• Last Online: Sep 24, 2017

KiRa

Texas, USA
Birth of a Beauty
Apr 20, 2015
So unlike other reviewers I actually didn't like the beginning. It was a little to weird- would have liked it better if we had just known who she was from the start. I think it would have made more sense. I really did not like the 1st episode. In the middle of the series I loved her talking to her old self in the refection. I love the actor who played Sa Geum Ran (Ha Jae Sook) and I liked that we still got to see her. I also liked that they did not change her personality they kind of kept her the same.

What I didn't like was how complicated the simple revenge plot kept getting. She just needed to seek revenge I don't know why people had to go back and forth about what they knew about each other. Near the end It should have built more on what they wanted than to add in the "running away" not running away filler.

What I disliked the most was that everyone seemed Repulsed by Sa Geum Ran, I wish, especially with Han Tae Hee that he would not have been repulsed by her in her "original" form.

Over all though I actually thought it was a pretty good drama overall. Fun, cute and even a little intriguing. The acting was very good, loved and hated almost all the characters. The story had weak points that needed some filler, but it wrapped up well.

Shine or Go Crazy
Apr 16, 2015
The beginning of this like so many was AMAZING. I loved it starting as a "tall tale". The characters and the actor were solid choices and I almost could not get enough of the show. It was fun, and cute with just enough fantasy thrown in, and it carried its self so well until nearly the end.

Personally I think the trouble started in the last 2 episodes. There was so much talking and no action. So much of this "is she; isn't she" filler and then in the last episode just NOTHING. I wanted to throw things I was so disappointed. It makes no sense as to why you would spend all this time building a love story and then in the end you cant even see the love? I mean were those his kids? her kids? together? or separate partners? and why does he look so upset in the end. Not to mention almost every other character is completely forgotten about in the last episode. I mean what happens to them?

I was so let down in the remaining 2 episodes that I wouldn't even suggest this drama to others.

Blood
Apr 27, 2015
OMG this show was so so wonderful. I loved it. There was just the right mix of surgery's and vampires. I loved the "transformation" of the vampires. I also really liked the depiction of the vampires being infected by a virus.

I did not like Goo Hye Sun (Ri Ta) acting or character. I was really disappointed in her depiction of such a serious roll. Maybe I am wrong but it just did not fit her. Ahn Jae Hyeon (Ji Sang) was also just alright- he seemed a little stiff. Of course I loved Jung Hea In (Hyun Woo) and LUVVY I mean how could you not.

The story line was very strong and though you could see some sway of the story based on viewer opinions (less surgery as it went on) it still held very well to the story. You kinda end up liking almost everyone.

All that said this entire drama was ruined in the LAST episode. Though things had gone down hill in the last 4 episodes. I held out hope, but then the last one just destroyed it. I can not say more without adding spoilers but its not so much a bad ending as a bad wrap up. Nothing is explained or resolved, we don't really even know what really happens, you just have to guess.

So while the drama had originally earned a higher score from me I had to lower it based on the last episode. So sad.

Splendid Politics
May 25, 2016
It took me over 6 months after this show was completed for me to finish watching it, and no that is not because it was 50 episodes, its because it became so monotonous.
So many of the things that I really enjoyed about the drama came to an end around episode 15 with still 35 more episodes of almost nothing really important.
There were so many scenes where the main character just stared "meaningfully" at the camera, or into space, or at each other.
The main character Princess started off as a strong willful and fun character, but then just fell into this "ugh" phase where all she did was act like every other woman in Joseon. I was so disappointed by her. Over all the acting was sub par and the story just got dragged out more and more. Then the "special armory" people who didn't even have a real role would just show up in a scene sitting and talking to each other like they had so much free time, it was so unrealistic. I really like King Gwanghye and the actor in that role but he is not in it long enough, it would have been really interesting if they had made it more about him than her, and King Injo.
It ends with them trying to pull at some heart strings but it just doesn't work, mostly because by that point I was just irritated with all of the characters I didn't see a reason to care. Over all I would not suggest this drama to anyone.

