• Last Online: 39 minutes ago

palak

India
Jealousy Incarnate
Nov 10, 2016
To me, Jealousy Incarnate is a messy drama. But it is messy in the most perfect sense possible. The kind of drama that reminds you about the joys of love, friendship, life and sorrow. I went looking for a typical Gong Hyo Jin romantic comedy drama that I crave once in a while. But this is so much more than a romantic comedy.

Of course, the romantic comedy elements are all there. The love triangle is killer. You will definitely have a second lead syndrome, even if it's only for a few fleeting seconds. But at the same time, you will never stop loving the male lead. The story also makes you laugh plenty. I haven't laughed like this while watching a drama in a long time. The writers didn't take even a minute for granted and the whole thing is an absolute joyride.

Another awesome thing about the story is how they covered a whole range of issues in a lighthearted and optimistic manner. We have the issues of male breast cancer, asexuality, live-in, two-timing, workforce rat-race, not-so-typical families explored beautifully in a way that only a Korean drama can pull off. The romance is top-notch. I love the chemistry between the two leads and between all characters in general. The comic timing is great.

Among the characters, I was absolutely invested in Hwa Shin's character. He is not perfect but the kind of growth the character showed from the very first episode all the way till the end, and the way Jo Jung Suk portrayed Hwa Shin's struggle in love and life, it was amazing. He absolutely killed it! I have watched everything Jo Jung Suk has starred in and this is my favorite of his works (so far). Gong Hyo Jin was her usual best. I love her in these naive roles that she plays. Both second leads were great. Jung Won was more perfect but Hwa Shin was more interesting.

Pal Gang's moms were hilarious and their interactions were something I always looked forward to. The company had an interesting setting. I loved Pinocchio and this time, it was nice to see a drama from an anchor's perspective instead of reporters. Pyo Na Ri's struggle to switch from a forecaster to an anchor was inspiring and something that was relate-able.

I am definitely rewatching this. Some scenes are so memorable and the chemistry is unforgettable. The music is great. My favorite song from the OST is "Yes! Love". I waited for it to release for a long time. Overall, it is going down as one of my favorites. And Jo Jung Suk has almost made it to my favorite actors list. Highly highly recommended for all kinds of moods!

Marriage, Not Dating
Sep 26, 2014
I think this is one of those dramas where you sit back and say "Wow, so this is also a way a Korean Drama can be made". I mean, don't get me wrong, there were some kdrama cliches in Marriage Not Dating but nothing was overbearing. In fact, I loved those cliches too. And it was an extremely refreshing romantic-comedy.

The plot was very interesting throughout. A guy wants to stay single while his family (mostly his mom) threatens to get him married. So he decides to make Jang Mi his fake girlfriend as he knows his family would never approve of her as their daughter-in-law. The funniest ride starts right there at their first meeting. I loved how they started every episode with some fast-forwarded scene that made you go, "did I miss an episode or something?". lol.

The characters were all amazing. I haven't loved a female lead in a long time the way I loved Jang Mi. She was hilarious and had a kind heart. I mean, sure, she got a little clingy at times but that was funny too. Ki Tae was great. Out of all their friends, Hoon Dong was the best! I didn't care much for second leads, which was pretty much a bonus because I hate having second lead syndrome. Both the families were great. I think Ki Tae's mom's character was the most interesting. Sometimes I loved her and there were times I really hated her (can't believe Jang Mi never disliked her). But there were also times I pitied her. By the end of the drama I realized she was the character I became most emotionally invested in. I loved her and loved how she grew as a person. In fact I loved the growth of every character in this drama. I think when it comes to creating beautiful characters, TVN is the best. Whether it's the characters from Reply 1997/1994 or shut up flower boy band, they all impressed us and it had nothing to do with fancy celebrities but rather with the script.

The music is great. "Love Lane" and "Stop The Love Now" have been a part of my daily jam for a while now. It's a cute, cheerful OST overall. Moreover I loved the funny background music (people who have watched this would know what I'm talking about). I think I haven't loved any bgm this much since the "meh" for Sam Chun Po in Reply 1994. Hahaha.

Overall I would recommend this drama for the slightly-different but cute love story and the hilarious family situations. Definitely worth a watch and a rewatch!

