big chief Seo. He doesn't even know Eun Ho! Infamous, he calls her old. He wants to give the antenna to a young woman Shim Jin A instead. Certainly a bitch, the way she looks defiantly at Eun Ho. Possibly Chief Seo is having a sexual affair with Jin A. Kim Sin Jung informs Hyeon O.
38:37 - clown Jae Yong + Hyeon O. Wants to talk about Eun Ho but leaves. Weird scene.
38:43 - Chef Seo yells at Eun Ho about pronunciation. Injustice! Chef Seo is obnoxious. ahah! She leaves the office angry. Hyeon O arrives but CUT. Will he try to help her?
40:50 - clown Jae Yong + Sin Jung. He blurts out that he saw Eun Ho in the car park. Ayayyaaa... the situation is getting complicated, more and more people are seeing Hyeri.
43:00 - Round table of presenters against Eun Ho. What kind of witch court is this? aaah! They accuse her of having travelled for her two reports. (This seems to be a reporter's job, not a presenter's.) Hyeon O enters. Aya, the Jin A bitch gets involved. Asks Eun Ho to apologise + says she's been dreaming of being a presenter since 11. 45:40, Flashback of Eun Ho (at 11). After someone (Hyeri?) dies, she becomes obsessed with the TV presenter. She wants to become a presenter like her. 47:10, back to the present. Finally, Eun Ho apologises. Ends strangely, ‘Now let me go home’. This seems to be a message for Hyeon O. A line from the next scene?
49:25 - Flashback Eun-Ho + Hyeon O, night. Continuation of scene 08:15, ‘You bother me’. Hyeon O: ‘I hate it when people ask me: why did I ever have feelings for you? It's embarrassing. So I want you to succeed without my help’. Eun Ho answer in resume: "we broke up, so why should you be embarassed because I'm not good in my work. It's not your business anymore, so let me be bad in my work. I wasn't good already when we were together, it was all about you and how much you shine". The director has a blast in this scene: some shots are cropped. I can't remember the technical name. Shot from the car. And 51:06, incredible shot, she's turned to the right, and he's behind her back in a mirror reflection I suppose. It's a real visual fiesta !!!! + Sensational acting!!! Best scene of the episode.
52:20 - Back to the present. Eun Ho gets out of the lift. + clown Jae Yong, formerly known as ‘Gold bat’. He tells her he saw Hyeri. ‘They say she's your sister, but your sister is dead’. Good confirmation. This clown has no tact. What a jerk! Eun Ho: My sister is not dead. Surprising!
54:33 - Flashback, but... in black & white! Eun Ho (a young woman) receives a phone call saying ‘Hyeri has disappeared’. The mystery thickens. So Hyeri didn't die when Eun Ho was a child! Disappearance in Giyidong forest. Awesome sound-effects/BGM. Eun Ho opens a memory box of Hyeri.
55:58 - still black & white BUT, a yellow sunlight on her back. Brilliant! As soon as she picks up the diary, light and colour come into it while the rest remains grey. Reminder, my analysis of the poster: https://i.imgur.com/ylGbQfC.jpeg Eun Ho reads the diary, the diary of a girl who is always cheerful and admires her sister. The text is crazy: ‘Eun Ho wants to be a presenter. I'd love to work with her. I'd be happy to work in the parking lot. Parking is my dream’. Date: 4 march 2012. Then Hyeri is proclaimed dead on 20 February 2019. There is a blurry double of Eun Ho face (dissociation). She rips the death proclamation, as if to say "I don't accept this death" but here it would rather be "I'll make Hyeri continue to live". Should be the first step of dissociation process.
58:17 - She asks a boss for a favour (to hire Hyeri in the car park). The visual fiesta continues: Heyri meets her colleague, the image is in black & white, but the colour of the booth in yellow. The colleague asks her name. She replies: I'm Joo Eun... (but corrects) Joo Hyeri. She starts to confuse her age too. Finally says 25, should be the age of Hyeri if she was alive. It seems that this scene shows the moment when Eun Ho begins to disassociate herself from Hyeri. Even though she deliberately provoked this moment by signing on to the parking. Very strange and surprising. Eun Ho wakes up one morning and can't remember how Hyeri injured her leg. She goes to see a therapist.
01:00:30 - Black & White flashback sequence. Therapist. Visual detail: Eun Ho's chair is red.
01:01:05 - End of flashbacks. Eun Ho at home. Wants to know who Ju Yun is.