Warrior Baek Dong Soo
Apr 2, 2015
Let me preference this by saying that I love Ji Chang Wook and through this drama I really came to love a lot of the actors and characters. The cast was the most redeeming quality of this drama. On that note as others have mentioned this drama fails on many points. Out of all the sageuk I have watched thus far this one was my least favorite.

The beginning is strong. I loved the story of Dong Soo and Woon. Another reviewer said "epic bromance" and I could not agree more. Even the young actors who played both of them were pretty amazing. I had a few issues primarily with Dong Soo's- deformity and the stupid suit of bamboo that didn't look like it could possibly do anything but those concerns were minimal.

Towards the middle of the drama however everything just comes to a stupid halt. Nothing happens that progressed the story. Ji Sun's character who they act like is integral really becomes a useless figure and I was not a fan of her acting. I think that if she had died I would have been happier with the story line. In the middle all I learned was useless things about ginseng that in no way really helped build the story. Kanzo could have been a really cool character but he too seemed to be so poorly written that even his parts were in no way beneficial.

Towards the end it became really hard to even drag my self to the end. At the end there is a few things that of course are integral and all I can say is that even though I knew he would have to die, I was still balling during his death scene. That said I also had wanted to slap him for his continued "misunderstandings" I mean WHY DID HE NOT TELL THEM THE TRUTH!!! On that note WHAT THE HELL CHO RIP???

Then at the end the "pairing" everyone up was a little unnecessary and didn't really make me feel like anything had been resolved. I was overall just disappointed in the way things started to play out after episode 14. For once it might have actually been better if it had ended somewhere around episode 22.

Overall the acting was good and I liked the characters, but they were poorly written and the writing just got worse as the show dragged on which is why I give it a 7.5

Heart to Heart
Mar 9, 2015
Okay so like a lot of the other reviews I didn't really know what I was getting into with this drama. I just started watching because it was airing and I wanted another filler. By episode 2 though I think I was pretty into it, then episode 4 (watch and you will know why) just made this the cutest drama I have seen in a very long time.

When I say cutest I mean totally the CUTEST drama ever. Lots of admissions of "like" at first and realizing that they are both messed up individuals who need each other to fix each other. Episode 4 was such a step from the norm in dramas and it wasn't even this "I LOVE YOU" type of thing made it even better.

Episode 9 there is a scene that had me ROTFL and I was even more infatuated with this drama.

A little later on around episode 12 there is a change in the story which turned a unique drama kinda typical for me and is the only reason this drama got a 9.5/10. I do not think this "twist" was needed and I wish it could be re-written.

All that said I think it ended well, the characters don't really "fix" each other but help heal everyone. Detective Jang's story was a nice little side story and even the mother and fathers stories. It was a very cute, sweet and mostly unique drama that I would highly recommend.

Playful Kiss
Jan 18, 2015
I will probably make some people mad with my review but it needs to be said. I watched this drama because of Kim Hyun Joong and because of positive reviews- this drama seemed to have a following like BOF- but despite Hyun Joong's ability to pull off his aloof character masterfully this drama was frustrating to say the least. I like to yell at characters from time to time (its just part of the experience like watching football- yeah they can't hear you but it makes you fell better) BUT in this drama I just wanted to SLAP Oh Ha Ni (played by Jung So Min). She was just pathetic and submissive and had no substance of her own. I feel like she could have been omitted from the story and it wouldn't have mattered. It was a romance and yet her pathetic nature did not make her enduring like it was intended too, it just made the character pathetic. Additionally some characters seemed to come and go as the series went on and they added no real substance to the story. To the point where I felt I had missed some important part of the story line. Mom and brother were also irritating at times; I mean really if your mom is that involved then she should have just made him get married right out. Brother was a little annoying only because he was continually rude.

