• Last Online: 50 minutes ago

YueofBlueGables

YueofBlueGables

Boku dake ga Inai Machi
Apr 29, 2019
I've only read the first volume of the manga and have not watched the anime nor the movie, so I can't compare. This series was really good! I was hooked from the very beginning (I did not even read the plot beforehand, so I didn't know what it was all about and had many surprises here and there). The pace of the story was very well done: the series is just 25min long -or less- and in spite of being too short, it was never rush and I've never felt lost in regards to the plot. I think everything was well explained. I do think that the last 3 episodes were not as good as the first 9... I think that what Fujinuma experiences later, starting ep08 (or was it 9?) made the story less exciting as what he lived in the first 7 episodes.

The acting was excellent, especially from the children. And I liked Furukawa's voice in off, it was calm but not bored. There was even one scene where I was moved by young Satoru's tears... I am amazed this boy, Uchikawa Reo, has not a longer filmography! Apparently he was also Ciel Phantomhive in a couple of musicals that I have yet to see (booo, there are no more subbed musicals since the 3rd one...).

This is a mystery-suspense story where family and friends play a big role. Both were important for our main characters. I am grateful this dorama is on Netflix... while I was watching this, I searched for reviews (with no spoilers) and I am surprised there are so many! And all of them positive reviews. I am not used to read so many reviews of a Japanese dorama... our fandom is mostly quiet and not very vocal.

Recommended. I'll start watching the anime tonight, which I've read is not as good as this live action.

Totto TV
Mar 25, 2019

I felt like I was watching an Asadora, only much much shorter (7 episodes of 25minutes long approx). There were times where it was lively and uplifting, and others where it was sad. As expected, since this is a semi-biography of Tetsuko, who has lived forever and it is one of the most popular TV personality in Japan. Since she has been for many, many years, she has met numerous people and many have died; friends, colleagues... so it was expected to be sad.

This is the kind of role I love to see for Mitsushima Hikari. Of course she is beyond amazing in sad roles like "Mother" and "Soredemo..." but I prefer to watch her in quirky, lively roles, like this one. I don't want to see her cry anymore :(

There are many cameos, of actors who I knew beforehand had a guest role (Ryo, which makes it a mini-reunion from "Gomen Seishun") and others who were a completely surprise (Daichi! and Matsuda, which makes it a mini-reunion from "Quartet").

Nov 10, 2018
My favorite duo in the whole Dramaland. The times I laughed in this movie XD it was an excellent movie. The mystery was good, the chemistry was good, the cast was good, the jokes were back.

Recurring jokes I'll never get tired of watching:

- flat-chested Yamada and big-penis Ueda
- Yabe and his wig
- Ueda and his big ego (including all his books, doll and his claims of knowing it all)
- Ueda and martial arts
- Ueda proposing that each one of them, both he and Yamada, tell the other something meaningful when their lives are threatened.
- Ueda calling "mother" to Yamada's mother
- Yamada and her magic tricks
- Ueda and his silly tricks XD
- Yamada and her rent debts
- Ueda and Yamada together <3 my favorite!

Waaa I love them. They are extremely funny (Abe Hiroshi is gold in comedy and he has -had- the best chemistry with Nakama Yukie) and the support characters were likeable. A MUST for Trick's fans. I think this movie can be seen as a stand-alone but I'll always recommend to watch Season 1 first, just because it is one of the best dramas I've ever seen.

This movie does not have any review nor comment here in MDL which to me was a signal that it is an awesome movie. I think the dramas and movies with the least reviews are the best XD

Amachan
Jul 30, 2018
To say that I loved Amachan would be an understatement. I think it is one of the cutest, most heartwarming, most charming and most uplifting dramas I've ever watched. The heroine, Amano Aki, is perfectly portrayed by Nounen Rena. I loved her and could understand why she was so much loved by everyone (in the drama and in RL). I am not sure if it was an awesome way to start watching Asadoras, because this one was top-notch, but I also fear that no one will come close to Amachan. The cast, the cute little intro song, the setting.. everything.

