• Join Date: April 21, 2017

YueofBlueGables

YueofBlueGables

Soredemo, Ikite Yuku
May 16, 2017
Waaaa, another wonderful human drama... I knew it, I knew it was going to be excellent. Another kind of J-doramas I love, because it was simple: simple clothes, simple but stunning locations, nothing snobish and all too real. I mean, look at Eita and Hikari! He is not even shaved; she has no make-up. They both have black hair (no dyed hair here). And although there are cries every episode (it was impossible not to cry -for the characters I mean, I did not cry once) there are no shouts nor overacting (though I like overacting in J-doramas, if they are comedies of course).

*Story: 10/10*
I was hooked from the very first episode. It is very human: it is about family, revenge, regrets, resentment, forgiving... Both families are still living in the past, even if the murder happened 15 years ago, but no one (except for the younger brother of Hiroki, played by Takana Kei, who looked a bit like Osamu Mukai sometimes) has moved forward. Fukami family is still sad and angry; and the Misaki/Toyama family is still with lots of regret and remorse and sadness. I love how Hiroki gets to know Futaba and slowly starts to realize that it is not the family's fault, at least not entirely. I know that it is part of the Japan society, to blame the whole family of the murderer (or criminal) and the family to become a pariah, but it was so sad! I mean, they suffered as well; they also lost a son.

And about the murderer, poor guy. He was sick. It was hard not to feel sorry for him. Total psychopath, but how it was represented you can tell he was mentally sick.

Although if we have to summarize, not a lot happens, it is never a dragging dorama.

*Acting/Cast: 10/10*
I mean, if it wasn't for the cast, I may have not watched this. I love Eita. I love Hikari. Mothers and father were also good, so pitiful... not to mention Kazama Shunsuke. I know him, of course, being a Johnny and bestie of Aiba, but I never once saw him as a Johnny; only as a pitiful murderer. Tears were abundant and all of them so good. Honestly, I wanted to comfort Hikari most of the times; she is just so vulnerable! I wanted her to be happy with Hiroki.

*Music: 10/10*
OMG, the music was so good! The OP and ED song was the same but full of feelings. And the OST is already in my playlist... sad and beautiful. I love it. I would give a 11/10 if I could.

Rewatch value: 8/10
Man, I am so disappointed with the ending. Otherwise this would have been a 10/10 for me :(

Bakuman.
May 16, 2017
I waited so much to see this movie. I think I have never waited so much for a movie before. When the cast was announced I was excited. I thought, and still did while watching it, that Takeru should have been Shuujin, and Ryunosuke should have been Saiko, but nevertheless, it was a good movie. The pace was well done, the special effects were very good as well. There isn't a single slow moment in the movie. All actors were spotted on. And the setting! The department looked exactly the same, the clothes were exactly the same. To see the real Shounen Jump building and offices (at least, I think they were the real locations) was as exciting as it was impressive. All those papers.. thousands and thousands of it. All those mangas!

Speaking about mangas, I was so satisfied to see that the manga used in the movie were done by the same mangaka that did BAKUMAN. His style is unique; any fan of his can recognize his work. And to see works like Otter in real life! Otter is a manga written by Hiramaru in Bakuman, and I always wanted to read it, even if it doesn't exist really.

So, the cast. There was a good chemistry between the lead actors, which didn't surprise me since I know they have worked together before. I liked that they could shake hands -or whatever you called that- only when they get serialized. It was a good point. I like that the "love story" with Miho wasn't as pathetic as in the manga/anime. In fact, they talk several times, over the phone and face to face, and it wasn't awkward, just 2 teenagers getting to know each other. She even sends him a photo of her! Something that lame Miho in anime/manga wouldn't have done. I think the scriptwriter or the director disagreed with the portrayal of the main female character in the manga/anime (it was sexist, let's be honest), so they made her less pathetic and less "I wanna be a seijuu to marry you".

Kiritani Kenta as Fukada-san was SPOT ON! He was excellent, he does this kind of character so well! The one who is rebellious and kind of a gangster but with a big heart. By far my favorite. I love his outfits, his expressions, and I am glad his role wasn't tiny. But well, all members of Fukada-team were good: Hinamaru had his moments of depression that did not fail to make me laugh, Nakai-san was there with his big belly helping his friends... True, no Aiko in the story, but it was understandable. Not all characters could be in a 2-hour-movie.

Yamada Takayuki was, I guess, a mix between the 2 editors the boys have, because he certainly wasn't confident Hattori-san. He even wears glasses and has long hair (again, not Hattori-san), and he is smaller than the boys, unlike Hattori-san. If I didn't have to compare, I'll say he was good, but nothing outstanding.

So, what was my main concern: Niizuma Eiji, who is one of my favorite characters, besides having an unique personality. Was Sometani Shouta exactly like Eiji is supposed to be? No. He wasn't as loud, as crazy, and with such weird and funny expressions and movements as Eiji. Was I disappointed? Well, not exactly. To be honest, Eiji is not a character that can be portrayed faithfully in real life, so what Sometani did was good. He did his role well, he did his research: he walked funnily, slouching, just like Eiji. He has a goofy smile, like Eiji. When he has a -metaphorically- battle against Ashirogi-sensei (penname that was never used in the movie, btw... they go by their names), he has the wings and when he is jumping, he does an Eiji-pose. Just with that I am grateful.