Pinocchio
Jan 24, 2015
Pinocchio on the surface is about a bunch of reporters who learn what reporting is truly all about. Or at least, that's what I was expecting until I heard Lee Jong Suk joined the cast. I swear nobody has a knack for good roles the way he does. He just knows how to pick an amazing role and make it even more amazing with his acting skills. And that's what this drama was. Absolutely AMAZING. Every episode took me deeper and deeper into their story and by the time I was done, I was crying like a wild horse (if wild horses cry). Every character, every situation and every decision (made by Dal Po) either turned me into a huge of puddle of emotional mess or brought a huge, shiny grin on my face. Some stuff got me slapping my computer screen so hard (I'll make it up to you babe). There were no in-betweens. Also there were no dull moments.

Coming to characters. Dal Po is amazing. And not just your everyday amazing but amazing amazing. While I was watching I can't even count the number of times I would've made a choice completely different from him. He was so brave and just so right. The kind of path he took, there was no assurance that he would be able to avenge his family at all and as we moved further into the story, we realize that if he hadn't made the choices that he did, he wouldn't even have been able to catch the right culprit. As for Park Shin Hye, I've really only liked her in You're Beautiful. Her characters in Heirs and Flower Boy Next Door were extremely disappointing. But this is her best portrayal. I loved Choi In Ha and her blunt attitude (not that she had a choice considering the Pinocchio Syndrome). I think I'll have a hard time remembering it's not a real syndrome.

The supporting cast was amazing, especially Yoon Yoo Rae. Her little love-story towards the end was really cute (I'm trying really hard not to give spoilers here, but I'm so excited I can barely contain it, lol). In Ha's mom, her dad, her grandpa, everyone was great. Both the Caps and OMG the whole staff at YGN. I absolutely loved them. Especially the dude with the creepy grin and the hairband. He was awesome! Ahn Chan Soo was awesome. Kim Hae Sook is one of my favorite actors when it comes to moms and other older roles and the parts she plays always have something great to offer. Same happened here. Her character started out as a sweet and overly-protective mom which reminded me of her roles in Marriage Not Dating and I Hear Your Voice but it grew into so much more. Last (but most definitely not the least) Ki Jae Myung was mesmerizing. You know what he does is wrong, yet all you feel for him is sympathy and make excuses for him, because the emotional turmoil he goes through is simply palpable. He suffered through years of pain and guilt and he suffered all by himself. It was beautiful, the way his character was shaped.

The music is good, though not extremely good. It's melodious, relaxing and not too dramatic. Every Single Day has composed some nice ones for the OST.

Comparisons to I Hear Your voice are inevitable since the lead actor along with supporting cast and the writer-director were same for both dramas. And there is an essence of IHYV here in this drama, which makes it just as great. But nothing is repetitive and Pinocchio easily holds it's own. I would recommend it to everyone now that all the episodes are out and you don't have to live in agony waiting for new episodes.

Five Enough
Aug 21, 2016
Five Enough is a heart-warming story a divorcee mother of three and a widowed father of two coming together and becoming one big, happy family. This is exactly what drew me to watch this drama even though I was unfamiliar with the cast.

50+ episode dramas can be extremely tricky. Sometimes they are so bad that you lose your faith in dramas and vow to never watch another 50 episodes drama again. But sometimes they are so brilliant, your faith is restored completely in one stroke. Thankfully, Five Children falls in the second category. The story was brilliant and there were no dull moments at all. The main leads had a wonderful story and all the characters surrounding them had their own great sub-plot. The female lead was badass and the male lead was the touch of kindness she needed in her life. They were perfect for each other!

Sang Min was definitely the highlight of the show and his romance with Yoon Tae was the cutest. Sang Min reminded a bit of Tae Joo from What Happens To My Family. He was so funny and both of them were so adorable.

Tae Min and Jin Joo started off as a little annoying (especially Jin Joo) but they became really adorable in the end. Jin Joo had the most character development, in my opinion. She started as a spoiled brat and became a responsible adult in the end. I think she won a lot of hearts. And their relationship was really interesting to watch in the last 10 episodes or so.

The rest of the cast was equally great! Sang Tae's In-laws were annoying and overbearing at times but they were also one of the most interesting characters in the show. They cared a lot and had their own (crazy) way to show it. Sang Tae's parents were complete opposite of the in-laws. They were sweet, caring and gentle people. The father was so supportive and wise; he was awesome! Sang Tae's brother was handsome but such a swindler in the beginning. His character got better halfway through and he didn't lose his funnyman act anywhere. Soon Young was a sweet presence in the show and a key character to bring more excitement.

