The website is currently undergoing maintenance. Sorry for the inconvenience.
The Princess Wei Young

• Members: 4,755

The Princess Wei Young (2016)

dramafreakboy
Dec 6, 2016
You know how, when you stumble on something so exciting and amazing that you just can’t help but tell your friends about it, even if it means going off on a tangent? This is that time, you guys.
Basically, it doesn’t matter if you don’t usually watch dramas from China, or if you don’t usually watch period dramas, or if you don’t usually watch long dramas. This drama is, objectively speaking, so splendid and magnificent that if you don’t check it out, you’d be missing out. Big Time.
Not even exaggerating, by the way.

1. The polish : Everything is carefully, lovingly, beautifully shot, costume and background music, everything is precisely, just-so perfect

2. The acting :The cast is a sprawling one, as befits the scale of the story, and from the principal characters to the secondary characters, to even the small, incidental characters, every single one is well-acted with his/her unique character, character development and plot twists adds a lot to the story and each character

3. The Romance : THE BEST, Great chemistry between the two main leads, with UH-Mazing cute scenes.

4. sisterhood and motherhood : this close palpable relations between main leads and secondary characters are so breath taking.

5. The villains : with their acting forced to hate them more and more with every passing episode.. they did great job

What a breathless, breathtaking journey. Equal parts brilliant and satisfying, and executed with such meticulous, fine care, The Princess Wei Young is definitely a drama for the record books.

moondust
Dec 9, 2016
What a journey for Weiyoung. Though the latter half of the drama fell from grace somewhat, certain elements stuck through and made it overall an enjoyable watch. But it did not deserve 54 episodes of repetition that got seriously old past the halfway mark.

Story (6/10): For those who read the novel and are curious about the drama version, it would be wrong to even call it an adaptation for it is nothing like it. "Inspired by" is far more fitting and is to be used loosely here. In a nutshell, the drama version of Princess Wei Young is about a Liang princess who tries to avenge her fallen kingdom by taking up the identity of a forgotten, illegitimate daughter of a Prime Minister in the enemy state of Wei and along the way meets those who either want her dead or love her for her wits, character and bravery. Of course, the drama is littered with people who want her dead because how else will we know she is the heroine?

The premise is exciting enough, though nothing entirely original. But it did deliver in terms of entertainment for the first half and had everything you would want in a drama: good pacing, decent story, romance, action, a likable and brainy female lead who isn't afraid to punish her enemies seeing as this is a revenge drama. Then up until halfway, the story soon became draggy and repetitive with similar conflicts in different guises, lack of development/depth in characters who even seems to have gone through reverse development all of a sudden. Even Weiyoung who was supposed to be resourceful yet showed signs of being a damsel-in-distress in the presence of her Prince Charming (aka. Tuoba Jun), completed the transformation into a full on Mary Sue and in my opinion, stopped being everything we loved her for in the beginning. It no longer became a tale of retribution or justice, but pure laziness on the writers' part.

I blame the production for dragging the series out to 54 episodes, when it could have - and should have- wrapped up by 30-40 episodes.

Acting (7.5/10):

All I can say is if there is anything worth watching here, it's the chemistry between the leads Luo Jin and Tiffany Tang. The type to give you butterflies from the way they look at each other. Luo Jin is such a wonderfully talented and natural actor, he never overacts and his crying scenes are so well done. Not usually impressed by Tiffany Tang, but she did well here and I think a lot of it has to do with her chemistry with Luo Jin (4th collaboration and reel to real relationship!)
Didn't think much about the rest of the cast in terms of acting, but a few grew into their characters as the show went on. Vanness there is something awkwardly charming about the way he portrays his character - it grows on you even though his character becomes gradually more despicable. His dubber deserves a star.

Rewatch: For the romance maybe, and especially strong beginning up until episode 30 or so. Could skip the rest until the end. But sadly no, won't be rewatching this personally.

I almost feel like the drama deserves two ratings, one for the beginning up until episode 33 then for the rest.

