• Last Online: Sep 11, 2017

addicted2dramas

Asia
Nobuta Wo Produce
Aug 31, 2012
Move over Hana Yori Dango or Hana Kimi. This is definitely the best Jdrama I have seen till date. This is what I call a must-see. Even people who generally don't like Japanese dramas should watch this because they don't know what a marvelous show they are missing out on. I am so thrilled that I watched it because these kinds of shows nowadays are rare.

While the story of the show is nothing out of the ordinary, it turned out to be a lot different from what I expected. I thought it would turn out to be predictable and cliche from start to end, but it left me pleasantly surprised at a lot of places. There were certain twists that I had thought would happen but they were pretty different from what I was anticipating. Also, the ending was also contrary to what was expected. It was not at all obvious. I would have liked to make a lot of changes to it, but the current one makes great sense.

While the characters weren't extraordinary, their traits were very relatable. I only found Nobuka's character to be having very unbelievable and fictional traits. I don't know why there is a trend of certain dark and depressed females in Japanese dramas. These depressed females all have the same of look of the ghost from Ring movie. But I suppose it adds to the fun part. But really, I have neither seen nor heard about people like her so I can't say if it was based on fact or entirely imaginary.

I didn't like Shuji that much for the majority of the show because there seemed to be no character development at all till the last three episodes or so. Even Nobuka's character hardly grew. That was very unsatisfactory. Also, the most ridiculous thing was that while almost all situations were being dealt practically, why couldn't just Nobuka just go to a therapist to cure her mental issues? That part was very absurd. In spite of these shortcomings, Maki Horikita played the role excellently. She was very cute the way she kept nodding in a typical way. And the way she kept walking with her head hung low was very cute. The funniest scenes were the 'Nobuta Power Enter' ones. I can still laugh at that because it was done so well. Maki really proved to be a versatile actress and she has anyway done a lot of great shows.

The second guy, Akira was probably my favorite in it. I was so taken in by his character and loved him entirely till episode 6 or 7 because he seemed to be developing in the best way. Also, the actor Yamapi (who plays Akira) was simply brilliant throughout. During the last few episodes, the character of Akira stopped growing and became a victim of bad writing and inconsistency, hence reducing his charm. But it had nothing to do with the acting. Still, I cared more about him than other characters on the show.

And I was so impressed by Erika Toda. She's stunning and acts really well. I can't wait to watch her in Liar Game! I was so happy to find out she is the lead star of that show! I was worried during this show's progress that she would turn out to be the antagonist and thankfully that didn't happen, so I was happy in that aspect. She played a sweet girl and came off as very likable. Shuji was an idiot for not falling for her.

And I have to mention the character of the vice principle. Her character was pure genius. All the best scenes and dialogues went in her basket. She is the perfect kind of teacher that students can have. I would love to meet such a person in real life. It really was one of the best characters of the show with the best characterization, hands down.

Apart from all this, the sub plots were all excellent. Most of all this show portrays friendship very beautifully. Also subjects like teen depression, bullying and peer pressure are raised splendidly. Most of all, they provide with lessons to be learnt in the end. And the fact that life has to move on in spite of everything, and one should treasure the best memories of youth seem to be the core messages of the show. And of course, it tells us to live life fully and appreciate the life we have and the people we have around us.

The writing deteriorated in the last two episodes but it didn't go beyond a certain level of unreasonable. Plus, nobody overacted in this drama so I am thankful for that. It gets dragged a but but it is well within the limit of bearable. And for the rewatch value- it was enjoyable the first time so I am sure it can be watched again (even if I won't).

Sep 15, 2012
When I read its story and saw it had just one episode, I decided to watch it immediately. I am glad I did. It was a pretty good episodic tale. I love stories which have ghosts in them and if it is a ghost played by Park Shin Hye, of course I had to see it!

While the story is nothing extraordinary, it was pretty engrossing. It was well written and cute overall. It has the right amount of humor and emotions in it. The ending was particularly good. I really wish this was a full length drama. I hope they make something similar because that would be so good!

The actors acted well and the musical score was also good. I really enjoyed watching this and wish that there could be more such kinds of one-episode dramas made. It is really worth a watch. Definitely recommended!

