Another Me (2019) poster

My To Watch list
Three's Company

Terrica18
Sep 6, 2019
Warning: the image used promotes a cheery vibe but it is not cheery at all.
Many of the viewers have commented on this series comparing it to meteor garden because of one of the main cast. I agree that the setting is somewhat similar however the series itself is very melancholy compared to meteor garden. I will not reduce a star due to the acting because the acting is good. I have however reduce stars due to the cliché and overused plot, that being the self-sacrificing for friends routine and living in misery. In addition to this I find that the main female character was a bit unstable and scary. While most people sympathized with the main lead I found her character to be somewhat controlling, sneaky and flaky. I used more gentler terms here. There were too many fights and make ups to ever get a real sense of a budding romance. There was zero chemistry between the two leads, male and female. In addition to that the series is called another me. But up to this point I cannot see how the story connect with the title. I am certain that the series is about two friends however they have unfortunately shown more of the boring and unstable friend versus the one who is more outgoing. I have essentially begun to skip past the first female lead to get to the life of the second female lead because it has a little more spunk to it.

The series took about 30 episodes to get interesting and even then it didn’t last long. One let down after another for the character. Seriously, it was like “what next”

Although it picks up after episode 30, my honest opinion is that you will begin to notice a trend going on. And that trend is one friend rescuing the other over and over again and being put down when things don’t go the way the other people intended it to. You will notice a pattern of sadness and selfishness.

I watched the last four episodes with only partial subs and I will say that it was a mirrored reflection of the entire series which was slow, uneventful and sad. although there were a few things that were heartfelt or emotional it was nothing different from the beginning. To this point I cannot see how the title ties into the series at all. Maybe I skipped a scene or two and the term another me was used, I have no idea. I absolutely, most positively cannot recommend this series to my hopeless romantic‘s, action films lovers, comedy lovers, cuteness lovers, great chemistry lovers or those that like a good plot. This series lacks all of those things. This series reminds me of one of those stories where everyone is depressed and resolved to be miserable. They wrap up the ending with a somewhat more positive note but still sad for some. Just noooo.

Comparison:
“meteor garden” but much sadder and slower pace-painfully
“Ode to joy” but slightly slower and less humor
“Single ladies senior” but much longer

NATSUK4SHII
Sep 24, 2019
I stopped watching this drama a couple of times, but tried my best to finish watching it because I personally can't stand not finishing any dramas. But the plot of this drama... it is quite cliche and just, too much? The main character An Sheng, that is portrayed by Shen Yue, gives up easily for her best friend, Qi Yue, portrayed by Chen Du Ling. I understand that she really treasures the friendship and would do anything for her, but sometimes some of the scenarios are just too much? And their friendship goes under the rocks as many problems occur, but in like an episode or two, they're back to being best friends. An Sheng has also done selfish things to Qi Yue, but tries to justify it as doing it for Qi Yue's good. But close to the end of the drama, I feel extremely bad for An Sheng, because I realised that her entire life story is just very sad, but Qi Yue has such a good life story. I don't really understand why the script must be written in a way that An Sheng's life is just going to be this plain sad, and everything she does, would not benefit her and benefits Qi Yue instead. In the first 40 episodes, the plot moved very slowly, but in the last ten episodes, it just feels like a F1 race, where the plots just speeds up. Just in short, it's not a drama that you would finish watching or want to even re-watch.

However, I would say that Shen Yue is good at portraying her character, because I truly feel bad for her when I watch the drama. However, Chen Du Ling's acting. . . I feel that she isn't able to portray much emotions? Like I don't feel touched by her acting at all.

roseandsunflower
I don't think anyone here is actually reviewing this piece properly. Most are saying "it's too sad, Ansheng is always thrown aside!" Hate to break it to you but how does having more negative topics make a drama any less than others? I'd say this is one of the more realistic dramas out there. The story is one of the least cliche, and it portrays something that could actually happen in real life. The acting is spectacular, all the emotional scenes make you on edge. Especially Shen Yue, who impresses me in this considering where she came from (Meteor Garden). Her acting has improved so much since then it's impeccable and unbelievable. A favorite aspect of mine is the OST, it fits perfectly with the tone of the drama and brings more tension when it needs to. I do have to admit, there are annoying and frustrating characters such as Qiyue and her college friends. But when I rewatched it the second time, I wasn't as irritated at Qiyue because I realized, "look at it from her perspective". The drama portrays realistic characters who you can see in real life. A "perfect" girl, a "wild and carefree" one. Just because we as an audience feel bad for Ansheng, that doesn't mean this drama automatically is terrible. Just because Ansheng's experiences are horrible, doesn't make the drama horrible. Because the way they portrayed this somewhat tragedy is impeccable. The constant betrayal and lost is tearjerking, but it still is a great watch. I recommend this 100%!