01:02:05 - She goes to see him at work! Another scene I'm so curious to see. He arrives in the hall!!! And calls her Hyeri, of course. AAAAH! Very long exchanged glances..... For the ending song. Classic jealousy cliché: Hyeon O arrives by chance and sees them. Problem: he calls out to her ‘Yah, Eun Ho!’ Ayaya... even better. Fast music. Detail in the background: students with red balloons. The very last shot: Eun Ho's face BUT only one eye visible, the other hidden by her hair. Excellent shot!
I've noted the episode's qualities. There are also flaws. The abuse of unfamiliar names and some of the dialogue about various plots is a bit convoluted.
EPISODE 05. - p9 Too bad, I'm half episode and realize I didn't take notes. As I'm tired, not sure I can do much today about that too.
26:00, the cops are too pissed off by her, and force her to stop investigation with them. Only, at last moment, she's about to say a spoiler... but quits!! Now they will have to run after her... ahhhaha!
- p10
07:00, it's fun SH and WS look at each other, thinking the other one is the most seductive.
I've watched up to Episode 14. There's non-stop information flowing with every few minutes but no time to process…
You are definitely too far ahead and I can't catch you if I can. lol! I've lot of work these days. So, I'm tired. Now I watch that, it's cool as a rewatch, I can have a bit less concentration.
Start watching. I bet you won't be able to stop watching. 😄 If you do, you are welcome in my review "comment zone". Just don't read last posts to avoid spoiler.
Park Shin Hye is just so effing beautiful and she is amazing in this. I feel like shouting out at all the people…
Hi! How are you? Glad to see you here. She's one of my favorite actress, but the "badass girl" style isn't her best. Her acting is stellar in sensitive women, with lot of crying. No one cry better than her in dramaworld. I was thinking the drama wouldn't exploit her full potential, but now it could be.
Why do I feel like the Assembly Jeong is the big bad guy, who arranged the real Kang Bitna to be stabbed
Because it's an obvious cliché plot. Sorry to kill your interest for the drama. 😆 I still add a spoiler: he is not the executor but only the initiator. He asked his mad son to stab her. Sooo healthy family, as we get in sooo many dramas. 😅
Interesting. Without much knowledge about DID, I just see it like that with general psychological one. Eun Ho…
As writer, I lived a crazy experience about a character. It's just an experience among many amazing ones, but this one is really something.
- He falls in the water from high with a girl. - In a further scene, his friend empty a bottle of water on his face. I was about to delete that, because it sounded like an easy gag and maybe to harsh from his friend. But thanks to an instinct, I didn't. - In a later scene: the girl spreads water on him, just to make a bad joke. Ditto, I was about to delete, it sounded too outrageous and cruel. But I didn't.
So, my last version of the script was this. While proofreading, I could see that finally, it makes sens. His friend was tired and pissed off. The girl is anyway whimsical and needed to test his patience as an important plot point. I was happy, and decided it was good enough.
Months later, I'm reading an article by chance, about baptism symbolism. I was just amazed and shocked to learn it means an important change in someone life. Well of course. How could it be otherwise. Just I wasn't aware I used that.
Then, I've gone back to read again the scenes: Each time the character was falling in water or spread with water was just the instant before a big change in his life. - First time, he falls in love with the girl. - Second time, he meets his mentor, helping him to become a man. - Third time, the girl agrees to be his girlfriend.
It's so crazy. It means, just using intuition, and because it's universal symbolism I'm not even aware, I used the right content. And it's even more miraculous when that has to come in an accurate way with the rest of the story. It's like the story itself had a global symbiosis, and myself was just a channel for a greater meaning I can't control. But it also a moment when I could see how the conscious connects with the unconscious.
I remember now: there is a problem with the text box when you edit a message. If you click elsewhere, the textbox disappear and you loose your modifications. It's more safe to copy-paste in a notepad, write, then copy-paste in the textbox, when you do a big edit of a text.
As fun fact, people think I choose this username because I'm hoping they will produce a season 2. But I don't think they will. Nickname is for fans of the drama. So they could check my profile and enjoy reading the season 2.
For sure W concept opens possibilities, but I made sure to avoid this trap: just use a new manhwa and repeat season 1. Engine of the drama is how the high-concept unfold until the end in a logical way, always producing something new. What makes the manhwa phenomenon an antagonist. I focused on that point, because it's what create the chill effect.
