The website is currently undergoing maintenance. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Location: Orlando Florida
  • Join Date: September 2, 2017

OldAnimeLady

Orlando Florida

OldAnimeLady

Orlando Florida
I wasn't going to write this review as my overall impression is the same as my review for season 1.  I think this has all the markings of becoming this generations Hana Yori Dango or Itazura na Kiss or Hanazakari no Kimitachi e.  This is their relationship is on the next stage, and it is set up so they can do another season if they want to, but it isn't a cliff hanger.   It shows how brightly people shine while in a relationship, but separately the shine isn't the same.  It has been less than 24 hours since I marathon watched all 10 episodes, so I need to digest its re-watch value. One thing I do like is there is never any question whether they love each other, or whether one deserves the other (thinking female lead is below male lead or ugly). Instead its -  will the relationship last despite the obstacles they make for themselves.

I really enjoyed this, I hope you do to.

The Forbidden Kingdom
Oct 13, 2017
Jackie Chan
Jet Li

nuff said.

This movie tells the story of two martial artist that must train a 21st century boy who has been transported to their time.  I have re-watched this movie at least a half a dozen times and enjoy it every time.  It feels kinda kid friendly at times so if you are looking for more grit this movie isn't for you.

I Never give anything a score of 10 and unless it is amazing, I don't think I have ever watched anything amazing. Nothing below 6 unless I had to drop/shut it off.
Yellow Tears
Oct 11, 2017
I watched this to knock it off my "Arashi" to watch list and it surprised as it isn't a genre that I would have normally picked.  A historical slice of life drama about one summer in a tiny apartment with five friends finding their way in life.  The difficulties of being an artist of any flavor and trying to find work if you don't conform to the norm of society is highlighted well in this.  The romance is low in this but it is there as a background plot line.

Glad I watched it, not sure I would re - watch it.
Koko ni Aru Shiawase
Oct 10, 2017
I will recommend this story to everyone.  The story is short and sweet about a man finding his calling in life.  What I liked best about about it was that it reminds us that the previous generations had lives before us.  Those stories can either teach us or just entertain us.  As stated before it is a short little movie and makes me happy every time I watch it .  So the title "Happiness is here" is very apropos for me.  Matsuda Shota is adorable as usual.
 I hope you enjoy it as much as i did : )
Oct 8, 2017
I watched this raw and no I do not speak Japanese but i have watched the first 2 so I figured I would give it a try. I know it was filmed in a short amount of time due to scheduling and it is the first movie they starred in together since 2007, which was Yellow Tears.

The story basically told itself , I may have missed out on the dialog but just watching them reprise these roles I now know where Haru, Shun, Chuu, Bon, and Takuma’s  life have taken them now that they are in their 30's.  Trying very hard not to post any spoilers but if you watch this for nothing else the costumes are uniquely Arashi.

And pimp daddy Nino : )

If you liked the first 2 which I found english subbed relatively easily, you will love to reminisce with  the characters with or with out subs.

Oct 3, 2017
I watched this for MatsuJun of course, but the story pulled me.  It still has some of the silly antics detective stories have in them but at the end I was screaming at the t.v. "There better be a second season!"  I absolutely needed a second season and I get one in 2018 (yippee!!).  There is no real romance in this it more a drama and mystery show. Finding the truth through deductive reasoning is the basis of this show.  I will most likely buy the dvd for this after I have seen season 2.

I loved it, but it is my opinion yours may differ
Final Life
Up front, any time there is English in this it really is bad, not the English, the acting.  Even the "American" they got sucked at English.  It was so jarring. And if he speaks Japanese, why do Kana and Sion have to speak English when they are alone?  I would get it if he was Korean and she was Japanese and English was the common tongue, but that is not the case, but I digress.

Now let's push that aside, and look at the series.  I decided to look at it a super hero origin story, those are always kinda clunky, having to mush so much stuff in such a short amount of time.  The first 5 episodes are flashback heavy, the same flashbacks, but you see more each time.  For those anime fans out there think Naruto's swing in front of the school, that level of repetition flashbacks.

Ok lets get past that.  There was lots a pretty in the movie with Taemin and Shota, that helps me forgive a lot.  Its Matsuda, so yes its an artsy film, like Depp he doesn't do any other kind.

The songs What's this Feeling and I'm Crying by Taemin are really good.  It's a coherent, even if sketchy story line.

If you like Sci-fi or super heroes, Matsuda  Shota or Tae-mini I recommend this title. Despite the way this review sounds I liked it a lot, I just feel if you go in with low expectations you'll enjoy it more.

I am writing this from the view of a long time MMORPGer and as a parent.  This is cute little story that almost made me want to resubscribe to WOW...then I remember my 8 characters pain and decided to let them be. 100 Levels and 400 pets later it is time to let them rest.  Oh right back to the review.

It is cute, only 8 episodes so a tight story line.  It is a slice of life drama based on a true life story.  You believe this household exists and the bonds that are there even if only loosely.

And yes Mom loves Kdrama, Alot.

Episode 8 though totally not needed for story progression, be warned.

