• Last Online: 1 day ago
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Miami Beach, U.S.A.
  • Total Edits: 0 LV0
  • Join Date: October 27, 2019

Henry Edward L

Miami Beach, U.S.A.

Henry Edward L

Miami Beach, U.S.A.
Love by Chance
Dec 22, 2019
Note: The producers have announced two weeks ago there will be a S2 where they will give closure to the many unresolved issues pending from S1. This review will be revised at that point.

•••

A punch is never worse than when not expected. This is the most heart wrenching and gratuitously cruel ending I have seen in years. It is beyond sad, beyond sorrowful; it is just plain upsetting.

The supporting characters, Tin and Can, eventually take over the drama while the main characters fade into the distance and turn rather insipid. But while the main characters achieve the cheesiest of romantic endings, Tin and Can end up in total devastation; one which caught me by surprise and really upset me because there was no anticipation, no purpose, and nothing other than a cruel knock out to what appeared to have been, at first, a movie about redemption and hope.

A drama that promised to be one of the best LB stories of the year turned out to be a nightmare of frustration and disappointment. Tin portrayed one of the most traumatized characters I’ve seen in this type of drama, one that could have taught viewers the values of recovery and redemption. But, instead, the writer opted to cave in and give prevalence to the cowardice of Can destroying any redemptive quality this ultimately very uninspiring plot may have had.

When viewers are tricked by an exaggerated twist of fate working alongside a false sense of hope the manipulation becomes disgustingly obvious and very irritating. I consider such manipulation a sadist approach to scriptwriting and a disingenuous sense of the dramatic: in other words, this movie is a bad high school novel written by a teenager. I would not recommend it to anyone taking film-making seriously.

I must mention though, that the fault lies with the writer, producer and director. The acting was beyond good; and on occasion it was, in fact, amazing! But the story and re-watch value are worth a negative number - something below zero... which, unfortunately, this site does not allow.

In conclusion, this drama is about Can caving into negative social pressures and becoming a closeted case bringing Tin down with him, who was painted in terms of exaggerated martyrdom for the sake of an audience of masochists (or suckers like me) who must have ended the series with a horrible taste in their mouths. A drama made for Xanax and in the service of the anti-depressant pharmaceutical industry, no doubt... XD.

I have made note of the director’s name to remove every single movie he has made from my watchlist - like I would any movie made by manipulative, frivolous, and callous writers with an exaggerated sense of the dramatic and a pitiful sense of resolution. Gratuitous pain is not welcomed; I find it trite!

HIStory3: Make Our Days Count
Dec 28, 2019
What a train wreck of inept scriptwriting! Did the producers switch writers for the last episode? This is sheer cruelty for cruelty’s sake.

Mind you, my problem is with the lazy and disjointed writing of episode 10; the entire cast and its performance, on the other hand, was outstanding - from Wayne and ChuanChih, to the entire Xiang family, and the ZENREN homies - all of it was top-notch.

However, it is horrifying to me to watch nine episodes of a carefully crafted series where one is witness to the blooming of love, the growth of one character inspired by the support of another, the working together towards a common goal in spite of all adversities… just to see everything unravel in a senseless and meaningless tragedy abruptly thrown into the mix as if to wrap everything up quickly and hush-hush.

This is the first time I wish I had not seen one of these stories. And not because of the sad ending, do not get me wrong: I am not against sad. I am upset at the gratuitous cruelty of this very inept writer. Episode 10 (finale) has all of the classic signs of an abrupt ending resulting from an administrative decision other than what the plot naturally required. This was not a car veering off the road… this was a train wreck!

Tale of the Lost Boys
Dec 17, 2019
This is a very touching and well made movie… with none of the nonsense and frivolities often associated with movies of this genre. This is not a Mary Poppins, feel-good movie but a real drama that happenes to bring two guys together of different sexual inclinations but with equally traumatic family backgrounds. A movie of growth, development, and the deepest empathy - one which gives the main characters the strength necessary to confront their ghosts.

The acting is good, with performances by the main characters that are inspiring - although at times they seem a little awkward... especially towards the beginning of the movie. But the performances soon take off. Their best scenes are the more intimate ones towards the end of the movie when they share thoughts, advice, and a few heart-wrenching confessions. Their acting, in fact, gets progressively better to the point where towards the end of the movie they can make you cry.

The story is the movie’s strongest seller. It is well developed, down to earth, touching and moving from beginning to end. The editing moves the viewer seamlessly from one scene to the next; the flow is natural... it almost feels like real life. Perhaps because the movie is life itself: full of things that apply to real people... the stress of family conditioning, the expectation of parents, the stress of young people who have endured some kind of abuse... who hasn’t suffered one or more of these vicisitudes? It is a movie from which we can all learn something in our own particular way.