Mi Jung's grandma was a force to be reckoned with. Loved that strong lady! Mi Jung's ex husband and his wife and mother-in-law were annoying at one hand but on the other hand, the wife seemed like such a harmless airhead, you just feel like "Whatever, let everyone be happy". Her mom seemed like an evil lady but you realize how human she is. Imagine if your daughter bringing a married man home and declaring she cannot live without him. She was prepared to be cursed and be strong for her daughter. I think I liked the mom more than the airhead wife.

All the children were a delight to watch! In fact, the whole time you feel excited about the kids moving in together (one day) and being one big squad of siblings. I had my moments where I liked all kids. But if I have to think about it, Woo Young was my favorite kid. He was so caring and protective of his mother and sisters. He helped out and looked out for his mom. He was too mature for his age. Loved that kid! Woo Ri was a brilliant actress. Woo Joo was adorable! Soo and Bin were immature at times but I grew fond of them too at some point.

The OST was awesome. I have it in my phone. It was bubbly and catchy and soothing all at once.

I can't imagine rewatching this right now because of it's length but it is highly rewatchable. I will probably get down to watching it again a few years down the lane.

Overall, it was wonderful and would highly recommend it even if you are wary of weekend family dramas. It doesn't have any makjang and it's low on excessive melodrama. It's a nice family drama, almost has a slight slice-of-life feel to it.

Prison Playbook
Jan 18, 2018
This is the most emotionally-driven review I have ever written. So much that I don't know what to say.

Five years back, I switched from watching dramas that have already aired to dramas that are, as we put it, "currently-airing". We've all had that transition at some point, and to me, a good currently-airing Korea drama has two potential flaws - one,  certain scenes are too boring so you skip over or skim over them; two, when you come back a week later to watch fresh episodes, you might not find the drama as appealing as you did last week. But once in a while, you find a drama like Wise Prison Life. A drama where you can't skip a single scene and cherish each and every moment. A drama where you come back to watch new episodes, dive right in and feel like you never left.

The script is so well-written. There is no strong intensity or urgency in the drama, but only in small doses. And the feels are so sweet, heartwarming and beautiful. I don't know how to describe it, but you'll understand if you have watched the Reply series. You would end up loving the smallest details and the entire journey would make you an emotional mess (but in a good way, thankfully).

Coming to characters, the writers have always been my favorites for the characters they develop. No wonder everyone wants to work with them! And Wise Prison Life has some of my favorite characters ever. And in one single drama! I loved every single character and their personal journeys as well as their shared journey. They are all so lovable and cool. I can't even pick a favorite! They're all so amazing and their friendship and their struggles make me cry even after finishing the drama. Kim Je Hyuk is such an inspiring character, not just because of his perseverance, but also because of his non-judgmental, humble personality. Joon Ho is the best friend one could have! I am so glad Jung Kyung Ho did not skip out on this one (let's face it, his role isn't as meaty as we would have all expected). He was perfect! His brother was hilarious! And OMG LOONY!!! And OMG LIT. PAENG!!! And...okay, I shall stop. Bottom line, all of them were so awesome, and I am overwhelmed.

Not only did this drama have a great OST, I also ended up discovering Kim Kwang Seok and his beautiful songs because of it! The rap intro OST was super lit. Mino and Yoon did a song for them too. I love them, they are one of my favorite musicians (and so is WINNER). In fact, I was really surprised when I saw Yoon in this, because I have had a huuuge crush on Yoon for a long time. But yes, this is not the time to talk about KPOP crushes! LOL. And Yoon did a very decent job here. The romance was perfectly incorporated in the story. It was not overbearing and neither was it lacking. I liked Krystal here and also the romantic interest of Jun Ho (who I'll not name because I have learned to keep my reviews spoiler-free. Mostly, LOL).

Overall, this drama is for everybody! It's a rare gem. Everyone must watch this!

The Good Wife
Aug 28, 2016
I started The Good Wife to alleviate the painful wait for the new episodes of Doctors (oh, the irony). And 2 episodes in, I was absolutely engaged! The Good Wife is not a typical drama. It has a mature tone and deals with mature issues. When a normal Korean drama deals with cheating on your spouse, they make it all cheesy and overly dramatic. I just love how they handled the cheating in this drama. It was so realistic and you completely understood where each character came from.