It's what I loved in the drama. About stories blurring real and fiction, it was the most extreme one I ever watched, about how far it goes in the meta. Then I rec you the US action-comedy movie "Last action hero". For a two hours, they pushed the meta enough.
Interesting. Without much knowledge about DID, I just see it like that with general psychological one. Eun Ho…
You explain better than me, my english is poor. If I makes the math: 37 - 9 = 28
When Eun Ho killed her part of herself, it stayed dormant during almost 28 years, until the break-up. Then, my living-dead theory about why Hyeri personnality looks like a zombi now. Waking-up from a 28 years coma.
I published about that before, ocean is an universal symbol of the mind. Mmmh, I probably read that in C.G. Jung books a long time ago. What is on the surface is the conscious mind, and what's undersea is the unconscious. The conscious mind is fragile, swayed, and could drown. Living without consciousness or becoming mad.
So, can be intentional by the writer or not, it doesn't matter as it's natural to use universal symbolism. We find that when Eun Ho ask Hyeon O if he would save her to drown and he answers "No", it means also: "you can become mad, I don't care and won't save you from that".
As he comes to help her at end of episode 2, it sounds like: "now, I'm ready to understand you about your personnality problem". Of course if she confess it to him, because before she hide it to him in a scene, after he met Hyeri.
In episode 1, the beach scene. There is also a reference to the sea. When she has feet in the water and falls. Ji On makes fun of her and tells her "you are like an alguea". I take that as a metaphor of her mind too. Someone with will and consciousness is more like the captain of a boat, able to navigate in life, with enough strength to deal with the deep sea, aka backflow of the unconscious. But an alguea? Just float and follow the stream without decision. A passive life but at least, an alguea doesn't drown. Then, I interpret that Eun Ho lived like an alguea during 28 years, but it will change now.
On that, another strong symbol: when she falls in the water, it's an universal symbol of baptism, what means a spiritual change. It's great but also risky, then she could drown, but must starts to navigate.
Eunho lives upstairs in 302 while Hyeri lives in 301. Eunho is aware of Hyeri's presence and her living in 301,…
We can make conclusions from the drama. Hyun O was surprised by Hyeri personnality, so he doesn't know she has split-disorder. As they lived together 8 years, it means she didn't have the split-disorder during this time. However, we guess it was dormant, then her cringe behavior. The trauma is older than her couple, but the split-disorder triggers only after they break-up.
I repost again my poster analys: https://i.imgur.com/ylGbQfC.jpeg
The intro credit anime also resume the story.
We see Eun Ho in a grey world, the world of her business. She sees a painting showing a river and colourful trees. The painting becomes a passageway to this other world. Her grey clothes become coloured. Then Hyeri guides her. The final scene shows a girl meeting an unknown man (seen from a distance).
Hyeon O has to go to an ancestral rite. Confusing as there are new names. Then his family in a big mansion. Lots of characters, and they spend their time talking about other characters we don't know. Ouch! Screenplay error. Impossible exposition to remember.
They talk about the guests who are coming: Ji On, who we know.
Su Jeong, impossible to remember her name, but we know her, Hyeon O's presumed sister.
We see photos of Ji On with the women in the family.
03:15 - It was a flashback. In a complicated way, phone call from Su Jung. Hyeon O knows about Eun Ho's distress call. Lots of names again. Ouch.
04:00 - Cut direct to Eun Ho + Hyeon O on the harbour.
She's so shocked that he has to help her put on her seatbelt.
05:52, Close-up on a pendant attached to the dashboard. I'm guessing, relating to their relationship? Something like ‘he never forgot her?’.
06:30 - The message was sent to Mi Yeon, not to him.
I made a mistake in my recap of episode 2. Damn.
Hence the complicated story of who contacts whom.
Hyeon O doesn't want to say that he came for her, but because there was a dead body (risky situation).
07:20, close-up on his shoes. Not the same ones. Pointing out that he panicked and came as quickly as he could. She sees this but says nothing. Just guesses he's lying and has come for her.
Unforeseen: she asks him never to come for her again, even if she dies. I love it! She doesn't want to get her hopes up and suffer.
08:15 - He goes out to follow her... to say something.
It's ultra slow, but actually quite tense. Suspense... What is he going to say?!
‘You bother me". loooooool!
08:45 - Episode title: Wish.
