I am about half-way through and I am starting to get bored. Like... the beginning was pretty cool, inventive, interesting. I know it's a running gag that the comic writer has no ideas and is super cliché, but that eventually also means that in the main plot the same tropes and plots are used over and over again. That makes it repetitive and boring. I'll take a break from watching for now.
What do you mean by looking poor? The people or the royalty and officials?
I hope you enjoy, if you end up watching Empress Ki. Many people say it's one of the best Korean Historical dramas. I have yet to watch it, 50 episodes seems so much, but if you're used to Chinese dramas it shouldn't be an issue for you haha Personally, my favorite is Queen In Hyun's man. It's a bit old, and it's a time-travel drama. In the beginning it takes time to get used to the older filming style. But from episode 4 or so on, you're hooked. It brought me to tears many times. It was absolutely beautiful!
What do you mean by looking poor? The people or the royalty and officials?
Saying 'historical dramas', and 'Joseon/China' in itself is already contradictory. Korean and Chinese history is vast, and the splendor and abundance differs very much depending on the timeframe we're talking about. Be it 1000 years ago, 500 years ago, or, as in this case, just a little over 200 years ago already makes a big difference. During the Yuan period, when the peninsula was the Kingdom of Goryeo, I imagine it must have been quite splendid. There are some nice dramas about this period (Moon Lovers, albeit fictional, is set in that time period). If you're interested in the relations between Goryeo and Yuan dynasty, 'Empress Ki' is definitely recommended. I've heard good things about 'Queen for seven days' (early Joseon period). I would also say that the architecture and costumes not being as grand as in Chinese dramas isn't primarily because of poverty, but because of cultural differences. Even if you compare religious temples and such, they're much more humble as their chinese counterparts.
The first episode was so exaggerated, so many times I was like: Rly? Ugh, really cannot get to like any of this show or the characters (except for the little girl). I was hoping for some comedy but got makjang at its worst. Moves straight to my dropped list...
It hurts to see a beautiful and thoughtful drama like this getting such a low score, at least compared to other popular dramas that really cannot compare other than having big-shot actors. I wished people could see just how thought provoking and important the life lessons in this drama can be. Rewatched it many times and still in love with it.
I've finally started watching this, and I am at episode four and have to take a little break. I am definitely intrigued but it's the kind of drama that leaves you exhausted by the end of each episode. So far it has been quite the ride, with barely any light-hearted moments, and constant struggles and conflict. I think I will like it, but Life does seem very, very dark.
Actually, I just checked, and I think the best and my favorite year was 2016, followed by 2015. There were just so many iconic and memorable dramas that I've rewatched many times. In my opinion, many of the before 2013 dramas are too melodramatic, I appreciate the realism in some of the newer shows. . 2017 and 2018 were alright, but so far, 2019 has been disappointing. I only have 5 finished dramas in 2019. In every other year, I had more than 20 finished dramas. Sure, 2019 isn't over yet, but I don't have that much hope. I am just praying that 2019 was a bad year and they'll learn from that and we can look forward to some great K-dramas next year. Personally, I cannot enjoy C-Dramas :(
I think it is natural that over the years, many things will change. In my opinion, it really is a matter of getting too accustomed to something, until you just get sick of it. Looking back on the past 15 years or so of my life, I always went through phases. First it was Anime, then it was Shonen Ai, then it was bandom and fan fiction, then it shifted into Korean dramas and now it's slowly coming back to books and western TV series. One aspect, certainly, is just getting older, growing up, finding interest in new things. The other aspect is that each of those genre has a certain kind of thematics... Things are gonna be and feel similar with those. So if you've transitioned to Chinese dramas, that's just fine. But I assure you, once you've watched 200 Chinese dramas, you'll feel bored and you'll miss the spark and look for something new. Why? Because you've seen it all. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule. I for my part think that in general the quality of production in Korean dramas has become much better over the years. The cinematography, directing and music, are on a whole different level as they used to before (and let's not forget the skinship guys, the skinship). But the problem lies within the writing. It's difficult to find a drama with really good and memorable writing. Personally, my favorites from 2018 and 2019 were: My Fellow Citizens Her private life Mistress Familiar Wife Terius Behind Me Wok of Love
and to some extend, even though with flaws: Memories of the Alhambra Lawless Attorney Doctor John
But, I agree, none of them make me feel like 'It's Okay, that's love' or 'city Hunter' or 'my love from another star' did. But honestly, if I rewatched those dramas now, I would probably not be able to love them as much as the first time around. That's just how things are.
yeah I agree. Since I watched Go Back Couple first, this one is far from being as good and effective as Go Back…
I also watched Go Back Couple first. But actually, while Go Back Couple is funnier and wittier, this one left a lasting expression and really warmed me from within, so I enjoyed it more. They are both just very different. Also, I believe 2 episodes are not enough to judge this. It's a great drama with loads of character growth!
