Editorials
Replying to PeachBlossomGoddess • Aug 23, 2026
Title The Road to Splendor Spoiler
He is indeed despicable but he is dumb and he bores me.
What did he do to deserve exile or execution? I mean he is nasty, weak and pathetic but it is his parents who are murderers and thieves.
1 5
On The Road to Splendor • Aug 23, 2026
Title The Road to Splendor
Sigh! 5th Master Fu is just so badly written!!! You would think after doing so many misdeeds for the Yus he would have gotten something out of it. But nope, he alienated his family, lost face and still is sticking around like fly paper for that elusive appointment. I would have thought he at least got that quid pro quo for killing his wife. But nope! He didn't even ask! Its super lazy writing that I ignored the first time when he sent grandma's maid to falsely testify but oops, they did it again!
13 5
Replying to T.S.Johnson • Aug 23, 2026
Title The Road to Splendor
My last thought on the day as I finish my breakfast and get back to writing:How fun would it have been if they…
Its a great idea the only thing is I don't think ZL will ever agree to pimping his wife out! Besides YJX is a small inept villain. They have bigger fish to fry. In this case the acorn falls far from the tree bc papa Yu has no such infatuation with her.😅
8 17
Replying to PeachBlossomGoddess • Aug 23, 2026
Title The Road to Splendor
He is indeed despicable but he is dumb and he bores me.
Idk why he hasn't been killed off or otherwise written off. He just exists to pine over TY and bounce between abusing women and his parents.
0 9
Replying to Crescenttimes • Aug 23, 2026
Title The Road to Splendor
as much as there are many characters to hate I don't think I can hate any more than Yu jingxiu he's so disgusting…
He is indeed despicable but he is dumb and he bores me.
3 12
Replying to swish vanilla • Aug 23, 2026
Title The Road to Splendor Spoiler
Fu Tingyun tells her her marriage is loveless and she responds by scheming to have Mama Fu murdered, goodness…
Well - I think it was much more about forcing ZL to take 100 days mourning so that he can't investigate the discrepancies in the Anzhou accounts. Unlike Yake, Mdm Yu doesn't react emotionally to casual insults. That's her superpower.
4 0
Replying to PeachBlossomGoddess • Aug 23, 2026
Title The Road to Splendor
She was the one who set everything in motion from the get go and now she regrets it. I get the message about untrammelled…
Indeed. I think the writers overdid TY's reflection/regret and it has diluted her character to some extent.
2 14
Replying to LuckyMandarins • Aug 23, 2026
Title The Road to Splendor Spoiler
Why can’t ZL tell TY her father murdered Fu mama?? Not like TY cannot take harsh truths!!! She is not some delicate…
Oh from the pointed questions she's asked, I am quite sure TY already figured it out. ZL is just allowing her the time and space to admit this heinous truth when she is ready.
6 1
Replying to T.S.Johnson • Aug 23, 2026
Title The Road to Splendor
So what was the point of giving us a badass FL who - after almost losing her life b/c friends and family - to…
She was the one who set everything in motion from the get go and now she regrets it. I get the message about untrammelled ambition but I think they are laying it on too thick.
7 16
Replying to LoveInKDrama • Aug 23, 2026
Title The Road to Splendor
OMG. Too much scheming. Where tf did these Anzhou people come from? Can't I catch a break, goodness gracious!
She is bribing everyone left and right. Unintended consequences of the salt reform is everyone thinks they can bribe their way into access to salt permits going forward.
1 0
Replying to noor1234 • Aug 23, 2026
Title The Road to Splendor
Cut her some slack! She's playing the cards she's dealt in life. And FL did not save her from anything. In fact…
I am not convinced there is any value to that - the Yus are veterans of the court and the only in character expression would be poker face. The ML is redeemed himself by killing two birds wiht one stone. And he will further redeem himself by drought relief - I thought it was all very clear. Not sure there was anything that needed further elaboration.
1 0
Replying to Maryena • Aug 23, 2026
Title The Road to Splendor
Orchid is 兰花 (lan hua) in Chinese and magnolia is 玉兰花 (yu lan hua).Maybe it's because of this?!
