• Birthday: August 22
  • Join Date: August 29, 2017
Chicago Typewriter
Sep 3, 2017
This is storytelling, or rather, story-"showing", at its best.

What a wonderfully shot drama with a winning cast and tight knit storyline.

Story: Every episode builds upon the last. I was never bored. The use of humor in this drama is also on point. Instead of the common "trolling" often employed by writers in dramas these days, the humor is unique and refreshing. The way the past life story is unraveled also fits very well with the character and story developments. In all, a very well executed drama.

Music: AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL OST. One of the songs is in English, which made it all the easier to relate to as a English-speaking viewer. A great choice of the songs used in this drama. Made the drama so beautiful and easy to be immersed in.

Acting: Yoo Ah In is in this. Need I say more? All 3 of the leads were able to infuse layered acting into this so that the characters embodied their roles perfectly, whether that was helplessness, confusion, paranoid, etc. The ending was perfect and poignant, and only because the leads' acting was able to pull it off. Some people criticized that the main lead was too insensitive and a jerk, but as you keep watching the drama reveals why he is that way, so have some patience.

I cannot say enough good things about this drama. While Legend of the Blue Seas (which is also about past and current reincarnated lives) is a romance story, Chicago Typewriter is instead a story about patriotism and friendship. The past life motif is strong this year (i.e., Goblin, Legend of the Blue Seas) but Chicago Typewriter has the best story.

This drama is so underrated, I honestly don't understand why this drama doesn't have as many viewers as the other two above. Don't be put off by the "literary-ness" which put me off initially but instead expect a very intriguing period drama x fantasy/supernatural aspects. The bromance is strong in this one. Instead of rooting for the love line, I rooted for the bromance all the way.

Definitely worth the watch! (and perhaps staying up late for!)

Fight For My Way
Aug 30, 2017
Surprisingly refreshing drama!

Completely resonated with me as someone in the late 20s/30s striving for her dreams. Don't let the summary mislead you, as it did for me. This is a drama about friendship and love. This is about living in reality, while still looking toward your dreams.

I fell in love with the characters in this drama because they are so relatable. The two main leads share a great chemistry, as they progressed from friendship to romantic love. I really liked how the drama depicted the relationship's initial awkwardness as they transitioned - very totally cute scenes. The acting was great as I was sucked in every single time. I also enjoyed the depiction of lifelong friendships between the four main leads, and the friendship between the parents as well!

Use of music was great, as the background music made me crack up many times. Also, I liked how the product placement wasn't completely obvious and was very artfully placed in the drama.

All the subplots and main plot was wrapped up very nicely in the end, which made for a satisfying ending.

The Girl Who Sees Scents
Sep 18, 2017
A drama full of sugar and spice!

Lots of sugary sweet parts across the two main leads. Spice from the very attractive Mr. Namgoong Min.

The drama dragged a little, the police investigation was done very kdrama style (a.k.a. not the most logical, but watchable). However, a very solid beginning and end, lots of comedy injected throughout and lots of genuine laughs from watching the drama.

Shin Se Kyung does a great job in this drama. Her and Yoochun's acting are on par so they made for a good match as neither overpowered the other in their acting. Lots of cute moments between the two leads.

Namgoong Min is a charismatic villain here. Mysterious and sociopathic, you can't get enough of his screen time.

The rest of the supporting cast was well chosen as well.

Good use of music - I like the sound effects they used when SSK activates her seeing smells ability.

Watch this for adorkably cute moments and a new interesting way to solve crimes.

Tunnel
Aug 29, 2017
There's a lot of comparison between Signal and Tunnel for being both crime dramas. I think the female lead in Tunnel is slightly stronger, in how she was written, although I am undecided if I like her or not. Male lead in Signal was less frustrating to watch. Signal was a better-written show. Both executed very well with strong music. Ultimately, though, I would recommend Signal to my friends over this show.

Watch this if you're in the mood for a crime drama. The first half are more procedural and more enjoyable to watch, as the second half is focused on wrapping up the major storyline.

Unfortunately, this drama doesn't make it to the top of my list for the following reasons:
- Lack of logic in dialogue. Many moments where I'm scratching my head wondering why people aren't more suspicious.
- Why do they never wear gloves at the crime scenes?
- Some parts were not fully explained and one supporting character dropped off the show with little explanation.
- Some of the "reveal" scenes made me laugh because they were overdone (yet satisfying)

Highlights:
- Strong acting. It felt like the actors made the most from the script.
- Unique premise. I love the fantasy aspect of traveling forward in time and discovering while new technologies have been formed, the human psyche hasn't.

The loveline in this drama was well done for its subtlety, which is fresh in the kdrama world.