Patricia
Dec 10, 2016
The story

Based on a book and on a real life empress, Princess Wei Young depicts the fight of a woman for justice and her love for a man that loved her back in equal measure despite the political plots, vengeful twists and turns and machinations to keep them apart. The drama however masked under a quest for vengeance is a pursuit of happiness in the form of love, greed, revenge, ambition and desire for power which contrasts with the reality of ancient times where love didn't rule the world and women were nothing more than possessions to be disposed off by their fathers into marriage to strengthen their family's power.

The characters and performances

Wei Young is an interesting character albeit mellow and reactive; she's doesn't set the pace, she follows it. She's soft even when she can't be bordering on aloofness, a contradistinction with her strength and drive on paper and most likely with her real life persona. Wei Young ought to be fierce, driven, determined, proactive and engaging, but she's not yet somehow despite the flaws the character is likeable.

Touba Jun looked most often than not a lovesick man pining for the woman he loves. Without the period wardrobe he would be just another contemporary man running after his love. For a male lead he lacks spunk which might be attributed to how the character was written or how the director wanted it to be performed. Regardless Touba Jun is visually appealing to watch on screen therefore what is lost in character is gained in beauty, not entirely a bad thing if the drama was a period adaptation of Boys over flowers in the palace.

Chang Ru and Touba Yu are machiavellian scene steallers. Chang Ru is a weed pretending to be a naive flower that uses people to accomplish her own personal agenda without them knowing about it. Clever, manipulative and ambituous, she's an expert at deception like Touba Yu, the man she loves; the man that wants Wei Young. Both characters are complex and have such a strong presence on screen, that is fascinating to watch despite all their plotting and coniving misdeeds.

The music

The opening theme is A-Lin's A Moment ir Romance, a sweet ballad about loving someone until one has to say goodbye, wanting to be together. The closing theme, Gifted is sang by Princess Wei Young's leads Tang Yan and Luo Jin. Both reflect the story well and are sang beautifully.

Overall

An interesting story with a good cinematography, well crafted and visually stunning that is both enganging and moving, despite the flaws of the lead characters, that acted more like secondary characters in their own story. Someone's loss is another person's gain and Chang Ru and Touba Yu took the opportunity prsented to them and showcased episodes of pure magnetism on screen, therefore, for all the above I rate it 10 out of 10.

shushu
Dec 27, 2016
Truly an amazing Chinese drama! I love everything about this show. Even though it had 54 episodes, the show itself was very face pace along with the site that loaded the dramas made it seem like the show was really short. Definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys a variety in their drama such as romance, revenge and mysteries.
mobosies
Dec 21, 2016
I am not a fan of Chinese Dramas/productions, and I am not a fan of Historical dramas (especially ones where any main character is royal, NEVER a happy ending), but this drama... WAS AMAZING. To be perfectly honest, I only started this drama because the banner picture on dramafever intrigued me (it looked like Wei Young was wearing an Elizabethan era type dress/armour), and only continued to watch on a lark with my sister since Period Chinese things always have flying people (pretty cool/fun), but 40 episodes later and we are both reluctantly hooked.

This has definitely become one of the best dramas in my record books. Everything was amazing~ Beautiful story, excellent flow (there was only ONE episode that had me wondering if it was filler, but that might have been because the Male lead had been absent the past couple episodes and I was missing him by that point), excellent cast and acting, the characters were superb! Just enough depth to understand their view point, but not a boring tldr/too much useless information. One thing that did have me yelling at the screen a lot though was Wei Youngs insistence on playing the naive maiden. It was her "charm" or ploy, but it was still frustrating. She always seemed to only just wriggle out of a beheading..

Beautifully tragic! All you want is divine justice and a happy ending, but this drama keeps it so real.. Bad guys constantly on the upside (lets not kid ourselves here, that is the world we live in), but good and kind people still exist and persistently try to do what they know is right. Definitely worth the watch, and rewatch and rewatch and rewatch. So Beautiful. would recommend it to EVERYONE! the ending had me with goosebumps unwitting tear~ Brilliant.