The female lead was amazing. She was so calm and dignified and yet, there is a subtle change occurring within her throughout, simmering beneath the diplomatic surface. It never explodes or exposes itself completely. You cannot hold that change to one single moment. You can't point at one moment and say "there she is finally!" But you can feel the change constantly, scene after scene. Until it has become a part of her completely.

I love her character. It is so deep and yet we can all relate to it somewhere. The rest of the cast is equally amazing. Nana's character was brilliant. She was so unique in her style and I loved her screen-time, especially with Hye Kyung. I didn't know much about Nana before I started this show (except that she wins the title of "most beautiful face" a lot). But I really look forward to seeing her in more roles (and different ones). I didn't know much about Jun Do Yeon either (except that she was paid A LOT for this drama). But I she was so good here, I ended up checking out a couple of her movies (and loving them!).

The guys were awesome. Jung Won was sooo sexayyy. Like MY GOD. He's like a bad boy who grew up like some really fine wine. I'll be crushing on him for a while. The romance was unexpectedly awesome. The drama is full of sexual tension and I am not complaining.

Tae Joon was another complex character who was a delight to watch. The whole time you are wondering WHO THE HELL IS HE? WHAT IS HE THINKING? This guy had me really confused with his sometimes-bad-sometimes-good character. But then I realized the catch. This is how he is supposed to be. This is how we all are. There is no black or white. There are good sides to us and there are dark sides. And that is exactly how he was. He was a scary man but he was a gentle father. He was trying to do something right using wrong methods. He loved his wife but he succumbed to temptation. A lot. He was human.

The music was perfect for the drama and this drama can definitely be watched again for the complexities and the surprisingly swoon-worthy romance that takes it's own sweet time to build.

Cunning Single Lady
Nov 30, 2014
When I started this drama, I was kind of prepared to hate the plot and leading lady. I mean, come on, the synopsis basically describes a gold digger taking a second shot at her husband after she finds out about his new success. But in the end I loved the drama! It was cute and an easy-watch. I wouldn't say it was extremely addictive, but it didn't drag much either. So it was one of those average feel-good dramas with a happy ending.

I loved Lee Min Jung here. And Joo Sang Wook, who I've only watched in Good Doctor and his role there was too different. L had a small supporting role but it was pretty cute too. In fact, this drama was overflowing with cute guys. And I'm nowhere near complaining. lol. The second leads here were extremely bearable. I mean, yeah, there was a point towards the end where I wanted to punch both of them for a moment. But it was flickering. And relatively they pretty good second leads. Not good enough to have second syndromes but good enough to develop a slight liking for them. The second lead girl especially was not a cold hearted bitch. I mean, she was shy and a bit gloomy because of her disability and her past. But she was nevertheless likeable.

The ending episode was super-sweet, with every character a bit of their own happy ending. Overall I would say while this drama is not something that would make you go, "wow best drama eveer" but at the same time you won't regret watching it and definitely won't throw popcorn at your screen. lol.

You're Beautiful
Jun 9, 2013
I really don't know whether I can actually write a review for this without giving any spoilers. But I'll try, so here we go. This. Drama. Is. HILARIOUS. I mean, I know different people like different kinds of Humor but this one would definitely tickle your funny bone. Whether it's Hwang Tae Kyung's duck pout or Go Mi Nam's aunt's butt slapping or Jeremy's Gay issues or lots of other things that might get to you. But it'll surely make you laugh!

The story is awesome and refreshing in the most cliche way. A girl dresses up as a guy and works with guys and falls for one of those guys. But out of all Gender-Bender stories, this one would definitely stay with you forever. I mean, I've literally had moments where I suddenly zone out and start thinking about random scenes from this drama and laugh hysterically, and then people eye me like, "Did you just have a crazy-woman episode?" and I can't explain it to them because they just won't watch the effing drama! I mean, come on, it's weird explaining.

Coming to acting. EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THAT DRAMA IS EPIC. Like, seriously, all the characters, even Jung Yong Hwa (playing Shin Woo) who people keep dissing saying he's a horrible actor, is just EPIC in you're beautiful. The actors playing even the smallest characters are epic. The music is mind-blowing. Definitely on my top 5 Korean drama OST (and you know how much competition the K-drama OSTs have). "Without Words" by Park Shin Hye has so much meaning to it, it just gives me goosebumps. Whoever wrote that song, HATS OFF! I have watched this drama twice and keep searching funny clips on YouTube and rewatching them all the time.