I haven't watched that many crime dramas yet, so I see there is a lot of potential in korean dramas. Overall can't quite compare to CSI and the like due to plot holes but stronger than American TV shows in the character development and overarching plots. Looking forward to watching more of them!

Time Between Dog and Wolf
Sep 29, 2017
This drama still holds up after 10 years!  Writing this review in 2017.

Obviously don't expect the same levels of cinematography and production value since this is a drama from 2007.  Technology is also dated.

Plot is well-paced.  Nowadays the plot is usually very fast moving.  In a way, it's nice to watch a story that develops at a reasonable pace.   Enjoy this like an aged wine.

Lee Jun Ki's acting is on point.  I thought his acting was ok, until halfway through, when something happens and he takes on new personas.  And then, I was pleasantly surprised!

The relationship between Mao and Kay is interesting in this.  Father-son relationships  (even the adoptive, pseudo kind) are always more intriguing than brotherly relationships.

The female lead's storyline is a bit annoying, especially in the last few episodes.  The bromances in this drama could have been further explored, but wasn't, probably at the expense of poor writing.

All in all, an enjoyable watch!

Cruel City
Sep 26, 2017
Uniquely executed, well-developed characters, fantastic acting.

Jung Kyung Ho made me fall in love with Doctor's Son.  Like many of the reviews already said, what a refined, elegant, brooding, and beautiful character!

Rather than saying the story was well constructed, the pacing of the drama is what stands out.  Each episode built upon the last.  There are stakes, for sure.   There are villains that needed to be taken down.   There are plot twists and lots of secrets.  Instead, there might have been too many plot twists that the twists themselves no longer become surprising at the end.

But it is the characters that really draw you in.  You love the bromance between Jung Kyung Ho's "Doctor's Son" and Yoon Hyun Min's "Soo."  You are enamored with the love that can only be built with time between Doctor's Son and Kim Yoo Mi's "Lee Jin Sook."  Kim Yoo Mi's acting also added elevated tones to what could have been a very shallow and contrived female character who just looks pretty and sits around on beautiful furniture.  Even the romance, which came out of nowhere as a result of poor writing, became convincing between Jung Kyung Ho and Nam Gyu Ri, due to the tortured, brooding looks by JKH.

Excellent action scenes.  Beautifully shot with fantastic color schemes across the set.  The outfits worn by the characters also highlight their roles.

The ending made me mad.  Other than that, expect a great ride along with the characters in the drama.  It is truly worth the time to watch!

I watched this in 2017 and I'm still blown away.  So far, have not found any role in dramaland that can replace such a charismatic and complex character.  It'll be awhile until I find the next best drama.

Romantic Doctor, Teacher Kim
Sep 22, 2017
This is how medical dramas should be done!

All of the medical cases were weaved into the story seamlessly. Excellently executed. Great characters. Master Kim embodied the righteous teacher you would want to learn from, who had made mistakes and had learned from them. He was such a mentor to the younger doctors in the hospitals. He inspired them. He also stood up for them, in many satisfying scenes.

I've seen a number of Korean medical dramas, and most of the time the surgery or medical cases only served as plot devices to move the story further along. More often than not, it was difficult to be invested in the cases. However, with this drama, each medical case really brought along a lot of emotions and drama, as you learn not just from the doctors, but also from the patients.

This drama especially reminds me of early days Grey's Anatomy. Lots of heart. Lots of tension. Satisfying to watch when injustice is overturned, which the doctors face on an almost daily basis.

The romance, while light in this drama, is well done for its realism.

Watch this if you are in the mood for a medical drama and you will be drawn in by the doctors at Doldam Hospital, who put saving the lives of their patients above all else, as true modern day superheroes. Be prepared to drop some tears!

Can We Get Married?
Sep 18, 2017
This is a 20 episode drama about whether a couple will get married or not.

Just know what you are signing up for if you decide to watch - marriage is as much about marrying two families as it is about marrying two individuals. How do in-laws settle their differences? What place does pride have in a new marriage? The reality of bills, housing, transportation after getting married? Where will the wedding be and who will be paying for it?

This drama covers all of that and more. Both mothers of the bride and groom love their children very much. But they also have a lot of pride and the fighting between the mothers take up the majority of the challenges faced by the bride and groom.

I enjoyed the supporting cast's relationships with each other, as they depicted various scenarios. More realism with a dash of romance. As the older sister is going through difficulties in her marriage, it is interesting to include that as well, as it relates to how important marriage and family life need to be managed post-wedding. It only gets more complex as children come into the picture.

This is really a drama about the characters. Lots of push-pull type of dialogue, introspection, and negotiation. All the actors do a good job here, though the dialogue can get dry and boring at times.