In the manga/anime, the guys form some kind of alliance when they encounter problems with their editorial. It begins when Saiko is in the hospital and the director forbids him to keep drawing while he is sick. All the other mangaka (Nakai-san, Aiko, Fukada-san, Eiji) support Ashirogi-sensei. Unfortunately, due lack of time in a 2-hour movie, that alliance could not be done as in the manga/anime. Instead, the guys help Saiko to finish his work. I liked that, that we could see how the guys, although rivals, are all friends. And although Eiji did not help him in drawing (it would have been very OoC) he helps in another way. Very well done, scriptwriter!

I liked the end, that things remain not-finished: Saiko and his relationship with Miho; their career as mangaka... I liked that they have this brainstorming of ideas with a blackboard, because for us fans, it was meaningful. We know what other mangas there will be, so this was like a "to be continued..."

For fans of the manga/anime, and for people interested in how the mangaka's world works, this movie is highly recommended. I am very happy to say that I wasn't disappointed and that I highly liked it.

Hana Yori Dango
May 15, 2017
Amazing. I am surprised. Not because of the dorama itself, but because it is so overrated. After reading in so many forums that this dorama is the best, that it is recommended for everyone (especially for people new on the dorama world), that it has a Chinese version; a Thai version; a Korean version; a American version... WOW

This is the second dorama I watched years ago -mind you, the second first Episode. After my first experience with Japanese dramas, I was excited to watch more, and after a lot of research, I decided for HYD. I barely finished Ep. 1... I disliked Doumyouji tremendously, although I did like Makino. And I have to admit, I thought the guys were very plain (they were supposed to be the most handsome of the school). So I drop it.

Then, I became a fan of Arashi. This dorama was mentioned once in a while. I started to like MatsuJun. I liked Oguri Shun a little bit. I read the manga then, and WOW, it became the shoujo manga I hate the most. But anyway, i just had to watch this, so here I am.

*This was good:

- The actresses: from Makino to Tsubaki. Makino (Inoue Mao) is a tough girl, she barely cries and she can stand up for justice. She is cute without being too cute; she is strong, she can kick ass whenever it is needed. It is not wonder why Doumyouji loves her.

- The setting: no wonder it is one of the most expensive doramas in Japan. Doumyouji’s mansion O_O, the mother’s office, the school… everything is so vast, clean and bright! But not only the buildings and rooms are beautiful; the streets are as well. It was Christmas’ time I guess, because all the lights in the street are amazing, plus the trees and the sidewalks all covered with yellowish leaves… Japan is so beautiful.

- The OST: I liked “Planetarium” by Ai Otsuka. It suited all the occasions so well. And although I am not really a fan of Arashi’s song, the opening “Wish” was fun and young-ish, and it went excellent with the presentation. It has an anime style that goes well with the dorama.

- Soujiro and Akira: I’ve read many times “Oh Doumyouji”… “Oh Hanazawa Rui”. Well, in my case was “Oh Soujiro and Akira”. Not because they are handsome (although Matsuda Shota is attractive in a very period Japanese style) but because they were so nice and easy going. In my mind, they were like Takenaga and Ranmaru (from YNSH), because the first one was more serious and the heir of a house of tea, and the second one because he liked to hang out with older, married women. They provided comic situations, they were just two sidekicks but very likable… from episode 3. Very good friends to Doumyouji (no idea why) and they helped him and Makino several times.

- Doumyouji’s love. I guess I am like all women, because I thought that Doumyouji was very romantic when he wanted to be. The times when he confessed his love to Makino, but more than anything, the times he proclaimed that of course Makino was the best of women because he chose her. And in front of many people, nonetheless! And because I am a big fan of bickers, I love every time he and Makino had their little discussions. Also, the hugs, because it is rare in a Jdorama to have REAL hugs.

- The symbol of the apple. I thought it was sweet, that it symbolized friendship. I love Japan, and find these little meaningful things is a delight.

*Kind of funny:

- The clothing. It was so bad (the shoes, the jackets... again the shoes). I guess that in Japan, while more rich, more tacky, and it is obvious here. It was so bad I liked it. I think it is part of Japan's charm...their over-the-top fashion sense. Although some guys -well, all except Doumyouji- needed a good haircut. I liked Doumyouji curly black hair; I think MatsuJun looks nice with this kind of style.

- Makino's English accent. In the last episode, Makino is a contestant of Teen Of Japan. There is a challenge where the girls have to give a speech in English. She was very cute; I could understand at least 30% of what she said :D

- When she gets trained by the F4 was also very fun. Specially because it reminded me again of YNSH.

*And the "Huh? People like this?"

- Errr.. Doumyouji. While it is true that from Episode 3 he gets more charming, I will never forget his behavior in the first episodes. I still think he is a punk who likes to punch people for no reason. But worst of all, he sent boys to gang-rape Makino. That is unforgivable! That is the lowest of the low. As my dear Mr Darcy would say: “My good opinion once lost is lost forever.” He is a sadist, not only likes to punch everyone, but he is also a bully to girls (he likes to shove them). Not the nice necklace, nor the sweet words, can make me forget and forgive that.

- Hanazawa Rui. This has to be the worst hairstyle of Oguri Shun. That color and cut were awful. He is a good looking guy, but he doesn't look like it in this dorama. I don't understand how girls can say he is a "knight" who saved Makino over and over again. While it is true that he saved her, he is far from being a knight. Or maybe I have Hanazawa Rui-manga impregnated in my mind. The first time he saved her, he told her "May be I shouldn’t have. What is the big deal? It’s only your virginity, right?". What a "knight", huh. They made him more appealing in the dorama, but I never warmed towards him. I never felt the "love triangle" from his side. He liked Makino, but that's it. He was not "in love" with her. (on the other side, it was a positive thing, cuz I hate love triangles)

- The bullying is terrible. The "Red Card" is the silliest of all, the students are all so fake, and the teachers... what teachers? Seems like this school was all students and no staff.

