Strange how you describe the actress for FL Zhao JinMai. When people who watch her mention this as you say, I…
I mentioned in my previous message that my opinion of her is somewhat mixed. She doesn’t bother me, and she’s actually one of the actresses I’m keeping an eye on. What I’m about to say might sound strange, but her expression bothers me in the sense that her gaze always seems to reflect who she really is, rather than her characters. I sense something without depth, which makes it hard for me to connect with her—especially when it comes to love scenes. I never really pay attention to ratings; I focus more on my own feelings and experiences. Of course, I respect your opinion as well, which is valid too. She’s not on my list of 'bad actresses' ;)
Given what she experienced with ZX , she is proceeding cautiously with the ML which is understandable because…
Yes, when I watch this series, I can truly imagine it happening in real life, and I can even spot similar, ORDINARY characters, as I’ve seen in my own circle. The ML behaves with remarkable maturity… at least when it comes to advances toward the FL. In short, nothing to complain about there.
On a lighter note, one novelty I can point out is that—finally—the two leads are rich!! Ahhhh, we’ve escaped the eternal Cinderella trope!
Well, here’s a quick take on a few points. It’s a pleasant and soothing series to watch. The pacing is slow and calm, exactly in the style of so-called feel-good or ‘comfort’ dramas. It reminded me of Best Thing—although, to be honest, I couldn’t finish that one and dropped it around episode 15, even though I usually like the male lead actor.
The ML also resembles Zhang Linhe quite a lot, which probably explains the choice of the actress as well, since she has often acted alongside him. In short, these are ‘regenerative’ dramas in the sense that they take what already works, throw it into a shaker, and come up with a new cocktail that has the same familiar flavors.
In general, I tend to stay fairly detached from actors and actresses in order to judge their work as objectively as possible. Here, the female lead is not really to my taste—though she doesn’t bother me excessively either. I find her range quite limited: her eyes convey neither depth nor emotion, and that, on the other hand, really bothers me. I’ve noticed this in several of her works, except for her most recent one, "Our Generation", where she felt a bit more alive and I actually enjoyed her role.
Here, on paper, her character is very ‘positive’ and likeable, with nothing but good qualities.
As for the second lead, I’ve already shared my thoughts about him. On the other hand, I really like the brother; in my opinion, he’s the character who brings the most spark to an otherwise very bland series.
The ML, for his part, is solid in his role—very well-balanced. The relationship between the two characters is built in a very realistic way: it’s more of a chosen, rational kind of love on the FL’s side rather than something spontaneous and passionate. Why not? It’s an extremely realistic series, almost like a slice-of-life or reality-show, showing how people work—(in a rather ordinary way)—and how they fall in love,( just as ordinarily).
Second thought I honestly wonder what the purpose of this spineless secondary male character is—on top of that, he has a pitiful look and zero charisma.
P.S. I actually thought he looked way better with the ski helmet on. He was genuinely handsome, lol. At least his head was completely still / motionless for a good cause
Tell me if this is correct. The comments are confusing me, based on what I understood about ML. I thought that at the beginning, of course, he was harsh with FL, but he still loved her. And since the scene under the snow, where he confessed his feelings (and even before that), he stopped giving importance to the past and ‘turned the page on the resentment in his heart.’
The hospital scene then made him doubt: ‘What if it wasn’t her?’ So he wanted to clarify things with his friend, because he realized in the meantime that this girl would not behave like that. He then cleared everything up in episode .
He is therefore angry at himself: at the beginning, he treated her that way, and for two years he held resentment toward the wrong person—someone he actually had a love at first sight with.
So overall, I don’t think he was acting out of “revenge” up until the hospital scene. Tell me if I’m wrong
Of course it’s far too early to officially accept ML’s feelings, but FL has already had feelings for ML for quite a long time now. She has a genuine interest in him… and over time, this will deepen into something meaningful, respectful, and balanced. It’s also a good thing that ML spoke up now rather than later — he played the right card. This will unconsciously help FL turn the page definitively much faster, without hesitation.
I don't really get how you don't understand the romantic aspect of the show. Of course, they didn't like each…
First of all, I would like to say that just as the creator of an artistic work is free to propose their own vision, every viewer is equally free to perceive and interpret that vision through their own lens. These interpretations may diverge from one individual to another — and that is a good thing. There is never a single, absolute truth. This is simply my perspective, and I chose to share it.
Why share it instead of ignoring the series altogether? Because Speed and Love is, at its core, an ambitious project. It brings together star actors and a director whose work I genuinely appreciate — a combination that deserves attention and thoughtful consideration, at least to see what they are attempting to offer.
