My Story for You (2018) poster

Aequitas
Jun 29, 2018
-----Story-----

Absolutely loved the story. I really enjoyed how everyone's stories were interconnected. I think it was really well executed. Having all these different stories going on and then all of the characters interacting, I was on the edge of my seat at lots of times wondering where the next twists and turns of the story would be. Although often times, some twists you fear for may not happen, the lack of said twist really gives you that feel of relief and happiness when watching this show. I'm really happy with this show's storytelling.

The story starts all the way in the past and depicts the development of the characters over the years. I think it was very well done. You can really see how the characters evolve and grow from their youth to their days as seasoned adults. It's really enjoyable.

-----Acting/Cast-----

Luo Jin is doing what Luo Jin does best. He's really, really amazing.

Zheng Shuang just acts cute and stuff as per usual, but I think she did a good job.

As for other characters, I felt that they were quite good as well.

-----Music-----

The show does a great job of playing music that fits the year in which the story's setting is currently in. I found a lot of song choices to be quite good. The opening theme "Dream it possible", the Huawei consumer brand song was a very great choice for the show. I'm not sure if Huawei sponsored this show, but I really liked the song. The songs that were also specially made for this show are also quite good.

Use of various backing tracks indicating certain emotions was done very well throughout the show.

-----Rewatch Value-----

I usually simply don't rewatch shows. You can't really trust me on this section.

I felt that the show was very good. I feel like I would have no problem rewatching this with a friend.

-----Overall-----

I really, really enjoyed the show. I come from the reddit r/noveltranslations community and absolutely loved seeing the back story behind how Tang Jia San Shao got to where he is today. I was on the edge of my seat the entire show wondering what sorts of things happened in his life to bring him to writing. I don't know if this show is his exact autobiography, but if it is, it's completely mind-blowing the journey he took to be where he is today.

This story is quite inspirational. Work hard. Fall down. Get up. Work harder.

It gets a 9/10 from me overall, but in terms of whether or not you should watch it, I give it a 10/10. Watch it.

argamond
Aug 8, 2018
With any adaption, the question that many fans will ask is - how true to the story is the drama? This is particularly important for people that came across this drama because of the writer Tang Jia San Shao. And the answer to this is that the drama detracts considerably from the purpose and intent of the light novel that you will spurt out blood in frustration.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of examples of poor adaptions - both in China and the West. "A Walk to Remember" is one example I recall. This one is another.

For fans of the author, Tang Jia San Shao, they would be familiar that he writes xianxia/wuxia type novels. He is not a specialist in the modern or romance themes. In fact, there are many occasions (including in this light novel), where he states that he doesn't write that well. But what he lacks in quality and artistry, he makes up in consistency and quantity. He is in the Guinness Book of Records for the most consecutive daily uploads, and is renowned by all his fans that he always puts up a new chapter every day. He has never disappointed his fans in this respect. When he wrote this light novel, he wanted to enshrine his life and memories with his wife up to this point, whilst he is still young enough to remember. To this point, in this light novel, he is very loving and caring to his wife. He writes that she is the most supportive and understanding, that she had never stood in the way of his dreams. In fact, in the toughest times, even when she was very ill, she was the main breadwinner to keep the family afloat and once Tang Jia San Shao earned enough money (when he published his first few books), his wife didn't have to work anymore. IN NO WAY was Tang Jia San Shao CRITICAL or NEGATIVE towards his wife in the light novel, and he never portrayed any jealousies or arguments or fighting. They certainly did not use their family to coerce the other party to do things that they didn't want.

To add to this, the author, Tang Jia San Shao, seems to be someone who values relationships. He is not driven by money or success. He is particularly loyal to his fans. That was why, when the website was down, he DID NOT STOP WRITING (remember the Guinness Book of Records!) and uploaded his story to unpaid servers to satisfy his fans. He also did not chase after the biggest publishers with the largest wallets and did not brag about his successes.

I am saying this because according to the light novel, the story is very simple and sweet. In some ways, sweeter than Love O2O as there is no other love interest - just financial pressures. So WHENEVER the drama portrays some incidents to generate tension - a lot of this is not actually in the novel. It makes the drama considerably different from the original ode of love to his wife. Watching this drama will not result in you understanding the author. Instead, it DRAMATICALLY MISREPRESENTS Tang Jia San Shao and his wife.

So, if you are a fan of Tang Jia San Shao - I strongly recommend that you stay away!

