The Princess' Man

• Network: KBS2
  • Duration: 1 hr. 5 min.
  • Genres: Historical, Romance, Political
  • Tags: Joseon Dynasty
  • Rating: 15+ Restricted (violence & profanity)

• Members: 12,192
JimmyChooLove
Sep 17, 2015
What an incredibly moving and well executed show. With a lot of asian period pieces you run into issues of over complicated stories and dull moments, but I found that to not be the case at all for The Princess's Man. The story was engaging and the romance endearing throughout.

Highlights:
- The relationships between characters. The main leads had amazing chemistry, but I would say that the epic bromances were sometimes even more engaging and moving. The secondary romance was incredibly moving and also very well done.
- Story. In too many dramas main characters are kept apart or tension is created for stupid reasons. This was probably the first drama I've seen in a long time where most of the secrecy, revenge, and anger are all rooted in pretty valid logic.
- A Kang played by little Yoo Bin. She might be the cutest child in the entire world.

Some low points:
- Song Jong Ho. I really liked him in Reply 1997 but he just did not do it for me as Myun. I don't believe he had enough range to play the arguably most tormented character in the show. Based on his actions, you're actually supposed to feel a lot of sympathy for his position, but he just seemed to be operating robotically throughout.
- Melodrama amped up to 10 at the end. As the stakes got increasingly raised throughout the show, the amount of tears from our beloved characters similarly experienced exponential increases. I understand the reason for the tears, but towards the end every interaction seemed to be weepy, sobby, and angsty. Not a huge gripe but I would have preferred a few more call backs from the characters to the good old times, when life for them wasn't such a bloody, miserable, hot mess.

In summary, this was probably my favorite show so far in the saeguk genre due to it's strong story and performances. I am looking forward to rewatching it again in the near future!

SSKF
Sep 16, 2015
This drama just blew me away! It was unexpectedly the best production I have ever seen - be it Hollywood, or Asian movies/ TV shows. Everything from the Cinematography, the music, the casting and acting, the story, the period..... EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT!

10/10 for everything. I still think of this drama even years later. I became an instant fan of Moon Chae Won and Park So Hoo. I watch all their dramas because of this one drama. I loved all the cast, down to the king and everybody. This story never lagged and the way it tied into history was enchanting as well. It all compounded with the scenery and cinematography - which was on par with Lord of the Rings!

You will not regret watching this movie. It even crosses all the genres. Romance, Action, Suspense, History, a little comedy, Fluff, and it's depth and complexity is also remarkable.

Paulina Garcia
Apr 5, 2015
"the princess' man" es un drama que sin duda lo recomendaría por su historia y por la forma en que se desarrolla. los personajes principales tienen muy buena química creíble al espectador y logran desatar emociones desde enfado hasta llanto. ademas cuenta con un gran ost y grandes escenas dignas de recordar para siempre en especial la escena de la flecha. con respecto al final logro conmoverme y llenar mis expectativas dándome una de las escenas mas bonitas y románticas y cerrando correctamente la trama como no muchos lo logran. en conclusión un drama hermoso que sin duda estará para siempre en mi corazón y que sin problemas lo podría volver a ver.

malkael
Nov 25, 2013
U must watch it......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
just This...
all of things are GooOood
rad_lisette
Jan 16, 2012
The Princess’s Man was one of my picks for best dramas of 2011. It checked off all the boxes: Great acting. Great plot. Great cinematography. Great chemistry.

The drama’s greatest strengths are its cast and well-written characters.

Moon Chae Won was utter gorgeousness in hanbok. Her character, SeRyung, was inspiring as a woman in Joseon Korea full of integrity, strength, and grace.
Park Shi Hoo demonstrated his acting has improved leaps and bounds but I do wonder what a better actor would have done with his role of Seung Yoo.

The secondary love story between the ex-Princess and her arranged husband was predictable yet so tender and lovely. Hong Soo Hyun is someone that I will be looking out for.
Also, Prince Soo Yang, Se Ryung's father was my favorite character. Terrific acting from him as well, in fact, the highlight of the show. He was not a black and white villain but an intricately written one with many shades of gray that made him stand high above the other characters, who are great in their own right.

Highly recommended period drama that is a great love story and that realistically depicts family life, friendship and the loss of innocence in Joseon Korea.