ALEXANDRIA
Mar 20, 2017
JUST COMPLETED WATCH ALL 54 EPISODES IN 4 DAYS TIME. SUMMARIZED - IN MY OPINION, OVERALL IT'S QUITE AN AVERAGE TO GOOD SHOW. STORY LINE IS OKAY. BEGINNING THE FIRST 10 EPISODES IT GOES STRAIGHT TO THE POINT OF THE STORY AND IN BETWEEN FROM 25 - 37th EPISODES, IT GIVES AUDIENCE ( MYSELF ) A VERY ANGRY, DISAPPOINTED, DISGUSTED AND IRRITATED FEELING WITH CERTAIN PARTS OF THE STORY ACTUALLY IS QUITE AN UNNECESSARY WASTE OF TIME. BUT JUST BARED WITH IT, AFTER THAT THE STORY LINE GETS BETTER AS SLOWLY MORE EXCITING AND QUITE A FEW SURPRISES. ESPECIALLY THE ENDING LAST 3 EPISODES IT'S QUITE A SURPRISE OR UNEXPECTED. I RATE THIS SHOW 6 SCORES OVER 10. IF COMPARE TO LEGEND OF MIYUE OR THE EMPRESS OF CHINA, THIS STORY IS A LITTLE LESS GLORIOUS. IT'S MORE TO LIKE " THE LAST WOMEN STANDING ". AND IF IT'S FROM THE POINT ABOUT POLITICAL, AND COMPARE TO NIRVANA IN FIRE, THIS STORY IS FAR LESS COMPARED TO. SO FAR, ONE OF THE BEST STORY AND DAMP WORTH A WATCH IS NIRVANA IN FIRE.

BluishPhire
Dec 20, 2016
This is my first time writing a review so bare with me..

I started watching this drama because I liked the plot..It's more my style..and well Tiffany Tang is the leading actress what more can you ask for..

Well everything that you need to know about the drama you can see on my rating..
For me it was amazing.
The clothes and costumes were on point I really liked it.
the chemistry between actors and actresses were prominent and you can feel it through the screen.

The villains acting were superb they really make you hate them strait to the bone. If they were bad at acting I think you wont feel hatred towards them just pity them.

The script writer and the director for me were geniuses..They created a drama that cant easily be flawed..every hardship and conflict of the characters were well thought of..

I REALLY RECOMMEND IT..

Bonus for everyone who will love this drama..THE MAIN ACTORS ARE DATING IN REAL LIFE ^__^

AmieLee
Dec 11, 2016
love this drama so so so much! it was an emotional rollercoaster but the plot was great! highly recommend this, you can watch it on youtube on croton megahits channel, no subs tho :P

the scenes are beautiful but the clothes and hair accessories were kinda weird esp the ones for weiyoungs wedding and queen headdress, also i didn't like some of the actors, they just didn't fit some of their roles. love the songs they were so beautiful too
purplenette
Dec 22, 2016
OMG...PWY is both annoying and wonderful. I wasn't sure how to rate it so I gave it a middle score. Some of it was so monotonous that I almost quit watching it. The characters are good though...well, good at the beginning. The main female lead is smart and for once not so righteous as to not take revenge against her enemies. Her character stayed mostly true except some points of weakness that I thought were out of character. The love stories of even the secondary characters are nice. Also, there was plenty of great martial arts action. The problem is that the same scenario with slight variations was used over and over. Oh, and the fact that they constantly blamed everything on Wei Young as a reason to be hateful bitches. It was just too much sometimes. But as all Chinese historical dramas, the costumes, sets and cinematography was excellent. I might have given it a higher score if the ending had been different. No spoilers...so if you wanna know what i'm talking about, then pm me.

I don't know much about Chinese actors, but I have seen Tiffany Tang in several dramas now and she doesn't disappoint as Wei Young. Luo Jin is also excellent as Tuo Ba Jun with the right mix of strength and vulnerability. I enjoyed his character very much. I also thought they had great chemistry together. Vanness Wu played the villainous Tuo Ba Yu with gusto. I liked him in this better than anything else I have seen him in. The other actors ranged from great to blah.