This drama is about loving your family, friends and little town. Aki's family was always there for her, not only her family by blood, but all the people in Kitasanriku. Aki's friendship with Yui-chan made me teary-eyed many times, and I loved the relationship between Suzuka-san and Haruko. Truly, Kudo Kankuro is a genius when it comes to female characters and female relationship. I don't see the Idol world as negative as I used to... these lovely girls just wanted to make people happy. I was so happy seeing the director so proud of his cast/drama in the extra episode; he really loved "Amachan"!

The lenght also kinda scared me at first... but when I was around Ep. 50 I was like, "I wish this was longer". I kept watching it anywhere where I had a little time off... on the bus, waiting my meals, etc. It is perfect to upload a couple of episodes on the cellphone.

I am currently suffering withdrawal symptoms... I loved it!

Ossan's Love
Jun 5, 2018
Yesterday night, after finishing the drama, I couldn't sleep because my mind refused to calm down. I wrote an entire essay -mentally- about this drama. I'll try to calm down before ranting. But all I am going to say for now is...

SPOILERS

Up till the first 35minutes or so of ep06 it was so good... funny and a bit angsty. The last 3 minutes of ep06 and almost all ep07 was SO FRUSTRATING. I even disliked Haruta :(

I mean, THIS Haruta, and THIS Chief, and maybe Maki. But Movie Haruta was gold, Movie Chief was more funny and Movie Hase was perfect.

My rant: https://sunakoyue.livejournal.com/48906.html

Boku no Yabai Tsuma
May 4, 2018
WOW, I enjoyed every minute of this drama. I loved it! It is true that it is similar in some ways to "Gone Girl": wife fakes her kidnapping, husband is a cheater who hates his wife. And that's it; there is where similarities end. This wife is crazy but not a psychopath; this cheater husband, besides being a cheater, is quite charming. There are feelings involved, and also money -a big part-, and surprisingly, there is also humor. I laughed many times, mainly because of Kouhei, the husband, played excellently by Ito Hideaki. His expressions of terror whenever he was with this wife were priceless XD I loved how afraid he was of everything; he really was naive and silly. His wife had a great time playing with him XD

Kimura Yukino as the wife was a-m-a-z-i-n-g. I don't think I'll be able to see her differently from the crazy, manipulative, lady-like, composed and lovely Maria-san. So beautiful too (her smile!). Actually, this couple was gorgeous.

And yay! Police here is smart and know how to do their jobs. I hate to watch dramas where the police is portrayed as useless and stupid. The detectives/cops connected the dots, suspected of everyone and MOVED in order to get to the truth. Kudos!

The mistress (Aibu Saki) is at least quite smart and not a nasty woman. To be honest, the only character I didn't like was the neighbor Kujirai Yuki, not sure if it was because she was so pathetic or I just didn't like how she was portrayed by the actress.

Every episode was a surprise. I couldn't predict any twist. Maria is the most likeable villain I've seen in a drama. I loved it from beginning to end. Actually, the end was genius XD

The Queen's Classroom
Jul 7, 2017
Well, well, well.... To me this was the best school drama out there. Yes, better than Gokusen, than Dragon Sakura, better than GTO. We have a competent teacher (female counterpart of Abe Hiroshi) and who at the same time, is always there for her students (like Yankumi and Oniizuka). Why it tops the others: this teacher is ZERO cheesiness. This teacher is severe and maybe lacks warm, but even her colleagues can see that she is a good teacher. Her colleagues are responsible and not idiotic. And the top on the cherry: her students are middle school children, instead of angsty teenagers. And in spite of being younger, this is the least childish school drama I've seen. It is really a very unpredictable dorama, which also depicts the education and consecuently, professional life, of the Japanese people. Maya may be harsh, but her methods of teaching is what at least I expect from a teacher: severity, a teacher who is there to guide her students, not to be friends with them.

There were many heartwarming moments in this dorama. It may look like it is going to be a dark story.. and it was sometimes, but only a little. Mostly of how it was filmed. I love the direction of this dorama. The change of lights whenever Maya was near. I love how it was filmed from below to make her seem more impressive, scarier.