08:47 - Office. Irony: He's talking about a love story similar to Hyeon O and Eun Ho's situation. Lol. And he has to answer ‘is it love or obsession?’. CUT! We'll know the answer later?
10:20 - Su Jung + Hyeon O.
Eun Ho and Hyeon O broke up 4 years ago!
Su Jung: ‘as a producer, she should have stopped drinking alcohol’ + She was scolded by the boss.
@Cleo: your wish is granted ^^
Su Jung convinced that he still loves Eun Ho, even though she's never had a boyfriend (such a cute girl??!)
13:10 - New character. A guy who's back in the media company.
Jeon Jae Yong. Seems to annoy Kim Sin Jung.
14:45 - Parking.
Ju Yun does not park in his usual place. Hyeri absent. Is it morning?
15:00 - Office. Ju Yun + Pretty Hye Yeon.
Amusing. He has no idea if his co-presenter is pretty.
Makes sense for a guy who doesn't care about women, and hasn't had a problem with Hyeri's cringe-worthy appearance.
She pesters him. ‘Do you think I'm pretty?’.
Unexpected: ‘Yes, you're pretty’. LOL!
15:30 - Since this is probably the first time he's said something so nice to her, she makes the conclusion that he's seeing another woman. Ahah! Brilliant.
Problem: now she wants to find out who that woman is (hyeri!)
17:00 - Whatever his relationship is, she wants to sabotage it! She asks a co-worker for help: ‘be natural and slithery like a snake climbing the wall’.
This augurs that she will use disloyal means to sabotage any relationship Ju Yun has with anyone other than herself.
18:00 - Comedy scene in the canteen. Hye Yeon's plan to find out more about Ju Yun's relationship fails.
19:30 - Car park, night. Ju Yun leaves. Hyeri is absent.
20:00 - Long shot: two flower pots in front of the yellow booth. Strange shot.
20:15 - Ju Yun at home. Silence, solitude.
Shot of Hyeri's drink. He misses her. Flashback.
Hyeri: everything smells good about you.
Then: how did you get those eyes?
Excellent! All subtext. She doesn't say ‘sad eyes’, but we understand. He tells us about his brother Se-Yeon (flashback within a flashback).
No father, and his brother was also like a father. The actor playing the brother seems to be the same as Ju Yun.
Accident, coma, mother who blames Ju Yun that it's her fault. Arh.
Back with Hyeri.
Ju Yun: what's the point of fulfilling a dead man's dream for him?
However, that's what he's going to do, leave the army to become a presenter (his brother's dream).
Ju Yun: That'll make my brother happy (dude, he's dead!).
Hyeri: Your brother is happy, but what about you?
In the end, she's the one who asks the question he needed.
28:33 - End of flashbacks. Back to the glass!
28:55 - Parking, day. Hyeri + Ju Yun.
She's carrying a signpost. (reminds me of the drama Pinocchio)
Note: in this scene, Hyeri no longer has her ghostly hair fringes. She also speaks more easily.
A dreamy romantic scene ^^
33:10 - Spied on by the... new guy? Jeon Jae Yong?
He recognises Eun Ho. But not sure.
33:27 - Car, night. Co-worker reveals to Hye Yeon that he saw Ju Yun smiling at a woman (Hyeri?).
I hope jealous Hye Yeon creates a bunch of annoying complications. ahah!
He can't remember who the woman is... but they get to the parking lot, so....
‘That's her!’... Hyeri... Spicy situation. I like it.
Hye Yeon sees Hyeri + Ju Yun smiling at each other. Aaahh!!!!
35:05 - Dring! Alarm clock, 4am, Eun Ho.
Then, TV set.
The new guy Jae Yong is an annoying clown.
Visit from big chief Seo. He doesn't even know Eun Ho!
Infamous, he calls her old.
He wants to give the antenna to a young woman Shim Jin A instead.
Certainly a bitch, the way she looks defiantly at Eun Ho.
Possibly Chief Seo is having a sexual affair with Jin A.
Kim Sin Jung informs Hyeon O.
38:37 - clown Jae Yong + Hyeon O.
Wants to talk about Eun Ho but leaves. Weird scene.
38:43 - Chef Seo yells at Eun Ho about pronunciation. Injustice!
Chef Seo is obnoxious. ahah! She leaves the office angry.
Hyeon O arrives but CUT. Will he try to help her?
40:50 - clown Jae Yong + Sin Jung.
He blurts out that he saw Eun Ho in the car park.