Having said that, the two main leads have a remarkable lack of chemistry. I have seen people treat cats and dogs better than they do each other

Dolores Reyes
Aug 29, 2018
I like very much a true to life story, specially from poor to rich, because of perseverance. Shows how true friendships is important in life, also, family connections, with good ubringing of parents to their children to be honest. The most important lesson in this drama, is true love between two people and mo matter what hardships, they don't give up and because of each other's perseverance, they are successful to tackle, survive any obstacle they encounter. Luo Jin is the reason I enjoyed more this drama.
Skukian99
Sep 13, 2018
first of all, to all those who are here after seeing johnny huang in the cast list, he only appears in this drama for 10-15 min... that's it!
now abt the drama.. may contain spoilers ahead..
the story is very inspiring and it was well portrayed by the casts... this was my first luo jin drama... and i've to say that he did his role wonderfully.... since this is based on a real story i have to commend the writer who has gone through soo many hardships but still made it out in the end as a successful writer... i'm not exactly a fan of zheng shuang... her acting is the same everywhere.. and at times i feel she tries too much to act... her expressions in certain situations are completely random.... the rest of the cast was really good...
this story is centered around love and friendship... i really loved the friendship between chang gong, xiao shan and han dong... their relationship was beautiful... it's the kind of friendship that everybody should have.. they were always there for each other and were soo supportive...
moving onto the romance.. the chemistry between luo jin and zheng shuang wasn't that great.. AND THERE WASN'T EVEN A SINGLE KISS! at times i felt that they were more like friends than lovers... i really liked the relationship between yao yao and li ning feng.... overall its worth a watch....

Bobknow65
Aug 11, 2018
Lou Jin is not only fine ????he’s is such a outstanding actor, he was awesome in this role, I loved his character and Zheng Shuang was soft spoken and graceful, both were good together in this drama. What a great storyline, the writers stayed consistent in telling the story about, CG constant struggles to succeed in a biased world, issues of life, friendship, love and family, this drama touched on reality, very heart felt and warm, had me in tears. It showed CG constant perseverence and not giving up no matter the obstacles, he became a loving husband and father in the end. Kudos to the writers, well done.

xiaorong
Jan 28, 2019
where do i even begin? this was a breathtaking drama with realistic character developments and an intriguing story that roughly tells the author, tang jia san shao's life with his wife (obviously not 100% accurate for the sake of keeping a drama interesting and for it to last 48 eps). i'm quite surprised that this drama only has a rating of 7.7 on MLD; i reckon it deserves a higher rating. luckily, douban users gave it some justice. i guess this story is not really international viewers' cup of tea because it's quite slow paced (and not romantically intense), and many would not have noticed that it was developed based on tang jia san shao's novel for his wife, who unfortunately did not survive from cancer after the finishing of this drama's broadcast. knowing the roots of where this story was based from makes this drama absolutely beautiful and easier to watch. of course, there are differences between the novel and the drama itself, but the journey that the characters go through doesn't change much (it's quite understandable to make changes for a drama so that it meets the episode requirements + to have side-characters).

story /
it takes patience to finish the drama, and i wouldn't suggest watching it while you're busy doing house chores or something like that. you need to actually sit down to enjoy the dialogues and the development of each character.

i still only have one word to describe the story of this drama: breathtaking. you might think i'm exaggerating, and maybe i am BUT you learn a lot of life lessons, FROM ALL THE CHARACTERS, YOUNG AND OLD which makes this drama so valuable. for those who have experienced life in the 90s, it'll make you feel a little nostalgic and probably reflect on your early life, or at least what you were doing or where you were going in life at that point in time. you might've already found success, or you might've felt lost in life. it's okay, because you were not alone. on the other hand, maybe it could give you a rough idea of the life your parents might've gone through. idk, it's up to you to interpret because everyone's life is different.

as viewers, we witness the character's failures and them trying their best to stay positive and not running away from their own problems. we also witness people maturing from their experiences in life, whether it's from work, friendship, family or love. i also loved that the concept of forgiveness was also subtly integrated into the story; it shows you that if you can let go, let go. if you can't, don't ignore, face it and then LEARN to let go and to forgive. everyone makes mistakes in their life and no one is flawless. throughout the drama, you can love one character and then choose to be frustrated by the decisions that they make or the advice that they give to another character. BUT THAT'S ACTUALLY HOW IT IS IN REAL LIFE. life doesn't flow smoothly and at the end of the day you can't rely on other people, but you need to trust in yourself WITH the support of other people who cares about you.

this doesn't apply to every drama, especially chinese since they're mostly long and draggy. but i think the production team did right when this drama was delivered at a slow pace. it allows the audience to sink in the information and the situation the characters are going through. while the characters are reflecting on their current situation/hardship, it feels like we're experiencing it with them and perhaps if you, as the viewer, have encountered something similar in your life...you might feel a little of a heartache.

although the drama doesn't depict tang jia san shao's life 100% accurately, the fact that it's a drama it really gave me a visual interpretation of how he roughly spent his life during those time of his life. the ending in the drama is definitely a satisfying and a joyful one compared to real-life. i think for tang jia san shao, this story is about hope because the story itself is almost like a love-letter to his wife (which is one of the things that is symbolic of their love).

i especially love the settings of the story as well; when it was the 90s, they made it looked like the 90s (with a few exceptions due to limited resources i guess), when it reached towards mid-2000s, they made it looked like mid-2000s. i felt really nostalgic watching the characters using old computers and phones. reminds me that a lot has changed in th epast 10-20 years and there were many that we had taken for granted.

