The Princess' Man

• Network: KBS2
  • Duration: 1 hr. 5 min.
  • Genres: Historical, Romance, Political
  • Tags: Joseon Dynasty
  • Rating: 15+ Restricted (violence & profanity)

• Members: 12,196
rainruma
Apr 22, 2014
This dramas is so much better than others in all its qualities… An epic Romance w/ political intrigue, in a captivating, tight and fast-moving plot… A story beautifully told and well executed by:
Amazing acting…Great directing/editing/writing…Beautiful cinematography…Superb production…Mesmerizing OST…even the clothes were noticeably beautifully designed.
Seamless interweaving of Romance, Politics, History, Action and drama, yet all very easy to understand!
Filled w/ many memorable well-developed characters... including the courageously steadfast Se-Ryung, one of the best characters in Dramaland, and certainly the most amazing female character!...wonderfully portrayed by MCW!
Awesome performance by Park Si-Hoo I can understand all his thoughts & emotions through his eyes- from the charming, easy-going teacher to the tortured soul caught between Love and Revenge!!!
Surprisingly, one of the best romances I have ever seen… I have seen it several times and will, no doubt, watch it again in the future.

Starlitelet
Feb 18, 2012
My Mini Back-story:

It`s been around a year that I haven't watched Korean dramas. Why? A lot of them are repetitive or lack originality in terms of plot and characters. Fortunately, out of the blue, I had this weird Korean nostalgic epiphany after randomly viewing The Moon That Embraces the Sun (TMTETS). And since TMTETS hasn't finished airing, I asked a friend for a list of recommendations. I was in a mood for a period/sageuk drama. Hence, I chose The Princess's Man. Boy, it was epic!

Storyline:

Where should I begin? I believe the correct first description is amazing. If you are still doubtful, then please do read on.

The pacing of The Princess's Man is just near perfect (at least in the latter half). If I were to watch this while it was still airing, I would have died for every week. Not only does this drama successfully execute the main plot-line, but the subplots are also beautifully woven together. I have watched countless of Korean dramas, and many of them fail to relate the subplots to the main plot-line. The Princess's Man is one of those few exceptional gems.

Moreover, the series touches upon many themes that will definitely peak most of its viewers' interest. In fact, there's a bit of everything for everyone.

Here is a sample of what this series has to offer:

a) Suspense. Almost every single episode ends with a cliffhanger. You will literally be on the edge of your seat. If not, you will start biting your nails(like me!).

b) Romance. Don't let the Romeo and Juliet tagline scare you. There's so much more to the OTP other than being star-crossed lovers. And if you don't like one couple, stay tune for more!

c) Family Relationships. Great stories revolving around different households interacting with their family members. The most prominent, IMO, is the father-daughter relationship.

d) Friendship. Love how all the friendships form/crumble (especially the trio and the two brave female characters).

e) Revenge. Who doesn't love a story of good vendetta?

f) Action. There are even some sword fight scenes.

g) Politics. If you're afraid of watching this because I've mentioned politics, don't fret. I had the same reaction. However, all the themes are evenly balanced out that even the politics between the old folks add suspense to the story.

h) Unpredictable. Yes, there are moments of predictability, but overall there are twists and turns that will leave your jaws drop.

i) Sense of humor/comedy. I like the small comedy relief. It helps ease the dramatic tension. I especially love the character, Jo Sook Ju.

j) Realistic. For a melodrama, it's actually quite realistic how the events play out (especially the ending). Even the characters react realistically so they don't make you mad (not that I've ever been put to a life-death sort of test before).

I can go on, but it will be a better experience for you to explore. Trust me.

Speaking of realism, every action that each character takes has some sort of repercussion later on. Everything happens for a reason. Therefore, there is not a moment where something is unnecessary.
Side note: If you're hesitant after watching a couple of episodes, don't stop! All the problems will heighten and much more will be at stake. It's a wonder how some of these characters escape/win their problems.

Characters:

I was emotionally invested in every single character, ranging from the leading casts all the way to the supporting casts. It's so rare to come across a drama where every single character matters.

Nonetheless, my love for these characters blossomed over time (even for the 'bad guys'). And if a character is able to change my first judgmental impression of him/her, then that must be some awesome characterization.