I would not suggest this drama to anyone unless they just wanted to watch Hyun Joong be cute.

I am sorry to any fans who loved this drama, but I just found so little redeeming about this drama. If I didn't believe in finishing every drama I start this would have been one of the few I dropped.

Healer
Feb 13, 2015
I don't know how to start this review. I don't give out very many 10's but with Healer its so hard not too. The story is fascinating at first. The characters especially Healer (Ji Chang Wook) is such an intriguing person. Healer Hacker Min Ja (Kim Mi-Kyung) adds to the lovable nature of the show and Healers character. His acting as always is superb. He does a flawless job of going between the meticulous an strong Healer- Jung Hoo and the laughable Bong Sook- which is a false identity he takes on to get closer to our main actress Chae Young Shin (Park Min-Young).

The action scenes are excellent and well thought out. Chang Wook does most of the stunts himself which of course makes it even more impressive. They never try to show any outlandish stunts and everything is reality believable.

The romance is nice because its sweet, there is no love triangle and it makes for a more believable romance story line. That said the romance is definitely there. This is an action romance not just action. So go into it with those expectations. I think they do a really good job at setting that up from the beginning where as in other shows it almost seems tacked on at the end.

The back story that connects all the characters together is well thought out and I was really impressed with how it managed to wrap up. Admittedly I got worried around episode 18 when there were still so many things unanswered.

Over all this drama gets a 10 from me and is strongly recommended especially if you want somthign more than just romance that you can watch with your significant other.

Kill Me, Heal Me
Mar 19, 2015
There is almost no way to describe this drama much less score it accurately. So starting from the top, there are key points of the story that were amazing but there were also some holes. I don't like to rewrite the summary but basically our main character Cha Do Hyun has split personalities. A total of 7 personalities in one body. He meets a Therapist whom he connects with (for multiple reasons) and she helps him through the discovery of the creation of his personalities. Many of the begging episodes are pretty good, with each personality almost getting their own episodes so you can get the know them.

I did not like one thing about Shin Se Gi - while he is one of my favorites the tattoo is too much. Ahn Yo Na is my favorite personality of all. Hwang Jung Eum(Oh Ri Jin) is the lead female and I was not so impressed with her or her character or her acting. That is all I can say about her really.
The acting of Ji Sung to pull off each of these characters is very impressive. For some of the personalities you can tell he has changed just by watching him. Ji Sung was the key to this drama getting as good of a rating as it did. He was spectacular.

The story over all was good, but once again they tried to wrap it up all too quick. One key problem I had was the appearance of a new personalty at the end, and I wanted more of a back story on a few of the personalities mostly the twin's (I don't feel they were explained as much).

The OST "Auditory Hallucinations" is one of my favorites right now and fits the drama perfectly.

Overall if the drama had been a little more clean at the end I would have rated it higher.

Bride of the Century
Feb 4, 2015
I liked the concept of this one. I Love when there's characters swap and Yang Jin Sung does a great job at playing both characters. I also like the fantasy level of this show with the spirit of the 1st wife haunting all the others and of course I liked the love story. I liked that she made him less cold and he made her less simple. All that said the key things I did not care for in this were just an overall feeling that it was a little too played out. While Jin Sung did well at portraying the two separate women I don't think the rest of the characters really clicked for me and the whole mystical fantasy part got a little too convoluted. I wish it had been simplified.

Pinocchio
Mar 8, 2015
This was one of the strongest dramas I have watched in a while. The characters were intriguing, it wasn't very suspenseful but at the same time it did not drag out story lines too long which was a nice change. All too often with melodramas the plot lines just seem to take so long to wrap up, and I feel that things wrapped up rather quickly for each twist.

With out spoiling the plot it was nice to have a character with integrity. I actually did not care for PSH character In Ha as much because she seemed to hiccup too easily, even if she wasn't "lying". I liked that while there was obvious romance here it wasn't the overly romantic drama, romance was almost like a supporting character, explaining their roles and characters without being overwhelming.

