K-Drama
Replying to crazysexycoolpal • Nov 20, 2024
Article Recommendations for all Genres
For Drama/Family, I love "Happy Birthday" and "In Family We Trust"Sports, is my recommendation "Project S: Side…
Alice in Borderland and Revenant are among my top favorites and I liked the movie version of Bad Genius (haven't watched the series yet). I thought the second seasons of Sweet Home and Uncanny Counter were huge disappointments to the point where I don't even recommend starting those shows.
0 0
awkward potato • Nov 20, 2024
Article Recommendations for all Genres
I'm kind of surprised I've watched well over half of these shows. Turns out my tastes align a lot more with Mon and Xiao Xi. In both cases, I generally agree with 7 recommendations each, strongly disagree with a couple each, somewhat disagree with a couple more each, and haven't seen 4 each. In contrast I only agree with two of the shows recommended by Awkward Potato (¨Reset¨ & ¨Silent¨).
2 1
Replying to theematchabun • Nov 9, 2024
Title Jeongnyeon: The Star Is Born
Every tae ri drama we need therapy lmao 😂
I'm not normally into horror, but her acting in Revenant was so fantastic that it was worth watching just for her.
1 0
Replying to Bbyxblue • Nov 9, 2024
Title Jeongnyeon: The Star Is Born
You can watch on hulu
Hulu is only available in the U.S.
0 0
Replying to shoco117 • Nov 9, 2024
Title Jeongnyeon: The Star Is Born
It says Disney Plus, but I'm watching on Hulu. And I don't have the Hulu and Disney bundle.
I just wish Disney+ (or any other streamer) was showing this in my region. But they don't show any k-dramas here. They do allow Star+ to show about 3 new k-dramas a year, but often not the better ones. So far this year, of all shows Disney+ has the rights to, for some crazy reason they decided to only offer us A Shop for Killers (which at least was pretty good), Seoul Busters, and Gangham B Side. What makes this particularly crazy from a business point of view is that k-dramas are very popular here. At any given time, there is almost always at least one k-drama (if not more) in the Netflix Top 10 for this country.
0 0
Replying to moonchild • Nov 5, 2024
Title Mr. Plankton
I think this year was a bit weaker, but there were a lot of great and good dramas this year also.
While I do think 2023 was a stronger year for k-dramas, there have been several pretty good series this year. My favorites for 2024 so far include Pyramid Game, The Judge from Hell, Lovely Runner, Parasyte, Marry My Husband, and A Shop for Killers (in roughly that order).
0 0
Replying to Cora • Nov 5, 2024
Title Mr. Plankton
Dissappointing, huh? Bequeathed, 8 show, Parasyte, Whirlwind, Hellbound 2 were good...
I do generally like horror and action thrillers, as well as romances, but of the shows you mention, I was honestly only really impressed by Parasyte. I thought both Bequeathed and Hellbound (S1 & S2) were particularly disappointing. I think my favorite relatively recent horror k-dramas were last year's Revenant (particularly due to an exceptional acting tour de force performance from Kim Tae-ri), and 2022's All of Us Are Dead.
0 0
Replying to Cora • Nov 5, 2024
Title Mr. Plankton
I find it a cheap tactic to evoke emotions
I would generally agree that its an overused trope. But one of the best Netflix original movies I've watched this year was ¨Drawing Closer¨ out of Japan, in which both leads have terminal diseases. Yes, its depressing in a way, but it can also be somehow uplifting. If its done right with really good actors (and Deguchi Natsuki was simply outstanding in that movie), this trope can still make for a worthwhile watch. That's one movie for which I completely agree with the very high rating here on MDL.
0 0
Replying to amu • Nov 4, 2024
Article Laugh And Be Merry - King The Land
I haven’t watched it, but I want to remind you fans not to engage with haters who try to make you feel foolish…
I thought part of the purpose of this comments section was to give our honest opinion about a show . Is it really considered hate just to criticize a show for specific reasons? Particularly one that was widely panned by a large number of people on this very website for much the same reasons. I personally value reading different opinions about shows I'm considering watching.
