Master Devil Do Not Kiss Me 2

• Ranked: #2071

Richel
Apr 15, 2017
It’s been a solid period of time since I decided to allow this confused mess of a drama sink into my nerves, and seeing how the reviews are scarce in number, I thought I’d give potential viewers a rather large piece of my mind.

If you’re here and considering watching this, I’ll assume that you at least somewhat enjoyed the show to which this is a sequel. Master Devil Do Not Kiss Me sits somewhat high on my rom-com list despite being littered with Asian drama tropes (my favorite of which has to be "cohabiting rich guy and poor girl who refuses to take his crap but sometimes takes his crap anyway because dramaland"). It was youthful, cliched, yet endearing.

This sequel, though, was absolutely terrible in comparison.

There are cliches like in the prequel, which the writers delivered as cute and gave you some giggles. And then there are cliches like in this one, which will have you laughing psychotically as you sharpen your metaphorical knives and prepare to hunt down the people who turned the plot into absolute - for lack of a better word - horseshit.

It’s important to compare this sequel with its predecessor because it is a direct continuation from where MDDNKM left off. There are many problems to be resolved, particularly the one where the relationship between the two main characters remains very ambiguous. Yet, frustratingly, the second season never delivers satisfying closure to any of the questions you may have and instead piles on dilemma after dilemma that don’t serve any real purpose other than pissing you off.

If you have disdain for any of the following cliches (contains spoilers; but who’re we kidding, this show isn’t worth watching anyway): lying ex-girlfriends, clingy third wheels latching onto the male and female main characters, a lead couple whose most effective form of communication is giving one another the cold shoulder, ridiculous birth secrets, "the girl you like is actually blood related to you", etc.; ditch this drama now. It’s pathetic how bad this all became. Every single episode of this show became the longest 20 minutes of my life and I just about wished that I would spontaneously have responsibilities to attend to so I’d be put out of the misery of sitting through them.

The acting is okay. I liked the actors way more in the first season; which might have had something to with the characters’ quirks. Some aspects of them were endearing in the first season, but rapidly became extremely annoying in this one. See reference: Qi Lu deciding that every single time Chu Xia gets pissy with him, he’ll call her stupid or some other variation instead of asking “what did I do” like any normal human being would. Gets old when it happens every episode for 20 straight episodes, boy.

Also, I’d like to mention that the editors confused the hell out of me. Why on earth would you play fun, happy background music during a scene in which two antagonists are plotting how to get rid of their rival? Whenever this happened, I half-expected a squirrel to jump out and maul them or something else that would be entertaining, but nope. It would just be a possibly suspenseful scene, ruined by a playful little jingle in the background. It seriously ruins the mood.

In a way, I consider it intelligent that none of this content was included in the first season. The quality falls so short that it’d be a real shame to drag down the fun of the first season with this trash.

tl;dr: did the director hit his head during production and decide to continue being the director?

Dropped 23/23
Nana
Apr 2, 2017
Dropped 1
The story so far already had sexism everywhere, yet it was somehow bearable. Then, I started watching the second season and it was... terrible. As a woman I tried to empathize with the female lead feelings and when I did... Damn. I could have killed someone.

The rich male lead is an egoistic bastard who thinks of women as possessions. He doesn't trust Chuxia, not even tries, to be honest. the other characters are all bland and the storyline gets worse as it moves on.

Guys, if you are looking for a show with a male chauvinist lead and nothing but the same old and worn out cliches, this is it.

harukae
Feb 21, 2018
Ok lemme get this straight. I LOVED this drama.
I don't understand how anyone can start it thinking it's going to be a heavy, drama-filled series, which requires an important emotional involvement from the viewer. It's not; if that isn't clear by the plot summary, then it should be by the end of the first episode.
This show is full of imperfections that make it perfect. In fact, I completely disregarded those multiple small flaws because they naturally flowed with the story. There were no "wait - what ?" moments. Unlike many viewers, I never thought of banging my head on my keyboard because of incomprehension. I think those people think too much. There are dramas that simply don't require you to think about anything while watching them. "Master Devil Do Not Kiss Me" is one of those dramas.
It IS cliché-filled, but you can get that from the summary. Basically yet another Itazura na Kiss x Boys over Flowers adaptation.
The mood here however is different. First, because it's Chinese: it's a whole other culture. Second, because the episodes are short. A lot of things are bound to happen in a short span of time; we might leave an episode with X event and resume with an event Y, while only just lightly bushing the precedent subject.
Some cuts are really unprofessional and too obvious. But it takes nothing from the enjoyment away. The female lead is super cute, and, believe it or not, refreshing. She's not easily swayed by her lovers or feelings, she's cute without being over the top or too girly, and stands up for her values.

