Two Weddings and a Funeral (2012) poster

Sammyx3
Dec 17, 2012
There was not a thing to dislike about this movie! It was HILARIOUS. There were serious parts thrown in, but regardless.. overall a MUST WATCH. Both parties had something to gain from faking their marriage - It isn't really one of those contract marriages we see a lot in Kdrama land, but instead something beneficial for both parties - Seo-young & Hyo-Jin Can adopt a baby, and Minsoo can hide being gay from his parents. The moral of the story hits home - BE WHO YOU ARE. The awkward scenes MADE this movie. I didn't really recognize the actors/actresses, but BOY OH BOY were they good. This movie was a hoot. Had me laughing until tears came out, and crying until nothing was left. Definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen - Plus, one of the best examples that melodrama & comedy CAN go hand in hand!

1004_blue
Jun 19, 2015
I really truly love this movie.

It's adorable, Lee Seok and Min Soo are the sweetest thing on this planet since chocolate, and even though Hyo-jin and her partner didn't get the same amount of screen time, they were still a joy to see.

Some people have said it, but there was some overacting especially with G-Voice (because I doubt that some, if any, of those actors are actually gay...), but somehow I didn't seem to mind. They were a bunch of friends who felt comfortable with each other, not just because of their shared sexuality, and the bond between them is strong. I really envied their friendship, which made the climax that much harder to watch.

"Two Weddings and a Funeral." You know going in that someone is going to die, and I won't say who, but I did not expect to cry that hard. The character's loss is astounding, and the events leading up to it really hit home; the struggles Min Soo faces as a closet homosexual in a homophobic environment are mind-opening, and the struggles he faces are true, in Korea and in many parts of America as well. The film carries a powerful message, and manages to balance the scale with a healthy dose of fun, fluff, and hot kisses. <3

I definitely recommend this movie to a viewer who enjoys LGBT-themed movies, and to someone who... screw it, everyone should watch this movie!

ggre au
Dec 22, 2014
I HAVE WATCHED THIS MOVIE MORE THAN TWICE! Lost count.
I love the story that they portray throughout the movie and does twist without giving away too much. The actors are good and some funning lines throughout. Songs are catchy.
Does have a good ending which is a relief. Due to the situation in Korea this movie does show the hardships that one goes through if Korean and Gay.
I want to buy the DVD for Australia use but can not find any way to buy. Pity.
Vanessa
Jun 6, 2015
Here am I, writing my first review ever, yay!

What I disliked about the movie:
- Personally, I think the actors overacted from time to time. There's a possibilty that the overacting had been planned and the whole thing is in order to make the movie funny while the main charcters are hitting their rock bottoms? 50%idk 50% idc. It was just too much for me and it was out of place.
- The plot was nothing special, just being different with its pros and cons.. I mean, there are fanfics with more interesting plot. I'm not saying this one is bad, I'm just saying it's average which is somehow unsatisfying.
- Some people just didn't get enough screen time like when you see the poster you expect to watch these four but then there's a supporting role that gets more screen time than one of the main characters.
- There are some totally unrealistic situations and decisions that characters make, which I can't tell you now, because we all know I'm not gonna spoil your time.

What I liked about the movie:
- There were some hilarious scenes and It was really fun to watch.
- The interactions between the main characters were totally cute and If you're here to fangirl(as me), you'll totally love it!
- The movie is something definitely uncommon, new and fresh and it's not the tradional mainstream boring stuff. On top of that, It was entertaining till the very end.

I really don't know why the what-I-dsliked list turned out to be longer, but I guarantee you that the advantages dominate the bad things about the movie. As everything around us, this one definitely has its flaws, but overall I definitely recommend it to you. I even think watching it with your buddy will make it even more hilarious and enjoyable. Hope I wasn't too harsh about this one, haha

CorinaCynth
Feb 29, 2016
This movie was hilarious! I really liked it and I highly recommend it, especially if you don't mind LGBT movies. It was really fun to watch!
Namjoonoodles
Mar 7, 2016
I was really interested to watched Two Weddings and a Funeral when I heard about it although I am not going to lie I was slightly dissapointed overall with the plot.

Although the acting seemed fairly decent throughout the movie I couldn't help but feel as if the movie went at a fairly quick pace and especially the relationship between Minsoo and Seok as it was very abrupt and sudden which shocked me slightly.

It seemed as if the story was much more focussed on Minsoo and Seok than it was Hyojin and Seoyeong as they clearly had less screen time.