- Finally, to be honest, the plot is not one of its kind. Rich, spoiled boy falls in love with the poor, pariah girl. Love triangle. Bitch mother-in-law. First kiss after one bumps into the other. Both MC locked inside an elevator. Kidnapping. Dangerous situations for the girl. It was nothing new; it was almost like reading any YA book that are so popular nowadays.

To end my review, I would say that I do not regret watching this. It is, of course, A MUST. It has it funny and romantic situations, but also, a lot of silly ones. The good silly and the bad silly. I am not sure I will watch Season 2... I guess I will eventually, but after the last episode, I did not have the urge to continue.

Kisaragi
May 15, 2017
It started out a bit slow for me. But eventually, once one of the "fans" tells his doubts about Miki having committed suicide, the things began to change for good. Every little twist was unexpected. I love when each guy tells his alibi or what happened that night and how it was showed for us the audience. It had a very old-school mystery vibe. And whenever I was thinking "so this is the criminal", something else happened that made me change my mind.

It may be dull to watch a movie where the entire story happens inside a small, dark room, but Kisaragi proves the opposite. The script was very good, well paced, and I love the mystery. Not predictable at all. I was finding out the truth along the guys. The plot is the kind I love to read in books.

The actors were all good in their parts. Heck, another movie with Oguri Shun :S but his role was very different from the kind I saw so far: not cocky, not cool, just a fanboy happy to celebrate his favorite idol gravure's anniversary death.

It is funny because currently I am reading a book about idols, and almost everything they say in the movie about the girl's life is in the book...

Very recommended. Only 5 guys inside a room, trying to solve a mystery. But how the mystery is portrayed was spectacular XD

May 15, 2017
I binge-watched this dorama the whole weekend. I can't believe I've never read nor see anything about this, the cast includes Fujiki Naohito and Kiritani Kenta! Fukada Kyoko and Endo Kenichi! Ishida Yuriko and Furuta Arata! The cover looks like a fun show. And the song is catchy.

This kind of drama suits Fukada Kyoko so well. She is stunning, looks like a doll. Acts like a doll too, sometimes very wooden. And she loves to pout, but she does it so well! She is perfect for a simple-minded character. Recently I watched "Please love the useless me" (which was good, btw) and I said that Shunin was like Buchou, a little bit. And surprise! She has a dorama with Buchou, nonetheless.

I liked the show, otherwise I wouldn't have finished it in a couple of days. It was light, as light as a dorama about cheating husbands can be. Kiritani Kenta runs an agency that investigates extra-marital affairs. Serina comes to work for him, and in the meantime, disguises herself to be close to her husband in his office. So while she is in disguise most of the times, it was pretty much the same outfit, not all the variety that shows in the poster, which was a bit disappointing.

I hate love triangles, and even if the two guys are these 2 hotties, I couldn't like it. Besides, for the first time, I had a 2nd-lead-syndrome. Guy 1 is a jerk, does not appreciate Serina, takes her for granted, commits the biggest treason, does not deserve her love. Guy 2 has a lot more chemistry with her, is the only really likable character among punchable characters, and what is more, is not a jerk.

And Serina... my, I wanted to shake her so badly many times through the drama. All she says is "Fumi-kun, Fumi-kun". She is very in love with her husband, to the point where she looks obsessed. She is the sweetest, but also a stupid, weak, and too forgivable. She does nothing. This is supposed to be the journey of a dependable woman that becomes stronger, but if stronger means turning right... (???) Every day she is watching her husband with his boss, flirting or not, sharing a mascot charm strap, etc, etc, and she does nothing except mope. Gawd, it was infuriating.

Terrible ending. She does not change at all. Oh, and btw, her father is another big jerk! Can't recommend this to any feminist. The romance is super offensive. Taking aside that offensive fact, Serina in cover + some cases were amusing to watch.

Atashinchi no Danshi
May 12, 2017
It was everything I want in a comedy drama. The exact thing I was expecting from "Meichan no Shitsuji" (and that I did not get). This dorama was cute without being corny, funny without being ridiculous, with a bit of romance without being too romantic. There wasn't a single episode I did not like. Most of the times, the last 2 or 3 episodes are MEH, but not in this case. It ended perfectly, actually. Although I wouldn't have minded a Sp, but well, you can't have everything!

I liked the characters so much. The cast was OK, but not perfect. But the characters were very likable! Let's start with Horikita Maki. I don't find her a good actress, to be honest. She is very stiff. Her talent, however, is that she is extremely charming. Maybe she was extra kawaii in this dorama, or maybe she improved in her acting, but I think this was her best role so far -not that I have seen many of her works, mind you.- Chisato was a very likable character: a bit tough, a bit soft, and not annoying at all! So different from her role in HanaKimi. Unlike in other doramas, I understand why the boys ended up loving her.

The boys... At first none of them make a good impression. Takeru (Okada Yoshinori) is a yankee that is hard on Chisato since Day 1. Satoru (Seto Koji) is a hikikomori with the worst kind of hairstyle, which was a shame because he has an adorable face -though a bit feminine-. Akira (the youngest son) was a bit stiff and it seemed like he was going to be a brat. Masaru (Yamamoto Yusuke) is a model who has a woman-phobia, and looked like a drag-queen. Sho (Osamu Mukai) is a playboy who likes money only, and is father of a boy. The older brother takes longer to show, only bits here and there, and at first he looked like he was going to be trouble.