Finally! I watched Amami Yuki in a dorama. She was imposing, elegant, lady-like, yet terrifying. Always mysterious, never cartoonish. The female version of Snape. Is she a bully? Is she a good person? On the other hand, Shida Mirai was by far the best child actor. Her tears were so good. Her cute face so adorable. I believed her character, and I never felt she was acting. It was like she was Kazumi, with that silly yet cute "tee-hee" expression. The other child actress that was very good was the one who played Shindo-san. Looked like an anime-character too. And maybe the top student, Nishikawa, was also good. All the other children were ok, some of them even MEH. Kaho was excellent as the older sister, as always. Made me cry a little bit with all her love for her sister. I love her relationship with Kazumi. A protective teenager of her little sister? Who was always there for her. I think I've never seen this kind of normal, yet heartwarming sibling relationship in a dorama yet.

The ED sequence was so good, I always watched it with a smile on my face. Amami Yuki moves so elegantly, she looked like a 90's Pop Princess.

Itazura na Kiss - Love in Tokyo
Jun 21, 2017
If I had to choose one color to describe this dorama, it would be PINK.

If I had to choose a drink, it would be HOT CHOCOLATE (warm and sweet).

If I had to choose something edible, it would be COTTON CANDY (fluffy).

I had a smile during all the first 12 episodes, it is that cute. The first 12 episodes were the cutest thing I've ever watched. I disagree with people saying that Naoki was an ass (ok he was, but he wasn't harmful, unlike **coughHyuugafromRMPWandDomyoujifromHYDcough**) and Kotoko certainly wasn't stupid nor stalker, just a teenager in love (if she was a stalker, I think me and hundreds of girls were/are stalkers in HS).

The love triangles that happen throughout the story were well done and not annoying at all, since nothing happens. Kin-chan is the sweetest second lead character I've seen so far, and it was hard not to root for him. But since Kotoko was my favorite character, and everything that made her happy was Naoki, I just had to root for Irie-kun, even if it was hard to do. Like in the final 4 episodes,which were by far my least favorite episodes and the reason I downgraded my rating.

I absolutely ADORED Miki Honoka as Kotoko. Any other actress would have made the character a silly, pathetic one. But thanks to Honoka, Kotoko is the most adorable heroine I may have seen in a dorama. So cute, so bubbly, so charming, so charismatic. Her expressions were so funny, so adorable. Her different hairstyles, her imperfect eyebrows... everything about her scream KAWAII.

Furukawa was good as well, since he didn't have to show much in his expressions, but my, he showed so much in his eyes. I only wished he wasn't that skinny, because he had the perfect height, and of course, a perfect English accent.

The only actor who wasn't so good was Sudo-sempai. He overacted too much, like an anime character. Like Oscar from Hana Kimi, only that in this dorama it looked ridiculous. Naoki's mother overacted a lot as well, but it suited the moment.

I LOVED the OP song and opening sequence. So cute.

As soon as I finished it, I wanted to watch it all over again. I am missing them so much, and it has only been a couple of days! No doubt I'll re-watch this. Very recommended **hearts**

Kamoshirenai Joyutachi
Jun 5, 2017
Fun and unpredictable. It was a perfect choice to watch it after a movie full of testosterone. It is a light and short movie, each actress narrates her story, what would have been their successful movies and doramas IF she passed X audition (Maki Yoko and Mizukawa Asumi) or called when some agent scouted her in Harajuku (Takeuchi Yuko). All three of them meet and form some sort of bond, two of them because of being an actress, two of them because of work, two of them because of a guy.

I wouldn't call it a comedy where you would laugh out loud, but it was entertaining, very slice-of-life-ish. I wonder if Maki Yoko can truly draw? Her work was very charming. And I also think she was the best in the trio, which surprised me since I thought she was too stoic in other works I've seen before. And this is unrelated to the movie, but I liked her voice as well.

The ending was so funny! I mean the outcome of Mizukawa XD

Date - Koi to wa Donna Mono Kashira
May 31, 2017
Story: (8.5/10) This is not a story about romance, but about love.

Why? Because there is no awkwardness, no blushings, no exciting moments where one of them is thinking "does he/she likes me?". It is about honest love, where both characters get to know each other, like to quarrel and pretend they don't like each other, until someone else point the truth to both of them.