So, in conclusion, everyone should watch this drama. It's a rite of passage for every Korean drama watcher. But I guess most of us have watched it already, but still. If you haven't, you should definitely put this one on your PTW list :)

Healer
Mar 6, 2015
I actually started this drama when it first began airing but at that time I was distracted by other dramas (mostly Pinocchio) and gave up on it after watching only half of first episode. I picked it up again after a couple of months. 14 episodes were out by then and I remember dramathoning the whole thing in two days straight. This drama is seriously addictive and edgy. The plot is fantastically written and every ending makes you want more. And apart from the amazing action and thriller sequences, this drama has a great romance. There are no second leads annoying you but there are those terribly sweet jealousy moments. I love mysterious sexy male leads who turn clingy and cute. I can't believe the ratings for this drama weren't sky-rocketing in Korea. I really don't understand Korean preferences. They watch makjang shows one after the other but when gems like Healer turn up, they switch the channel.

Coming to characters, Healer. God I love healer. I love how he's jumping around buildings and coming up with these exciting plans. I love what he does for a living and I love his little high-tech shack. I love that he's a loner. I've only watched Ji Chang Wook in Empress Ki other than this drama but I must say he is always a delight to watch.

Park Min Young. I must admit that the only reason I ever hesitated to watch this drama, it was because of Park Min Young. I've watched many of her dramas and I've generally not cared much for her roles. But it was Kim Nana in City Hunter that ticked me off. God I hate Nana. She's a bodyguard who needs a bunch of bodyguards. In fact, I think it would be better if someone locked her up somewhere far, far away until everyone's done with whatever they're trying to do. She seriously messes things up and then goes around acting cute about it. So, yeah, basically I was weary that Park Min Young is going to play a role like Nana here. But I guess 2015 is the year of Reinvention for Korean actresses (with Park Shin Hye also winning hearts for her performance in Pinocchio). Park Min Young not only did a wonderful job in this drama, her character Cha Yeong Shin was a delight to watch. There were a few times in this drama where I held my breath because I was afraid that Yeong Shin would make a terrible choice that would create a havoc and make me hate her. But she was so awesome at those points that it really made me love her character overall.

The rest of the cast was great too. My favorites were definitely ajjumma and Yeong Shin's family (her dad and the rest of the criminal staff). I really held my breath there towards the end when I had a feeling Ajjumma is going to die. My Eun Shi Kyung feels were returning to me, I was all set to cry. I'll never forget that moment of relief when I realized she will escape. Thank you writers for not killing her off. I wish they had shown an emotional reunion of mother and daughter though. The ending was just a little rushed. Or maybe it's just me never wanting Healer to end. lol.

The music was great. I have the whole album on my phone. My personal favorites are Eternal Love and When You Hold Me Tight. I like that song by Ji Chang Wook too, although I've only heard it a few times.

Overall it's a masterpiece and even though the ratings in Korea weren't all that great I'm so glad it's getting it's due on MDL (9.2 avg yay!) and other internet portals. It's doing well in China too, with Ji Chang Wook being one of the most searched Korean actors there these days. I guess a good story would always find it's worth one way or the other.

I’m Not a Robot
Jan 25, 2018
This is one of those fluffy, easy-watch dramas that are easy on the plot but amazing on the acting. The story is unbelievable, almost nonsensical, but the actors pull it off and so well that you can't help but admire their acting. Although, the overall concept is kinda crazy, the plot itself is very well written. The punches are great and well on time. The romance will not give you any intense satisfaction. Instead, the romance is sweet and innocent and fluffy. Some scenes are hilarious.

Coming to the cast. I am not particularly fond of Chae Soo Bin, but this drama definitely changed that. She was perfect both as the robot Ah Ji and the street smart Ji Ah. Yoo Seung Ho was ADORABLE! He was the best thing about the show! I've seen plenty of his works and I think by far, this is my favorite character portrayed by him. This character really suited him so much. The supporting cast was really good. Loved Ji Ah's friend and her brother as well as his family. They were all great. Sun Hye's little love triangle was awesome. lol.

The music was great. Perfect amount of chirp and serious.

I would definitely come back and watch it for the adorable character of Kim Min Kyu as well as certain hilarious scenes. Also, someone needs to invent those things Ji Ah made in the show, but sounds a little difficult from science's POV, lol.
Anyways, if you are in a mood for an easy-watch, this is definitely your show!

