Taisetsu na Koto wa Subete Kimi ga Oshiete Kureta (2011) poster

addicted2dramas
Oct 26, 2012
First of all- Japanese really know how to make dramas. They really know how to hit you right on the spot. 'You Taught Me All The Important Things' is a very accurate name for it. If I had to describe it as briefly as possible- I would say this is literally about learning the important things in life, and how these situations or lessons can help you grow up.

We get to see the story in two parts- one where the story begins and other six months later. It had me entertained, frustrated, depressed and happy. But only when a story manages in getting the right reactions out of you, you can say it was successful. And this definitely was. I was on a ride with all its characters throughout the span of 10 episodes. I can't believe how quickly it ended.

It has one of the most well-shot emotional scenes I have seen in dramas yet. The last two episodes had moments which had me close to tears. Some scenes were plain beautiful. Plus, the dialogues are exceptionally well-written. The OST was also great. Pink is one of my favourite singers and I liked the songs they picked. The background score is beyond amazing. I will keep listening to it until I get bored.

This is the kind of drama that you either love or hate. It might require some patience towards the middle of the story, but it is all worth it in the end. The plot loses its colour in this part, but I still wanted to know what would happen. I was very invested in the characters. Though its ending is predictable, it is difficult to guess anything in between. The writer will manage to provide you with a good twist every other episode.

It has some pretty solid characters. It reminded me of how humans really are like. All characters act in a way that would turn you off, but at the end of the day they are presented as very ordinary human beings. And that is how we all are- flawed. And we all make mistakes. This is exactly what the characters do- they screw up, but they also learn from their mistakes and move on. The character depth of Hikari was tremendous. She is initially presented as a thoughtless, immature bad girl to us. But in fact, she is lonely and has serious abandonment issues. I really loved how she grew up by the end. Also, the struggle of Natsumi touched me. She shows how important it is to keep fighting and never give up hope. On the other hand, I was pissed at Shuji. He was hard to like till the end. He has some good things about him too, but the bad ones really annoyed me.

There were some scenes of the school which didn't get through me. I don't know how it is in Japan, but isn't the private matter of teachers to not be discussed with the students? I didn't get why Shuji was so openly talking about his personal problems with the students. That was super weird. Maybe it had to with his honesty? I am confused about that.

As for the ending- it was perfect. Just how things should have been. This is the first ending that left me totally satisfied because it provided closure to each and every character. And every one got what they wanted. What better way than this to end a drama?

So, this drama is not just for light viewing. Unless you have the patience to sit through a story where you can't enjoy unless you think- this isn't for you. If you're up for complex stories, then go ahead. It will surely not let you down.

7burgerhands
Feb 16, 2012
This drama is one of my personal favorites because despite the heavy drama on the plot itself, it managed to deliver the message to the viewers in a light and not so draggy way. It was actually kind of realistic compared to most dramas. I personally commend on how the characters are developed like real persons and not that in a fictional drama. Emotions were depicted as how a real person would feel it, definitely not exaggerated. It showed life's uncertainties and the reality that people, most of the time, don't know what to do when faced with adversities. It was also straight to the point and didn't include unnecessary drama and it has subtlety. I honestly admire all its aspects: the cast, story line, soundtrack and even cinematography and I hope that more dramas could have this high quality.

Lovegood
Nov 10, 2012
One of those not-so-known dramas yet a VERY VERY VERY GOOD ONE... Compared to other romance dramas, the story of TAISETSU NA KOTO WA SUBETE KIMI GA OSHIETE KURETA (You Taught Me All the Important Things) is very realistic. It is not CHILDISH. It is HEARTWARMING, BEAUTIFUL & TOUCHING. Don't expect this to be like those typical romantic dramas that mainly focus on how two individuals fall in love. This drama shows a different side of LOVE & LIFE. It shows how DIFFERENT people CHANGE & GROW because of LOVE. It gives the word LOVE a much more deeper meaning.

Though the story was serious and was kind of heavy, it was not dragging and it was presented in a way that viewers would want to continue watching it 'til the end. It gives great impact and a lot of lessons. One would also learn to love each characters as the drama goes on. Music was just right and goes well with the emotions the drama is trying to give to its viewers.