My favorite characters (since I can't choose just one) are: Se Ryung, Su Yang, Seung Yoo, and Princess Kyung Hye. Yeah, that's a lot!

The 'bad guys' and 'good guys' aren't simply color coded as black and white. The 'good guys' aren't superbly smart nor are they godly strong (thank the lord!). Even the 'bad guys' have redeemable qualities. Therefore, everyone has flaws which makes them likable/relatable.

If you compare the first few episodes to episode 14, you will see a huge range in character development. There isn't a single character that is left underdeveloped (the closest is perhaps the character of Myun).

In addition, it's so much more enthralling when the villain is one of the main characters. It adds more depth/layer to the already gripping storyline.

Acting:

The actors playing my favorite characters are the ones (in my opinion) who were phenomenal. Nonetheless, nobody shied away from the limelight.

Moon Chae Won and Park Shi Hoo have so much chemistry together. It's undeniable! There's not a moment of dullness (perhaps a bit of cheesiness, but it's a Korean drama). Whenever they go through a roller-coaster ride, it gives me a huge adrenaline rush. I also love the fact that both of them contribute equally in the relationship (I hate it when the man does all the work). They also exude so much emotion that easily captivates viewers (just look at the expressions in their eyes). Whether they're apart/together, they're both awesome.

Se Ryung is definitely MCW's strongest performance by far. On the other hand, I cannot judge PSH because this is my first drama of his. Honestly, his looks didn't originally capture my heart, but the more I see him with his smile and dark looks, the more this fictional character/actor wins a piece of my heart.

Kim Young Chul steals the screen whenever he appears. I somehow really understand his character (not that I'd side with his doings). I just love the way he portrays Prince Suyang/King Sejo. I also love the heart-tugging relationship between his and MCW's character.

Hong Soo Hyun's character speaks 1000 words without saying anything. I am still so amazed by how much she cried. Whenever she shed tears, I felt her pain. The way her bottom lips quiver/(involuntarily) tremble she cries seems utterly believable. I'm surprised that she didn't dehydrate from all those exhausting scenes.

All in all, these talented actors made the drama shine even further. They were genuine/comfortable in their roles.

Soundtrack:

I love the entire OST. The songs played at the right time (like spot-on). Hence, it enhanced the quality of the series.

For example, the song that played at the end of each episode/cliffhangers made it feel so epic. Even the songs that played during the vendettas or the shocking scenes are those to look out for. Don't even get me started on the emotional soundtracks that played through SR and SY's meetings.

I've been putting the OST on replay everyday!

My favorites are (once again, I can't choose just one): Longing, I Love You Today, Destino, Vola, Irreversible, The Day Comes and One Day of Love.

Bonus:

Great intricate traditional clothing. Lavishing scenery. Vivid colors. Captivating representation of historical figures (mainly speaking of King Sejo). Obviously, it's not literally accurate, but it gives you a nice glimpse/idea of Korean history.

Overall:

I completely stopped watching TMTETS because I was so caught up with TPM that even after finishing TPM, I didn't feel like going back to TMTETS. As sad as it sounds, after the final song played in episode 24, I felt like I've lost a great friend.

It's been so long that I haven't found such a wonderful Korean drama.
And of course there are some flaws with TPM, but they're so minor compared to other Korean dramas that it's not necessary to nitpick about them.

Definitely going to re-watch this again. I'm even planning on having a marathon with my friend!

Overall rating for review: 9.5/10

Purely for entertainment: 10/10

My Dramalist rating (avg): 9.75/10

dramafreakboy
Oct 14, 2013
1) The reason I watched this :

The Trailer (promo) seemed too promising , the forbidden romeo-juliet themed love , encouraged me to watch .. ONE WORD this drama is THE BEST korean historical Drama I have ever seen , everything was perfect from acting , production , music , direction , This drama is no.1 on my list coz it contains everything a watcher needs from Romance , to action , politics and twists , to the extreme happy cute moments to extreme tear sad moments

2) Storyline/Plot:
Magnificent , the whole story was solid , the love , the cute romantic scenes , the hate , the revenge the forgiveness , the new love , everything about the story is perfect , the screen writes did a really good job , even secondary roles story are perfected .