I honestly didn't think they suited each other: Yuriko is too robotic, methodical, and doesn't know when and how to read the mood. On the other hand, Takumi is a nervous hikkikimori. Do I need to add more? The last two people who want to find love, or expect for someone to love them. It took me a while to warm towards them, more specifically, it was episode 6 that changed everything. I find that episode the best, since it moved me to tears. I guess everything that relates to parents is poignant for me. But not only that, it is the episode where both Yuriko and Taniguchi start to change for better. By the end, the changes may not be OH WOW, WHAT A CHANGE, but they were significant, enough to make them more likable but still staying true to their essence.

Some situations were so funny. Like Taniguchi cooking for the family.

Cast: (9/10) Anne and Hasegawa Hiroki were perfect in their roles. I could actually see Anne as a robotic girl, and Hasegawa as a neurotic hikkikomori. I wish their respective other love interests weren't so attractive. How in the world someone as punk and pretty as Kaori (Kuninaka Ryoko) could hold a 15-year crush on someone like Takumi? How in the world someone as attractive and nice guy as Washio-kun (Nakajima Yuta) could fall in love with such a strange girl? These two may have been the nicest love interest both weirdos could find, but I couldn't root for them at all. And ok, Washio-kun may be an "ii-otoko" (as Takumi likes to say) but he was also kind of silly and also a wimp. What the need to cry at the end?? It was too much... not even Kaori cried.

This is the 3rd CURRENT drama I am watching with Matsushige Yutaka, he is like an Uncle to me XD Everything he does, he does it well. He does some funniest expressions without being too slapstick.

Takumi's mother (Fubuki Jun) is the Dorama Mother... I guess because she is perfect for that role.

I found Yuriko's mother (Wakui Emi) a bit annoying in the first couple of episodes, but later on I liked her role. I love that not only Yuriko likes to talk to her, but her father as well. Isn't that cute? She is dead, btw. She plays a ghost-like.

Music: (5/10) OMG, the OP song was ridiculous, but guess what, it totally match the dorama. It is silly and olfashioned, just like the characters of Yabushita and Taniguchi. The ED song was better, though.

I absolutely love that this was set in Yokohama, such a beautiful city! In Christmas time it looks sooo pretty. BEAUTIFUL.

The ending was good, but for anyone who wants more -like me-, the SP is a must.

JIN 2
May 26, 2017
I wish I could un-watch this so I could watch it again, but after crossing out some of my to-be-watched doramas in my list. I don't think I have ever or will ever seen a more wonderful dorama as this one. Everything was perfect (the cast -my, that cast!-, the story, the setting, the soundtrack).

**POSSBILE SPOILERS BELOW**

I don't feel like this was a 2nd season. It was pretty much like an extension of the 1st season, so it is kind of hard to rate them separately. Maybe the only and biggest difference is that in 2nd season, Jin-sensei is not struggling so much with medicine and it repercussions in history. Since the photography has vanished, and his actions don't affect Miki's life anymore, he doesn't have any worry about the "what will happen if...". He is happy living in Edo period, he is happy with the Jindo-you (?), he is happy being friends with Ryoma-san. If he can save Ryoma-san from his assassination, he will do it, without a doubt, no matter the consequences.

Only in that aspect I prefer the 1st season to the 2nd. JIN has more medical cases, there were more surgeries and wow, awesome scenes that looked, if not entirely realistic, very good to the point of make me feel boneless. I love how Jin-sensei was so much aware of every one of his actions and what would happen if he did XX thing. 2nd season is more about political issues than medical ones. While 1st season is about penicillin, 2nd season is about battles and revolutions.

There is also a stronger bromance between Jin-sensei and Ryoma-san. Talk about bromance! Because Ryoma-san's assassination is around the corner, Jin-sensei is thinking about his welfare almost all the time. The love triangle between Jin-sensei, Nokaze and Saki-san is almost non-existent. Nokaze finds out the truth about Jin-sensei and Miki, she meets a foreign guy and is married in an episode (out of nowhere). Nokaze encourages the love between Jin-sensei and Saki-san, despite loving him as well.