This is one of those dramas that after watching it, you would realize a lot of things. One of those dramas that as the characters in the story changes, you could also feel that something deep inside you has changed. You would also learn as the characters in the story are learning. A must watch drama. A drama worth remembering.

saka_xd
Oct 27, 2011
Overall this drama was decent. It was very dramatic, but in a way that wasn't very predictable. In the end, I found that the character's decisions were very unexpected despite how realistic their decisions were. Usually in dramas like this, there is some unexpected twist that is completely unrealistic, but the realism in this drama was very well done. The characters in this drama all have a major flaw, or more than one, but this is developed to show how they improve on their flaw later on in life. If you like slice of life dramas with no real substance then I would recommend this as a mere entertainment rather than something to obsess over.

JCKdorama
Apr 24, 2011
This drama was just okay for me. I love the actors in this drama, but the characters were lacking which I think was more from the script than their acting. Miura's character seemed like he could not make up his mind and was very frustrating, and his relationship with the student was unclear throughout the drama. Some of the supporting characters also lacked a good background story. I didn't really like the P!nk soundtrack either and really only fit half of the situations. It is pretty realistic in terms of how the situations would be handled and the morals it taught. And I also thought the ending was good. While this wasn't one of my all time favorites, it is worth a watch if you have some spare time on your hands.

alwayswhimsical
Jun 12, 2011
Overall this drama is pretty good, but not amazing. It is not heart-wrenching but it had enough drama to keep me entertain. There are some plot holes (Shuji got drunk enough to forget what happens but not drunk enough to get a hangover) but they aren't major so it can be ignored. The high point of Taisetsu is the actors/actresses. Although Takei Emi is a new actress, she did an amazing job. She had the most complex character in this drama and I wouldn't want anyone else to act it. Toda Erika was amazing as always and so was Miura Haruma but Takei really surprised me. In the beginning, I didn't like Takei's character but I began to sympathize with her throughout the drama. Miura's character, Shuji, on the other hand, really annoyed me. Shuji is one of the most fickle and indecisive character that I have ever seen. Everything about him is unclear (his relationship with the student, his feelings for Natsumi, what he wants to do in life, etc...). Even though he says that he loves Natsumi, I didn't really feel that he did. The music in this drama is different from other Japanese dramas in that it is entirely made out of English songs. The soundtrack doesn't always fit the moment but I did enjoy some of the songs. I would recommend this drama to someone who wants to watch something realistic.

Sheng Her
Dec 11, 2014
If you want to watch something serious and meaningful, this is the drama for you. This is truly a gem in the world of j-dramas.

This drama is very well written. The storyline and the characters were very realistic. I felt like I could really identify with the characters, their feelings, their motives and the decisions they made. So many times when Shuji made an odd decision or did/said something unorthodox, I wanted to understand the reasoning behind it. Other times, I just wanted to slap some sense into him. They way the writers wrote the story, I couldn't tell for a long time who was supposed to be the female lead. Even though my conscience says one thing, I was confused as to which girl I was supposed to be rooting for to end up with Shuji (or if I should be rooting for Shuji's happiness at all). I couldn't tell if Shuji had romantic feelings towards Natsumi/Saeki, or if he was just being a nice guy. The characters are incredibly complex and showed many sides to them. The actors and actresses are so talented and did such an amazing job, especially Miura Haruma, Toda Erika and Takei Emi (this is my first time watching Takei Emi).
The music was great. The prelude was so beautiful and touching. I think some of the insert songs have swear words in them though lol (they're english pop songs). But they're properly placed and generates the right mood for the scene.
It can be a little predictable, but for the most part it's not. There were twists that were unexpected that weren't over the top, but enough to make it dramatic and make you want to find out what's gonna happen next. I think the drama did lose a little steam at the end, but you become emotionally invested in the characters and want to find out what's going to happen to them.
One thing I did not like is how serious the students were and their feelings towards their teachers. Hiraoka and Saeki were serious in wanting an actual relationship with their teachers. It's uncomfortable to think about, but i guess it does happen in real life since we hear of teachers having inappropriate relationships with students.

pammo1949
Jul 31, 2017
This was my weekend binge drama after watching movies for a respite. The title was strange so I was curious ---once I started the drama it took 10 minutes to be hooked. This drama was only 10 episodes but it held my undivided attention for 7 straight episodes -- then it faltered a little and I wondered was I being suckered into another good story with a poorly written ending. Much to my surprise it picked up and completed the story line with enough points to garner a 9 rating out of 10. I always enjoy a drama when I have out loud opinions about the characters -- like "HE IS A JERK". or ""SHE IS JUST STUPID" or I would have reacted differently. But this drama challenges you to evaluate exactly how you would react if faced with the same situation or similar situation. The male lead was the weakest character in acting and role definition but the females were stellar in their emotional expressions and investment. This drama is one that garners discussion - parent/child/friend/teacher - group therapy.