Hope
Dec 1, 2014
Definitely not a movie for the casual viewer. This has to be one of the most heart-wrenching movies I have ever seen. It was horrifying and saddening to know that this took place in reality. It tells the story of the infamous Nayoung case of South Korea and captured the pain as much as possible. Every bone and fiber in my body felt the little girl's pain. I cried when she cried and laughed when she laughed.

This movie is a true masterpiece by all aspects. It was so warming and I felt like it hit me in all the right places. Nothing felt overdone or underdone and the cast did a wonderful job of portraying people suffering from grief and tragedy. Although the movie is sad, it also has immense hope in it, much like its namesake. It is all about picking yourself up from the downsides of life and moving on with a smile. It forces you to think about all the harsh realities of the world and question the thin line between justice and fairness.

I have to really, really commend the stellar performances but on by the little girl and the actors who played her parents. It was too good to be true and felt too real. For a while, I lost myself in the movie and forgot that what I was seeing on my screen was not real. The irony is that it is real and at the same time not real. My heart goes out to the family of Nayoung and hope she is doing well in real life.

However, the reason to watch this movie is mostly to take a cue from it and smile in your life. This movie is indeed very inspirational and the direction is flawless. There are no bits of it I would want to change. Everything from the casting to the script were smooth and neat. A thorough masterpiece of a film that manages to capture a lot of reality and present it to you without any sugarcoat. It tells you how if you end up with a bitter candy, swallowing it won't make the bitterness go away. You rather have to live with chewing the candy and ingest the bitterness that comes along with it.

Do watch this movie if you are looking for something different. But be warned and prepare yourself with a box of tissues.

First of all- Japanese really know how to make dramas. They really know how to hit you right on the spot. 'You Taught Me All The Important Things' is a very accurate name for it. If I had to describe it as briefly as possible- I would say this is literally about learning the important things in life, and how these situations or lessons can help you grow up.

We get to see the story in two parts- one where the story begins and other six months later. It had me entertained, frustrated, depressed and happy. But only when a story manages in getting the right reactions out of you, you can say it was successful. And this definitely was. I was on a ride with all its characters throughout the span of 10 episodes. I can't believe how quickly it ended.

It has one of the most well-shot emotional scenes I have seen in dramas yet. The last two episodes had moments which had me close to tears. Some scenes were plain beautiful. Plus, the dialogues are exceptionally well-written. The OST was also great. Pink is one of my favourite singers and I liked the songs they picked. The background score is beyond amazing. I will keep listening to it until I get bored.

This is the kind of drama that you either love or hate. It might require some patience towards the middle of the story, but it is all worth it in the end. The plot loses its colour in this part, but I still wanted to know what would happen. I was very invested in the characters. Though its ending is predictable, it is difficult to guess anything in between. The writer will manage to provide you with a good twist every other episode.

It has some pretty solid characters. It reminded me of how humans really are like. All characters act in a way that would turn you off, but at the end of the day they are presented as very ordinary human beings. And that is how we all are- flawed. And we all make mistakes. This is exactly what the characters do- they screw up, but they also learn from their mistakes and move on. The character depth of Hikari was tremendous. She is initially presented as a thoughtless, immature bad girl to us. But in fact, she is lonely and has serious abandonment issues. I really loved how she grew up by the end. Also, the struggle of Natsumi touched me. She shows how important it is to keep fighting and never give up hope. On the other hand, I was pissed at Shuji. He was hard to like till the end. He has some good things about him too, but the bad ones really annoyed me.

There were some scenes of the school which didn't get through me. I don't know how it is in Japan, but isn't the private matter of teachers to not be discussed with the students? I didn't get why Shuji was so openly talking about his personal problems with the students. That was super weird. Maybe it had to with his honesty? I am confused about that.

As for the ending- it was perfect. Just how things should have been. This is the first ending that left me totally satisfied because it provided closure to each and every character. And every one got what they wanted. What better way than this to end a drama?

So, this drama is not just for light viewing. Unless you have the patience to sit through a story where you can't enjoy unless you think- this isn't for you. If you're up for complex stories, then go ahead. It will surely not let you down.

