A Gift to the People You Hate (2019) poster

66 titles 71 loves 1
GMM TV dramas

Silente 08
Dec 25, 2019
Even though the final episode was somewhat disappointing – quite anticlimactic, in my opinion – I have to give this a straight 10/10. The Friday spot was already doing strong with the great “3 Will Be Free”, but with this series GMMTV reaches a new high for me. I even rate this higher than “The Gifted” (which admittedly had a much stronger finale) because I think that it stands out more from the common themes and settings of average GMMTV series. Additionally, I am a bit biased because the storyline reminds me of a story I wrote myself many years ago (about a masked person manipulating other people by “channeling” their hatred, leading them to ultimately become murderers and be haunted by their conscience); I guess I should check out the comic this was based on.

The only negative thing I can say about “Gift for the People You Hate” is the already mentioned anticlimactic finale. I didn’t know what to expect from it (as from the series in general), but many parts were still too predictable (the PM’s suicide for example); the plot twist with Ploy’s gifts seemed a bit pointless (did her action have any effect at all in the end?); and the metaphorical character of the whole tale was made too obvious in the end, ruining a bit of the mystery surrounding the shop.

Enough with the negatives. First of all, Kanittha Kwanyu did an amazing job! The way the story was told episode for episode, with interesting episode titles, atmospherically brilliant shots (the sudden shaky effect whenever the shopkeeper appeared was a great idea) and well-used flashbacks (causing even more confusion about who actually ordered what gift), cannot be praised enough. We need more directors like her (and less like Dan Worrawech, seriously!), probably more female directors in general.

Similarly, the actors were all doing their very best. I can’t think of a bad performance of anyone throughout the series, although I still have my problems with Aye; not sure if that is based on her acting qualities though. Definitely good casting decisions, and the screen time of the actors was well-distributed (I wouldn’t have minded to see some more of Victor though). This has also one of the most interesting title songs I have heard in any Thai series, such a nice genre mix. The overall soundtrack was composed very well, not too repetitive like in many other cases.

What else can I say? I think the underlying theme of the series, which is a big metaphor on the deepest abysses of human behaviour, is conveyed in a very impressive way. It literally hurts seeing everyone being manipulated by unmotivated hatred. Throwing in a story of corruption in Thai politics worked out nicely as well. I am totally sold and hoping for more of this!

Dace
Dec 22, 2019
Ever since the trailer came out, I couldn't wait for the show to finally air.

STORY: Through out the whole show there's one message which the viewer has to see and it's shown at the end as well. Through the characters of the show, we are shown what hate does to us and uses a lot of metaphors which I absolutely love! Every character has their meaning and has the screen time they deserve to tell their own story of how to have come to a point where they are now.

CAST: One of the reasons I wanted to watch it was because of the cast. After watching many Thai series, I have seen many good and not so good actors and this show for sure has the good ones. Tony (Chut), Mek (Num), Fiat (Oat), Victor (Krit) and many many others. Oh and of course we cannot forget the greatest character of all: The Shop Owner. THIS is the character that gave that humorous and that sarcastic vibe to the show which I JUST LOVE!!! The actor (I guess it's the one who played Chut's dad) executed the role just perfectly! All those little mannerisms, the way he talked, all of it just gave me the chills and that intriguing feeling every time.

MUSIC: I can't say anything other than the music really did give the right vibe of the show. Especially the OST. Even added it to my playlist.

REWATCH VALUE: I would 100% rewatch it. I would say that this for sure is one of my favourite shows this year. GMMTV has really been stepping up their game with shows like these.

OVERALL: This story brings along a really good message all through out it and concludes it at the end. Hate is always going to be there. Someone is going to have it. It may never leave this world, no matter how much we would want it to. We will just keep spending our life years on hating others and only when we are about to die, we will understand that all if this hate has been so useless and we have LOST those years that we could have spent with our loved ones, who hate will ultimately take away from us. The more we hate, the more years we spend. That's just the reality...

PsychosinnerWokeAsian
Dec 22, 2019

Honestly good idea but bland execution. Most of the supporting cast was over acting and the camera work was nothing exceptional and the script was really good at times but it seriously lacked the darkness it promises in the first few episodes. The way they did the shop it was brilliant, and every arc surrounding that mystery was really good but the rest was lukewarm at best.

I mean all my favorite actors they ruined the viewing experience especially Fiats story line was such a mess! What were they even thinking? He went from being a perp to being a victim so there should have given some explanation for his obsession with Mek's sister Prang but he would just conveniently pop up and then gone and even the way they decided to end his arc was just ridiculous and a complete waste of an actor and BLAND.

It's a horror drama ffs! And you show everything offscreen?! Then don't call it horror! Then Mek and his sister I was really into their story and the Ploy - Supasit plot was seriously so STUPID it bugged me and that was like most of the drama so WHAT THE ACTUAL F. And Supersits character was OBNOXIOUS which is fine if you want a one dimensional villain but then he keeps going all soft in the middle for his daughter like WHAT. Why are you giving this waste of space more screen time and you're asking me to buy his bs after what he did to Ploy?

And all the vigilante nonsense was just as boring and pure nonsense.

The only reason I stayed after the Fiat debacle was because in the last few episodes the plot became Toni-centric. And like I said the writing isn't even an issue it's the way they added so much boring stuffing. But I have to say that ending was ON POINT without a doubt. Clever, unique and twisted. Which is more than I can say for the rest of the show.

ririkoasada
Dec 1, 2019

Good Concept But Not Fleshed Out Convincingly

A/N: I’m still watching this series & will update my review after I’m finished. But for those who’re curious about the show, I’d say it’s another successful thriller from GMMTV. This time, with a philosophical twist.

What’s good so far:
It starts from a small problem with low stakes to eventually asking a moral question to the audience—How do you want to deal with your hatred? Each character from the show reveals an aspect of hatred that increasingly blurs the line between reason and paranoia. It shows that “justice” can be subjective and personal vendetta brings ruins.

What could be better:
Some of the characters’ motivation for why to send the gift is not convincing enough, or wasn’t fleshed out fully in the show. If feelings were driving these actions, it didn’t show well in the show. Some of the scenes were a little dragged on but fortunately they didn’t really ruin the overall pace. Just took you out of the moment a little bit.

I’m still excited to watch this every Friday so I’d recommend you go watch it! The Eng Sub is pretty quick.