• Total Edits: 1,023
  • Join Date: June 27, 2014
A Frozen Flower
Jan 11, 2015
I started this film for two reasons; the cast and the fact that it's a sageuk. But this is no ordinary historical film with an outstanding cast.
The first thing I have to point out that this drama might not suit everybody's taste. It's TOO real, the bloodshed scenes, the battle scenes and the love scenes. If you can't get too real, don't start it.
Minors, skip this film.
So it's Goryeo –back before they tied their hair up, to our great advantage- and the king (Joo Jin Mo) is under the threat of losing his authority as an active king since Yuan –the empire in control- wants an heir to the throne. The king can't have an heir due to the fact that he's homosexual. (Again, if you cannot accept or respect homosexuality, don't start this). The king's lover and the one who's captured his heart for a long time is the Chief of the king's guards; Hong Lim (Zo In Sung).
Yeah I know!! When these are the two leads!!
With his country and throne on the line, the king resorts to one last option. He decides to make someone impregnate his wife (Song Ji Hyo). Only trusting in his loyal lover and friend, he gives Hong Lim the task. As Hong Lim and the queen make love trying to conceive, a new world opens up to them, and the tragedy starts.
Faced by betrayal, loneliness, abandoment, the king seeks revenge against everyone; first of all, against the one who meant the world to him, Hong Lim.
The story is too real it got me totally absorbed in the suffering of everyone. I couldn't not sympathise with everyone. The absurdity of life is inscribed on every scene. The sense of loss and how it empties us of our souls is engraved on the characters' forheads.
Regardless of the nudity and the sexually explicit scenes, the film is worth watching. It's too painfully awe-aspiring.
The cast did a great job here and I applaud every single person.
Well, I know that Song Joong Ki and No Min Woo are in the cast. Well they are there, almost with no dialgoue or screen time but it was so fun trying to spot them out of the other guards.

Heart to Heart
Mar 11, 2015
Straight 10s. This is what a perfect drama is like. God bless tvN and grant it prosperity. This is the most pleasant surprise of 2015 and will be for a while. I started it with high expectations but it exceeded all of them.

Perfect writing; no holes or no loose ends. Everything is connected brilliantly. The amount of pain and laughter are balanced wonderfully. The characters are well-written and the actors have done a perfect job performing them. Chapeau to the writer, the director and the cast.

To actually fall in love with Choi Kang Hee was something I never imagined but after this drama there was no way I wouldn't. I hope she's OK after playing the role.

A realistic approach of traumas and pain. No forgiveness simply granted. People do commit crimes and make mistakes. Not everyone is redeemed just because the drama is ending. How one person's not confessed crime would haunt so many people. Family and its complications. All are tackled in the drama.

Now comes the most bewitching theme; love. Hey! Hey! I'm someone who vowed to stay single forever! This drama had made me want to date again! Insane! How true people are to their feelings. No noble idiocy, no unnecessary self-blame, no giving up, no escaping. I'm feeling this way I'll be true to my feelings and simply confess and take responsibility. If you can't recognise your own feelings I'll help you but I won't give up on you. The past grudges won't stand in the way of our love because you simply mean the world to me. '' I either see you or die. And since I can't die I'll just see you.'' No shame or pretense when it comes to physical love. I want you, I express it. '' Love for me is touching''. Honest and realistic but so moving. Memorable in every aspect!

Though at the beginning I was worried about the second female lead but she thankfully found the right track. Every character has its own tale and every one can relate to each tale.

The OSTs and the music are so distinctive and soooooooooo suitable.

I will definitely re-watch it if ever have the time.

My Paparotti
Feb 15, 2015
When I find out a work is based on a true story, I get all those complicated feelings and the work becomes personal. Same happened here..

To fight all this s***** life and actually work towards your dream is not an easy thing to do. What's harder is finding such a teacher. I was fortunate to meet such professors back in college and I'm trying to be that kind of teacher to my students -i'm far behind though- but not every one is as lucky as I was.

The student-teacher relationship in this film is so touching. It's the kind of special relationship I would love to have with my students but too scared to. To get involved into somebody else's life is terrifying.

The chemistry between the two actors in insane. No wonder they were dashing in Secret Door.

Kang So Ra was so cute. I loved her role.

No matter who was singing, the songs and music just went straight to my heart.

The story is so touching; I kept crying throughout.

There are many funny scenes which lighten the mood.