acting /
luo jin doesn't disappoint me. in fact, i can't imagine another actor portraying zhang chang gong. when his character succeeds, you feel happy with him, as if you've made the same achievement. when he fails, you also feel hopeless like him. i would say, out of all his 2018 dramas, this beats it all. his character is relatable in some aspects, whether you're a teenager or a full grown adult. personally, it was really relatable to me when he chose to bottle up his problems and not communicate it to his family or friends. there are times when you just don't want to burden other people, or you just feel really tired of always seeming to disappoint the people around you...chang gong was this type of man. obviously, he has his own pride (like all of us do), but he doesn't make it difficult on other people. if i could, i would defs give luo jin an award for best actor!

as for zheng shuang...i've never been a fan of her acting. but believe it or not, she'll impress you a little in this drama. i mean, it wasn't superb, but it was believable and you'll feel her frustrations as a daughter, wife and mother. i saw a few people complaining about how the stylist(s) chose to dress her; very plain and most of the time were baggy hoodies or shirts. i kind of liked that her character stayed the same that way (and who knows? maybe tang jia san shao's wife was like this?). if they were to change the way she dressed after her husband and she became rich, it kind of defeats her character as an understanding wife and a mother who cares so deeply for her daughter's wellbeing and education. she went through thick and thin with chang gong (therefore understand what it's like to be poor) and even though she was once the daughter of a rich family, she doesn't abuse money. by dressing her simple and plain, it makes it look like she placed most of the financial needs in the family to her children (which is something a majority of chinese family does for their children to have a good future nowadays). of course, i'm not sure if this is what the production team was going for, or whether it's just her character's personality. i had no problem with the way she had dressed. it wasn't like she needed to go to conferences and interviews like her husband did...

the support characters were quite good. i especially liked chang gong's mother. she reminded me of my own mother c': i have nothing more to say about this lmao

music /
the music was quite pleasing. i would definitely have it on my playlist.

rewatch value /
i would definitely, definitely, definitely rewatch this drama! to me, it feels like a reminder to never give up because you will be able to reach your goal one day. you don't have to reach a certain age to find success or become successful at a certain age. enjoy life while finding success, not the other way around because time does not always keep ticking.

i would definitely recommend people to watch this drama if:
1) you want some life lessons about perseverance
2) you're looking for a light-hearted drama that you can sit down and have the patience to watch
3) you want to watch something that is realistic (forget about those family makjangs and love-triangles that you always see in other dramas)
4) you loved love O2O and eternal love. this drama was directed by the same person
5) you loved scarlet heart and my sunshine. this drama was screen written by the same person
6) if you're too lazy to read and want to know more about tang jia san shao; this drama is going to give you a rough idea of his life

KeWen
Sep 24, 2018
----Story----
I really like the plot of this drama. It really realistically presents the struggles of real life. It talks about the struggles of getting a job. It shows how hardwork and determination are fruitful. It shows the ups and downs of life. People who are young should still continue to chase their dreams. Life is long and no one knows what will happen in the future. There are many scenes of real friendship, importance of family and forgiveness. There are many humorous scenes that creates a lighter feeling. I really enjoyed watching this drama.

----Cast----
I loved all the interaction between the cast. They seem very close. TBH I watched it because of Zheng Shuang. Her acting and expression is pretty similar to other dramas she's acted in haahha. I always feel like she's often being carried by her partner. But I feel that her acting is a lot better and she has begun creating her own emotions rather than riding on the atmosphere created by others. (Tho I still think she still quite a bit overly fake with her acting). Luo Jin is also a really amazing actor. I was so surprised. He really knows how to create atmosphere. He's humour makes the drama a lot lighter. He's voice, pauses, expressions all are on the dot. One thing tho, the two leads are lacking in the skinship chemistry and sometimes seems awkward T.T. If they've known each other for so long, I feel like there should be more natural skinship where neither looks or feels awkward. Even standing next to each other, they sometimes seem so awkward. I also really liked Pan Han Chen. Always liked him since "My Mr Mermaid". (Feel so bad for him qq he has such a hard love life in both of them). But I really like his acting. The way he speaks and he's mouth shape. idk he's voice is just really fascinating.

----Music----
The Music!!!! OMG it's so good. Especially the ost. Her voice sounds so good. I love the lyrics. It so matches the plot. Love all the music inserts. They all add to the atmosphere.

m3lch3n
Sep 17, 2018
adapted from novel For You, I will love the whole world, than the real story i think this movie its about all hopes from the author for his wife

i like how the movie brings a lot memories about the past (Era 90-end), about dream, friendship, life struggle, about relationship with parents and child, relationship between brother and sister, between in-law, between husband and wife, scene looks real, no kiss scene, but the feeling is strong

i even like quarrel scene..
the soundtrack is good too