I've read some reviews where people complained about Saki-san rejecting him. To me it made sense. She did not know when or if he would disappear to go back to the future. She decided to be a good doctor first, which was her dream. On the other hand, I've never felt that Jin-sensei truly loved Saki-san. Cared for her, yes. Loved her as a friend, yes. Loved her as a lover, no. I wouldn't want Saki-san to have Jin-sensei' heart half-arsed. And in a way, it is good, because Jin loved Miki, but he also loved Saki.

Which leads to... isn't their love story almost the same as Inuyasha and Kagome? The love triangle Jin/Miki/Saki = Inuyasha/Kagome/Kikyo. Jin/Inuyasha cannot forget their first love (Miki/Kikyo) which I admire because that is what loyalty is about, but at the same time, I pity Saki/Kagome for loving this fool guy so much and for never been able to have their hearts at 100%.

I don't know yet how to feel about the final chapter. The romantic in me is screaming internally in despair. I have to admit I got a bit tearful (who wouldn't?). It was a touching scene, that part where Jin is reading the letter from the past. And also when he was reading these books and found the photographs of the doctors in Jindo-you. I also wanted to say "minna..." with tears in my eyes...

On the other hand, the practical me says that it couldn't have ended in any other way. It was good, it was convenient (the thing about Miki). It was a bittersweet ending (more bitter than sweet).

About the acting. Ayase Haruka is truly a wonderful actress. She has "the vein" that only exceptional actresses have (like Angie). When she is struggling with her feelings, or when she is suffering, "the vein" (on her forehead) appears. She can cry so nicely, and she can smile so angelically as well. It is impossible not to feel empathy with her.

While in season 1 the acting of Miki (Nokaze) impressed me, her role in 2nd season is less prominent and she pales somewhat with her previous acting. Although I admit that she was superb when her baby was born. I don't think in real life anyone would have endured such a painful experience but her tears and determination to have her baby made me remember the Nokaze I fell in love with in Season 1.

Other actress that impressed me was Saki's mother. This actress, Asou Yumi, has such the face of a mother who had to go through so many painful things in her life. She looked a bit tough, especially on her children but also always on the verge of tears. The episode where she was sick was excellent, and she deserved an award for her performance.

My favorite actor has to be, maybe again, Kiritani Kenta. He is so funny without being a comedy character. His accent -the way he lisps-, his bulging eyes when he is shocked. I also love his character, how much he was into medicine, as well as all the other fellows in the little clinic.

No doubt it is the best dorama I've seen so far. True, I have others I liked as much as this one (probably I love Nodame Cantabile a bit more) but in terms of quality, clothing, setting, story, acting, this is the best there is. The kind of show all people should watch. I don't think there will be one single person who wouldn't love this dorama. It has medicine, politic, good battles, a bit of romance, friendship, family matters, Japan history (not sure of the accuracy but overall I learned a lot).

Ouran High School Host Club The Movie
May 17, 2017
We need more! As much as I liked the movie, I think they lost precious time with the story of Michelle and her brother. Just when Haruhi realized her feelings for Tamaki! While Tamaki still didn't.... There are lots of silly CG (little hearts, blushed cheeks) that I enjoyed, just like in the dorama. And the settings are beautiful! Not only the elegant school, but Asakusa and other places in Tokyo. At least there wasn't a budget when they had to film this!

And a Korean-actor was cast, maybe to have a wider audience? The English he and Michelle speak was not bad, but it wasn't too good either. Which wouldn't have bothered me at all except that they talked in whispers! I had to come closer to the screen to understand at least half of it... and they were supposed to talk in English every day or so... ha! As if.

I loved the contest they have at school, it is one of my favorite plot to watch in a live-action. Kinda like HanaKimi, where there are several groups that compete against each other, in the silliest games! My favorite part of the movie! My least favorite: everything that was about Michelle and her brother. What a pain, it dragged so much sometimes. I wanted more Host Club, more Tamaki-Haruhi, not more about a girl with the most terrible hair (seriously, how could she comb that tangled mess??) and with a brother complex.