My Love Eun Dong
Sep 8, 2015
I just realized I hadn't written a review on it so here we go- My Love Eun Dong is one of the best dramas I have seen in 2015. I was a bit skeptical about starting it but the soundtrack sounded nice and the cast was good so I gave it a try. Once I started it I could not stop watching it. In fact, it's been months since I marathoned a drama like I did with this one. However, I somehow think this will go on to be one of the lesser popular dramas irrespective of how good it was. I think it's definitely underrated and sadly it will not everyone's cup of tea.

What I liked about the story was how it incorporated all K-drama cliches from years before and presented a nice, smooth story. The FEELS the drama gave me was immense. The main guy Ji Eun Ho has one of the purest loves ever in a kdrama. I loved how dedicated he was towards her and literally never thought of anyone apart from her, neither did he give up on their love.

This is one of those dramas where you won't be sure whether it will be a happy end or a sad end. The story is kind of sad throughout and when I imagined a sad ending, I really thought it would be hell depressing. But the fun part here is you won't be sure how the leads will EVER manage to have a romance or a proper relationship with each other. Plus, there are a few mysteries which keep the story interesting.

The drama is very much an old school kdrama with star-crossed lovers and a whole lot of scheming and manipulations. It was seriously so entertaining. The splendid chemistry between the leads only increased my awe for it and not lessen it in any way. The soundtrack is pretty good too.

Like all kdramas ever, the last four episodes are sort of a drag and you might find yourself skipping some scenes. I liked the ending a lot. It fit in nicely with the story. I think I made a good decision watching it but I am not sure if I'll rewatch since I hardly ever do. Highly recommended if you like melodramas and pure love stories.

Hana & Alice
Mar 13, 2013
I'm surprised that this movie doesn't have any reviews on the website. I am glad I am writing the first one because this movie deserves to be watched.

Hana and Alice is a story about two best friends and their friendship. Though the whole plot while centers around both falling for the same guy, it deals with a lot of other things too. Both girls are very likable but I felt like Alice made more of an impact on me. Some of its scenes were so realistic that I felt like I was actually watching these girls in reality.

I have to commend the director because he portrayed some parts beautifully and realistically. The film has impressive cinematography and a great background score. Although it runs longer than required, its artistic shots will keep you well occupied. Also these girls played their parts so well that I can't imagine them not being best friends off screen too.

The overall mood of the film is light and dreamy. It has a poetic feel attached to it and leaves you with a feel good factor. It is relatable in a lot of ways. I am sure most of us have had some problems with our best friends once in a while. I particularly liked the ending scene because it reminds us how much of good friends Hana and Alice are.

While it does have a few boring parts, I'd suggest you skip through them. If ballet suits your taste then it is a treat for you as there is quite of some screen time devoted to it. The film also have some good humourous moments and it will leave you with a smile at the end of the film. Definitely recommended.

Paradise Kiss
Sep 17, 2012
Paradise Kiss had been in my to-watch list for quite some time and it was a good movie. I have not seen the anime or anything so just as a movie, it was a good watch. I have a thing for chick flicks and this movie is just that.

With quite a simple story and even simpler characters, it was delightful to watch. This is another no-brainer, but a nice one nonetheless. I am not fond of anime humour getting injected in every Japanese film or drama, so this one was good for a change in that aspect. The actors were good and I really liked the chemistry between the two leads. Also, this movie lives upto its name 'Paradise Kiss'. It has a couple of kissing scenes which were the best I have seen in anything Japanese so far.

The film primarily focuses on fashion, so the clothes were great in this one. While it drags out longer than required, it is a relaxing movie. Just grab a bowl of popcorn and watch it when you're bored. It will surely provide you with good humour and some cute romantic moments.

A Frozen Flower
Sep 23, 2012
I am sort of having mixed thoughts about this film. While two thirds of it was cool, the last parts especially the ending- were terrible. This could have so easily become a masterpiece if not for some of the stuff included in it. The story was pretty good and new to me, so I enjoyed that but its conclusion was very disappointing. However, I still commend the film maker for such a daring attempt like 'A Frozen Flower'- something that I have not seen in any Asian movies so far.

This is a movie only for adult viewers with open thinking. Most of the film revolves around homosexuality and includes several graphical sex scenes and nudity. So I would advise every one to carefully consider about its aspects before deciding to watch this. Some of the stuff may offend you. It was very surprising to watch at times, because I didn't imagine that Korean movies could include so many tabooed issues in the same film.