*The cinematography is great , which is one of the strong points of this drama

*Main Genres:

--->Action and politics : Best ever

--->Romance: EPIC , the chemistry between the 2 main leads is high and present , u can feel every single feeling they feel , u'll live with them .. feel the love , hate , revenge , new love ..

Story: 10/10.

3) Acting/Cast:

*Main Leads : Moon Chae Won and Park Shi Hoo both of them done a really great job , the chemistry between them is high and present with strong impact.I became a big fan of moon chae won after this show , I watched all her other dramas ..

*Supporting actors : all of them done a perfect job every one in his role , starting from the king , to the servant . Kim Yeong Cheol , Song Jong Ho , Hong Soo Hyun
each done a really good job , Even the 6 years old Kim Yoo Bin , especially in ep 17 , I can't Imagine how a 6 years old girl can act this well !!!! she made me cry , 10/10 for choosing the supporting cast this perfect .

*Relationships:

--->Romance: the starting romance in 1st episodes " Beautiful and cute " I didn't expect it at all to be this great , coz this is a historical drama after all HOW CAN THE ROMANCE BE CUTE IN OLD TIMES , but seriously I was hooked, the scenes were amazing..And what's even more amazing even in hatred u can feel the chemistry between them , its my first time for me too watch love in hatred , u must watch to understand what I mean ..

chemistry 10/10

--->The triangle: It was a really good one , which didn't affect the development of romance between main leads , again one of the strong points . song Jong Ho did a great job

Cast: 9/10.
Acting: 10/10.

4) The ending: one of most memorable ending in k-drama land , and was beautifully done

The ending: 10/10.

5) My impression (How did it affect me):
Its like I lived in the world of love and dreams for a short period of time :) , the pure unconditioned love ..

*Is the drama memorable: YES

My impression: 9/10.

Rewatch : I rarely rewatch any drama , but this one I already watched it 4 times in less than a year , I have never done that before with any drama ..

6) Overall:
Overall: 10/10

akisame
Jul 10, 2015
This drama wholly swept me up in its lush and suspenseful thrall; a beautiful plot with stunning visuals to match it, I was entirely possessed by ‘The Princess’ Man’.

I was expecting weepy melodrama due to it supposedly being modelled on ‘Romeo & Juliet’; however, ‘The Princess’ Man’ served up a lyrical romance, fierce conflict, an intricate and detailed plot and perfectly constructed three-dimensional characters that never failed to show growth or depth.

The romance and political intrigue were two sides of the same coin: the power-hungry Grand Prince Sooyang’ daughter (Lee Se Ryung) falls in love with his just mortal enemy’s (Kim Jong Seo) son (Kim Seung Yoo). Se Ryung struggles with the love for her Father and her moral alignments - which align with that of her father’s enemy - whilst the latter is caught between his love for Se Ryung and his strong desire to kill her father. Neither is unaware of the grave brevity of the situation that they are in. Se Ryung is no love-struck child, but a woman who knows the difference between right and wrong and (initially) attempts to resolve the lover for her father with the love for her man. Love and politics are inextricably linked to one another, which prevents the intrigue in the The Princess’ Man from wearing thin as it is impossible to think of a way the two star-crossed lovers can resolve the political tragedies that greatly hinder their chances to be with one another - thus making the drama even more compelling.

The intrigue doesn't simply act as a backdrop for Se Ryung and Seung Yoo’s love, but it is equally as compelling (at some moments, it is even more exciting) as the romance. The discord is wholly understandable and its impact is hellish. Lives are being torn apart, families are being broken and then restructured, friendships are being betrayed but not fully abandoned. Episodes zip by with major developments and revelations that leave you pressing the button for the next episode. Nothing disappoints and everything has an impact.