I wish the scriptwriter had chosen another arc instead of that... nevertheless, it was good to see the gang again XD

Ouran High School Host Club
May 17, 2017
I am happy to say that Shallowness Lost! Which was one of the reasons why it took me so long to watch this (the other one was, err, well, this is OHSHC, I was sure -and I was right- it was going to be ridiculous!). As much as I like Yusuke (not that much, but I like him) he did not look right to play Tamaki. And the twins! Uggh, they are all supposed to be ikemen and what! they are not. Turns out, the 3 of them proved me wrong!

I love Yusuke as Tamaki, he portrayed Tamaki so well. He was never stiff and I never thought he was overacting in a bad way, but in Tamaki's way. He was funny and charming, and yes, he looked silly most of the times, but that was the fun. I loved every time he was yelling "Haruhiiii!".

And the twins! OMG, they were excellent. Although I love the manga to death, I never truly liked the twins. They were too "melodramatic", and I was never a fan of their kind of fanservice (twin love incest or whatever). Worse, since I am "Tamaki Team" since chapter 1, I was never happy with the harem thing. BUT.... this dorama made me see a whole new point of view. I now understand more and accept why both of them are the way they are. And why both of them fall in love with Haruhi. At the end, they both became my 2nd favorite (which I did not have) and I admit I pitied them at the end. Poor guys :( but at least both of them love Tamaki as much as they love Haruhi, so it is not a big heartbreak.

Do I need to add that Daito was good as Kyoya? He was the perfect: handsome with an evil smile. I think that only once I thought that he needed to be taller, but otherwise, to me he was perfect (and he looked really good with glasses). Again, I never approved in the manga that Kyoya liked -romantically- Haruhi, but I liked the episode where he shows her that he could have attacked her if he wanted to. It was like seeing that scene from another light.

I've read somewhere that Kawaguchi Haruna (Haruhi) was too stiff as an actress. But to me, as Haruhi, she was perfect. I never cared about her wig; it looked good on her and I would have never guessed it was a wig, except in the first chapter when it was longer. She made good expressions when she was surprised, and whenever she smiled, she looked very cute. I am very satisfied with this Haruhi.

On the other hand, I can't say I am satisfied with Honey-sempai and Mori-sempai. Yes, the actor who played Honey-sempai looked the part, but while it works in anime and manga, it doesn't in real life. Instead of looking cute, he looked effeminate and, well, ridiculous. The CG when he hugged or jumped on someone, making him looked smaller was weird and kinda creepy. Thank God they did it only in the first couple of episodes. And really, a teenager carrying a stuffed bunny is awkward and not cute at all... As for Mori-sempai... the actor looked like him, but Mori-sempai should be a guy who either looks bored or just expression-less, not like a robot, like this actor did.

I was not really happy at first with making Nekozawa such an important character, but what can I say, I love Ryo! He is like one of my children (all Kyoryugers are) and I am just happy to watch him grow as an actor and have different roles from Kingu. And objectively, he did well as Nekozawa. Not only he looked like him, but I love how he portrayed him... it was like watching Undertaker from Kuroshitsuji, with that smile and black cape. I am so happy for him XD

The rating for this dorama was very low... it shows you that doramas with low rating can be really good! True, I wasn't a fan with the first couple of episodes, but when I was in Ep. 5 or so, I was loving it. It is true to the story, and I liked most actors in their roles. Highly recommended for OHSHC who aren't picky when it comes to looks! (Tamaki isn't blond; Honey-sempai isn't blond; Kyoya isn't tall, etc.)

Mother Game
May 17, 2017
This is a very light drama, not the dramatic one I had expected. It was very easy to watch, and thankfully, many problems were fixed almost in the same episode, so there was no dragging.

**Possible spoilers**

There may be a bit of bullying from the posh mothers' side, but it wasn't too much, just childish stuff like notes telling Kiko to go away. Nothing over-dramatic, and nothing that Kiko couldn't handle. In spite of being a single mother, she had at least her grandpa, plus her coworker. And later on, her ex. So this if far from similar to "Woman".

I liked Kimura Fumino as Kiko, she was strong and didn't overact. Never seemed pitiful, but resourceful. I think I liked Dan Rei as much (or much more) as Kimura Fumino. This actress was very lady-like, very soft-spoken. It is not hard to imagine her and her real-life husband together, they are very similar in that aspect.