Apart from that, the movie had spectacular direction. Its settings and filming locations were exquisite. The action was also quite good. The romance part was quite touching and the cast put on some great performances. There was just one particular part throughout the whole film that creeped me out in such a way that I had to take a moment to collect myself before continuing to watch it. However, lots of aspects of this movie are realistic and not unheard of. It also touches upon a variety of emotions throughout the duration of 2 hours and 15 minutes.

But due to the immensely disappointing last half, I am going to say the whole experience of the film got ruined. I am struggling to remember the parts I enjoyed while writing this because otherwise the whole film got damaged. Watch this movie at your expense. It hardly serves as entertainment.

Ring
Nov 19, 2012
If I remember correctly, this was my first ever Japanese movie that I saw on TV years back. Being a die-hard fan of horror movies, I consider this one as the 'Original' that spawned so many similar creepy movies in not only Asia- but also in the United States. I rewatched it again recently, and found that I love it just as much as I did before.

I honestly love this story. The ghost girl Sadako is... excuse me- awesome. She's a cool ghost! :D I love the kinds of events that take place in the film. The protagonist's character is excellent. The writer of the novel is nothing short of a genius because he twisted the original folktale in his own way. The director also adapted the novel in a different way and made it stand out. The direction is great. Kudos to the screenplay writer too! Most of the horror films made never make sense, but this one does. The backstory almost feels deep.

It has a nice piano tune in some of its scenes. The rest of the film is comparatively quiet and moves at a consistent pace. The ending was left in such a way that it was fulfilling as well as it left room for infinite sequels.

For me- this film is one of the few masterpieces in the horror genre. I can watch it any number of times and not get bored. Highly recommended!

Love 911
Jun 17, 2013
Awwww. This was such a great movie. I love it when expectations are delivered well!

A great storyline, solid cast and some incredible romance is all I look for when I want to watch a romantic movie and this one had it all. I am a sucker for cuteness along with hotness which the couple in this movie possessed. :D

I have been repeatedly let down in the past by a lot of movies- be it lack of romance, excessive melodrama, lack of decent kisses/chemistry between the leads or a sad ending. However this one did not disappoint me. The leads acted well, had good chemistry and were very pleasant on the eyes. The movie has a few sad parts but it's not too overwhelming. The romance was sweet without being cheesy and the humor was good without being over the top. Every thing was just in the right amounts.

Sometimes it's good to see the girl doing the chasing than the guy. It wasn't done in a horrible way. It was just kind of sweet and the guy was too. I loved the certain innocence their love had. I liked their kisses as well. There is also a minor side romance which was also cute. The only thing I didn't like was that a couple of things in the story were not required but it seemed like they were included just to make the movie longer.

The best part was definitely the ending. It was cute and reminded me of Bollywood movies. LOL. So I'd recommend to every person who wants to watch something light with a bit of seriousness. It sure won't disappoint.

1 Litre no Namida
Nov 7, 2012
I think ever since I have known that there are such things called 'dramas', this particular one called '1 Litre of Tears' exists. Wherever I looked for drama recommendations this one was always included. Now I know why. 1 Litre of Tears falls nothing short of a masterpiece. While I sincerely wanted to rate it 10 there were a couple of characters that bugged me so I'll give it a 9.

The story is absolutely brilliant. The fact that this happened in reality and that there are still thousands of people suffering from this disease is truly saddening and heartbreaking. I can the portrayal of a person's disability in it was 100% accurate. It was so realistic that I felt like it was actually happening in front of me. The main cast gave outstanding performances- especially Sawajiri Erika. She was so convincing that I felt her pain.

Apt to its title, this drama could make you cry a lot- depending on you. I am going to confess that there were a few times I absolutely teared up. In fact, I think not tearing up while watching this would be inhumane. Anybody who is capable of feeling sorry for the physically disabled or people suffering from painful diseases will be able to feel it here too. Aya (both the fictional and real one) is a very inspiring person. The things she recorded in her diary is deep and moving.

The way they showed the transformation of an ordinary girl's life after she encounters Spinocerebellar Atrophy was the main focus of the drama. More than her struggle, it was also focused on how it affects those around her- be it friends, parents, siblings, teachers or regular people you meet on the street. It makes me think of all the physically disabled people I have seen in public. I think I can understand their feelings more clearly now.