Ayayyaaa... the situation is getting complicated, more and more people are seeing Hyeri.
43:00 - Round table of presenters against Eun Ho.
What kind of witch court is this? aaah!
They accuse her of having travelled for her two reports.
(This seems to be a reporter's job, not a presenter's.)
Hyeon O enters.
Aya, the Jin A bitch gets involved.
Asks Eun Ho to apologise + says she's been dreaming of being a presenter since 11.
45:40, Flashback of Eun Ho (at 11).
After someone (Hyeri?) dies, she becomes obsessed with the TV presenter.
She wants to become a presenter like her.
47:10, back to the present.
Finally, Eun Ho apologises.
Ends strangely, ‘Now let me go home’.
This seems to be a message for Hyeon O.
A line from the next scene?
49:25 - Flashback Eun-Ho + Hyeon O, night.
Continuation of scene 08:15, ‘You bother me’.
Hyeon O: ‘I hate it when people ask me: why did I ever have feelings for you? It's embarrassing. So I want you to succeed without my help’.
Eun Ho answer in resume: "we broke up, so why should you be embarassed because I'm not good in my work. It's not your business anymore, so let me be bad in my work. I wasn't good already when we were together, it was all about you and how much you shine".
The director has a blast in this scene: some shots are cropped. I can't remember the technical name. Shot from the car. And 51:06, incredible shot, she's turned to the right, and he's behind her back in a mirror reflection I suppose. It's a real visual fiesta !!!!
+ Sensational acting!!! Best scene of the episode.
52:20 - Back to the present. Eun Ho gets out of the lift.
+ clown Jae Yong, formerly known as ‘Gold bat’.
He tells her he saw Hyeri.
‘They say she's your sister, but your sister is dead’.
Good confirmation. This clown has no tact. What a jerk!
Eun Ho: My sister is not dead.
Surprising!
54:33 - Flashback, but... in black & white!
Eun Ho (a young woman) receives a phone call saying ‘Hyeri has disappeared’.
The mystery thickens. So Hyeri didn't die when Eun Ho was a child!
Disappearance in Giyidong forest.
Awesome sound-effects/BGM.
Eun Ho opens a memory box of Hyeri.
55:58 - still black & white BUT, a yellow sunlight on her back. Brilliant!
As soon as she picks up the diary, light and colour come into it while the rest remains grey.
Reminder, my analysis of the poster: https://i.imgur.com/ylGbQfC.jpeg
Eun Ho reads the diary, the diary of a girl who is always cheerful and admires her sister.
The text is crazy: ‘Eun Ho wants to be a presenter. I'd love to work with her. I'd be happy to work in the parking lot. Parking is my dream’. Date: 4 march 2012.
Then Hyeri is proclaimed dead on 20 February 2019.
There is a blurry double of Eun Ho face (dissociation).
She rips the death proclamation, as if to say "I don't accept this death" but here it would rather be "I'll make Hyeri continue to live". Should be the first step of dissociation process.
58:17 - She asks a boss for a favour (to hire Hyeri in the car park).
The visual fiesta continues: Heyri meets her colleague, the image is in black & white, but the colour of the booth in yellow. The colleague asks her name.
She replies: I'm Joo Eun... (but corrects) Joo Hyeri.
She starts to confuse her age too. Finally says 25, should be the age of Hyeri if she was alive.
It seems that this scene shows the moment when Eun Ho begins to disassociate herself from Hyeri. Even though she deliberately provoked this moment by signing on to the parking. Very strange and surprising.
Eun Ho wakes up one morning and can't remember how Hyeri injured her leg. She goes to see a therapist.
01:00:30 - Black & White flashback sequence. Therapist.
Visual detail: Eun Ho's chair is red.
01:01:05 - End of flashbacks. Eun Ho at home.
Wants to know who Ju Yun is.
01:02:05 - She goes to see him at work!
Another scene I'm so curious to see.
He arrives in the hall!!! And calls her Hyeri, of course. AAAAH!
Very long exchanged glances..... For the ending song.
Classic jealousy cliché: Hyeon O arrives by chance and sees them.
Problem: he calls out to her ‘Yah, Eun Ho!’
Ayaya... even better. Fast music.
Detail in the background: students with red balloons.
The very last shot: Eun Ho's face BUT only one eye visible, the other hidden by her hair. Excellent shot!
I've noted the episode's qualities. There are also flaws. The abuse of unfamiliar names and some of the dialogue about various plots is a bit convoluted.