Perfect! Will definitely watch it again -though I never rewatch anything-

Healer
Mar 19, 2015
What a wonderful journey! 20 hours of complete bliss, fascination, love, loyalty, freedom, friendship and brilliancy. Cliff hangers at the end of each episode and surprising events. Admirable writing and capital production. No loose ends and no let’s-squeeze-this or fill-in-that.

Healer might sound like a typical justice-prevails story where the good guys go through troubles but win at the end and the bad guys get their punishment; with a super hero jumping across roofs and defeating bunches of guys at the same time. Well that’s true, if you want to think of it that way. But strangely, no matter how ordinary and overused the plot might sound, it’s portrayed perfectly. Genuineness is not only about new ideas but new and fresh portrayals of the already tackled ideas.

Of course acting is superb. Every one did a wonderful job. What impressed me the most was the younger selves of the 5 friends! How could they find people who look so much alike and with such skills? Every time one of them would be on screen I’d simply stare.

The chemistry between the leads and the supporting actors was evident. Everyone seemed comfortable and well-aware of their roles. No one covering for the lack of skills for another.
Not a dull moment. No taking your eyes away. Especially the moments of Healer and Young Shin AND Moon Ho’s emotional outbursts. Moon Ho for me was the best thing about the drama and I officially fell in love with him.

The new Park Min Young was groundbreaking in every single aspect.

As for themes; I loved how they tackled the concept of family in its different aspects and probabilities; in a touching way. How money and authority can change people. How much freedom of opinion are we practically allowed?! Can people actually change each other and help them become better people? Are dreams definite sources or can they be changeable? And the most urging and universal question; does justice ultimately prevail?

Perseverance, Goo Hae Ra
Jul 10, 2015
This drama is a hard-watch. It's great at some aspects and terrible at others. The kind of drama you can't drop but you feel frustrated watching it. The writer had an idea. That idea was great. But she messed up when she involved the over dramatic love story especially with a really bad-written and acted female lead. The sub-plots were so interesting. But at the same time the troubles the characters went through were exaggerated much. The comic scenes were amusing and hilarious. But the supposed touching scenes were cheesy and superficial. The music, songs and performances were magic. Nothing I've seen before in a drama. The drama showed all the issues happening in the behind scenes of entertainment business. That was cool. But the way they were presented made me feel like I was watching a makjang rather than a musical drama.

Themes like Brotherhood vs. Love, misunderstandings ruining lives, being human means making mistakes, mistrust, rivalry and suspicion were presented and again in a dramatic way. At moments -especially when they were singing or the supporting characters were on screen- I would gape at the screen mindblown. And at other moments I would be gritting my teeth fighting the urge to vomit.

For the music and the supporting actors, the drama is totally worth it. But at the same time there are the other issues. So..

I will and I am re-watching the songs and performances. I even wrote the titles of the songs down to keep them. As for the female lead, I'll try to avoid dramas she's in when I can.
I'll try to avoid the writer as well.

Drama Special Season 5: Bride in Sneakers
May 21, 2015
''You get unlucky because you give your turn to others.''

In the due course of one night, two young people meet coincidently and their lives change forever.

An abused theme right?? Fate and whatever. But this drama special and though it presents some Utopian ideas and preaches hope, is well-done and worth the journey.

Park Bo Gyong (Lee Chung Ah) is spotted on a train wearing a wedding dress and red sneakers. The man who notices her is a webtoon cartoonist by the name of Jang Hee Sun (Kim Jin Woo). He gets inspired at the scene and decides to buy her story. Therefore he follows her and for one night they get entangled into each other's lives.

It's one hour of comic and serious themes presented simultaneously. You find yourself unable to completely laugh or get absorbed into the sad moment. There's more fun than serious and you'll get a good laugh. The acting of the two leads is truly good. This is my first time watching Kim Jin Woo as a cute and kind man and the surprise was pleasant. There's one shocking turn of events at the end and it's a good one.

The special tackles notions like fortune, luck, miscommunication in relationships, selfishness, cheating and fate. Will tomorrow be different or any better? Do people change?

''You can't take care of yourself but you help others that's why people think you're easy.''

Do You See Seoul?
Feb 22, 2015
Teachers shouldn't watch school works, doctors shouldn't watch medical and lawyers shouldn't watch legal. There should be some law about that. Getting too personal is dangerous.