This drama is almost like a documentary made on Aya's life. Neither is it happy to begin with nor does it end happily. But the sadness and tears aren't the only things in it. Most of all- it will remind you to treasure life and be thankful for what you have. There's a deeper underlying meaning to it too. It also showcases the kindness and cruelty of humans and their attitude towards such people. In a lot of countries, people are still not aware of hardships such people have to go through and treat them badly. Just like Aya said, "Why did it choose me?" The matter of falling ill was not by choice but only cruel fate.

This drama is one of the rare gems that you should definitely not miss out on. Watching it once was enough for me, so no rewatch value where I am concerned.

Twenty Years Old
Jan 5, 2014
Nowadays short Korean dramas seem to be in trend and they seem to be themed on youth. I watched this thinking it would be similar to Adolescence Medley but it turned out to be better. It was a very light watch and filled with sweetness. It was almost like sugar, candies and rainbows.

I didn't know that Ki Kwang could act this well. He was really charming and made himself believable as him (since he played himself here). I've never the main actress before but she was too cute for words. I usually have a problem with girls behaving like eight-year-olds but this girl was too likable. She didn't annoy me at all. Her chemistry with Ki Kwang was explosive. Their romance was wonderful and oh my- the kisses!! It wasn't just one or two open-eyed ones, there were many cute ones.

A few parts of the drama towards the end felt dragged to me so that's the reason I'm docking off a point. It wasn't perfect. It's just a feel-good kind of a story with solid puppy love!

This drama is fairly short with the length of a movie and that makes it an easy watch. It's something to watch with a bowl of popcorn in your hand while you sit in your PJs on a lazy Sunday. Go watch it now! You will not regret it.

Reply 1994
Apr 5, 2014
I am glad that I watched this drama but more glad that I was able to finish it (phew!). I think Reply 1994 is a good drama on its own, whether or not I compare it to its mega popular and one of my all-time favourites predecessor. Being the second season, not comparing the two was impossible for me no matter how much I tried.

There are both pros and cons in this drama. I prefer the love triangle in 94 much, much more than the one in 97. Overall, the characters in this drama were almost equally as good as in 97 (or in some cases- even better).

For starters, Na Jeong was quite funny and likable. According to me, it's hard to beat Sung Shi Won played by Eun Ji in 97 but nonetheless, Go Ah Ra did a great job of playing the main character. The rest of them were great in their roles too but the character of Chilbong stands out a bit more for me. I didn't feel like the writer fully utilized his character. Yoo Yeon Seok however did a splendid job with the way he played Chilbong. Applause to him for making me love him so much and making his character feel so real! Then there's Jung Woo who played Trash oppa. I failed to fully connect to his character, maybe due to the way it was written or due to the lack of acting skills of the actor. I don't know who to blame here. I honestly felt like Trash's character had more depth to him than was delivered- which is just sad.

I now understand why this drama had countless shipper wars. My biggest complaint with the love triangle was why drag it out so much when one guy didn't even stand a proper chance from the beginning? Na Jeong clearly loved one and one only from the start. I did like both guys but the outcome was too predictable. Of course, the writer tried to 'confuse' the viewers but I could easily sense the direction it was going in. Better luck next time, writer-nim!

The thing that makes this drama stand out is the band of realistic characters, their unbreakable bonds, unforgettable friendships and love for each other. Mixed in with the nostalgia of the 90's this was surely a recipe for success. I must say it delivered exceedingly well on this front.

Its other great strength lies in its deeply likable cast where there wasn't a single annoying person! Its OST is pretty good too and is sure to keep me listening for days.

Btw I HAVE to mention the cameos of the cast of Reply 97! They were so hilarious that I wanted to kick out the 94 part and let them stay instead. :D This came as a plus to me because they entered the drama right when the plot started becoming stale.

In spite of the many moments that made this drama super likable, there were an equal number of scenes during which I found myself hitting the fast forward button. Why, writer-nim could you not make this drama shorter? What made Reply 1997 work was its shorter length and ability to not drag out as much as regular dramas tend to do. This drama's duration of each of the 21 episodes made watching a tedious task. The downside of having a drama stretch more than it can eventually tires out the viewer thereby decreasing the overall enjoyment.