The rewatch value is among the highest I have seen. It is a comforting movie showing two men of different backgrounds and inclinations coming together to be a comfort to each other and in that sense it is the kind of movie I would want to see over, and over and over again.

HIStory2: Boundary Crossing
Dec 7, 2019
With regards to BL stories: it doesn’t get any better than this!

1. An uncomplicated plot which is easy to follow.
2. Not one but TWO perfectly charming couples of incredible chemistry.
3. A ‘bad’ guy (à la James Dean) turning good who was good from the beginning.
4. And a perfect world where all of these gay affairs take place in friendly settings and surrounded by a cadre of supporting friends.

And best of all, in the middle of all of this high-apple-pie-in-the-sky kind of dreamland, the series somehow makes one forget that reality is anything but and the entire story strikes one as real: as if the world had been turned upside down. And all of it without leaving out some heart wrenching scenes between crisscrossed lovers that would put many Mexican soap operas to shame... lol. I mean... this is my dream script come true!

Oh, and to top it all off… check episode 4 for the most ardent and passionate kiss between two guys I have seen in anyone of all of these BL stories. And mind you, I do not watch BL stories for the physical display; I get my fill of that without any need for celluloid... LOL. It’s just that this one is so hot and yet so tastefully done.

I seldom ever give a perfect score but...

The Story is a 10 because you will enjoy it from beginning to end without a drag.

The Acting is a 10 because in spite of their age they act as if they had been acting for ages.

And the rewatch value is a 10 because this is, in fact... the second time I watch it!

Lastly, the series also carries a strong message with a few pearls of wisdom that would put most conservatives, and many Christians I know, to shame. When asked if he believed in genderless love and could like a man, Qiu Zi Xuan answered: “The key of ‘like’ is ‘like’ itself.”

BAM!

Faded
Dec 5, 2019
I wanted to write this review in support of the countless numbers of gay Chinese who have to endure the censorship of a couple of obtuse misogynistic old farts in power who still carry their heads up their behinds at the beginning of the XXI century.

A sweet little film, not without its faults, but with a positive message repeating what most enlightened people have been saying for millennia: ‘Love’ does not respond to gender. That which does is simply called sex! ‘Love’ per se is in a diffeenret plateau all together; far away, above and inaccessible to the undeveloped spirit.

The story is short but rich and well developed - considering the limitations of time; the acting is neither here nor there - yet courageous; the mother is a model of pure humanitarian spirit; and... would I see it again?

No need. I will carry this message in my heart forever.

HIStory2: Right or Wrong
Nov 23, 2019
The story intertwines the fates of two dysfunctional people: Shi Yi Jie, a cynical professor and divorced father of a lovely little girl... and Fei Sheng Zhe, a traumatized teenager who had been the victim of homophobic bullying and had had his heart broken by a treacherous first love. As destiny has it, they will find redemption in their new relationship leading to an outcome neither one of the two could anticipate. A comforting film which, without being too mushy or attempting to dwell too long on the stressful side of gay life, it manages to show the tender side of a committed relationship at the same time it touches on the stresses connected to a life lived in the fear of rejection and denunciation.

The story is very well built, with no loose ends and edited such that it is easy to follow in spite of its complexity; the flashbacks are seamless and the plot is as dramatic and spellbinding as that of larger and more polished productions.

The acting is also a wonderful match to the story; the chemistry - such an important element in this genre of movies - is there across the entire cast... between the two main characters and among all of the supporting cast. The performances of Jiang Chang Hui and the younger Hang Zhang are particularly striking.

The music didn’t strike me as particularly noteworthy, but now then the movie didn’t really call for a musical background a great deal; it rested mainly on the performance of its protagonists. And with regards to its rewatch value, I have seen this movie twice already; the movie’s redeeming values and general good feel makes it a joy to watch it twice.

2 Moons 2: The Series
Nov 4, 2019
This is somewhat of an unconventional review; more an opinion than the standard format I usually follow.

What Wayo did to Park inviting him to the movies and feeding him popcorn to get Pha jealous was despicable; it left a very bad taste in my mouth and I lost all respect for the duplicitous little angel (Wayo) and watched the rest of the series with great displeasure.

What was the director thinking including a scene like this one… what did it contribute? For all I know, Park may have been a good guy turned bad by Wayo’s unconscionable behavior (at least in the movie - I understand the novel portrays him in a very different light). Park - no doubt - did wrong posting compromising pictures of Wayo, but Wayo did worse using him in such self serving manner while at the same time posing as the tender little hypocritical angel he turned out to be.

And some of you will say, “Wayo was only trying to make Pha jealous”, to which I answer: You’re missing the point! Wayo malevolently used a human being who was expressing interest in him and had until that point tried to make amends.

For all of Wayo’s defenders out there, there is a saying: “Don’t label an angel good who has managed to awaken the devil”.

