• Location: Orlando Florida

OldAnimeLady

Orlando Florida
Good Morning Call - Our Campus Days
Dec 3, 2017
I wasn't going to write this review as my overall impression is the same as my review for season 1.  I think this has all the markings of becoming this generations Hana Yori Dango or Itazura na Kiss or Hanazakari no Kimitachi e.  This is their relationship is on the next stage, and it is set up so they can do another season if they want to, but it isn't a cliff hanger.   It shows how brightly people shine while in a relationship, but separately the shine isn't the same.  It has been less than 24 hours since I marathon watched all 10 episodes, so I need to digest its re-watch value. One thing I do like is there is never any question whether they love each other, or whether one deserves the other (thinking female lead is below male lead or ugly). Instead its -  will the relationship last despite the obstacles they make for themselves.

I really enjoyed this, I hope you do to.

Laplace's Witch
Nov 28, 2018
So the premise of this movie is based on a Pierre-Simon Laplace (french mathemetician) theory about the Laplace Demon that states:

"We may regard the present state of the universe as the effect of its past and the cause of its future. An intellect which at a certain moment would know all forces that set nature in motion, and all positions of all items of which nature is composed, if this intellect were also vast enough to submit these data to analysis, it would embrace in a single formula the movements of the greatest bodies of the universe and those of the tiniest atom; for such an intellect nothing would be uncertain and the future just like the past would be present before its eyes."

This is essentially the whole movie. Now that we have that out of the way, if you are looking for magical ladies and wands and pointed hats, that is definitely NOT this movie, and i think the misnomer brings the audience in with different expectation than what is delivered.

It is a lot of talking, sitting and talking, making paper airplanes and talking, the action is only about 10 minutes of this whole film. Very little emotion is invoked from the watcher, well this watcher at least. No bonds are formed during on screen time of this movie, but implied in a few minute flashbacks. No friendships, No enemies. and Certainly no romance.

It is not a bad movie, the acting was stable and YAY Lily Frankie, but the script was not memorable. Nothing comes out of this movie other than to google Pierre-Simon Laplace: ).

To sum it up If you love Sakurai Sho or Fukushi Sota or any of the other actors its an okay movie and you are probably going to watch it anyhow. If you are not a fan and are looking for a movie that is more than just a time killer, this is not for you

I'm Underage But I'm Not A Child
Sep 1, 2018
I went into this because of the watch challenge this year. At first, I am, not going to lie, I rolled my eyes at how rich and pampered she was. That lasted 15-20 minutes then bam! right into the arranged marriage. Her pureness but willing to learn won me (and the male lead) over almost immediately. Not quite fluff, but definitely not heavy either. Like the bears bed in Goldilocks it was just right.

Acting was spot on for the characters they were portraying. This is based on Manga so somethings are unrealistic, but the meat of the story is what really struck home with me.

i gave this a 9 because maybe it was something I needed right now. Have fun watching : )

99.9: Keiji Senmon Bengoshi
Oct 3, 2017
I watched this for MatsuJun of course, but the story pulled me.  It still has some of the silly antics detective stories have in them but at the end I was screaming at the t.v. "There better be a second season!"  I absolutely needed a second season and I get one in 2018 (yippee!!).  There is no real romance in this it more a drama and mystery show. Finding the truth through deductive reasoning is the basis of this show.  I will most likely buy the dvd for this after I have seen season 2.

I loved it, but it is my opinion yours may differ
Taira no Kiyomori
Jun 26, 2018
I will be writing an article but I wanted to do a short review here since there wasn't any.

I am a lover of history and the people who make it. The only hesitation for me watching this was the number of episodes.

Story: When writing a tale based on a real person it is difficult not to fudge things, or add extra fantastical things that may be attributed to the person through out time as his legend grows. this did not do that. It simply filled in the gaps seemlessly between recorded events. Tiara no Kiyomori was the first Samurai to lead the Japanese court and paved the way for Shogunates to happen. You can lookup his life on the internet, this drama follows it pretty closely, but be warned, there will be spoilers lol.