As for the so-called "chauvinism" and "sexism" in this drama.. I don't know what the people who said that are doing on this site ?? Violent hand grabbing, "you're mine" lines and such are an entire aspect of most Korean dramas and many other asian dramas. There IS a traditional conservative view of women. It's China after all. Personally, I've been more shocked throughout my life here in the West with the treatment of women, who are constantly over-sexualized in the media and society, than in China (from my limited view in dramas) At least they don't resort to stripping down a woman to get high audience rates ;-))

To conclude, an excellent (and by excellent, again, I don't mean it's perfect or flawless, just really good for what it is -) light drama, that I will most likely rewatch because it's fun and not too complicated to help with my learning and understanding of Chinese, along with the likes of dramas like Shopping King Louis or Sassy Go Go.

Nuella
Apr 2, 2017
the episodes so far has been interesting. pls upload the remaining episodes, episodes 12 - 23...thank you
Amy
Feb 28, 2018
I only decided to write one review for this series since Season Two is a straight continuation of Season One. An Chu Xia and Han Qi Lu are static and dynamic at the same time. As their relationship progresses from strangers that had a twist of fate meeting to something more, I found myself getting slightly addicting to this drama, just to see the ending (but more on that later on, if you want spoilers). I will admit the story is a bit bland and one noted, if not kind of messy, but it's still a decent plot that you can follow. The development is plotted more clearly towards the end of Season One and it's a bit more thought out throughout Season Two. I do find myself wishing they had a more in-depth explanation for things, where I do feel the ending was slightly rushed to this series because of that. Overall, it's a lighthearted romance that has points of humor and lots of drama and snakes (you have been warned about the snakes!). If you're like myself, you'll find a major dislike towards certain characters, even the main leads at times, but you'll probably enjoy it. The 46 episodes in total as a whole are better when compared to certain episodes and moments. Chu Xia is a character that really draws you in, because you never know her thoughts at times but you can read her like an open book the other times. Qi Lu is also quite the common cold-hearted boy that's had a grudge due to past experience, which is also what makes his character unbearable at times. The side characters are expressive throughout the series which is something I enjoyed more than usual. It's cute, nice, and definitely new to my taste in a way.

! Now, for the things I didn't like. Note, there WILL be spoilers: !

! You have been warned !

1. Han Qi Lu is insufferable due to  his trauma from Man Kui and it's honestly the reason that this drama kinda of dragged on, he's constantly acting in this personality of not really showing his feelings but also showing them in the wrong way, which is how Chu Xia interprets them half of the time. So, hate the character slightly, but not that much cause he has underlying good intentions.

2. Man Kui. Where to start? She's so manipulative you want to punch her in the face, even with the fact that her whole reason for coming back for the boy she left without thought is that her right hand is no longer able to perform. She's a TRUE SNAKE, on par with Xin Wei, that's for sure. Her actions are so easily overlooked because of Qi Lu's softness for her (?) I guess you could say? I think it's more of him still having slight feelings for her, but that's just how I saw it. Her character evens out in the end, but only after a lot of dragging on the series due to misconceptions.

3. Chu Xia and Qi Lu deserved a better ending in my opinion. The ending to this series wasn't fulfilling, and was more of a "up to your imagination" type of ending, which is the kind I mainly stray away from. It left a slightly bitter note for me since I was anticipating an ending that explained a lot more about what happened, and not just for them, but for the side characters also. I want to know if Xiao Nan got together with Chen Chuan, if Han Yu found someone, and whether or not Chu Xia and Qi Lu were able to stand the test of time and how their relationship was.

4. My final note on this drama is that I wish they properly started it. The first few episodes nearly discouraged me from continuing on with the drama (even though I pulled through) and was quite hard for me to understand. You're going from one minute where there's a fake hostage crisis to Chu Xia's mother dying and giving her organ(s) to the father of Qi Lu. This all leads to the set up of the story which I naturally understood, but the manner of the execution could've been improved in my opinion.

ririespanto
Apr 20, 2018
I really liked this drama "Master devil do not kiss me" from season 1 to season 2 and the reason why I liked this is especially because of the characters, ost's and the flow of the story. Everytime there is drama scene, I cant help but also to cry hahahah. I really love this series!! I hope there is season 3 pls!! I really love it and I just finished it today and now I cant help but to miss it. I love all the characters especially Li Hong Yi aka Han Qi Lu. He is so handsome!! and to know that he is still young at 19 years old, I can say that he is really a good actor indeed!! Wo ai ni han qi lu!!!

ash1995
im not satisfaid with the ending i thought that they will have a romance scene or something but it was boring and rushed it lasted for like 2 minutes i was like what the hell just happend i dind't enjoy the ending cause i was hoping it will be perfect and romantic cause the romantic scene between then in season 1&2 wasnt much at all so i hoped there will be more cause i realy liked the series but i didnt see what i hoped for :(
and in episode 16 in season 1 they were supposed to be wet from the rain but the moment they enterd the car they became dry i was like wow :O that's fast hhhhhh
and when they went to the hotel and he was talking to her on the other side of the bathroom door i found someone is leg on the bed with the sneakers i was like :l i dont know where was the filming cast when they were filming to make a mistake like that and there was alot of other mistakes that find sorry but i just have high observation even sor the simpel things but i still love the series :)