Some More
Dec 16, 2019
I liked the first short I saw from Strongberry Productions so much, that I decided to buy a copy of this second short from Vimeo since it is not available for free. And by the way, I love sponsoring these great directors and producers doing such fine job with such limited resources and was happy paying the money - and would have purchased other shorts from the same production company in the future.

WARNING!!!

However, the Vimeo website clearly indicated... languages: Korean and English... and I trusted them! But to our surprise, when I started up my home theater to watch this movie I discovered the english subtitles only appear on my iPad, and computer and not on the home entertainment screen in front of my friends.

Happily, me and my friends do not watch movies on iPads with earbuds while riding the bus, or at the school library.

Sadly, we do not speak Korean either and relied on the website’s description of services believing its subtitles would be available on t.v. monitors and large screen systems.

Therefore, we have had to make different plans for our afternoon of fun and relaxation, now lying by the pool on a drafty and overcast day where chilled wine makes absolutely no sense; thank you. This was NOT a very pleasant beginning for what has turned out to be a very short commercial engagement.

We obviously watched the short with a Korean friend present who translated the dialogue; but, I will never again purchase any other film from Strongberry Productions or Vimeo. I do want to warn future viewers who purchase a copy of this movie (who do not enjoy the pleasure of speaking Korean) that you will have to watch it within the small confines of an iPad… which is perfectly fine for some, but not for others, and should have been specified in the Vimeo website.

Long Time No See
Nov 26, 2019
This is a short Korean drama about two hired assassins working for opposing mobsters. The drama brings the two young assassins together, Flying Dagger and Wild Dog, in a way that will lead to unexpected results amidst a great deal of violence and betrayal. Will they fall in love and overcome the multiple obstacles their relationship will trigger; or will they remain loyal to their gangster bosses and kill each other? In a world of skewed morals the strangest outcomes are possible.

The story is very cogent... with a number of necessary flashbacks - all of them tying in nicely without disrupting the main story. The editing is a little loose, with a few jumps between scenes which may have been the result of censorship but which definitely left a hole in an otherwise easy flowing movie.

The acting is very good on average; the two main characters play their parts well, even to the point of inspiring trust in the unsuspecting viewers. Though I must make special mention of the villainous character, Black Rose, played by Kim Mying Hwan. He plays his part exceedingly well... the viewer will grow to hate him.

Sound and music works well for a movie of this sort with plenty of ominous soundtracks and with regards to its rewatch value, the movie is indeed interesting enough to watch again in a few years.

Love Sick 2: The Series
The first 6 episodes were rich and full of potential with incredible chemistry between all of its couples and a variety of plots that kept you always entertained.

And then all hell broke loose: with too much concentration around Noh and Phun, which dragged on forever. All of it at the cost of what could have been very fulfilling sidelines... mainly, Pang and Pop, Ohm and Mick, and Win, Per and Mark. These were left hanging never reaching an end.

You will enjoy the first half of the drama very much. After that, it drags on and leaving all sorts of loose ends reaching the most unsatisfactory final episode I have ever seen.

Acting is good. Music is better and rewatch value is an absolutely negative -1. XD.

I Am Your King 2
Jan 17, 2020
A flop inside a dud, that fizzled flat after washing out. This was a complete waste of my time. And I hope it does not become yours.

The plot was as silly as it gets and the editing came out of a third grade student. The flashbacks were the worst: confusing and some of them irrelevant.

The acting was gracious on occasion but mostly flat the rest of the time. And there was no chemistry between actors - everything looked forced.

Although I do not go by generalizations, in this case I have to mention that the reviews, overall, have been largely negative and the series did not build up a large number of followers - like other more successful ones: TharnType, Dark Blue Kiss, etc.

Find You In The Crowd
Dec 5, 2019
I don’t know where to start when something as promising as this short film has fallen so short of delivery. The movie has a very strong premise and the story tackles a very promising play script… but somehow, things get out of hand. The editing is haphazard and one gets very easily lost between past and present – and I am the kind of person who likes And finds it easy to navigate between shifting scenes and look-backs!

Anyway, the acting is the best part of the movie: My compliments to all of the performers inside a movie as complex as this one. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same the music since I don’t understand Chinese and the lyrics escaped me completely; but, it didn’t quite sound very complementary of the different scenes.

Perhaps I will come back to see this movie again and try to make a little bit more sense of the different shifts and time and place… although, a movie shouldn’t be turned into a detectives’ game and one shouldn’t have to put it together like a puzzle.

HIStory: Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
This is the story of a love affair gone terribly wrong where one partner (Shao Yi Chen) dies with a broken heart only to be able to come back to life a few years earlier thus getting a second chance to do things right by avoiding falling in love with the same boyfriend all over again (Jiang Jing Teng). Of course, destiny has other ideas in mind - wouldn’t you know?