One of the biggest problems/best things was that I did not hate the antagonist. I actually felt bad when they got in trouble at the end. In fact none of the people who did "wrong" in this show were very "bad" at least not to me. I actually really liked a few of the antagonist like the Chairman.

Overall I liked this drama, it was an easy watch, not something that maybe kept me "really" fascinated but at the same time it was smooth.

Boys Over Flowers
Jan 16, 2015
If you are just starting kdrama's or are looking for one to start with CHOOSE THIS ONE!!! This drama is well loved in a nostalgic kind of way. Compared to more modern dramas it is a little dated, and if its your first might be a little outlandish but that's why it makes such a great 1st choice. It will not be as nostalgic later after you have seen newer better produced dramas but this is what I like to call a traditional Kdrama. It has all the aspects that you will come to expect from kdramas- love, romance, love triangles, piggyback rides, "Cinderella syndrome", and comedy. While in hindsight it is not necessarily the best drama I have watched, because it was one of the first it holds a special place in my heart. I don't want to go into excruciating detail, though I am sure I could talk about BOF for days but I feel it is one of the required introductory dramas, so if you are looking to start START HERE.

On a side note, even if it is not your first drama choice make sure you watch it. There are very few Asian Dramas that are as well known as BOF.

Fated to Love You
Feb 5, 2015
I was really surprised by this drama. I guess my expectations were a little low, I thought this was going to be a really simple drama, girl meets guy, they get pregnant and fall in love. About episode 12 I was starting to wonder how they were going to pull this out for 20 episodes (I started to worry that it was going to get really slow and repetitive) I am so happy to say I was wrong. I was really impressed with the story line, there is a surprising twist that made this drama fun till the end. I loved Jang Na-ra's (Kim Mi Young) acting in this. She gave a sweet believable performance and a level or dignity to her character that I was not expecting.

The overall feel of this drama is really amazing, not to heavy and not too light. Of course I also have to mention that it has Choi Jin-hyuk as the second male lead and while I love him more as an actor the lead played by Jang Hyuk was really a good match.

The side stories were good and it all wraps up nicely which I feel is a requirement of K dramas. I would recommend this drama if you are looking for something that is a nice twist on a romcom.

Faith
Jan 19, 2015
Fun, Dramatic, Suspenseful, Tearjerker with a little bit of magic and history thrown in. That is this drama in a nutshell. I joke around that its a good precursor to a real sageuk because while it touches on history and is 24 episodes long, it is at its core a good old love story. This drama had me fainting over Lee Min Ho more than most of his other roles (I like the long hair) and crying through all the highs and lows.

The key thing with this drama is to take it for what it is, no its not historically accurate at all points. No its not a true sageuk (historical drama). No its not just action. But its like reading a good historical romance novel. It is a fantasy so don't take it too seriously but instead enjoy it for what it is.

Plus the action and magic is a fun twist.

Cinderella's Sister
Jan 19, 2015
Okay if you look at my rating it might confuse you on my opinion of this drama. Like other reviews have noted this drama started strong (hooks you good in the first few episodes) but then crashes and burns into a pile of smoldering s*#@. I was not happy with this drama, it was actually a real let down. The characters were so interesting at first but then they just keep making the same choices, the same moves and the same stupid mistakes with no real redemption of their character flaws. It is infuriating to watch as the show just seems to drag on.

As mentioned in some of my other reviews, I DO NOT EVER DROP A DRAMA- but this one came real close.

Redeeming qualities- the acting is good, I liked the father character, the male lead and even the second male lead. The girls were all strong and but they were each pathetic in their own way, it gave an interesting twist on the story.

BEST THING ABOUT THIS DRAMA IS ITS OST- "It has to be you" by YESUNG which is why I watched the drama in the first place.

I would not recommend this drama to anyone UNLESS you want to watch a few episodes drop it and imagine your own ending :)