So here's another work about how a teacher influences her students. What the teacher does here is try to widen her students horizons and give them the chance to hope and dream. The amount effort she exerted changed her students lives and showed them a different world.

The film also portrays how parents claim to support their kids and wish them a better life while they actually stand in their way and oppose any new way. It also presents the joy of exploration and seeing things for the first time. At the same time, it warns the dreamers that the road towards their goals is not as shiny as they might expect.

A touching story. Worth watching and rewatching.

Dr. Champ
Feb 14, 2015
Though there was nothing special to the plot; I liked the light and not complicated almost-love triangle. There were no villains and everyone had their own faults. I loved that human portrayal.

Uhm Tae Woong's acting shone through. I admit having Queen Seon Duk's syndrome -where I fell for everyone there; literally- so I started this already in love with him. His self-centred personality and weird sense of humour were so adorable. I liked his dark side that doesn't reflect on his humanity. The way he taught Kim Yeon Woo was so enjoyable to watch. That killing smirk got me gaga!

Park Ji Heon's character was so cute. I'd avoid it though. This kind of guys is burdensome and demanding.. only cute to watch from afar.

I loved Kim Soo Yeon.. well i'm biased so! i loved how she never hesitated to express what she thinks and stands her ground. and i loved how nothing stopped her from what she believes right.

The reason why I pushed this drama up was writing a stalker's guide on Kang So Ra. She didn't have much to give here but she was cute in the few minutes she'd appear every episode.

There were so many shirtless scenes -due to the fact that they are athletes- and my eyes were so happy!

The drama tackled so many medical and sport related cases. Though they were so beneficial for an ignorant like me, I felt that many were forced. They were so touching anyhow.

Sang Bong's character was the best thing about the drama. I cried buckets because of him.

The patriotic emphasis on being a ''Korean representative'' was evident.

The emphasis on the Korean pork they were promoting was so obvious i kept laughing -side effects of watching so many dramas; especially King of Dramas-

The cruel and twisted fate of Park Ji Heo and Yoo Sang Bong was so moving -and kept reminding me of School 2013-

The music was cute but repetitive.. i loved the osts.

I was not expected it to be so much fun.. I didn't get bored for a second.

Addicted
Jan 16, 2015
I cannot but raise my hat in respect to any writer or director who surprises me. Even if I wouldn't be enjoying something much then I get surprised, my mind immediately erases everything else. Well that what obviously happened here.

I started seriously hoping to find an Lee Byung Hun film without the word Mature in the genre. I love mature stuff; especially with Lee Byung Hun. I know what you think. Stop right there!! But mature films cannot be recommended to everyone that's why.

Anyhow the story kept me on my toes, yes. It started getting slower so I thought they were going to ruin it but the twist was just shocking for me. And I loved it.

I wondered why they presented the couples' every day's life in a so detailed way but then I understood when everything fit its place.

Not your oh-my-god-how-I-could-have-lived-before-this-film work, but it's definitely worth watching. Watching Lee Byung Hun playing the psycho doesn't surprise me anymore but amazes me all the same. This guy is not your average actor. Lee Min Yeon did a great job here as well.
The ending soundtrack grabbed my heart but I couldn't find it anywhere.
I don't think I'll watch it again though it's good enough for that.

Harvest Villa
Mar 17, 2015
The plot is genuine when it comes to Korean dramas. There are many surprising twists. The acting is superb. Many ideas are tackled brilliantly.
If it was a 12 or 16 ep drama it would have been the best. Dragging it affected it a bit.

Though I had suspected some events, the twists surprised me still. I loved how they lay bare our human nature. No hypocrisies here. It presents humans in their true form; greedy and selfish. When money is at stake, what would humans do?
On the other hand, it shows the importance of loyalty and love to other people and how money comes second for them.

'' When will be able to know what's truly important to us?'' is what the drama is about. Even if it's late, as long as we know, we're saved. We might live our lives chasing something not realising that what really matters to us is something else.

Trust is heavily depicted here. Can't we really trust anyone? Is it destined that everyone will betray us eventually?! How deep shall our trust be?! '' Don't trust people, trust money''; how far of this is true?!

The drama is a cool one. Don't put on hold though. If you leave it it'll be hard to go back to it and get the rhythm back.