I enjoyed this, I hope you do too

Good Morning Call
I am writing this as HUGE fan of Shojo format dramas and anime.  It seems like the writer of the manga pulled every possible trope from this genre and put it in this story.  There are elements from Itazura na Kiss - Love in Tokyo, Hana Yori Dango, Hanazakari no Kimitachi e, and even Switch Girl!! 2. While predictable it wasn't annoying over the top at all.  There is not question (from the audience) whether they love each other, its whether they figure it out or not themselves.  Highlighting the insecurities of (I was going to say young, but I know 40 yr olds who act like this) immature girls.

I recommend this one if you love Shojo,  Even if you don't because they are over the top and frustrating, because this one is ...more believable?  More real?  More current times?  All of the above.

So pull up some tissues, your netflix remote, and watch this generations Shojo classic.

Papadol!
I want to begin by stating the fact that I am woman over 40 with a family of my own so my views are influenced by my life experience.

I read an article one time that stated the fact that every one that goes into Johnny's (it was an articles on JE so I will expand and say Asian Idol Entertainment in general) knows that this is part of being an Idol.  That the people are groomed and trained and are a part of the managing staff's Product to present to the fans or Customers.

This drama humanizes my above statement, having recently watched all the apologies from KAT-TUN in the 10ks Tour for Taguchi leaving to be with his longtime girfriend, I know that the drama represented here is real, probably dramatized, but real.  I watched this to complete "Sho-Kun's" acting list for me, but was surprised how much I loved watching all of Kanjani 8 and Nikishido Ryo in this.  The acting was well done and the situations were as real as one can get with a blended family.  As far as the romance not being to showy...comfortable love is sometimes like that.  Sharing the burden with someone you will be with for the rest of your life is sometimes more important than a kiss or even a hand hold.  You get that from this drama.

Blade of the Immortal
Just finished watching this and was extremely happy I chose to watch this movie tonight.   Kimura was amazing. Erika Toda does excellent with her part.  If you like samurai movies AT ALL you must watch this movie.  I am a huge Kurosawa fan and this movie gives you the same feel.  More like Hidden Fortress than any of his other stuff.  Yes there is blood and gore but not too over the top.  The girl needing protection isn't too whiny or too stony she comes off as a real person.

I recommend this is you like action samurai movies.

Oh and the sound track at least the closing song I must find it!

Meteor Garden
Nov 4, 2017
Please see the other review as I concur with most of its points.  I have seen Hana Yori Dango/Boys over Flowers/Let's Go Watch a Meteor Shower and now Meteor Garden.  I had to space months between each one to even want to ride the emotional rollercoaster again.  I will state this now HanaDan is still my favorite.  There is a new Chinese version coming out in 2018. It may have potential but somehow replacing MatsuJun/InoueMao chemistry on screen has not been recreated yet.

This has 27 episodes in one season and has more time to tell the story, it feel more natural yet the chemistry is not there.  You know he loves her, she hangs out with like 5 other guys while trying to distance herself from Dao Ming Si I am not sure that was in the manga, it sure wasn't in the other three versions.
This version has no amnesia and no "Lost in Snow" Incident which the other three did.

Lei's character (Rui) is ok TBH the Korean version fleshed him out so much better and while I love Oguri Shun as Rui there just wasn't much meat to his story.

Xi Men -The potters son/Tea maker/ who knows what his fathers job is in this, is an interesting story arc, and better done than Hana Dan this couple was my favorite in both BOF and MG.

So here's my recommendation Watch HanaDan for Domiyogi/Makino, watch BOF and MG for other F4 love stories.

Oct 13, 2017
I am huge fan of Kung Fu movies (any martial arts for that matter) and in the early eighties devoured tons and tons of badly dubbed ones.  This movies reminded me of all that and more.  My dvd is currently on loan to someone because we love to share and discuss with our friends.

I recommend this only if you love Wu-Shu type movies or like to play mystery science theatre (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_Science_Theater_3000) with your friends.

I watched this with out watching Dragon Inn first and was able to follow the plot line relatively easily.  If you are looking for a serious movie this isn't for you.  if you like well choreographed, slightly plausible fight scenes tied together with an okay premise, watch this and enjoy.  It is actually one of my favorite action movies out there ..It does have Donnie Yen in it after all.

P to JK
Oct 7, 2017
I was waiting for this forever as I am a die hard Kame fan but as was stated in the other reviews the script was short on explanation and needed a little more touching moment between the married couple.  Just when you think they are starting to connect the movie is over.  That might be the issue if it was a 10 - 12 episode drama it might have felt smoother.  Makes me wanna read the manga now.

That being said OH MY GOD KAME IS BEAUTIFUL.  You get Odagiri feels in this and his camera time is amazing.
13 Assassins
Oct 3, 2017
First off for this review you have to understand I am HUGE Kurosawa fan since well ..forever.  I love Samurai films and this one did not disappoint.  The political maneuvering to ensure the right thing was done for the Japanese people felt like something that really could have happened.
My Re-watch value is low because I rarely re-watch samurai movies unless I am sharing with my friends, but I may buy the dvd to add to my collection to make sure I always have it to share.
This is just an opinion, yours may differ.