The story is very well done; with a tight script and a very natural dialogue... it does not sound contrived or clichéd as in so many of these serial productions. As a matter of fact, for a series so short as this one (only four episodes), the scriptwriter has done extremely well; to the point where the twist and revelations he or she inserts at the end of the series are among the best I have seen inside this category of movies. Truly excellent - it is my favorite part of the whole undertaking.

The acting is also very good; with as good a set of lead actors as their supporting cast. The chemistry between some them, especially the lead characters, is part of what makes this movie so enjoyable.

The rewatch value is very high for two reasons: it is a short series that one can watch inside of but a few hours. Bust also because the plot is complex enough that the nuances will soon be forgotten and you will be able to enjoy it as much as you did the first time when you see it again in but a few years time.

'Cause You're My Boy
Nov 19, 2019
This is the story of Mork and Tee; Mork being the son of a barber and Tee coming from a filthy rich family... (sounds familiar?). The two had been friends in middle school but when Mork made a pass at Tee, the friendship ended and they would only come across each other again in high school. Needless to say, the love is rekindled and that leads to the rest of the story.

Story wise the plot is as silly as any plot can get; even for a BL drama. But remember, BL dramas are silly by nature (in a good way); meaning by that, that there is a great deal of cute and languishing looks in the movie, sweet and warm hugs, the tantalizing presence of unrealized furtive kisses, and gay weddings with the enthusiastic participation of all of their straight male friends... you know, the kind of thing that does not really happen in a mostly uncompromisingly heterosexual world. Therefore, if there were a category for ‘escapism’... boy!, this movie would be a 10... LOL!

The acting is what can be expected of teenagers in front of a camera, some of whom are there for their looks and with very little training in the histrionic arts. But, again... you don’t come here for the acting; you come here for the fun, and to see something cute and smile at the twists and turns of a fantasy come true. Therefore, given the premises, the acting is acceptable with regards to the teenagers. The adults are a different story, with special attention to be paid to Tee’s mother, the actress Chanokwanun Rakcheep - she did an excellent job.

Rewatch value is really low on this movie, however - to no surprise, I hope. I mean, the budget for the movie was so low, they could not even rent a real mansion to film Tee and his family. The house’s interior ended up looking more like the inside of a store, a shop, or a storage room with a collection of haphazard furniture thrown together.

Overall, however, there was very good chemistry between the two main couples: Mork and Tee, and Mork’s little brother Morn and his friend Gord. As a matter of fact, I was impressed by how well the younger couple carried their roles. The story is entertaining, though it has a couple of quirky moments; sadly however, the script was a little untidy and the editing left a great deal to be desired.

But if you’re not here looking for Oscar material, and if your purpose is to relax and enjoy a collection of happy, fairy-tale-like moments intertwined with a counter dose of sad ones... this is for you! I had a good time watching it although I would not see it again for the life of me. Rewatch value in his case is zilch… BUT, that doesn’t mean anything since, in spite of it shortfalls I had a good time watching it... ‘once’. In the end, the cute factor saved the movie for those of us who want to get silly every now and then and reach the end of a gay movie without a sour aftertaste and with the reward of happy ending.

Views of Love: Grey Rainbow
Nov 15, 2019
Grey Rainbow tells of the deep love between Nuer, the son of an elephant camp owner, and Porsche - a law student and his roommate in school. Nuer is a practically minded young man who is capable of a great deal of affection and the first half of the movie shows his evolution from a close minded person living a straight life to a most accomplished young man who reaches his full development with the help of Porsche. His friend, Porsche, on the other hand is a well balanced individual from the beginning (though not exempt from doubt), showing an inclination towards the spiritual and transcendental - thus preparing the grounds for a very surprising ending; one that may not be to everybody’s liking but which is full and rich and not deprived of a sense of happiness and fulfillment.

The story is convincing; there is a great deal of social awareness in situations describing the different reactions (both negative and positive) to their condition as a gay couple. LGBT issues are handled with a great deal of sensitivity and realism which makes this movie a cut above the rest. The end however, falls into a very different category and there is a strong discrepancy between the largest part of the movie tackling everyday problems realistically (from unwanted pregnancy to parental rejection), and the abrupt ending turning very mystical and transcendental. The script needs to be polished because the change is much too abrupt.

But this shortfall can be overlooked by the mostly excellent acting of its main and supporting characters. The acting is natural, not contrived as in so many of these movies with a social agenda. Both sets of parents play a wonderful role. Pay close attention to Nuer’s parents and their Buddhist background... it is the key to understand the entire movie. It is a movie that can be seen more than once since it has multiple layers of meaning and most of it is found in the understanding that Buddhism has of love as an expression independent of sex and gender.