Had it been shorter and not as repetitive, I would have said that this drama was better than Reply 1997 in a lot of ways. It probably is. Being the same kind of story, by the end it managed to touch me and thus left me with the happy and warm feeling that it sought out to do. :)

My Rainy Days
Sep 4, 2012
I picked out this movie randomly by looking at the poster. While I expected an immature girl falling in love with her professor, it turned out to be different from what I thought. It was a sweet and touching story. Also, it has its light moments and the rest of it was kind of serious. It was a fairly engrossing film. I cared about the characters and was fairly interested in the plot till the end.

A relationship between a 17 year old girl and a 35 year old guy seems creepy, and if not portrayed correctly it can go terribly wrong. However, this has to be one of the best student-teacher relationships that I have seen. They were very likable together and none of it seemed forced or stupid. Both the older guy and the younger girl had solid reasons to fall for someone so unexpected. I really liked their love. And I was touched by the girl. In the beginning, she is a bad girl. As in real bad- she works as a prostitute and bullies others. When it seemed like she hardly had any redeeming qualities, she changes completely. It's basically about character development which was the focus point of the story. The girl turns into a very nice and serious person. She stops fooling around, studies hard and changes her ways entirely.

The best thing about their relationship was that she changes a depressed, anti-social person to a happy and expressive person. And while she seems so mature in front of her friends, she acts exactly her age with her teacher. She is attracted to his serious side and he falls for her youthfulness. It was very sweet to watch them together.

Another good thing was that we get informed of the incoming "serious" problems beforehand in the first scene itself. I hate when things drop in on the viewer unexpectedly, out of nowhere! I would have liked to focus a bit more on how she became a bad girl because I found that rather interesting.

The movie has a fairly good star cast and I particularly liked the main actress. She was pretty and was able to act well. I also loved the clothes she wore throughout the film. She even made carrying umbrellas look trendy! She had a pretty magnetic personality. I was also happy with the direction of the film. It was not a well written screenplay and there were a lot of inconsistencies with the plot and pace. But that part gets compensated with good cinematography. Even the soundtrack is cool. I loved the songs they played in the background, plus they were in English so I will probably download the soundtrack later.

Anyway, the movie is overall a very nice effort from the director and writers. While it is not THE best, but it is still great and manages to get its point across to the viewer. It made good sense.

I will definitely rewatch it again when I feel like it.

Love Shuffle
Sep 21, 2012
I am so happy I watched this drama! I had been holding it for a while because I wanted to watch it in a relaxed state of mind. It is a fairly refreshing drama. It has a very captivating plot and most of it fairly original. While exchanging of partners in movies not unheard of, this drama presents that concept in a whole new light. It has its shortcomings, but I think this show truly deserves a rating of 10.

In some aspects, I can say this show comes close to being genius. Hats off to its writer because he wrote one of the most challenging stories involving romance that I have come across in quite a while. I can say that the first seven episodes were absolutely not predictable. I am generally very good at guessing things, but this show proved me wrong every time. Even after a certain 'twist' at the end of episode 7, I was pretty sure about the outcome of the story and even that left me in surprise. This is the reason why this show has very few dull moments. There is always something that you won't see coming in every episode that takes place that thoroughly makes you laugh. It is a rather bold drama compared to regular Jdramas with few scenes of intimacy. It would appeal to a more mature audience. Also, people tired of cliches should definitely go for it.

This show has a good cast and the acting department was quite good. There were a couple of characters that came off as annoying- especially Usami but there were lots of other things that kept me occupied. Dynamics between all characters have been explored fully. The ending felt sort of forced, but even that ended up being funny. Every time a serious situation sprouts up, it eventually turns into comedy. It is a very lightweight drama. I loved the role of Matsuda Shota the best because his character was that of a playboy photographer. He carries out roles of bad boys pretty well. His female counterpart was ridiculous but I kind of fell for it too by the end.

Also, the psychology involved in the story is pretty interesting. Almost every theory they put forward made sense and could not be argued against. The psychologist's character was a freaking genius. He very splendidly changed his shades from good to bad and back again. Airu was also a solid character among all females. Right from the scene where they all get stuck in the lift, she became my favourite.

This drama has great comedy, good romance and great entertainment value. It makes you laugh without being too ridiculous, gives you romance without being cheesy and entertains you till the end. This is a highly recommended drama!