Dandelion
Feb 8, 2018
This drama is a total nightmare. The story is forced to be too melodramatic and unlogical. The main lead is a complete fool to stay with the whack headed student. The story went sooo slow that I don't think there is any meaningful progress at all. At one point, I just skip it a lot to see ending. The ending is forced and unsatisfying. I'm not sure about the character growth at all... Overall, this drama is not worth your time. You will get upset all the time. So don't watch it. I warn you owo"/
mecchaumai
Jul 6, 2018
Why does this have such high reviews? I'm guessing it's because of the cast? And because the people leaving negative comments below haven't made a review? I'm going to be honest, this drama is nothing more than ... okay. Probably a waste of your time.

Let me get to my reasons:

1) The plot does not move ANYWHERE. Things happen (some), yes, but there is hardly any shift in the characters and their personalities. To be fair, I don't think there is even enough that happens to warrant 10 episodes.

2) I may get some hate for this one... the cast... I like looking at Miura Haruma & Toda Erika as much as the next person but, lets be real here, they both cannot act. Their characters are unintentionally the same as every other role I've seen them in. Takai Emi was the best (main actor) of a bad bunch. I've given a few extra points for the acting because of a few of the supporting cast.

3) Illogical character development. I know I said there is hardly any shift in the characters, that's true. But there is some. Unfortunately when there is, it is illogical and not backed up properly. It is just like suddenly there is a lightswitch flicked inside of them. Most of the time, I can see where they were trying to come from, but the changes are too sudden and there doesn't seem to be enough reason behind the changes.

4) I don't know who the drama is trying to get the viewer to root for? I disliked all of the characters, apart from a couple of the supporting classmates. I think it tries to give reasons to like all the characters, however their flaws outweigh their good points. I also do not think they were given enough chance to be 'redeemed'. Hikari intentionally blackmails the other characters (without spoiler) and throws a ball in Natsumi's face. She never apologises though and is self-pitying. Natsumi is a doormat, too forgiving and weak. Shuji is selfish. I am going to post more in a spoiler in the comments about this. If you are going to watch it, it may spoil it, but he is a frustrating character. I sometimes like dramas with no likeable characters, however in this one, I don't like how the drama attempts to cover up their flaws, without a big enough change or a chance to redeem them.

5) I didn't mind PINK as the soundtrack... I wish they'd have matched scenes better though.

---

Otherwise, it's literally just okay. I don't think it's worth watching. There are better dramas on the topic, I'm sure.

manggang_hilaw
Oct 20, 2016
STORY:
Honestly, I was a bit hesitant about watching this drama a few years ago. I thought it was too heavy for me but watching the first episode got me hooked and until now I still watch some of its episodes because it's just so realistically inspiring. The idea that the drama revolved around the mistakes of the main characters was so appealing to me that I cry when they cry because I really feel emotionally absorbed while watching the drama. I think the drama portrayed that humans are naturally pure and honest - that we make honest mistakes but we can always make up for it with sincerity and genuine desire for change.

CAST/ACTING:
I considered watching this drama solely because of Miura Haruma and I thank him for always being just so good. Erika Toda and Emi Takei are just as amazing as Haruma.

MUSIC:
Although sometimes the lyrics of the songs are irrelevant, using Pink's voice for this series was a good move by the producers. The song "F. Perfect" blended really well with the drama's plot.

OVERALL:
This is one of my favorite dramas of all time so in my biased opinion, I highly recommend this series even to beginner Jdrama fans. This is the other side of the rom-coms and suspense thrillers that Japanese TV series are popular with.

Amy T
Jun 6, 2017
Really enjoyed this one a lot. The acting is very well done, the story is compelling, and I really enjoyed the ending. A definite must-watch.