The Man From Nowhere
Jan 7, 2014
So I've been really curious about Won Bin all through this time while watching Korean dramas. I've only watched him in a supporting role in Autumn in my Heart and while I thoroughly enjoyed his role, I always wondered what made him click so much with the Korean audience (and the audience all over the world, as a matter of fact). I mean, if we look at it statistically, Won Bin has barely done any dramas beyond the 90s and has only done a handful of movies but if you look out for best actors in Korea, his name tends to come on top.

It' the quality effect indeed. He has done some really good movies and The Man From Nowhere is a great example of his less-in-quantity-more-in-quality movies. I loved this movie. It was thrilling and touching all at once. A man going all the way to save a little girl because she's his friend. And the man cannot be stopped! He's a freaking one-man army, who won't stop until he wants to. What a great plot! I was on the edge of my seat throughout the movie and the ending made me cry. Well, almost since I don't cry that easily. The ending was a little different from what I expected but it was a good ending.

The rewatch value is the only thing that is not a ten for me. That's mostly because you know how the movie will progress and that steals a bit of the excitement. But the action scenes are simply WOW. The lead character is so strong and invincible, but he doesn't care about glory.

Loving, Never Forgetting
Feb 4, 2015
I waited for this drama to be subbed for about half a year and it was worth it. The plot is a little similar to Autumn's Concerto and Autumn's Concerto fans would certainly enjoy, if not as much as AC. Loving Never Forgetting is not about two people in love who have a baby. It's about two strangers who have a one-night stand and the man doesn't even remember the woman. Imagine saving a little boy in an accident and finding out he's your son, even though you can't even recognize the mother! This drama follows these two people as they fall in love and truly become a real family. The plot has some ridiculous, rather-makjang elements but overall it's a heart-warming story.

Jerry Yan is one of the most handsome Taiwanese actors and I have watched him in a few dramas. His character here is quite different from the immature-but-funny-and-sweet brats he generally plays. Here, he's a cold, ruthless businessman who does not believe in love or marriage. I liked him here and he definitely stole the show! Wu Tong is really clumsy and at times, really stupid. She's the perfect damsel-in-distress, something that ticked me off a bit. I'm kind of used to strong drama female leads now and characters like her make me want to roll my eyes at them every minute. If I got a penny for every time she fell down, I would be a millionaire. But the woman is plain stubborn. She never got rid of those heels (and how did she afford them anyway since she barely managed to earn her living). But anyways her character wasn't entirely hate-worthy. I mean, she was the sweet, innocent, perfect lead after all. Tong Tong was alright. Nothing compared to Xaio Le obviously (Xaio Le was too classic). Supporting characters were fine. My personal favorite was the special assistant.

The OST was good enough. This was my third Chinese drama (I think) and although these dramas are longer in terms of episodes, they're enjoyable. I could rewatch Jerry Yan's scenes with his child and Wu Tong but the rest I would definitely skip in the second round (if there is one). It's a good drama overall and when it comes down to it, definitely worth the watch.

Seo Yeong, My Daughter
May 15, 2013
I don't know if I would recommend My Daughter Seoyoung to EVERYONE. For starters, this drama is 50 episodes long, so some parts are bound to drag and it needs patience. It's certainly not for people who make ep-to-ep analysis. I don't even know what I was thinking when I picked this one. Usually I pick dramas with episodes not more than 20. This was my first 50 episodes drama(Ok, Technically, Lee Soon Shin is the Best is my first 50 episodes drama, but that one's still airing). I guess I was bored.

Anyways, coming to my opinion on this drama, I loved it (I guess that's pretty obvious from my ratings. lol). This drama didn't drag for me at all. I didn't skip anything. The relationships were so beautiful. The father-daughter relationship full of emotions that every daughter can relate to. I mean, let's face it, at some point we've all fought with our dads. But we still love them unconditionally. That's how kids are programmed into this world (wait, did I just quote Anastasia Grey? I think I did). Obviously, things between Seoyoung and her dad are at another level. But she still loves him and their reconciliation is beautiful. There are other amazing relationships that took my breath away. The brother-sister, the husband-wife. I loved Seoyoung's mother-in-law and OMG HER BRO-IN-LAW IS SOO HOT!! I really like him (not just because he's hot though, lol).