Idk can you tell me episode and time? I don’t watch with English subtitles so I am not sure exactly what people are confused about.
0 0
Replying to PeachBlossomGoddess • Aug 23, 2026
Title The Road to Splendor Spoiler
I was told in the novel he never changed his dislike for FTY. I wish they kept him that way instead of making…
Thx - quite a lot of changes.
1 1
Replying to Maryena • Aug 23, 2026
Title The Road to Splendor
I think because he married into her family?! Or is this some kind of female empowerment in the drama?In the novel,…
No he is not her matrilocal husband or zhui xu/赘婿 . And the Xie family is a merchant family they are just wealthy commoners. Only the Fus were noble and they have disowned her.
1 1
Replying to Thuc Duyen • Aug 23, 2026
Title The Road to Splendor
I love it. I am just waiting for YJX to rebel against his parents Lol.
I think he is insolent and overestimates himself. He is his own worst enemy, he keeps blowing himself up and refuses to own his own mistakes. His mom told him to marry FTY. She told him to stay at the capital to earn the new emperor's trust instead of going trotting off to Ganlin. I don't find him to be an interesting character nor am I looking for a redemption arc for him. Still irritated at FTY for saving him from that collapsed roof. When your husband tries to murder your enemy, let him!🤦🏻♀️
2 0
Replying to Bonnie Vf • Aug 23, 2026
Title The Road to Splendor
I was Late to start this but I am In love with the director and art direction of this drama & how historically…
Ming dynasty was incredibly corrupt. I never figured out exactly how the Yus had a hand in the previous salt system but I am sure they did bc the Fu family bought out all the salt to scatter around the compound as snow when Mdm Yu and son came to look for a bride. In the revised system, the Anzhou merchants who were disadvantaged locationally in the past gained relative advantage bc they no longer have to transport grain across a longer distance in exchange for the permits. This is explained in detail in discussion posts above. The new system is essentially a free for all bc everyone can bid for the salt permits in exchange for silver. You can see how that probably sets up for speculation and corruption. All of the merchants are vying with each other to be well positioned to obtain/bid for permits from the issuing salt offices.
7 0
Replying to CrispyBaguettes • Aug 23, 2026
Title The Road to Splendor
With episode 27, the emperor bestows the lapis beads to Zhao Ling. I know it means something significant, that…
Per @Salwa Nice's post the circulation of lapis lazuli was strictly regulated and part of imperial regalia during Ming dynasty. The fact that it was bestowed on Zhao Ling is a clear symbol of imperial favor.
4 0
Replying to tan • Aug 23, 2026
Title The Road to Splendor Spoiler
kinda scared that jin yuanbao would betray zhao ling once again 😭
He is just a fair weather friend.
2 0
Replying to Maryena • Aug 23, 2026
Title The Road to Splendor
Orchid is 兰花 (lan hua) in Chinese and magnolia is 玉兰花 (yu lan hua).Maybe it's because of this?!
I watch with Chinese subtitles so I didn't see the English translations but magnolia 玉兰花 can be literally translated as Jade orchid. Even though they are botanically different flowers, in Chinese they are linguistically and culturally related. I vaguely recall those scenes you must be referring to and my impression is that YJX didn't dare spell out that he specifically likes the Jade orchid so he just says orchids. And Yake admits she was originally a narcissus became an orchid - leaving unsaid that she failed to reach the higher level of transforming herself into a jade orchid.
14 5
Replying to anya • Aug 23, 2026
Title The Road to Splendor
So ZL is his friend only when he is in power and can help the merchant guyAm I the only one who doesn't care for…
The merchants are realistically portrayed - they are utilitarian and curry favor with the officials. Its been like this since time immemorial. Yet ZL still tries to shield him from any fallout to his political risk taking bc he is just a business man trying to make a living - it shouldn't be for him to bear the burden of his missteps.
12 0

77
335
10
1
5
1
13
1
2
3
1
2
1
1
6
12
2
1
2
1
2
1
1
3
2
1
2
2
1
2
1
9