The secondary characters were also charming: from Kyoko, Sinzo-san's (father of the boys and husband of Chisato for a month until he dies) secretary, to the kogal that works at the store. I have to say that the actress who played Kyoko (Takashima Reiko) is so elegant! And looks like an older version of Sawajiri Erica...

It was strange to see Horikita Maki with that guy Yamamato (Sinzo's other secretary), now that they are married. But well, his role was ok and he grew on me. Kind of.

So the challenges that Chisato had to face were silly, so what? I loved the Mother's Goals. Not so much at first, but from #3 or so, when they boys decided to help her, it became funny and entertaining. Slowly all boys started to be nice and sweet. Since they are almost all the time together, it was easy to see and accept their bond. I liked them all, even Akira (it is just that the boy could not act, poor child), but my favorites were Sho and Takeru. Sho because Osamu Mukai looked his best here; he was such a handsome guy! And Takeru because he was damn funny, and his bromance with Sho were just the best. Next in line is, surprisingly, Fuu. He seemed very disagreeable at first, but actually he was a nice guy! I don't know if it was for that, but now I like Kaname Jun more than I used to.

There is a lot of bromance (Sho/Takeru and Masaru/Satoru). There is a lot of fanservice (the guys spent most of their time in their spa, ergo, half naked). There are lot of scenes that could have been cheesy, but were not (all the times that they referred to them being a family. Or Chisato remembering her time with Sinzo-san). There is also a bit of incest, if it can be called like that (Chisato and her father. Three of her "sons" falling for her). Lots of unrealistic moments (Kyoko showing up from nowhere. Inoue the ninja maid. Hidden treasures. The castle itself). A bit of allusions to other doramas (actually, just one that I remember, and it is at the final episode where Yamamoto Yusuke poses as his character in HanaKimi... I loved that part!). And there is actual romance, not just an allusion to it (TWO kisses! and many moments together

Mei-chan no Shitsuji
May 12, 2017
I love silliness in my manga, anime and dorama. The kind that obviously does not exist in real life, or the kind that make you think "how ridiculous!", with a laugh. Like it happens in Ouran High School Host Club, or Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge. In fact, I picked this dorama because it looked like it was similar to Hana Kimi.

And it is... in some ways. First, the school is completely ridiculous. No teachers that we can see of, and the students do what they want. Also, some actors that were in HanaKimi are also in Meichan, like Nanba-sempai, Oscar and Hibari-san.

And there is where the similarities end.

It is true that, like it happened to me while watching HanaKimi, I kept thinking "this is so ridiculous". But with HanaKimi I was thinking this while I was laughing. Instead, with Meichan, every time I had this thought was with a straight face and rolling my eyes.

Let's start with our heroine, Mei-chan.

While Horikita Maki can't act, and while she was kind of annoying as Mizuki, Eikura Nana was dull as Mei-chan. Maki is a bad actress, but she has charisma. Eikura Nana is a better actress but she was so dull. And her character was exactly like those girls in shoujo manga I hate so much: so nice, so naive. She cries for nothing. She gives up when there is a problem. She constantly runs away. Two nice guys love her, no idea why. The villain of the story tried to ruin her life several times, yet she "forgives" her and wants to be her friend. The sidekick of the villain shot an arrow to her love, yet she "forgives" her. All people that are mean to her, she forgives them. Arggg!

Another thing that bothered me about her, which is not completely related to her, is the lenght of her skirt. Yes, Eikura Nana is tall and has nice legs, but she is supposed to be a nerdy, innocent, kind of silly girl! Instead, she wears the shortest skirt in school.

Her childhood friend, played by Sato Takeru, confesses his love for her. Yet every time he says something like "I will always be by your side", what is her reply? "Mameshiba...." (his nickname). I swear, this happens almost every episode:

- Kento: I will fight for you, I will not give up.
- Mei: Mameshiba....

- Kento: I will always love you. Maybe sometime you will love me too.
- Mei: Mameshiba....

- Kento: I will go to England to become a better butler to be with you forever.
- Mei: Mameshiba....

And when he decides to leave to England, she gets mad. Doesn't say goodbye. But oh wait, she regrets her decision at the last minute, and of course everyone, including her awesome butler, have to do the impossible so she can get to the airport to have the above kind of conversation again.

All I have to say about Sato Takeru is... dude, that orange hair! Seriously, it was awful. Looked like a mushroom or something. And he looks like a 90-year-old man in a boy body. The bags under his eyes! Please, eat more! He was pouting and stomping all the time like a little boy. He did not have a chance against his cool brother, who at least behave like a man.

The headmistress was a joke, and not the good kind. All she did was read manga (really???). Well, the whole school was a joke, actually. What with those four mean girls who were always crossing arms? Who were they to have so much power? And they acted so bad. Like, BAAAAD. Lucia-sama was another cartoonish evil character: supposedly fragile and beautiful, but disguising her mean motives. Yawn, at the end she "redeems" herself. How? Only by trying to commit suicide, but wait! Sweet Mei comes to save her and tell her she wants them to be friends **eyerolls**. The other girls were all 2-dimensional: the tsundere, the fatty, the rich brat, the weirdo, etc. None of them very likeable.

Not one moment I believed the bond between Mei and her classmates. Why would they? Because Mei "helped" them to keep their butlers? There was ZERO chemistry between the girls. And there were some good actresses. But yikes, no friendship at all there. I did not feel like they enjoyed shooting the scenes. The "best" of them (and at "best" I am referring to the most tolerable) was the little girl. The others were mediocre.