In this series, the narrative and artistic intentions remain deliberately blurred, leaving the audience to draw their own conclusions. When you told, “Obviously, they did not love each other as children,” I both agree and disagree — for several reasons. One example among others: the boy has kept the keychain for years, to the point that his friend assumes it must belong to someone significant in his life ( in romantic mood...) . Moreover, from the very first days of her return, the girl actively seeks a romantic intention on his part. These are subtle, yet telling elements that complicate a purely platonic reading of their past and new present.
S&L presents itself as an ambitious fresco, attempting to address a wide range of themes: racing, action, blended families, father–daughter relationships, romantic love, childhood, social circumstances, the role of the husband and father, fate itself. The question is not whether these themes are present — they clearly are — but whether the series truly succeeds in exploring them.
In my opinion, it does not. The primary reason is the near absence of narrative depth. Furthermore, the performances, while visually appealing, lack the necessary nuance for roles of such emotional complexity. In cases where the screenplay falls short, strong, layered acting can sometimes elevate the material — but that requires a high level of emotional maturity, which I personally did not find here. In that case, it would have been far more coherent to make it a mini-series entirely centered on their romantic attraction and emotional impulses.
As a result, the series remains largely superficial, resembling a highly polished romantic photoshoot between two beautiful stars — youthful idols with undeniable chemistry, framed in aesthetically pleasing imagery. This may resonate with many viewers, and that is perfectly valid. It simply did not resonate with me.
A)Negative criticism is argued, occasional, and respectful. It expresses an opinion without attacking the person.
B) Hate, on the other hand, is repetitive, emotional, and insulting, with no intention of dialogue. A hater closely follows a star’s activities solely to look for flaws or mistakes, engages in insults and public humiliation, and spreads rumors.
My revew is constructive and respectful toward the works and their creators.
However, if your disrespectful behavior continues, I will report these comments for violating basic standards of respect.
I do not owe you any justification for my rating. Civility is not optional in disagreement. I have expressed an opinion without insult; you have not. When dialogue turns into hostility, it usually reveals a lack of perspective rather than a lack of arguments. Time would be better spent cultivating one’s general and artistic culture than attacking others for theirs.
only on episode 5. so far, seems like she cares more about ML than her own dad? why isnt there any kind of interaction…
I read your comment, and before leaving the page :) one of the reasons, or rather my logic, finds it strange, is that the characterization feels utterly flawed. This girl refuses to accept her mother’s decisions (admittedly, she may have a point), yet she remains distant toward a woman who is genuinely kind to her - the second wife) . Then there’s the second woman, and her father, who—based on the limited and poorly developed depiction—comes across as considerate: he cooked for them, shared a passion for cars, and spent time with his children.
Yet this girl arrives, after several years, and stays at her father’s house as if it were entirely normal. She doesn’t even consider asking whether it’s convenient for his family. Then she behaves like a spoiled child toward the male lead: “make me tea, cook for me, I don’t like this, bring me that,” and so on. She claims she came “to help the boy”—but with what? Her voice of a four-year-old? Her actions are completely centered on her romantic interest, rather than taking the opportunity to get to know her sister, her family, or even offer help.
Moreover, the timeline is confusing. When did she first appear at nine? Did she reappear later? Was it instant love at first sight in the shower that resolved everything? A lifelong romance supposedly spanning ages nine to thirteen—excuse me—especially under such complex family circumstances, strains credibility. (Though, let’s imagine their story begins at the airport, for argument’s sake…)
In short, the narrative seems to prioritize romantic drama over consistent, believable character development, leaving the relationships and actions feeling forced and illogical.
— Okay. I killed Liu Qing For the plot.
It’s bold. It’s brilliant. It’s… necessary.
Producer (choking)
— WHAT?! Why him?!
He was good-looking!
This was a test role for him in a major series!
Director (calm, genius smile)
— It’s fine. We’ll clone him.
His twin brother.
Same face. Same stare. Same contract.
All together
— Approved !
On a lighter note, one novelty I can point out is that—finally—the two leads are rich!! Ahhhh, we’ve escaped the eternal Cinderella trope!
The ML also resembles Zhang Linhe quite a lot, which probably explains the choice of the actress as well, since she has often acted alongside him. In short, these are ‘regenerative’ dramas in the sense that they take what already works, throw it into a shaker, and come up with a new cocktail that has the same familiar flavors.
In general, I tend to stay fairly detached from actors and actresses in order to judge their work as objectively as possible. Here, the female lead is not really to my taste—though she doesn’t bother me excessively either. I find her range quite limited: her eyes convey neither depth nor emotion, and that, on the other hand, really bothers me. I’ve noticed this in several of her works, except for her most recent one, "Our Generation", where she felt a bit more alive and I actually enjoyed her role.
Here, on paper, her character is very ‘positive’ and likeable, with nothing but good qualities.