Doremeduck
Mar 16, 2012
The Princess Man was really slow starting, but once the initial story is covered, the plot of the story itself is amazing. The story is deep and has a lot of good moments. I loved the acting. I felt that the actors did a wonderful job showing emotion, and there is a ton of it. The only thing I didn't like about the acting is that I didn't see any real chemistry between the two leads, so it didn't really seem that they cared for or loved each other all that much. The music was beautiful and was really what set the emotion for the whole drama. I wouldn't rewatch this drama though. For some reason I found it completely difficult to get though. Usually when it takes me only a few days to finish a drama this one took me over a month. It was too slow at times and too heart breaking that I couldn't bare to watch another episode right away. I thought The Princess Man was beautiful, and the first drama I have ever cried while watching. This drama is definitely not light hearted and is a major tear jerker, but it is still good none the less.

varun
Apr 27, 2015
wow!!! very great drama. awesome acting by all cast members especially by moon chae won. The story itself is the biggest achievement of this drama but great acting adds charm to the whole story. must watch kdrama.
HermanFassett
May 3, 2017
Be prepared to hold onto your horses and definitely don't close your eyes! Though this is a short Sageuk coming in at a measly 24 episodes (IKR!), it certainly has all the feels and annoyances and amazingness that makes up a typical Sageuk.

Story (9.0):
I'm literally writing this as the last episode is finishing and I'm watching this last scene and getting goosebumps and shivers; what an amazing way to close the drama! I've heard some negative comments about this ending, but honestly it was the best way it could have ended in my opinion. And it's not even your typical Sageuk ending where everyone both good and bad beside the main character seems to die (only kind of joking); instead we see a beautiful finale that ties in with the first antics of our main couple and leaves you to wonder why all those other dramas focus on closure by successful revenge and conquering.
But don't get me wrong: the whole last half of this drama is mostly about trying to get revenge, and there are PLENTY of sorrowful and tearjerking scenes especially leading on from the 1/4 mark. If the beginning of the drama didn't clue you in, I don't know what would. This is a Romeo and Juliet style story (don't worry, it doesn't end quite the same).
There were a number of romantic couples in this drama, and while Se Ryeong and Seung Yu's was very fun to watch, especially in the very beginning and as the story came to a close, I found the love story between the Princess Kyung Hye and Jung Jong to be just as enticing and especially around the half way mark, even more fun to watch. Honestly, the Princess Kyung Hye was more interesting at times than our main character Se Ryeung (I guess I could call her Princess as well), and I loved seeing Kyung Hye's relationship both with her cousin Se Ryeung and her husband Jong morph and change over the course of the story.
I've painted this story in a highly positive light so far, but there were some parts I found excruciatingly aggravating. However, as I go through and enumerate, you'll probably see that it isn't isolated to only this Sageuk.
First off, most of my frustration from this story happened from the 1/4 mark the 1/2 way mark. Seriously, I watched the first 6-7 episodes in great joy, then draaaggged through those next 6-7 and then flew through to the end.
BEGIN RANT:
My problem with these episodes were these stupid choices and mistakes and misunderstandings and mishaps and all this gooblety gook drama that I really didn't want to see that I realize needed to happen for the rest of the drama and I'll admit made Se Ryeung's later actions so cheerworthy but in reality made me really want to skip scenes and indeed I found myself reading recaps to find the scenes I wanted to watch so I could get to a place I really wanted to see and I've lost sight of where I was going with this rant, but seriously, WHY! AGH!
END RANT.
Heh, the last half was worth all the drama though, and yes the drama was the basis of the whole story, but still, meh, Se Ryung was a bit annoying in these portions.

Acting/Cast (9.5):
Ahhh! So many crying scenes! I think most of the time Princess Kyung Hye was on the screen, she was crying!
But wow, Princess Kyung Hye blew me away, especially in the scene where she and Jong are tearfully looking at each-other... Actually, that whole episode was amazing on her part. Whenever her chin wobbles came into play... Dagger to the heart! ;(
The rest of the cast was mostly very good, though I found Song Jong Ho's (Myeon's) acting to be a bit over the top at times. Especially... nvm that's a spoiler.
There was also one scene that stuck in my head where there was an army of soldiers cheering that was sooo fake.
Beyond that, our main characters definitely didn't disappoint, and all the conniving and scheming and backstabbing politicians and their incompetent rivals were pretty well cast; I thought Se Ryung's father was very well cast especially whenever his character had semi-redeeming (who are you kidding, he can't be completely redeemed) moments like the last part of the finale.
The main couple was well cast and were very good together, but they definitely don't top my favorite couples list. Maybe 5th place. It's not totally their fault though because I've got some really strong couples on my list. Props to Woon and his Orabeoni girl love...
Final person I really need to commend would be the young King Dan-jong played by Noh Tae Yeob. Those sorrowful eyes of his can really strike the heart and helps his excellent portrayal of a young desperate king who feels trapped and useless.
Oh but wait, I can't forget Seung Yu's niece A Gang! She's the cutest thing ever... Loved the scene of her painting on Suk Joo's face! Haha.

Music (9.0):
The music was very good and also very typical of the Sageuk's I've scene with the mix of full orchestral and then a few male sung ballads and maybe some female singing throw in... I times I felt the main theme was played waaay tooo muuuch, but there was also this one haunting orchestral song with female bg vocals that gave me the chills. A good soundtrack, but not on my list of downloads.