I found the idea of a girl and her butler very creepy, not romantic nor funny at all. These girls lived among girls only, except for their butlers. Of course some of them would develop romantic feelings for their butlers (which was prohibited). And how could these young, capable, handsome man be happy serving a spoiled rich girl? Some of them have medical abilities. Yet they were enslaved by these girls. Yes, ENSLAVED. They had to risk their lives for their mistress, they had to give up their own lives to serve their mistress. It was a very weird concept... The butlers did not own their lives; their mistresses did. There is a scene where Mei and Lucia-sama have a duel and the one who wins will keep Rihito-sama, like he is some kind of dog or something. In fact, Lucia-sama claims that she will have him forever and never, that she will own him.... Ehhhhh?

As for Hiro playing Rihito-sama, the perfect butler... While he looked very good as a butler, and he is very handsome with a model-like pose, I wasn't convinced with his acting. He squints his eyes very much (like he did in Kuroshitsuji).

In fact, the only one I think was very good was Osamu Mukai, as the evil butler. He looked good instead of ridiculous in his outfit. Other people, like the evil guy from "Liar Game", can look like he is cosplaying, but not Osamu Mukai. He nailed it in that white suit and white wig.

In summary, this dorama failed big as a comedy. Not a comedy, more like a parody but again, failed as one. It is more dramatic, but the silly kind of drama. The villains were cartoonish, the jokes were lame, there was zero chemistry between the actors, the acting was very bad. The dorama was saved by Osaku Mukai and the presentation of the show + the song. Oh, and for fans of the movie "BECK" almost all the gang is here, except the drummer and the rapper XD

Hana Kimi Special
May 3, 2017
I think this may be the best school-based Japanese dorama ever. It is really funny! It has a little bit of everything: comedy (a lot), friendship, silliness (a lot), craziness (a lot), romance, gay love... I am reviewing the SP only, but I will comment on the dorama as well. The script, director or whatever, made all the things that were MEH in 11 episodes turn into NICE! in the SP. Like:

- the romance. For 11 episodes it was so MEH. No chemistry between Sano and Mizuki. In fact, it was like he could not stand her (and he was right. She was too meddlesome). And who did not want Mizuki to end with Nakatsu? First time where the third one in the wheel is more appealing than the actual hero.

- less adults, more students. I disliked the nurse, especially because he was such a misogynist. He treated his ex-girlfriend like she was the pest. I hated his "blue" eyes, his hair, his character. Besides all the scenes that were Sano/Mizuki, I fast-forwarded the scenes with the creepy nurse the 2nd time I watched the dorama. But in the SP, his role is tiny! Yokattaaa And the SP was almost 100% about the boys and their silliness.

- Mizuki less focused in Sano. In the SP she realizes she loves her classmates and the school. It is not all about "Sano this, Sano that". It shows pieces of the 7th and 8 episodes, things that happened in between of what we watched it. She spends more time with the boys, creating more memories with them. So it is not untrue when, at the end, she gives her speech.

I love the SP, I like the OP song a lot (**Ikenai taiyou.. nanananana**), I love the actors, I like the OST in general, the setting, the clothes, the competitions and festivals... At the end, 1 hour and 45 minutes felt too short. One of the best shoujos doramas I've seen.

GTO
Apr 26, 2017
Another oldie, a true classic. I can't say it is my favorite, nor that I understand why it is the most popular J-drama ever, but I enjoyed watching it, and I met good actors that I have never seen before (except for a couple of them).

The guy who played Onizuka was the best. He WAS Onizuka. He looked silly but cool; nice but a bit tough; handsome but naive. I love his bickering with Fuyutsuki-sensei; they had a good chemistry (and then I read that they are actually married in real life!). I would have never thought that it would be romantic to get the condom of a virgin guy (condom that he is keeping for years) as a form of love confession. But it was!

In many ways it is similar to Gokusen, like:

- both are naive, virgin teachers that get tough when the situation requires it;
- both are pretty much rejected by their students at first; but eventually they win their hearts thru a series of events;
- both of them have the head-teacher after their positions... meaning, the head-teacher is trying by any means to get this new teacher fired;
- both are very charismatic and very much loved by their friends.

But also, they have their differences:

- Gokusen is more of a familiar-drama; while GTO is more mature. There is a student in underwear, trying to seduce him; there is an attempt of rape and gang-rape (probably); the students in GTO are MUCH MORE angsty. Why, in Gokusen the boys never said "I want to kill Yankumi", while Miyabi and Murai said this several times. Guh, these guys took their "hate" too personal, one of the things I did not like too much in GTO.

- On the other hand, what I liked more in GTO was the way Onizuka won their students over. It was less forced than Yankumi (who, hello, once she worked extra-time to get money for her student who owed a lot of money!). Onizuka was not over-the-top in his actions; he was subtle and once or twice he fooled around, but it was funny and made the situation less dramatic.

Taking aside the education (which is the most important thing for a student, but that is irrelevant in a dorama), GTO was fun to watch. Definitely a must.

Special mention: to the handsome police friend of Onizuka, played by the handsome Fujiki Naohito. He was so young here and so pretty. He is definitely like the wine: the older, the better. His role is not as tiny as I thought: he was a good friend but also a pervert (with that angel face!).

2nd special mention: we have a very young, tiny Oguri Shun. One of the first students to surrender under Onizuka's spell. He was being bullied (the worst kind) and it is funny because once he grows up, he will never again play bullied boys but tough guys. He looked like a 12-years-old boy, although I think he was around 15. But well, all his classmates were 20-years-old playing 16, so I guess that is why.