One’s heart will be left with a deep impression by this poetic and tragic drama that all should watch.

rachso
Mar 29, 2014
Wow just wow. Before I watched it every one compared it to Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, however Romeo and Juliet was not this intense. If only every drama had acting and a story line this good. seriously. I dropped this drama At first because I won't lie to you it's tragic right from the first episode, which is why it is the best politics romance drama I have ever watched. Have you ever seen someone thanking a person for stalking and kidnapping them. Well not thankfull persay really just glad, they had the strongest chemistry I have ever seen in all the Korean dramas I have watched so far, it wasn't like these romantic drama clichés, no. it was realistic enough. Overall IT WAS SUPERB!!!! Huh.,,

BPetra
Sep 17, 2012
I Can not give this drama lower then 10. There is nothing that is particulary wrong with it. The story is very complex and interesting, with great characters who ráre inteligent and strong. And I am not only talking about the main pairing but also about supporting characters (i esp liked the "other" princess story with her husband).
Im not so much into revenge dramas, but this one really got me on my knees. It was nicely served and told.

Just how great were characters, acting was amazing too. I could feel their emotions right through the screen. I cryied with them and lived their happy moments. That does not happen often to me.

Music wal also exceptional (Destino is my fvourite)

Also i would like to mention the cinematography. Im rewatching it on HD and i have to say its real pleasure for my eyes.

Overall ... 10 works for me :)

dramajunkie
Oct 8, 2011
Oh TPM, where do I start? (I can go on forever, but will limit myself).

This was the second sageuk drama I've watched, and I'm very unfamiliar with Korean history, so I wasn't sure if I should take it up or not, but I couldn't resist after reading the synopsis. Let's just say that it was a VERY good choice.

TPM is the best drama I have seen this year (a year that has seen many good dramas), and probably of all time. It does not lack in anything. The acting was amazingly good. The story was exceptional, and had me hooked from early in the drama. Each character was so very well written and developed as well as believable that, unlike many other dramas, I never had the urge to skip over any part of any episode, even all the political filled scenes. The OST was also very good and fitting of the story. Watching this drama has been a wonderful journey and I'm very saddened now that it's over.

In short, if you are looking for a drama that is extremely well made all around; will make you smile at times, cry at others (maybe more of the latter than the former), and actually feel for the OTP throughout the entire series, then TPM is a drama you can't miss!

Crazy4You
Oct 7, 2011
Ohh where to begin! This drama I wasn't sure I was even going to pick up but around 4 episodes out I started to watch it. It's my very first saeguk drama as well. In the beginning I didn't have any expectations for it - except for a happy ending. As the episodes progressed I found myself more and more liking the drama. And then somewhere around episodes 8 or 9 I became addicted to it. Each episode kept getting better - I found myself in a whirl of emotions while I watched. Waiting each week I tried to be patient but as soon as subs were available I dropped everything else to watch it.

The story has a Romeo & Juliet theme - for most people this might turn them away. After all, everyone knows the tragedy that befell that couple. This drama is indeed a tragedy in many parts. Don't let that turn you away from this drama - everything about it turned out right in the end. I encourage you to watch it to understand what I mean by that (:

The characters....oh where to begin. I found myself rooting for our leads in their struggle to be together - the fight against Su Yang. His character is one you find yourself hating right away. Shin Myeong - his character many hated but I couldn't bring myself to hate him. Why? Because he was so pitiful. I imagine his choice was a difficult one and I could feel that he was torn in making it. Princess Kyeung Hye - I didn't like her in the beginning, there were things she did that made it hard to like her. I felt myself understanding her character more as time progressed - and by the end her character was one I found myself liking.

That being said - the acting is wonderful!! No complaints at all! This was the first drama I've seen Park Shi Hoo act in and I absolutely loved him! Moon Chae Won I remember seeing in Shining Inheritance as the step sister. Seeing her go from her pitiful character in that drama to the role she has in this makes me think she's a good actress. Of course the rest of the cast is great as well!

The music....it's beautiful! The entire soundtrack is beautiful! From the instrumentals to the actual songs - all of them are great and fit the flow of the drama very well. I also loved the songs they had in Italian - "Vola" and "Destino." The original Romeo & Juliet story is from Italy so I felt this was a nice touch.

I can see myself rewatching this drama someday - although not anytime soon.

Overall - what else can I say? This is a terrific drama! A must watch of 2O11! It's the best drama I've seen this year from the handful I have seen. If you haven't already begun this drama I highly recommend it!

Also - in my own personal opinion I felt this was a much better story than Romeo & Juliet. By that I mean it felt more realistic and believable to me.