The children were super cute, specially Haruto and Rika, but I can't say they were good. They overacted some times, specially Rika's crying. But I got to admit that I was tearful when Haruto made his speech of not being pitiful, with a huge smile. It was very tender.

I can't say that Kiko was perfect since her biggest flaw was her reluctance to let Haruto be with his father. But nevertheless, she was portrayed as The Heroine to the maximum, changing the life of these 4 women, who looked like they were going to Mean Mothers but turned out every one of them had a problem at home (hikkimori son, cheater husband, penniless, dictator mother-in-law). I dislike when in dramas the MC is preachy, always giving a 10-minute speech and everybody listening to her/him. This happens a lot in Mother Game. Yeah, ok Kiko-san, we get. You are perfect **eye-rolling**

Taking aside all the preach, it was engaging and somewhat relaxing. The male characters were either jerks or useless. The female were strong and never behave in a childish way (ok, except for the bullying). I mean, there were times where it would seem like the character would yell in despair, like when Satoko-san confronted her mother-in-law, but it was all very civilized.

Some of the conclusion of the stories were "and then?". So the evil mother-in-law only needed to be confronted ONCE to behave? Hmph (her son was so useless, what an a**-hole husband). And what about the Odadera's fate? The sensei (Seto Koji) was so MEH. Was he really in love with Kiko-san? What a way to show it, by being so reluctant to have working mothers in that school! I am glad of her answer.

A few complains maybe, but overall, it was easy and enjoyable to binge-watch it.

Gokusen
May 16, 2017
Gokusen is one of my favorite manga. I mean, literally. It is right up there, in the top 5. I have re-read it several times, especially the last volume. It is funny, romantic, silly, entertaining... When I finished it, I was glad that I had at least the anime and the dorama.

If the manga is a 10/10, the anime is 7/10. If the anime was not good enough, the dorama is even less.

What is good:

The actors. Nakama Yukie looks exactly as Yankumi, and when she needs to appear sweet, she does, but when she has to fight, she looks like a bad-ass. The actors have a lot of chemistry: among the students, between Yankumi and her students, between Yankumi and Shin... The best moments of the dorama were all the scenes where the guys were together. And some of them look so young! Oguri Shun, Matsumoto Jun.. even an unknown Matsuyama Kenichi (who barely opens his mouth).

What was bad:

It is like the scripwriter took only the characters from the manga and nothing else. Everything was different. It seems like a crime to change such a wonderful manga. What was changed:

- Fujiyama-sensei: she lacks personality in the dorama; she is a beauty and nothing else. And she is not even a friend to Yankumi; her closer friend is an invented nurse.
- Shinohara-sensei: in the dorama, he is a detective who is not even close to Yankumi. He is always right in the middle of every fight, festival, party, etc. It was like he was working for the school or something.
- The Ooedo clan: they were a merely comic background. And the Kumicho was just a therapist for Yankumi, always there to listen to his Granddaughter issues and to have sympathy for her problems. Kyo-san is non existent, and Tetsu is "in love" with Yankumi (WTH!).
- Yankumi wants to be a teacher and nothing else. She does not want to be the Kumicho and her Grandpa supports her decision (as if Yankumi would refuse her role!).
-Every student's story: Kuma and his dad; Uchi and his mom; Shin and "his sister"... everything was made up. Honestly, I did not care about Kuma and Uchi, but that special episode, where Shin tells Yankumi that he wouldn't go to college and instead, was going to South Africa! That was such a big crime I almost burst in tears. Since when Shin cares to be a missionary?! Shin, who only wanted to study law to be the lawyer of the Ooedo clan and be beside Yankumi forever.
- The fact that she was a Yakuza is barely important. It is only relevant for her language, nothing else.
- Yankumi: this is not the actress' fault, it was the script. She acted silly most of the times. People who have read the manga know she is somewhat childish and silly, but not all the times. She was also a bad-ass, temperamental. And dorama-Yankumi likes to give looong speeches, which were kind of MEH.

Although I have to admit I almost squeal like the Shinkumi fan I am when Shin reveals he is also a rival in the love for Yankumi =D

Ending song: "Feel the breeze" by V6. Catchy song that fits the dorama perfectly.