Family's Form
Apr 21, 2017
It is heartwarming, it is fresh, it has a lot of heart.

Story: (9/10) This dorama is about family, marriage, friendship, comradeship. It is like every "Romance" J-dorama I see it addresses the reluctance of the MC to get married, and people around them pressure them to get married. I know that Japan has a low rate of marriage/low-birth, but sometimes this kind of stories can get a little preachy. Anyway, like in "Kekkon Dekinai Otoko", this is the story of a mature guy, Daisuke, who is pleased to live alone and doesn't want to get married at all. He is completely happy living in his own "castle" (as he likes to call his apartment, who looks gorgeous, btw) and drink his beer. Alone. That changes once his father comes with Kota, Daisuke's new younger brother, and imposes his presence in his "castle". Also, around the same time, Daisuke befriends his neighbor, Hanako.

Daisuke is not as anti-social nor awkward as Kuwano, but he is grumpy. It is not hard to sympathize with him. I would also be grumpy if my precious space was invaded by people. But those people are all kind, with a good heart, although there are also some that can be a bit bothersome (like all-happy-girl Tanaka-san).

Hanako deals with her own problems, her mother also comes and invades her personal space. And her ex-husband wants to get back together. Like many other J-dramas (a thing I absolutely love) is that the ex-husband is a good man, not evil nor bothersome. Same with Daisuke's ex-girlfriend.

All characters that become a friend sort of, thanks to Daisuke's dad, was likeable. Specially Sasaki-san (I adore this chubby actor, he is so funny!). This dorama is mostly about that, how Daisuke's dad comes back to his son's life and changes everyone that is around Daisuke.

For people looking for a romance: I wouldn't call this a romance, I prefer to call it a deep bond, a true friendship, a camaraderie.

Cast: (8/10) Ueno Juri was excellent, I was moved by her tears. Not a moment I thought "oh, this is Nodame". Too bad her hair was so awful, but she is so pretty I could ignore it sometimes. Same with Shingo. I didn't see Shingo, but Daisuke. They were both excellent. And of course, Sasaki-san was also terrific. Many people praise Daisuke's dad but I am not a fan of this actor. I think he has many mannerisms that annoyed me. He is always saying: "ano sa", "ano ne". Mizuhara Kiko was terrible as Tanaka'san, she pouts so much it is annoying. Kota, the younger brother, was pitiful, but I dislike when pitiful characters don't talk and go there with their head down. On the good side, I think that he looked like a Japanese Harry Potter. And also a bit like Yuriko Yoshitaka.

We have 4 mini-reunions in this show: Ouran High School Host Club (Haruhi and Honeysempai, and coincidence! he was called "Haru"); Tiger and Dragon (Shishou and Jumptei Jump); Soredemo, Ikite Yuku (mother of the killer, brother of the killed one), and Shingo and Arisa.

{Edit: there is a guy who played the personal trainer of Hanako at the gym. For days I was "who was that guy?". He isn't in any of the cast lists. Then I remembered. He was one of the butlers of Mei-chan no Shitsuji.}

Music: (9/10) I love the music "Unpredictable Story", bye Ellie. There are 2 versions, one slow and one faster. I think I prefer the slow one but even so,both are beautiful. Currently in my playlist.

Rewatch value: (9/10) this is one of those dramas that can be recommended to anyone. I don't think there would be a person, male or female, who wouldn't like this. It is easy to watch, it is charming, it is not slow, it is real.

My SO Has Got Depression
Apr 21, 2017
The movie is about depression, but it is not a depressing movie at all. In fact, it is rather cute, with all the little drawings (Haruko is a mangaka, and her drawings are so nice). Her diary, about her husband depression, was adorable. But it is not only the drawings, but the support Mikio gets from his wife and his in-laws that was nice. It is not easy to have someone depressed in your home, but Haruko tried her best to support her husband.

I learned a couple of things about depression, so this movie is not only heart-warming but also informative. And touching, in a couple of scenes. The filmography was great, their little home was cozy and outside, with the Sakura trees, was so nice.

Masato Sakai has such a dorky face, so this suit him perfectly. The movie does not have a beginning nor an ending, which is something that I have found mostly in J-doramas and movies. Which I like, because not everything has to have a beginning and/or an end. Also, although it is a 2-hour movie long, it is never dragging nor slow.

Japan is one of the country with the highest amount of suicides. I've read that it is mostly because of work, which is the main reason why Mikio is depressed. The routine, his work-environment, having to take the train everyday, all squeeze like sardines are enough motives. At least he has his pretty, supportive wife, who is there for him "in health and sickness".

I wonder if this was based on real life...

Kounodori
Apr 21, 2017
OMG I adored the manga. I cried, I laughed, I was constantly moved by the stories. So I knew that I was going to like the dorama; it was impossible that they made a crappy adaptation. Still, I did not expect to loved it!