The music is good.

i will never rewatch this.

As Chinese historical dramas go, this one is just so so. There are better ones out there.

Jasmine
Sep 11, 2017
Here's my attempt at writing an informative review without spoilers:

First off, I really, really liked this drama. I had been kind of put off dramas around the time this drama was released (last half of 2016) so I'm surprised I actually gave this a shot - but I am so glad that I did.

I would like to point out that I didn't have high expectations for it because Tang Yan's roles in her other dramas at the time were making me apprehensive towards her ability to make her characters at least likeable (ahem - Diamond Lovers, anybody?). Anyway, this drama totally reminded me why I used to love Tang Yan - she does an exceptional job bringing historical dramas to life! Everything about her character in this drama was on point; her strong personality that made her an independent woman, combined with her generosity, loyalty, empathy and grace, sucked all the drama's best men towards her - a typical, yet always enjoyable plot-essential in Chinese dramas.

The story itself was really unique for a Chinese historical drama - usually they reuse and repeat the same clichéd plot involving a palace, the Emperor, and most likely more than a couple Empresses, but this time they introduced a strong female lead, only disguised as a princess in distress in the first episode. I loved how smart she was, because this made her a heroine who the audience would actually feel proud of when she accomplished things.

The drama progressed at a good pace for me; it wasn't too slow (except maybe at the end, but it could be a lot worse) or too fast, and the chain of events were linked really well so it all flowed and there was no room for confusion (which I find can happen quite a lot in historical dramas, as they tend to fit in complicated plots and it ends up clashing or being left unfinished because it doesn't fit with the overall storyline).

The best part about this drama was probably the characters. Each actor/actress seemed to be handpicked to fit their role perfectly, and I feel like every character (even the evil ones) was able to grow on me by the end.

The costuming and design were all amazingly done and looked realistic - definitely essential for a high quality drama.

Although the tag says "tragedy," the story itself is entirely open to interpretation on whether or not it is a tragedy (as all dramas are), so definitely don't be scared by this! Tragedy itself comes in all forms, and it doesn't just mean the story is super depressing and tear-triggering (I can assure you, there are plenty of cute, heartwarming romance scenes between the two main characters.)

All in all, everyone should give this great romance/historical drama a try. If you love a strong, smart, yet loving heroine, good plots, evil characters who do grow on you, amazing character relationships, and visually appealing/eye-worthy images, then this is the drama for you.

herah
Jun 14, 2017
I just stumbled upon this on you tube and watched it because I saw Vaness Wu but my gosh this was one hell of a ride. It is an addition to my list of historical dramas. I did struggle to finish when I was already in episode 30 but nevertheless this drama is worth the time to watch. :)
MeghanBulawan
Jun 3, 2017
Oh man...This drama was fantastic. I literally just finished this drama two minutes ago and knew I had to write a review about it because it was this good. Usually I'm not the one to post things like reviews and comments but this drama is an exception. Warning: this review might be very long because there were many episodes so I have more to talk about
Story: 9.0/10
The story takes you on a journey of a girl and how she deals with trials and errors. And also meets a lover on the way. In all honesty, the only problem I had with the drama was that it was repetitive. To the point I had to skip some scenes because things kept on repeating. And I'm usually not the type of person to skip scenes. Other than that, it was very interesting and a thing I kept in mind was I had to remember new characters that were added to the story.
Acting/Cast: First impression was why did they choose this girl as the main lead? Well, after finishing every episode, I realized why. She was just amazing. That goes the same for Luo Jin and all the other actors in this show. Everyone played their role amazingly. And props to the villains in this drama because they did a good job for making me hate them so much.
Music: 8.5/10
I did not really pay attention to the music but hearing the opening song 54 times, it's pretty good. And they also played the songs at the right times in the drama.
Rewatch value:5.0/10
Mainly because there are so many episodes but I will probably go on youtube to go watch the cute little
clips that I liked in the drama :)