Witch's Romance
Sep 18, 2017
Corny and cheesy in the best way!

This is one of the best noona romances, proving that love knows no age boundaries. Park Seo Joon and Uhm Jung Hwa's chemistry is off the charts crazy good in this drama. You can't help but smile at the couple's cute bantering and tension. The 14 year age gap (and 19 in real life) doesn't seem real based on how believable the romance scenes are executed. Great writing, directing, and acting across the board. Uhm Jung Hwa looks really good and had great outfits throughout the drama. Actually, I really enjoyed the style choices by all of the cast and the outfits really added to each character's personality.

The middle of the story dragged too much, with the return of the ex-fiancee. If you can make it past that, you will be rewarded with lots of smiley and fuzzy sweet moments at the end.

Good use of sound effects. Loved all of the supporting cast and their storylines as well. Yoon Hyun Min shines in his comedic acting here.

Really enjoyed this drama. For feel-good moments, watch the beginning and the end.

My Princess
Sep 10, 2017
For when this drama came out, I think it was a well-done rom-com with lots of cute chemistry between the main leads.

For someone who has been watching dramas for a long time, you will find that while the premise is quite interesting, the storyline and villains are quite predictable.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed it. The first few episodes are the best because the SSH and KTH had good dialogue and the repeated meetings between the strangers were believable and cute. There was character development throughout the drama between the two main leads.

Watch this for cute moments and skip the predictable villains that pop up throughout.

One More Happy Ending
Sep 2, 2017
This is a melodrama with a rom-com shroud. It is supposedly like the Korean sex and the city, with 4 women leading different lives. There are some cute scenes but not enough.

Acting: The two main leads both have very natural acting talents. The second male lead's acting is too stiff and thus made for a pretty boring love triangle storyline. Surprise cameo was a riot!

Story: I enjoyed watching the various versions of marriage/dating throughout the drama. I also really liked Jung Kyung Ho's character as a single dad. If only all single dads were this perfect! Unfortunately, the story dragged, especially in the middle of the drama. If this drama was shortened to 8 episodes with 2 focused on each couple, it would have been ideal.

Overall, a good watch for when you are bored and want some cute romance but don't expect your socks to be knocked off. The entire cast is as good looking as they come so it's worth it for just watching all the handsome men and women in this drama!

Falling for Innocence
Sep 1, 2017
This is a watchable melodrama with very little sub-plots.

The BGM really resembled that of Healer's, which I enjoyed. The acting by the leads was top notch. I watched this for the romance and not for the business / corporate takeover aspects. The beginning of the drama had a good story flowing but became a mess towards the end of the drama as the writers tried to wrap everything up neatly in the last 2 episodes. However, the ending felt rushed and as a viewer, I felt robbed of the potential cute romantic scenes between the leads... I would have been more satisfied if I got to watch more cute scenes by the leads.

Cheese in the Trap
Aug 29, 2017
Supporting leads stole the romance in this drama since the main leads' relationship was a bit like a train wreck.

I never read the webtoon so this review is for the show only. Very strong beginning and set up of the show but frankly very limited character development and limited relationship development. While the characters did grow a lot of times I'm found thinking about just how average these characters are in their personality. Hardly anything about the characters themselves made it worth watching other than how pretty the overall cast was.

The side plots are very cliche if you've ever read shoujo manga, but then again this was based on a webtoon.

The show had potential. Worth a watch if you like college setting and rich boy/poor girl tropes.

Signal
Aug 29, 2017
Korean version of "Frequency."

A 100x times better than the CW-adaptation (girl and her father in the past communicated via radio).

A lot of people loved Kim Hye Soo in her role as the main female lead but I really did not enjoy her acting in this. Her eyes are expressive for sure but too much eye acting made it feel she was a creepier character than she really was. I enjoyed the main male leads' acting in this

The wrap-up was satisfying. A show I've been consistently recommending to my non-kdrama watching friends as a hope to get them into watching kdramas!

It's usually really hard for me to watch shows with little to no romance but this show succeeded by making me watch it all the way through.

Overall, a really solid show if you are into great writing, execution, and acting. One of the most recommendable shows of 2016 for sure.

Healer
Aug 29, 2017
This drama has a lot of hype for having a bit of everything: romance, action, thriller. It is definitely in a category of its own because of it. Story flowed all the way through with interesting scenes, great dialogue, a lot of heart. Acting and chemistry between the actors were on point as well, which made it all the more enjoyable to watch.

Watch this if you are in the mood for a mystery waiting to be unveiled, a swoon worthy romance, spunky female lead, and time for binging!