Rewatch Value (8.0):
I will most definitely NOT be rewatching episodes 8-13 unless forced to watch the whole thing with a sibling or friend and if you don't understand why, go read my rant up in the story section. But the first 5-6 episodes, where our character relationships are being established were a joy to watch and will probably be on the top of my rewatch list. The last half of the drama was completed by yours truly in a blink (a day or two okay, give me three) and were very well done, but it is at times tearjerking enough that I don't think I'll be able to rewatch it as much as I would that first quarter of the drama.

Overall ( 9.0):
I've had this on my watchlist for ages and now that I've finally got around to finishing it, I can honestly say it wasn't a waste of time and I fully enjoyed myself. What a powerful love story!
For anyone who's watched the first few episodes, I also hope you caught my reference in the very first sentence of the review. Shame on you if you didn't.
If you are not a fan of Sageuks, I don't know how well this will resonate with you, but I've got such dramas as Empress Ki under my belt so this was a fairly easy and very pleasing undertaking for me.
P.S. I don't want to go through and fix my name spelling inconsistencies so figure it out yourselves.
P.P.S. I don't want to discourage anyone from watching this, so this is post scriptum, but I do feel like I'm being optimistic with this drama mainly because I didn't love it as much as I thought I would after reading some really good reviews of it and it didn't leave me half as a mess or in love as some other dramas (Empress Ki, Queen In Hyun's Man, etc). But it still deserves the 9 I guess. Maybe 8.875...
P.P.P.S. Is this my longest review yet? Maybe. It's like over 1200, almost 1300 words long. Here's to watching dramas when I should be writing essays and then going and writing drama reviews that are longer than my essay needs to be!

Kerry
Jan 18, 2016
I loved watching this drama however i felt I had more unanswered questions than answers at the end. I wouldn't say I loved the ending but I felt like I missed something. I think the soldiers guarding the nobles etc were bad. If you are guarding such an important figure you should be able to fight. YOu should be the best of the best. It was like having a bunch of florist fighting as guards, they could barely defend themselves. They lacked the skills needed to protect someone important. Therefore I was yelling at the screen half the time. I think it would have been great to be shorter but I guess you need all those episodes for the build up of hatred and frustration with certain characters and situations. The story was great, filled with everything to get you glued to your seat to watch. Hatred, jealousy, love, misunderstandings, lies, a big bag of betrayal, lust, envy, cuteness fighting etc etc. good old fashion evil and mix in a Romeo and Juliet kinda love. I thought the characters were fantastic and you may shed tears a few times but you will yell at the screen. My problems with the drama was the unanswered stuff at the end and the big WTH, when did that happen and where is everyone else? the KinG, I was kinda speechless. Does greed really pay off. I imagine stuff like this does happen in history no matter the country but It was kinda sad also. Does it benefit you to be king when most want your head on a platter and do they really allow you to rule when so many strings are pulling you at once if you manage to stay alive. seems like you are better off being a common folk. Like i said I loved watching this drama however I am conflicted on the ending. NOT that it was horrible but I would have liked a more polished ending. Acting was great from everyone, main and supporting alike.

morno053
Jun 7, 2015
Seriously his drama is epic!!!! She is such a strong heroine and he the tormented hero. I put this off because I thought it would be boring but boy was I wrong! If you haven't seen it you have to. This couple is to die for <3
Chelsey
Jan 25, 2016
This was an epic historical drama, the story was amazing and the actors were amazing yet I feel a bit let down.

The story was very long winded and very emotional, I found myself crying quite a bit in this drama, omg the feels. However the end, even though happy it was also tragic and I felt that all that suspense, all that drama led to nothing. If the writers wanted an ending like that they could have made it that happy ending a long time ago except without all the angst and blood.

I loved the main couple even as ill fated as they were, but they changed so much character wise, with all the pain they had to deal with throughout the story. I couldn't really reconcile them with the happy carefree couple they were before.

The OST was amazing, I'll definitely listen to it again.

This is a great drama with great actors and a great story, however, it is full of pain and angst and a part of the plot feels like it just gets dropped at the very end. This is a classic must watch for any kdrama fan.

yaddle_t
Mar 3, 2012
I finished this drama in a few days. That's how addicting it was. The story is of a Romeo and Juliet sort ( my fave play from Shakespeare which is probably what attracted me to watch it) with a slight different ending... The drama is full of action and fighting scenes. It has its different romance stories and oh so cute/tender moments. It's a story of lies, betrayal, deceit, vengeance, backstabbing, loyalty, friendship, love, respect, righteousness and ultimately, happiness.
The characters are unique and have their own back stories. You really get to know each of them and understand the choices they make, right or wrong. The acting was top notch. It was marvelous to see how Park Shi Hoo's character changes throughout his hardships. This drama allowed us to see PSH's acting skills. Song Jong Ho was also great, so was the third friend. It's a great drama for those like to have a mixture of thrilling action and romance. Would definitely want to re-watch this sometime.