- p9
Too bad, I'm half episode and realize I didn't take notes.
As I'm tired, not sure I can do much today about that too.
26:00, the cops are too pissed off by her, and force her to stop investigation with them.
Only, at last moment, she's about to say a spoiler... but quits!!
Now they will have to run after her... ahhhaha!
- p10
07:00, it's fun SH and WS look at each other, thinking the other one is the most seductive.
END
If you do, you are welcome in my review "comment zone".
Just don't read last posts to avoid spoiler.
She's one of my favorite actress, but the "badass girl" style isn't her best.
Her acting is stellar in sensitive women, with lot of crying.
No one cry better than her in dramaworld.
I was thinking the drama wouldn't exploit her full potential, but now it could be.
I still add a spoiler: he is not the executor but only the initiator.
He asked his mad son to stab her.
Sooo healthy family, as we get in sooo many dramas. 😅
- He falls in the water from high with a girl.
- In a further scene, his friend empty a bottle of water on his face. I was about to delete that, because it sounded like an easy gag and maybe to harsh from his friend. But thanks to an instinct, I didn't.
- In a later scene: the girl spreads water on him, just to make a bad joke. Ditto, I was about to delete, it sounded too outrageous and cruel. But I didn't.
So, my last version of the script was this. While proofreading, I could see that finally, it makes sens. His friend was tired and pissed off. The girl is anyway whimsical and needed to test his patience as an important plot point. I was happy, and decided it was good enough.
Months later, I'm reading an article by chance, about baptism symbolism. I was just amazed and shocked to learn it means an important change in someone life. Well of course. How could it be otherwise. Just I wasn't aware I used that.
Then, I've gone back to read again the scenes: Each time the character was falling in water or spread with water was just the instant before a big change in his life.
- First time, he falls in love with the girl.
- Second time, he meets his mentor, helping him to become a man.
- Third time, the girl agrees to be his girlfriend.
It's so crazy. It means, just using intuition, and because it's universal symbolism I'm not even aware, I used the right content. And it's even more miraculous when that has to come in an accurate way with the rest of the story. It's like the story itself had a global symbiosis, and myself was just a channel for a greater meaning I can't control. But it also a moment when I could see how the conscious connects with the unconscious.
For sure W concept opens possibilities, but I made sure to avoid this trap: just use a new manhwa and repeat season 1. Engine of the drama is how the high-concept unfold until the end in a logical way, always producing something new. What makes the manhwa phenomenon an antagonist. I focused on that point, because it's what create the chill effect.
It's what I loved in the drama. About stories blurring real and fiction, it was the most extreme one I ever watched, about how far it goes in the meta.
Then I rec you the US action-comedy movie "Last action hero". For a two hours, they pushed the meta enough.
Thanks for your kind words and Cheers too.
If I makes the math: 37 - 9 = 28
When Eun Ho killed her part of herself, it stayed dormant during almost 28 years, until the break-up. Then, my living-dead theory about why Hyeri personnality looks like a zombi now. Waking-up from a 28 years coma.
I published about that before, ocean is an universal symbol of the mind. Mmmh, I probably read that in C.G. Jung books a long time ago. What is on the surface is the conscious mind, and what's undersea is the unconscious. The conscious mind is fragile, swayed, and could drown. Living without consciousness or becoming mad.
So, can be intentional by the writer or not, it doesn't matter as it's natural to use universal symbolism. We find that when Eun Ho ask Hyeon O if he would save her to drown and he answers "No", it means also: "you can become mad, I don't care and won't save you from that".
As he comes to help her at end of episode 2, it sounds like: "now, I'm ready to understand you about your personnality problem". Of course if she confess it to him, because before she hide it to him in a scene, after he met Hyeri.
In episode 1, the beach scene. There is also a reference to the sea. When she has feet in the water and falls. Ji On makes fun of her and tells her "you are like an alguea". I take that as a metaphor of her mind too. Someone with will and consciousness is more like the captain of a boat, able to navigate in life, with enough strength to deal with the deep sea, aka backflow of the unconscious. But an alguea? Just float and follow the stream without decision. A passive life but at least, an alguea doesn't drown. Then, I interpret that Eun Ho lived like an alguea during 28 years, but it will change now.
On that, another strong symbol: when she falls in the water, it's an universal symbol of baptism, what means a spiritual change. It's great but also risky, then she could drown, but must starts to navigate.