As for the second lead, I’ve already shared my thoughts about him. On the other hand, I really like the brother; in my opinion, he’s the character who brings the most spark to an otherwise very bland series.
The ML, for his part, is solid in his role—very well-balanced. The relationship between the two characters is built in a very realistic way: it’s more of a chosen, rational kind of love on the FL’s side rather than something spontaneous and passionate. Why not? It’s an extremely realistic series, almost like a slice-of-life or reality-show, showing how people work—(in a rather ordinary way)—and how they fall in love,( just as ordinarily).
P.S. I actually thought he looked way better with the ski helmet on. He was genuinely handsome, lol. At least his head was completely still / motionless for a good cause
Tell me if this is correct. The comments are confusing me, based on what I understood about ML. I thought that at the beginning, of course, he was harsh with FL, but he still loved her. And since the scene under the snow, where he confessed his feelings (and even before that), he stopped giving importance to the past and ‘turned the page on the resentment in his heart.’
The hospital scene then made him doubt: ‘What if it wasn’t her?’ So he wanted to clarify things with his friend, because he realized in the meantime that this girl would not behave like that. He then cleared everything up in episode .
He is therefore angry at himself: at the beginning, he treated her that way, and for two years he held resentment toward the wrong person—someone he actually had a love at first sight with.
So overall, I don’t think he was acting out of “revenge” up until the hospital scene. Tell me if I’m wrong
Why share it instead of ignoring the series altogether? Because Speed and Love is, at its core, an ambitious project. It brings together star actors and a director whose work I genuinely appreciate — a combination that deserves attention and thoughtful consideration, at least to see what they are attempting to offer.
In this series, the narrative and artistic intentions remain deliberately blurred, leaving the audience to draw their own conclusions. When you told, “Obviously, they did not love each other as children,” I both agree and disagree — for several reasons. One example among others: the boy has kept the keychain for years, to the point that his friend assumes it must belong to someone significant in his life ( in romantic mood...) . Moreover, from the very first days of her return, the girl actively seeks a romantic intention on his part. These are subtle, yet telling elements that complicate a purely platonic reading of their past and new present.
S&L presents itself as an ambitious fresco, attempting to address a wide range of themes: racing, action, blended families, father–daughter relationships, romantic love, childhood, social circumstances, the role of the husband and father, fate itself. The question is not whether these themes are present — they clearly are — but whether the series truly succeeds in exploring them.
In my opinion, it does not. The primary reason is the near absence of narrative depth. Furthermore, the performances, while visually appealing, lack the necessary nuance for roles of such emotional complexity. In cases where the screenplay falls short, strong, layered acting can sometimes elevate the material — but that requires a high level of emotional maturity, which I personally did not find here.
In that case, it would have been far more coherent to make it a mini-series entirely centered on their romantic attraction and emotional impulses.
As a result, the series remains largely superficial, resembling a highly polished romantic photoshoot between two beautiful stars — youthful idols with undeniable chemistry, framed in aesthetically pleasing imagery. This may resonate with many viewers, and that is perfectly valid. It simply did not resonate with me.
B) Hate, on the other hand, is repetitive, emotional, and insulting, with no intention of dialogue. A hater closely follows a star’s activities solely to look for flaws or mistakes, engages in insults and public humiliation, and spreads rumors.
My revew is constructive and respectful toward the works and their creators.
However, if your disrespectful behavior continues, I will report these comments for violating basic standards of respect.
one of the reasons, or rather my logic, finds it strange, is that the characterization feels utterly flawed. This girl refuses to accept her mother’s decisions (admittedly, she may have a point), yet she remains distant toward a woman who is genuinely kind to her - the second wife) . Then there’s the second woman, and her father, who—based on the limited and poorly developed depiction—comes across as considerate: he cooked for them, shared a passion for cars, and spent time with his children.
Yet this girl arrives, after several years, and stays at her father’s house as if it were entirely normal. She doesn’t even consider asking whether it’s convenient for his family. Then she behaves like a spoiled child toward the male lead: “make me tea, cook for me, I don’t like this, bring me that,” and so on. She claims she came “to help the boy”—but with what? Her voice of a four-year-old? Her actions are completely centered on her romantic interest, rather than taking the opportunity to get to know her sister, her family, or even offer help.
Moreover, the timeline is confusing. When did she first appear at nine? Did she reappear later? Was it instant love at first sight in the shower that resolved everything? A lifelong romance supposedly spanning ages nine to thirteen—excuse me—especially under such complex family circumstances, strains credibility. (Though, let’s imagine their story begins at the airport, for argument’s sake…)
In short, the narrative seems to prioritize romantic drama over consistent, believable character development, leaving the relationships and actions feeling forced and illogical.