Someone asked if there was romance in this. My answer would be real life romance, at the time when a woman duty was a political tool for their family, love does happen. For several couples in this drama the feelings between husbands and wives is clearly shown and the roles both of them play in supporting each other.

According to my husband whose big thing is when movies screw up armor said that the mix of pieces looked accurate, though he feels the use of the Katana was not that wide spread yet. Meh I don't look at that.

The scenery makes you feel like you are there with them, in their mansions, on the pirate boat, or in the forests. it is beautifully shot.

To quote Kiyomori he is following the path of carnage to break traditions and raise the status of Samurai in general, his clan specifically.

The music has on song that is thread throughout and plays a pivotal part of the plot, which is why I gave it and 8, even if you love something , hearing it 100 times in a short period will lessen its appeal.

Re-watch value an 8 only because I now know all the surprises, I would however sit and rewatch it with anyone who wishes to see it.

I gave this a 10, It exceeded my expectations and made me want to watch more tiagas, just not any time soon lol.

Blade of the Immortal
Nov 17, 2017
Just finished watching this and was extremely happy I chose to watch this movie tonight.   Kimura was amazing. Erika Toda does excellent with her part.  If you like samurai movies AT ALL you must watch this movie.  I am a huge Kurosawa fan and this movie gives you the same feel.  More like Hidden Fortress than any of his other stuff.  Yes there is blood and gore but not too over the top.  The girl needing protection isn't too whiny or too stony she comes off as a real person.

I recommend this is you like action samurai movies.

Oh and the sound track at least the closing song I must find it!

Tempest
Aug 8, 2018
I am writing this 4 years after the last review (Cherry Bunny). I love, love , love this drama. It ha sall the elements in a story that make me happy: Slight fantasy, history, romance and one very strong woman.

Just like the previous reviewers I just had to chime in on this wonderful under- rated historical drama. Palace politics and Inner Chamber cattiness are very low on my interest meter but this drama kept everything with an even balance without being boring or predictable (for the most part)

To quote Cherry Bunnys review
"Special mention about GACKT's role in this. His character is super creepy. Like, icky, skin crawling creepy. Which is pretty cool as he plays it so well."
and
HAVA-RAVA
" I loved his creepy yet attractive character with long tongue. If you're curious what he does with the tongue watch the drama."

In only 3 episodes he just over takes the drama with his presence, by his last appearance though you are just ready for him to leave.

The scenery is breath taking, especially the beach scenes.

The Re-watch value is lower as I know all the twists but if someone was interested i would re watch it with them.

I gave this a 9.5

Yellow Tears
Oct 11, 2017
I watched this to knock it off my "Arashi" to watch list and it surprised as it isn't a genre that I would have normally picked.  A historical slice of life drama about one summer in a tiny apartment with five friends finding their way in life.  The difficulties of being an artist of any flavor and trying to find work if you don't conform to the norm of society is highlighted well in this.  The romance is low in this but it is there as a background plot line.

Glad I watched it, not sure I would re - watch it.
Final Life
Nov 21, 2017
Up front, any time there is English in this it really is bad, not the English, the acting.  Even the "American" they got sucked at English.  It was so jarring. And if he speaks Japanese, why do Kana and Sion have to speak English when they are alone?  I would get it if he was Korean and she was Japanese and English was the common tongue, but that is not the case, but I digress.

Now let's push that aside, and look at the series.  I decided to look at it a super hero origin story, those are always kinda clunky, having to mush so much stuff in such a short amount of time.  The first 5 episodes are flashback heavy, the same flashbacks, but you see more each time.  For those anime fans out there think Naruto's swing in front of the school, that level of repetition flashbacks.

Ok lets get past that.  There was lots a pretty in the movie with Taemin and Shota, that helps me forgive a lot.  Its Matsuda, so yes its an artsy film, like Depp he doesn't do any other kind.

The songs What's this Feeling and I'm Crying by Taemin are really good.  It's a coherent, even if sketchy story line.

If you like Sci-fi or super heroes, Matsuda  Shota or Tae-mini I recommend this title. Despite the way this review sounds I liked it a lot, I just feel if you go in with low expectations you'll enjoy it more.