There were some nice moments during the movie which were really touching and sweet but personally I thought that some moments were slightly too fast paced and I also lost track of the days and the period in which this drama was filmed as it doesn't make it clear.

As many people have already stated there was a fair bit of over reacting in this drama which mostly centered around the homosexual males in G-Voice although there were still a variety of different people with different personalities showing that your sexuality does not change who you are as a person and people who are homosexual do not all have the same personalities and attitudes.

I love how this movie is spreading positivity for the LGBTQ community in Korea and it makes me so happy to see the media opening up to these subjects showing that Korea is also becoming more open about it over time although as a movie itself I did not believe it was fantastic but I would not tell anyone not watch it as it surely worth watching.

tattylovestofly
Apr 19, 2017
This is a very relatable movie for those within the LGBT+ community as it not only covers the struggles of being within the closet but also the struggles those who are openly out, family hardships and the general backlash the LGBT+ community have. The only downfall that I would highlight in this movie is that the characters are a little OTT, however seeing as it's one of the few successful movies covering such a sensitive topic within Korea, and the fact that the actors were probably not gay themselves, it is a point which I would be willing to over look.
The film itself focuses mainly on Min-soo (Kim Dong-yoon), a gay but closeted man who marries a lesbian woman, Hyo-jin (Ryu Hyun-kyung), to hide within the closet and away from his peers. Both of these main characters are doctors and although Min-soo marries for the social aspect, his wife only wanted to be able to adopt a child with her girlfriend. The main background characters include Min-soo's lovely boyfriend, his quirky and queer walking stereotypical gay possy (drag queen included), and Hyo-jins (also stereotyped) girlfriend. Each background character has their own story which builds subtle layers into the story, enriching the plot around them. If one can't relate to the main characters then there is probably a character for you to fall in love with behind the scenes. With this said I wouldn't say there was much depth or development of the characters until the end, not that they had NO depth, it was just limited. I would perhaps lay this on the actors as they, according to the director, didn't quite understand the concept of homosexuality within their acting. We could link this back to towards their overplaying of the gay stereotype.
My favourite character was Tina, just for the way he lived as a background character and yet became such a key character in Min-Soos character development. He was a shoulder to lean on and made you smile in his appearances.
There is a balance within the movie between the comedic value and the actual message the movie is trying to portray to its audience. There are a lot of fine lines within Korea's attitude towards LGBT+, a few of which they ignored in the movie which I was pleasantly surprised at. After finishing the movie I found out that it was directed by Kim Jho Gwang-soo, who just so happens to be one of the few openly gay directors (and unofficially married!) within Korea. Two Weddings and a Funeral was his fourth movie about the gay community, if you wish to check the previous films out then they are as follows: Boy Meets Boy, Just Friends?, Ghost (Be With Me) and LOVE, 100°C. I am not acquainted with them so I don't know if they are good or not. Sorry. There was some slight dislike towards the almost fairytail like way the male lead and and his boyfriend so quickly fell in love, but to be honest it was not a factor which greatly impacted the flow. I did um and ar when the idea of running away to Paris came up. However I was more enamoured by the story then minor details such as that. The overall story gave an effect which gives the viewer a bittersweet movie and a sad smile on their face at the end.
I personally enjoyed the music within this movie, despite the complaints that it sounded amateurish. It was sweet and matched with the scenes well. The musical numbers were interesting to a certain standard, not ones I had heard before. There isn't much I can say about this aspect apart from that I will most likely add the soundtrack to my collection of random music.

Overall I would say that although the acting, the music and the story didn't completely standout for me it is still an excellent movie. Somehow the combination of these elements fills a satisfying hole inside. As one of the few successful queer films which Korea has produced, it certainly sets a stepping stone in the Korean LGBT+ community. Yes. It's VERY much a stereotype. But it is a gay film directed by a gay director who is showing his representation of how he sees and is involved in his own gay community.
If nothing else it's a cute movie which made me both smile and cry. 100% recommend. What more do you need to know?

noemie
Jun 21, 2016
This movie is perfect! Get ready for some ( a lot) second hand embarresment!
fullsmile
Jul 7, 2013
When I started this movie, I wished that the ending will be a man and a woman to be together. And I was disappointed with the ending X_X.

But the point is, just be your self, no matter will happen to you. You can't hide something forever. You need your courage to be a real you.

This movie also teach me how to take people whoever he is. You have the option to permit or not they achieve them self. Love is just it is.

Actualy I don't really love this movie :)