Seonam Girls High School Investigators
Oct 16, 2015
A LOVELY school drama tackling high schoolers' troubles in an interesting and funny way. The issues discussed are common but not presented in this mature, global and non-conformist way. While we see private education's problems, bullying, sex, abortion, suicide, part-timing and homosexuality; we see them from different points of view. Everyone is free to express their opinions. No prejudice. No judgement. Though they might not agree or accept. Though they might fight and separate. They all had the right to hold their stands. But some people would try to dissuade others. Not because they believe their own opinion is right and others' wrong. But when they see someone being unhappy because of a road they've taken they try to show them the other roads. No forcing. No imposing ideas. Just as ''humans'' must treat each other.

The young actresses did a wonderful jobs. I can see the bright future of Korean actresses. Guest actors left a mark each.

Great songs. Mystery. Suspense. Tears. Deep questions. A perfect drama in each and every way.

You Know What? It's a Secret
Jun 24, 2015
To watch this film, one should separate themselves from all the present dramas and all that one watched and go back to 1990. Everything about the film was made to fit the era and to look back at it might not help.

The film tackles all the issues tackled in more recent Korean dramas, bullying, carelessness, students crushes on their teachers, troubled students, poverty, obsessed mothers, etc... Some of the famous scenes in Korean dramas are taken from the film.

The acting from the veteran actors was great. Ha Hee Ra gave a powerful performance. Lee Kyeong Yeong was awesome. It was one of Choi Soo Jong's first works so it explains why he was still struggling. But the most hilarious one to watch was Kim Min Jong -my favourite and the reason I watched the film-. His role was serious and dark but he couldn't act at the time obviously and I kept laughing at him. He was 18 and so cute.

The music, well, you know the music in cartoons where you feel there's a battle in the background! That's the music in the film. Hysterical.

I don't think I'll watch it again. Maybe some of KMJ's scenes to laugh at how adorable he was.

Rules of Love
Jun 14, 2015
As you might tell from the poster, I started this drama for Kim Min Jong. Kim Min Jong is my favourite actor. Period.

I honestly had no expectations. The drama was poorly rated -as usually the case- and it was not available online. So I started it with absolutely no expectations and ended up loving and Kim Min Jong in it.

So the drama started well but Kim Min Jong had almost no screen time and I was getting restless afraid he had some kind of supporting role or something but they finally set the story and he shone.. Hallelujah!! Chohwa's ultimate happiness.

The drama is refreshingly not about starting relationships but more about ending them. Though of course we have new relationships in the drama, the drama aims to tackle the different ways people manage their break-ups, how they react differently, how they manage their grief and the length of post break-ups. It presents people's contrasted views on relationships, like vs. love and goodbyes. Everyone likes in a way and dislikes in a way, and the drama sets to show us that.

The drama is beautiful in how human and realistic it is. There's love and there's life. People do move on and forget. There's nothing as qualifications and suitability in relationships. You just open your heart to someone. But what comes afterwards is not as easy. Rules of Love show how fickle the human heart is and how crucial it is to treat it carefully.

I will present the characters and the story through the relationships between the main leads:- No spoilers apart from what you find in the synopsis-

Han Jae Min & Seo Hee Won
This couple's story gets the drama off the ground that's why I'm starting with it.
Han Jae Min (Shim Ji Ho) is a young and talented photographer who's in love with his childhood friend Hee Won (Kim Ah Joong). Hee Won is an Elle journalist. She's bossy, arrogant, prejudiced but beautiful. She believes she's always right and talks down to people continuously. She's no more interested in Jae Min and she gives him the cold shoulder. To be closer to her, Jae Min gets a job at the studio she works with.
I didn't like this couple's moments. They were full of negative energy; lies, obsession, back-stabbing and hurting other people. Together, they formed a really creepy couple. But because of them the story evolved.

Han Jae Min & Kim Geun Young
So to achieve his goal and work at the studio, Jae Min decides to use Geun Young (Choi Kang Hee). Geun Young is a naive girl trying to pass the educator's exam. Her younger brother In Soo works at the studio. In Soo is Jae Min's high school classmate and they weren't on best terms. So Jae Min's only way to convince In Soo was through his sister. Jae Min approaches Geun Young. Geun Young falls into the trap.
Despite Geun Young being naive, she's a bright and honest girl. She gives her all when she does something and is dependable. When she finds herself tricked, she doesn't confine herself into a room and cries; she takes action.
Jae Min is childish, arrogant, selfish and irresponsible. He has to have things his way. Jae Min's character is one of the character's I've hated the most in dramas up till now. Not that he's-doing-his-really-hard-bad-role-excellently way. But in the what-on-earth-are-you-trying-to-do-with-this-character-dear-writer way. He has no edge, no charms and no depth. Even after he changes, I still don't like him. A waste of an interesting actor.