Kcristo
Oct 2, 2019
Especially An Sheng's role. And especially when confronting her Mother (not giving away spoilers I won't say any more) Good looking cast too. Although I appreciated the acting skills in this drama I was so bored every other episode it was painful to actually finish watching it. And the advertising placements were over the top. It's one thing to see a brand name beverage in every episode but to actually have the characters say "this is so refreshing" every time they drink it is ridiculous. .lol. lol subtle placement is fine, we get the point.
Dropped 29/53
sleepy821
Aug 29, 2019
Dropped 0
I can honestly say that I am definitely not a fan of such kind of dramas but still watched it because of Shen Yue's acting as I loved all her previous dramas. This drama started off me crying terribly (yes, legit my tears came dripping) because of how touching the first few episodes were and it really made me pity An Sheng's character. The crying scenes were indeed heartbreaking so prepare your tissues. Don't expect too much for the background music and OSTs because it literally felt like I was in the 1980s, nothing amazing. I did not add any of the songs to my drama playlist as compared to other Cdramas that I would usually do (like Meteor Garden, Accidentally in Love).

I was super particular about Shen Yue's hair in the first 20 episodes. I know this drama wanted to show how she had long hair in high school and then really short hair when she went to work but the hair extensions in the first 20 episodes were super obvious and messy. As someone who is very meticulous when watching dramas and observing the characters, I can't help but to find how her hairstyle with those extensions totally messed it up.

Furthermore, I couldn't feel any chemistry between Qi yue and Jiaming/Handong. It feels very forced and Jia Ming's facial expression was not the best. During Qi Yue's university life and constant bickering with Jiaming, it feels WAYYY too draggy and at that point I felt like totally dropping this drama because I felt like the uni part could've been shorter if it wasn't Qi Yue and Jia ming's trust issues with each other. So probably thats why I am not liking how Qi yue interacts with them in this drama probably because the main focus would be Qi Yue with Ansheng. I could feel the friendship between Qi Yue and Ansheng and during those times how hard it was between them, I really can relate to it.

There's lots of cliffhangers during end of the episode, making me wanna continue to watch it and having the feeling of excitement. Ultimately, I still wanted to see Qi Yue and Ansheng and Handong's interactions during the work life cos to me thats the exciting part where all the backstabbing and emotional part happens.

Overall, a good drama worth watching in my opinion and easy to understand. My Chinese isn't the best so when watching Cdramas (without subs) it must be logical and understandable to me. This drama gives you tears, SOME LITTLE laughs, seriousness and some frustration.

Dropped 14/53
lily_weki
Aug 4, 2019
Dropped 2
Although I haven't watched all episodes, I can already tell that this drama will be one of my favourites for the year. I first heard about it when I found out Shen Yue would be starring in it-I didn't especially enjoy her role in 'meteor garden' but I thought that maybe she improved in this role and I was not disappointed. Her acting so far has been exceptional and authentic.

The story is basically about two women who have been best friends since youth but have totally opposing personalities. Qi Yue is more logical, straight forward and prefers to have her future planned out whereas An sheng is free spirited, open minded and careless. I think, in ways, it is a coming of age story. There are quite a few complications that arise between time like falling for the same guy and jealousy but the portrayal of these complications are done so realistically and honestly, hats off to all the cast (especially Shen yue , Cui Bao Yue and Dylan Xiong). I can empathise with an Sheng so much and I adore her character. I also think that people shouldn't be so harsh on Qi Yue. Yes she can be quite stubborn and ignorant, but we really have to view thing from her perspective. I don't know what the future holds for this drama but the cinematography, acting, story and music is undeniably beautiful.