I wasn't sure what to expect here, but I was positively surprised. I absolutely loved the drama! I haven't been able to make it through many romcoms without being bored at some point, so it came unexpected that it felt very refreshing. What I loved, besides the amazing character dynamics and not a single evil character in this, was that they explored the always hovering doubts of 'what if', without going overboard. The writing was great, it just felt so.... natural. I think it is a drama with important life lessons, especially for relationships and marriage. In the end, it just brought a huge smile to my face, and I am sure I'll watch it again at some point. 9/10
I watched the show in two days after a long drama slump. I am not sure if I can say I 'enjoyed and loved' it,…
And as many other people, two things that annoyed me were firstly, her haircut, and secondly, the ending. Shi Young is anything but stupid. She was already at the airport ready to go to him, but then a coworker of Yo Han pulls some bullshit with 'involved in a big project'. Who would buy that? Yo Han has never been anything but honest and forthcoming with his feelings and he knows it would drive her insane if he just vanished. A day without contact? Fine. A week? Questionable. A month? Pack your bags and get your ass over there because it's clear as day they're lying to you and your lover is probably fighting death somewhere. I thought 6 months was pushing it, but 3 years?? Getting ghosted by someone you loved really messes with your head, and although I understand that he did it because he didn't even know how much time he'd have left to live, it's still such an asshole move and she forgave him way too easily. So, gah, I didn't like that development and I think they didn't play the cards right. If they had somehow spun it differently, I'd have appreciated the ending much more. Like in Oh My Venus, damn that reunion was similar but so much more emotional and understandable.
I watched the show in two days after a long drama slump. I am not sure if I can say I 'enjoyed and loved' it, when there is so much pain and sorrow involved, but it was a great show. I think the first four episodes or so were my favorites to watch, because it seemed refreshing and despite there being pain, it wasn't as palpable as later on, when it sometimes became near unbearable. I know it is difficult to balance tragedy with comedy or some uplifting moments, but in the latter half of the show, the sadness was overwhelming at times and I would have wished for some lightheartedness (other than silly moments from the first years) every now and then. Even so, the writing of this drama was brilliant and actually managed to shake me to my core at times. I had never given that much thought to euthanasia, pain management and the 'what if's' of never ending pain and the choice we would be faced with when a loved one is at the brink of death. If I could summarize the drama with a single word, it would be 'touching'. I am not sure if I'll ever rewatch it, because it is quite heavy, but kudos to the entire cast and staff. The acting and chemistry was flawless. 8.5/10
i really wished we saw more of the other two couples. their stories were so good.ito me the car he sent her knowing…
I totally agree, I am sure GG + JW will at least date for a while after everything is settled. And since they've seen the worst of each other and felt compassion and responsibilities, I think there's a good chance it'll last. I am cheering for them!
whoa. that was awesome though I'm still heartbroken for my favourite couple JW and GG. GG: How much can you forgive…
I agree, they were my favorite couple, too. But not all hope is lost! He lent his car to the girls and told them to give a message to GG which made her smile. It is obvious they both actually do love each other and I think GG just needs some time to settle everything before she can consider giving him another chance, this time away from their families expectations. I for my part imagine a happy ending for them :)
Right! The married couple are so depressingly awesome. I can't help but root for them. The husband looks like…
I agree somewhat. The first episode had me hooked because of the chemistry between Morgan and Tami, but it has started to dwindle, which is sad. I hope they somehow get it together...
I wish tvN would make another historical drama, with the quality picture and cinematography of Goblin and/or Chicago…
I am not sure if you've seen it, but Queen In Hyun's man is a fantastic drama. It's a bit old so in the beginning it'll feel odd, but you'll slowly get used to it. If you've enjoyed Goblin and Chicago Typewriter it's right up your street!
I didn't think I would love this show this much, but it's really great. Although I think the beginning had more spark, it's still good. The scenes I appreciate the most right now are with the married couple. It's beautifully depressing how they both so obviously care for each other but cannot be together because of the bad fate between their families. I very much hope for a happy ending for them both, no matter what it'll look like. Also, Scarlett and Ji Hwan are LOVE! Just kiss already, damnit!
Personally, my favorite is Queen In Hyun's man. It's a bit old, and it's a time-travel drama. In the beginning it takes time to get used to the older filming style. But from episode 4 or so on, you're hooked. It brought me to tears many times. It was absolutely beautiful!
Ugh, really cannot get to like any of this show or the characters (except for the little girl). I was hoping for some comedy but got makjang at its worst. Moves straight to my dropped list...
I am just praying that 2019 was a bad year and they'll learn from that and we can look forward to some great K-dramas next year. Personally, I cannot enjoy C-Dramas :(
I for my part think that in general the quality of production in Korean dramas has become much better over the years. The cinematography, directing and music, are on a whole different level as they used to before (and let's not forget the skinship guys, the skinship). But the problem lies within the writing. It's difficult to find a drama with really good and memorable writing. Personally, my favorites from 2018 and 2019 were:
My Fellow Citizens
Her private life
Mistress
Familiar Wife
Terius Behind Me
Wok of Love
and to some extend, even though with flaws:
Memories of the Alhambra
Lawless Attorney
Doctor John
But, I agree, none of them make me feel like 'It's Okay, that's love' or 'city Hunter' or 'my love from another star' did. But honestly, if I rewatched those dramas now, I would probably not be able to love them as much as the first time around. That's just how things are.
9/10
I thought 6 months was pushing it, but 3 years?? Getting ghosted by someone you loved really messes with your head, and although I understand that he did it because he didn't even know how much time he'd have left to live, it's still such an asshole move and she forgave him way too easily. So, gah, I didn't like that development and I think they didn't play the cards right. If they had somehow spun it differently, I'd have appreciated the ending much more. Like in Oh My Venus, damn that reunion was similar but so much more emotional and understandable.
Even so, the writing of this drama was brilliant and actually managed to shake me to my core at times. I had never given that much thought to euthanasia, pain management and the 'what if's' of never ending pain and the choice we would be faced with when a loved one is at the brink of death. If I could summarize the drama with a single word, it would be 'touching'.
I am not sure if I'll ever rewatch it, because it is quite heavy, but kudos to the entire cast and staff. The acting and chemistry was flawless.
8.5/10