Kim Geun Young & Lee Seo Jun
Here comes what made the story, the story.
Talk about one adorable couple in one healthy relationship. It's been a while since I watched such a perfect couple.
So Kim Geun Young falls for Jae Min's trap and starts frequenting the studio. Lee Seo Jun (My Kim Min Jong) is the chief of the place. He's an established and well-known photographer. Geun Young's stubbornness and selflessness catches Seo Jun's eyes and it's no time before he falls for her. He takes a step back because Geun Young is supposedly in a relationship. But till when??
Oh my god!! How i fussed and turned watching Kim Min Jong here. In an interview after the drama aired, the interviewee complimented him at how charismatic he was. But KMJ replied that it was the character not him. Well I don't care. Whether it's the character or him. I'm really bad at splitting these.
Lee Seo Jun is a character that developes slowly; giving us time to think and feel with it. His facial expressions, eyes, hand gestures, posture, the way he lies, sits or stands, when he locks his hands like in a prayer or dreamily looks away. Whatever Lee Seo Jun does shows his mental and emotional struggle. His eyes gives him away; a sweet man unable to forget his past or express himself properly. But a man ready to change. That change got me personally involved and was the cutest things ever. Just laugh at his confused expressions.

Lee Seo Jun & Han Jae Min
I keep reaching a conclusion in life no matter how hard I try not to label things, but a man needs a rival to bring out what he's got.
So the two men share a complicated relationship; employee-employer, seonbae-hoobae and rivals. The push and pull between them was cute. No exaggerated subplots thankfully. Thanks to Seo Jun's maturity, the two could have a good relationship at the end. No bromance, no heated rivalry, again, thankfully.

Lee Seo Jun & Seo Hee Won
Lee Seo Jun has always known about Hee Won's feelings. But he's one straight man. He has nothing to give her so he ignores her completely. Well, I love that straightforwardness but he's gone too far honestly. Though I couldn't sympathise with Hee Won. She's one bitch character who never gets redeemed. One who wants to step on everyone else and doesn't realise she's committing any mistakes. Serves her right.
Made me hate Kim Ah Joong chincha!!

Kim Geun Young & Seo Hee Won
Guess what this relationship is about?! One lovely girl snatched the two men the proud beauty thought she had in her hands. How would the beauty react?! That's what Hee Won did to Geun Young.
What I liked about these two is that Geun Young never felt intimated because of Hee Won. Not after she woke up to the situation she was in that is. And at the same time never stooped to Hee Won's level. I kept applauding Geun Young.

here are negative things about the drama of course. It's a 2005 drama. So talk of weird fashions and styles, OSTs without dialogue and some dragging. The drama was set in a studio and revolved around photography but didn't really teach me anything new about the field.

And ah!! Kim Min Jong should never rap.

I learned so many things about relationships in this drama. I loved the OSTs and the acting of the main couple. I enjoyed the drama completely and it was a nice journey. Will definetly re-watch Kim Min Jong's parts one day.

Noriko Goes To Seoul
Mar 11, 2015
This is no noona romance. There's no romance at all here so don't freak out.

The story is nothing extraordinary but it's touching. I've always been drawn to dream-chasing stories. For the housewives who realise after years that they can actually chase their dreams before it's too late; all my admiration and respect. Yes, it's never too late to chase your dreams.

The maternal affection that develops between Noriko and Min Ha is so touching. Yes people; there are more variations to relationships between men and woman!

No twists and no surprises. Touching and cool. Won't recommend it to drama newbies. If you're a Hongki fan or if you love dream-chasing themes or music-related work, then yes watch this. It's no waste of time.

I loved Hongki singing -as always-.

Drama Special Season 1: Pianist
Feb 27, 2015
WOW! I'm pissed off right now! The ending was just the worse!

The story is nothing new. A woman who gave up on being a pianist meets a young genius and tries to push him to cherish his dreams. The man hesitates. They break up. The reconcile.
Neither the love or breakup scenes are satisfying. The acting is average.

The only good thing about it is the piano performances, though I'm not sure if MinHo is actually playing the piano because they never show a full shot of him playing. Anyhow, whoever plays is a great talent.

Well, won't rewatch or recommend it.