Kaiji

XiaoMei
Aug 5, 2011
The plot reminds me Liar Game a little, but fortunately, this movie is much better than drama. The action keeps in suspense all the time, so we can't be bored. The main character isn't naive so much or though he learn from mistakes and conclude it.

Hmm.. Though, Endo made the best business at th end.
Kawaikochan
Jul 25, 2011
Unlike the previous reviewer, I didn't expect anything from this film. I didn't know anything about it. I disclose this because it may have influenced how I experienced the unfolding of the plot.

I enjoyed the story. It's a combination Liar Game (Japanese drama) and 1984 (George Orwell). A secret world unfolds as a people are pitted against one another. I didn't find the the story to be predictable, but there was a slow part in the middle that made me want to fast-forward.

Generally, the main actors all over acted with the exception of Yuki Amami. Lots of screaming, crying, banging of fists, etc. This was the major downfall of the film in my opinion. I debated giving it a 4 or 5. However, I decided on 5 because the overacting did not inhibit my ability to enjoy the film, and I generally think that Japanese actors tend to overact.

The music was nice. It fit the feel of the movie. There were definitely some songs I will look up.

Overall, it's an enjoyable movie, but not a "must see before you die" film. People who liked Liar Game or The Quiz Show will probably like this movie.

claudya87
May 15, 2011
I expected too much from this movie. Actually it\'\'s all about conning. Life is unfair and without knowing you have to do everything you can to survive, calculating every step.
The idea is interesting and the action will capture you. Even the unfairness of it all is at one point unbelievable but foreseeable. And yet you\'\'ll find yourself rooting for him, hopping he\'\'ll win in the end.
twigglet
Jul 14, 2013
Right, I had to write a review after seeing that the main reviews were mostly negative.

I was skeptical of this movie because the anime became too complex and confusing for me after only 4 episodes (I ended up dropping it), but this movie was really well-done and I'm gonna tell you why.

Story: This movie emphasized the concept of greed and social hierarchy extremely well. The people with less money had less power and were always cheated whilst the big dogs at the top got away scot free.

Watching the 'slaves' having to jump through more and more hoops to escape their fate was frustrating, and I found myself getting really involved in the story-line. I take my hat off to everyone who made this movie possible.

Acting/Cast: When I saw that Fujiwara Tatsuya was was going to be the protagonist of another movie, I was extremely interested to see how he'd do (loved him in Battle Royale, was iffy about him in Death Note), but I wasn't disappointed. The rest of the cast also get my vote for good acting.

In one review, someone said that there was a bit of over-acting but come on, if your LIFE was on the line and you were in a seemingly hopeless situation, you'd be going crazy too, so over-acting was not an issue for me; their pain was realistic.

Music: Typical suspense music in all the right places, I wasn't paying too much attention to it to be honest, I was too busy getting caught up in the drama.

Overall: Simply brilliant. A great, cunning movie that left me on the edge of my seat. I am someone who easily gets bored and not once did i want this movie to hurry up and end.

Exceeded my expectations completely.

Infectedmushroom
Jun 7, 2012
For me I found the movie really good. Before people start arguing what I found so good about it. Let me explain. It was the plot line and the way the various games was played [the scissors paper stone and then the E card]. The actings were not that bad but it was not what I would expect of a character like Kaiji. Provided I did not watch the anime or read the manga before watching the movie, I am reviewing it based on my opinion of the movie alone.

For a character like Kaiji I would have expected a more laid back kind of a character. I noticed in the movie that the actor [Tatsuya Fujiwara,Death Note's Light]had weird facial expressions at various scenes that were supposed to be pretty emotional. So I would say the emotional part of the movie was pretty under-developed due to the lack of expressiveness. Thus, I would not reccommend it for people who like everything to be packed full in a movie. The emotions and action.

However, despite the mediocre acting, the actions were pretty good. I liked them. And I am not a person who is easy to please. The gameplay was very brilliant and interesting to watch. The part where they show about forced labour could have been more developed in my opinion. However, it fit well with the movie.

In conclusion, I would recommend this movie for those who do not mind a little bit of mediocre acting and like to watch interesting mind blowing gameplays.