Watch it!! (:

Starae
Jul 10, 2012
The story was phenomenal, you just can't stop watching the moment you start and it continues to pull you in until the very end. I couldn't count the amount of times I cried. It's a very moving story and you cant help but feel attached to the characters and feel sympathy for them.

Acting:
The Acting was amazing! I especially liked Park Shi Hoo, he did such a great job portraying Kim Seung Yoo's rollarcoaster ride of emotions. I liked him so much that I will probably go and watch more of the dramas he is in. Everyone else did a wonderful job as well.

The music was good....at first, but once you hit the further episodes you're begging for them to stop playing some of the songs. The song with the man with the raspy voice singing was really great though, it really makes you feel the emotion.

Rewatch:
I've never re watched a drama and I probably never will, but I usually give it a high rating just because.

Overall:
IT'S WORTH THE WATCH! You won't regret it!

wonhwa
Jun 20, 2014
Generational divides are a drama staple, but few versions of the trope are as high stakes as the one presented in The Princess’ Man. The aristocrats at the heart of the show vie for power knowing that they are risking not only their own lives but the lives of their entire families on the success of their schemes. Their plots are complicated further by the fact that the desires and allegiances of their children often diverge greatly from their own. The initial episodes take full advantage of the moral quandaries created by this zero sum game, as characters are forced to choose between friends and family, parents and lovers, ambition and affection. With the addition of sumptuous, jewel-toned cinematography and solid acting, things get off to a great start.

Alas, for all the lovely visuals and promising set-ups, the screenplay soon runs into issues. Few things frustrate me more than when characters act in ways that are convenient for the writer but fly in the face of common sense. Once the bloodshed begins, the characters appear to lose brain cells along with hemoglobin, making stupid choices that often seem directly at odds with their stated goals. If you’re looking for carefully crafted revenge schemes, you’ve come to the wrong show. Complex characters and decisions get dumbed down, and “Daddy doesn’t like my boyfriend” is treated as a crisis equivalent to “Dozens of innocent people may die today.” I personally found the secondary couple’s story arc much more compelling, if less swooningly romantic, than that of the leads, in large part because it seemed more grounded in the real world.

Finally, I wish the show had been willing to tackle the difficult questions raised by the historical events it draws on. This is a drama that has no place for the inconvenient truth that Suyang, for all his ruthlessness, turned out to be an excellent ruler, or for the idea that the welfare of a nation might matter more than the suffering of the elites. The period offers fertile ground for exploring if and when ends justify means, but the writer ultimately settles for easy heroes and villains. All in all, there’s a lot of flair, but far less substance than I hoped for.

NewKDramaAddict
Jul 11, 2012
TPM effect is alive and well! I have lost count the number of times I have watched this very well put together drama! Every time I watch it, I end up marathon watching until the end. The acting was amazing! I was already impressed with Park Shi Hoo but his portrayal of this tortured soul was beyond amazing! Moon Chae Won's portrayal of not a wilted flower but of a very strong and determined young woman willing to do anything to protect her man; outstanding! The secondary romance between the crowned princess and Jong, you will become totally vested with that relationship also. This rates higher than a 10! It comes highly recommended!

EvesSecret
Aug 11, 2012
This is the first time I am writing a review! I just finished watching this drama. My suggestion is to keep watching!!!

Once, my friend and I were talking about which drama we preferred. And she said "One that would make me cry."
Well if i had the chance i would definitely would suggest her to watch this.

I have to say the acting was simply great. Those characters that I despised in the beginning changed my thoughts in the end. I was actually crying for them. It turned out to be a lesson for them.

I loved the romance. This is a great remake of Romeo and Juliet!!!!

As for the story of revenge. I thought about what the writer was thinking. In my mind the writer wanted to create a story line - "life isn't perfect. We fail. We succeed. But in the end we learn." From some of the scenes I thought about "when you don't think things through, you simply fail." Therefore, I have to say this drama teaches you a lot of powerful lessons.

Unfortunately, the meaning of revenge in this drama is quite different from what I have in mind. In my opinion, I prefer City Hunter's, Iljimae's, etc. ways.

Remember everyone has a different opinion.