Story: 10/10

This is a very realistic manga/live action, about obstetricians and midwives and mothers and new-born babies. About the miracle of life and the sadness of death and being an orphan. It is an episodic drama, where we meet mothers-to-be in every episode. Some of them have their HEA with their babies, some of them doesn't, which was very sad. So sad to make the audience cry. All episodes were excellent, but there is one that was special, and that is Episode 5. I cried like a baby. Not only it is about a teenager mom who decides to give her baby in adoption, but it is also about Kounodori-sensei and his story, how he was separated from his first mama in the orphanage. My, the little boy being taken away while shouting his mama's name... just remembering about it makes me cry. Kounodori-sensei tells to a mother in an episode that life as an orphan has it ups and downs, and that episode made me see the downs... poor boys, all alone in the world, having a caretaker for all of them (when all they need is the love of a mother) and then being separated to go to another orphanage again. At least Dr. Kounodori did have 2 wonderful mamas, but still, his past was truly moving. And then, the teenager girl was such a good actress! It was like she was truly having a birth, and it was like she was truly giving up her baby. It was very sad, but at the same time, realistic (in the manga, her story has a HEA)

And the last case, with the little boy Naoto-kun having an extra chromosome (it was Trisomy 16 maybe?). OMG, I loved that little guy, I wanted to go in there and hug him. Poor baby, and his parents did not want him at first. It was sad seeing him, because I am sure in real life the little baby really had this syndrome. One of the other positive things about this drama is that they truly have premature babies, babies with problems, newborn babies, so it made everything more real.

Acting/Cast: 10/10

This is one of the few dramas that I watch for the story instead of the cast. I only knew a couple of the actors. Like Ayano Go, who I dislike. Or used to, because after this dorama, I can't see him as a douche anymore. Because he has the face of a criminal (sorry!) but in this dorama, he was always so calm, and nice, and such a good doctor, and no overacting at all, I ended up liking him. I thought at first that anyone could have played the doctor, why it had to be him? But he was so good I can't complain anymore. His friends, Dr. Shinomiya (Hoshino Gen) who was a blank-face guy at first, but who I liked so much by the end (his story was also kind of pathetic, and very sad) and Yoshida Yo, who looked so much like manga-Komatsu (except that the actress was taller). The 2 young actors, Matsuoka Mayu and Sakaguchi Kentaro, were adorable, although comparing to the other actors, they did overreact a couple of times. But all in all, I loved the cast, and also the guest stars. I mean, all the mothers when they cried looked so real! They were all marvelous, although the teenager mother could be my favorite. And the mother whose baby died because of the no-brain. Her case was also so sad :(

Oguri Shun, who is everywhere, has a role for about half of the drama. His daughter has some scenes in the last episode, and she is so cute! She looks so much like her parents. First it was "oh, the image of Oguri Shun!", but then, "oh, she looks so much like her mother!".

Music: 9/10

The music was nice and sweet, and the ending song was good, but it did not leave a big impact on me, as the musics in dorama I really love do. Some of the music the doctor plays at the piano were good and tender.

Rewatch value: 10/10

I would totally rewatch this! Nice story (never slow, never overdramatic, never "preachy" as some people like to say over doramas), nice cast (main and supportive), what is not to love? I would recommend this to anyone really, even to people who don't watch J-dorama. I wish I could find other one like this: human stories, real stories, with likeable characters and great acting.

Tokyo Tarareba Musume
May 26, 2017
I wanted to drop this dorama several times. But I persisted. Besides the cast, the other reason was because I like "Kuragehime" which is a manga written by the same author from this drama. Alas, this one is sooo frustrating.

I realize that many rom-com dramas have kinda the same plot, which is: marriage. Dramas that I loved, like Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu (Married as a Job) or Kazoku no Katachi, or the classic Kekkon Dekinai Otoko. But this one was so exhausting! The girls think and talk about men only, and they have the worst taste in them. Not only one of them, Kaori (Eikura Nana) is the Other Woman of her ex-boyfriend (who proclaims he loves both of them) but also Koyuki (Oshima Yuko) is the mistress of a married man. I thought Koyuki would have been the most sensible one in the trio, but this tells you that you can judge by the cover.

The most bearable one of the trio was Rinko, played by Yoshitaka Yuriko. At least she has different boyfriends to find out what she really wants. But the final episode made me hate her, grrrr. What a stupid girl, but I guess this kind of decision is expected in a tv show. Good, goofy guys never win in cinema/tv :((

I liked Sakaguchi Kento (KEY-san or Kinpatsu), but unfortunately, in this drama, his character was insufferable. Why did he have to be so meddlesome? Why did he have to be patronizing the girls, who just wanted to have fun? Why was he always judging the girls? He was also a "what-if" guy, and I didn't care about his past and his wife, he was the worst and I hated him. And his stupid hair.

I can't believe that with such a colorful cast, the drama was so mediocre. The girls were likable as friends (as women, they were the worst, and the most childish. Make up your mind, girls! And stop acting so immaturely!). There was a good chemistry between them. I liked Oshima Yuko, first time I see her acting. Eikura Nana was ok, I guess, always dull, poor girl. She is so pretty though, and after reading she was pregnant in real life, I couldn't help noticing her bump (and in the final episodes, she has the habit to touch her belly). Yoshitaka... i never liked her, to be honest. As an actress, she is ok, but in real life she is insufferable, thinking she is sooo open-minded and fun. BLEH.

The guys, though... Why in the world Suzuki Ryohei and Sakaguchi Kento were in this messy drama! Although it was cute to see them reunited, after "Ore Monogatari" (My Love Story!)... but that's another story... How in the world Tanaka Kei agreed to played the role of a married man who has an affair!

The final episode... omg, so bad. Awful. Kaori didn't learn her lesson, and Rinko makes the stupidest decision ever. I think the first part was a bit good, since any 30-year-old single woman can relate to the girls (being invited to weddings and still being single, etc). Oh, and another con: at first it was cute, but then it got on my nerves: the stupids talking-vegetable. So lame!