Honou no Tenkousei REBORN
Nov 27, 2017
This is a real live action Manga/Anime in the truest sense.  If you watch this eight episodes series  expect silliness and over the top antics, but somehow compelling at the same time.  I picked this up because it was on Netflix and it was safe to watch on my phone for lunch break. At first i was like what is this crap, but after the first episode, I got used to the weirdness and went on to episode 2.  I think upon reviewing the first episode I commented it was on par with the first season of Power Rangers in cheesiness.

So if you are looking for something to lighten the mood, and is short and sweet, this just might be a fit for you.

Chugakusei Nikki
Dec 27, 2018
I usually don't go for things that are popular or Trendy and this was one of those that had "too many positive reviews" that made me super nervous to watch this. My score may be lower than what it would have been if I had just watched this when I was ready to rather than rush before voting.

Nit picks: ML did not even once feel like he was 15, Male lead was a stalker. FL unable to be truthful with herself early enough to stop relationship early on. The direction of liking the feeling to object or action around the characters became tedious.

Everyone responsible for the child reaction's were as it should be, and in the end it was for the best for Akira and Hijiri. For me the pacing was slow, maybe because I did not choose to watch this one my own, or I am loosing patience with long drawn out romances.

Overall it was a good story, it just didn't hit my sweet spot.

dele
Oct 22, 2018
The base story itself is nothing new but the concept and execution will keep you on you toes. There is a light back ground story here that hits you full on in episode 8 but otherwise this is a very episodic show with each case wrapping up at the end of every episode.
That does not detract from the story at all, in fact some how it enhances it. You get some truly awesome action scenes, including Yamada kicking backside in his wheelchair. You forget that this actor has not been in this wheelchair for years, he has made it a part of his person. That makes me appreciate the actor even more.
This show tackles heavy topics and makes you stop and think, even if you don't want to.
THIS SHOW IS AMAZING!

The Lightning Tree
Jul 30, 2018
I watched this movie because for the next month I will be focusing on historical dramas and movies. What drew me to this was possible romance without much politics. What made me nervous..The comparison to Romeo and Juliet(we all know how that turned out).

This is the second Aoi Yu work I have seen(the other being Osen) and she can really sell a strong woman who does not lose her femininity in the process. Okada Masaki whom I have seen in several things before this(Mirai Niki, Taira no Kiyomori, Ito-kun A-E) did excellent with his part. While a lot of the parts are predictable, the ride was still enjoyable. I will be adding this to my recommends lists.

The scenery was beautiful with only a few locations the world still felt big and wide open. Overall I give this an 8 rating .

Mumon: The Land of Stealth
Jun 21, 2018
This is a comedic look at First Tensh? Iga War (1579) and the life of the best Ninja in the clan. All he wants is for his woman to let him back into the house and to make just enough money to get by but she wants him to get a better job than just a Genin.

This role was almost taylor made for Ohno Satoshi with comedic confidence and talent. The choreography in this is excellent. Do not look for realism in this as it has lot of wire work in it, but sit back and enjoy the story and the fun. Mumon has the feel of an updated, comedic version of Sanjuro for those familiar with the Kurosawa film.

The music Tsunagu by Arashi and I fell in love with it before I watched the movie.

I would watch this again if I had people to share it with.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did and I hope Ohno-san takes more roles like this one in the future.

A Beautiful Star
Mar 15, 2018
I had been waiting for this movie since it was announce I am a Huge Kame fan and I also love Lily Frankie so the two together what could go wrong? Right? As a Kame film it is not his usual venture, as a Lily Frankie work it is Exactly the kind of thing he normally does.
Lily Frankie (Pieta in the Toilet, Million Yen Women and his life story is told in Tokyo Tower (Me, Mom, and sometimes Dad)2007) doesn't take normal roles and his movies usually push society norms and thoughts.This movie is in the same vein.

The story was told well but you need to finish the movie to get to the thought provoking ending. It was tagged as comedy and I do not see how it can be. Medical, Family, Sci-fi I totally agree with.