1 1
DrKay • Nov 4, 2024
Article Laugh And Be Merry - King The Land
I thought King the Land was one of the worst k-dramas I´d ever watched. It' s certainly the worst (by far) that I ended up watching until the end. Admittedly there was great chemistry between leads, but the plot was almost non-existent, mostly consisting a series of poorly developed and poorly connected scenes that came across as transparent excuses to put the leads together in different situations. 16 long episodes consisting of very repetitive cute scenes between the leads with only a pretense of anything else happening is way too much. I didn't drop the series only because I kept hoping something would happen.
5 1
Replying to gingerkiss • Oct 26, 2024
Article Son Ye Jin and Ji Chang Wook will possibly be the next pairing in a new Netflix original K-drama!
"This will also possibly be Ji Chang Wook's first Netflix original K-drama. " This isn't correct is it? The Sound…
I can understand not remembering Sound of Magic. A light piece of fluff that was eminently forgettable, all the more so because of the really lame music (not a good thing for a musical). I didn't think it was horrible, but there just wasn't much there.
0 2
Replying to 9999775 • Oct 26, 2024
Article Son Ye Jin and Ji Chang Wook will possibly be the next pairing in a new Netflix original K-drama!
Not a fan of the director?
I wouldn't even count Tune in for Love as good. I thought the script was a mess, which pretty much drained all emotional tension from the story.
2 0
Replying to CJK_Drama_Unlimited • Oct 20, 2024
Article Mulan-like C-drama Legend of the Female General drops trailer
C-Drama still lacks many if compare to KDrama but when it comes to Historical drama..CDrama definitely isn't inferior…
I don´t really think you can compare Korean Sageuk with Chinese Wuxia. I like historical fiction, but this whole ancient magical martial arts world of most wuxia just isn't my thing. When it comes to straight up historical series of the kind I prefer, I've found k-dramas are usually better. Though there are exceptions, on average, Korean historical dramas tend to have better writing with deeper more sophisticated plots, better acting, better cinematography, and often better overall production values. But if you are more into the fantasy and magic, than c-dramas may be more to your liking.
1 1
Lily Alice • Oct 17, 2024
Article Queen of Tears, Boyhood win big at 2024 Korea Drama Awards
My favorite k-drama so far in 2024 has been (much to my own surprise) Pyramid Game. But as a low profile TVING show, I´m not surprised it didn't win anything. I do want to watch Boyhood, but can't find it anywhere.
3 0
Replying to castawaydish • Oct 17, 2024
Article Queen of Tears, Boyhood win big at 2024 Korea Drama Awards
I cannot believe they gave Lee Yikyung the best villain over Song Hayoon like wtf???? Song Ha Yoon and Park Minyoung…
Agree 100%. If they were going to give a best villain award to Marry My Children, it should have been to Song Ha Yoon
0 1
Replying to szmoleage • Oct 17, 2024
Article Queen of Tears, Boyhood win big at 2024 Korea Drama Awards
I don't know why they press the Queen of Tears so much, she doesn't understand anything. Marry My Husband is much…
I thought both were about equally good, but neither was quite as good as Lovely Runner.
6 0
On Love Next Door • Oct 11, 2024
Title Love Next Door
We still have 4 episodes to go in my region and I´m wondering if this show suddenly goes downhill in those final episodes because of the way the ratings dropped so sharply both here on MDL and on IMDb at the end of the season. I've really enjoyed the show so far (I'm up to episode 10) and I'd hate to see it ruined by a poor ending.
2 4
Badass Bunny • Oct 9, 2024
Article Japanese TV Series for Those Who Are in a Rush
I notice a heavy focus on Boy Love series on this list. Nothing wrong with that for those who are interested, but you've left out some pretty good shorter Japanese series in other genres. ¨First Love Hatsukoi¨, ¨Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu¨, and ¨Boku Dake ga Inai Machi¨ just to mention a few I would recommend at least trying. Also, note that several of the shows you do list have additional seasons that make them longer.
5 0
Lily Alice • Oct 5, 2024
Article "Crash Landing on You" Remake to Be Co-Produced with Netflix USA — Studio Dragon CEO
I see we have yet another MDL comments section taken over by bigoted trolls.
4 1
Replying to Mephisto • Oct 5, 2024
Article "Crash Landing on You" Remake to Be Co-Produced with Netflix USA — Studio Dragon CEO
Which one wasnt that good?
The American Ballerina is not a remake of the Korean Ballerina. It's a completely different story. It's also staring Ana de Armas, so I will definitely be giving it a chance.
0 3
1