What redeems this crappy show? The setting: beautiful, gorgeous Tokyo. The clothes: very Japanese-like. The fashion: I paid extra attention to the nails (and currently, I am painting my own nails more or less like Kaori and Rinko did). The ending song: a catchy song by Perfume. The opening song: cute and fun.

All the other: terrible. I don't have any doubt to remove this file from my computer, for good!

Beck
May 19, 2017
What can I say, I love this kind of movie. Where a group of losers form a solid friendship and success in whatever they want to accomplish, after a few struggles and when no one would have given them a chance.

I have to say that Hiro impressed me with his English accent. It was good and not awkward at all. His hair was a bit MEH; straight hair does not suit him and sometimes, he looked a bit like Michael Jackson. But he played his role very well; I thought sometimes he actually played the guitar (I don't know if he did or not).

Sato Takeru was OK I guess, in his role of Koyuki. The typical nice, naive boy from school, that is bullied (by no other than one of the "Crows" members!) and has basically, no interest in life. Until he meets this rocker and wants to learn to play guitar. I was more impressed with the bags under his eyes, to be honest. Such a young boy with that issue. He should have gained more weight (he was too thin when he was younger).

Osamu Mukai does well whatever he plays. Although I may prefer him in this kind of role, more tough. I did not like his bleached hair at first, but after a few minutes, I was OK with it. He did very well his role as a bassist; not too many lines but his presence was enough for me. Second best in the cast.

Kiritani Kenta was the best actor for me in this movie, hands down. I liked his rap, his crazy hairdo, and that scene where he fights against the bullies. He has such a funny face.

At least the female role in the movie, in the hands of Kutsuna Shiori, made sense (unlike in Crows :P). Her English was good, and I can't say anything bad about her acting. The transition from English to Japanese and vice-versa was well accomplished, and I liked when she was frustrated and yelled in English.

I also liked Sakurai-kun, new student at school and Koyuki's new friend. He had a good chemistry with the band, and looked to kind.

There is a good soundtrack, my favorite the one at the end ("Don't look back in anger"). There are some negative reviews about Koyuki not actually singing in the entire movie, but it did make sense to me, and I like that we only need to see people's expression to know he has a marvelous voice. Since the movie is based on a manga, and it is very hard to please people regarding something delicate as A VOICE, it was good they made it this way.

My only complain would be the length of the movie (2 hours and a half). It never drags nor it is never boring, but it is long.

Nobunaga Concerto
May 15, 2017
Well, that was a disappointment. This dorama had everything to be a success, but it failed. I was so excited to watch it... Not that it doesn't have good things. But it is like all good things have a counteract.

- Good cast: many good actors (Yamada Takayuki, Osamu Mukai, Shibasaki Kou), many popular actors (Fujiki Naohito, Mizuhara Kiko, Maeda Atsuko), good guest actors (Namase Katsuhisa, Nishida Toshiyuki) BUT, to me, only 3 were exceptionally good. They were Kaho, Osamu Mukai and Takahashi Issei. I may have cried a little bit with Kaho and Issei, their roles were touching and they were so good, with such a natural acting. I can't say the same for Oguri Shun as Saburo... he can't play a goofy guy without seem pathetic. It was like he was trying too hard. There was no chemistry between him and his wife; it was like they were more siblings like a married couple. Yamada Takayuki was too creepy (creepy smile, creepy role and creepy stalking). There were a lot of shouting; "donno!" this, "donno!" that; the guy who played Mori was laughably bad.

- Beautiful outfits, with a nice fabric and catching colors. BUT, they were hardly historical costumes. They were too modern. WTH with Nobunaga and his outfits that resembled pajamas? If I am correct, the dorama takes a span of at least 6-7 years (at the beginning Nobunaga's sister gets married and at the end, she has 3 daughters). Saburo goes to the Warring States period with a pair of grey socks. And by the end of the dorama, he still has the same pair? Because in no way he kept at least half a dozen of the same socks in his bag. He goes with a white hoodie, and in the 2nd episode he has ANOTHER white hoodie. I get that he has to have some outfits that make him HIM, a person from another time, but to have his clothes half in one fabric and half in another was too much...

- It has it touching moments, like the one with Oyuki and Ichi and her husband, BUT there were many corny scenes as well. I hate when the dorama shows the audience how nice and kind a person is, trying to sell us his/her good image just to kill that character later. Not that I liked the guy, he was so pathetic. I couldn't even watch his face, and every time he shouted "Donno!!", my, how annoying. His son was another pathetic character.

- I like time travel stories, BUT, it was never explained WHY or HOW Saburo traveled in time. And what about the others? And what happens in the present day? I guess I am comparing it to JIN, where all was well explained.

- I liked that Saburo, with his fresh personality, made his retainers to love him, BUT it was also kind of ridiculous and far from believable how he escaped several dangerous situations, how no one wondered about his clothes or weird behavior.

- Good OST, there was one sweet, quiet one. I liked the opening sequence + the opening song (it was like adventurous, rockish) and the ending song is one of Mr Children, whom I know now from Orange Days. It was a good song, BUT there was one soundtrack that didn't suit the story at all and it was used several times when it wasn't supposed to be used. Like, it was a serious scene but the OST was like a fun one.

- I did not like the end. Besides, from being an annoyed Nobunaga's loyal retainer ("You are not the real Nobunaga, go away please") he suddenly decides that "please, stay with us donno". Huh? Make up your mind Tsune-chan. I hate that I won't see a likable character anymore in the movie, and that a hateful one will still be there with that creepy smile.

I don't know, many things would have been OK if this was a comedy, but it wasn't. And it wasn't a JIN either.