I can't believe Seoyoung felt so lonely when all these people were in her life, loving her and encouraging her in their own ways. Her husband is just..PERFECT. I think I'm going to rewatch this whole drama in a couple of decades. In fact, I think I'm going to buy this on DVD. All the high tv ratings for this drama aren't for nothing. This drama fully deserved them. One of my favorites.

That Winter, The Wind Blows
Apr 5, 2013
This drama was quite refreshing and beautiful. I'm not really talking about the story. I mean, it was a typical love story, predictable at most points (although there were some shockers thrown in too). What I'm actually talking about is the amazing cinematography and the beautiful locales where this was shot. Everything was simply breath-taking from the wardrobe to the snowy mountains. Another plus point was the way Oh Soo's character was played out. I liked all the characters and everyone acted well but it was Oh Soo who made me cry and relieved and sad and sympathetic and at times, even gave me goosebumps. It was nice seeing Song Hye Kyo after the long gap and she was here usual best. Eun Ji and Kim Bum made a very cute couple. Kim Bum has become one of my all time favorite side-kicks. As for Eun ji, I really want to see her in another center role now. I mean, she was great in this but she deserves more lead roles. I guess she's my forever-bias after Reply 1997 :)

Empress Ki
Sep 27, 2014
Let me first give a little background on my undying and irreplaceable love for Ha Ji Won. Secret Garden was my second korean drama and still remains my all-time favorite. While it is undeniably Hyun Bin who stole the show in Secret Garden, I realized how much I came to love and respect Gil Ra Im (Ha Ji Won's character). Then I picked up King2Hearts while it was airing and 2 episodes in and I had fallen head-over-heels in love with Hang-Ah. I think she's the only female character I have ever had a girl-crush on. So, it was pretty expected of me to pick up Empress Ki eventually.

Although I don't watch 50 episodes dramas easily, I do pick one up once in a while if it catches my interest. So I started this drama just to watch Ha Ji Won in action again and also because I was in a mood for a historical drama. But honestly, all I was expecting was an overrated drama with a poor, exaggerated plot and brilliant acting. Boy, was I wrong.

Empress Ki is undeniably the best drama of 2013. And this is coming from someone who has watched I Hear Your Voice, Master's Sun and Man From The Stars. The plot is so well-paced that you won't feel like stopping even for a moment and won't feel like skipping a single scene either. The plot evokes such trouble for all protagonists but yet you sit in relief knowing Nyang is there. Watching, observing, plotting, winning.

Nyang. She is the best thing about this drama. She is behind-the-scene most of the time and she defeats her opponents before they even know who they are up against. The girl can plot and fight. She is the perfect one-man army. I haven't seen a more wiser character than her. Coming Wang Yu, he is perfect too. From the beginning you know Nyang and Wang Yu aren't meant to be since she's destined to marry the king of Yuan and become Empress Ki. But even then you can't help rooting for him from time to time and falling for his charms and his sincerity towards Nyang. But the King of Yuan isn't someone you can take for granted. Even though he's a bit of a coward and a puppet played by many, he is still very cute and likeable. Honestly I think he's a naive soul stuck in the horrible politics of the palace with no one to rely on and with no option but to fight not just for his throne but his life. I really loved his devotion for Empress Ki in all circumstances. All supporting actors were simply brilliant and were nowhere beneath the main cast. My personal favorites were El Temur (because I loved seeing him go down!) and his kids (who doesn't love seeing a bitch being tortured!). I also loved the servants of Goryeo and all the eunuchs of Yuan. Tal Tal and his uncle were also amazing. Some characters I loved because they were lovable but some characters I loved for their cruelty.

The music was great and the production was simply breathtaking. From the clothes to palaces and the forests, everything they shot was so beautiful and historically rich.

Coming to the historical significance, many historians complained that the drama portrayed Empress Ki as a national hero where in fact she was a traitor who tried to make her brother sit on Goryeo's throne. The drama has been repeatedly been accused of exaggerating facts and misguiding people (especially young ones, who are not much aware of Empress Ki) into idolizing empress ki.

Although I cannot comment on the historical facts, I would ask people to watch this with an open mind, without trying to find empress ki from history in the character of Nyang. She might not be the same person but the character that has been written is truly worth a watch.

I would recommend this drama to everyone. If you've never watched a 50+ eps drama, this is a good place to start. If you've never watched a historical drama, this is a good place to start. Definitely Ha Ji won's best portrayal so far. She deserved all those Daesang awards she got for this.