Drama Special Season 3: When I Was The Prettiest

ForeverHN
Oct 12, 2012
Really, I only watched this because of Lee Jong Suk, but the other actors really impressed me. This is the perfect example of love at first sight and when a guy falls in love with a girl who was sick. This is a sad yet lovely story. The fact that they guy fell in love with a woman not only older than him but was also married and had a child shows the power of love. What I liked about this special was that they so clearly showed the possibilities of happiness even when on the verge of death. What I didn't like about it was the ending. I felt it was incomplete.

But I would definitely not mind watching this again. :)

Clemi-chan
Apr 29, 2013
Something's weird with the summary but anyway it was already mentioned before.
I thought this drama/special (call it how you want) was really good, because it talked about something important in our society. I thought it would be light, but it was actually serous. Yet it was also beautiful and gives hope, and that's what makes it beautiful.
Lee Jong Suk and Jun Ye Seo's acting are also really good and the ost is really beautiful.
I also think it has a good rewatch value, because it can make everybody understand new things :)
The story is not only about illness, nor love. It's about relationships between people, and other deep values of our society.
I advise you to watch it, but be ready for the feels!

Mareina
Oct 19, 2012
The synopsis here is totally missleading. It's no university setting at all. I mistakenly thought it was about him meeting a (healthy) girl when his girlfriend is sick and the sense of duty towards his girlfriend. It's also not him who is doing the growing and learning part but rather the girl. It's more like he is teaching her.

The guy-with-sick-girlfriend-falls-in-love-with-other-girl part is accurate, though.

That said, it was a nice and beautiful short story. It wasn't what I expected, but I liked it nonetheless.
The acting is really good, so it's easy to sympathize with the characters in spite of the short amount of time. I didn't watch this because of Lee Jong Suk, but it sure made me notice him a lot more. If you watch this because of him I'm sure you won't be disapointed.

The short time is another forte of this special - it never get's draggy.

I'm not much of a rewatcher, but I might watch this again because it's beautiful and Lee Jong Suk is so damn hot.

P.S. if you watch this, you will be rewarded with hot kisses ;P

Amarei
Jan 9, 2013
Like another reviewer said, the synopsis of this story is misleading. The only thing correct is the male lead nursing his sick girlfriend only to fall in love with (another) sick woman. I felt that the main female lead was the one that learned to grow to love and accept herself as she is.

I watched this mainly for Lee Jong Suk. The story was interesting, but the way it was told did not do the story justice. I felt it was too rushed fitting in the span of one episode when it could have been paced slower and better as a movie or a short drama with maybe 3 episodes. While I did cry, I think if the story was paced better, I would've bawled. I thought the acting by the cast of actors was splendid and believable, which was probably the reason why I did cry.

The music wasn't terrible. Though I'm surprised this wasn't rated with a 19+ age restriction by the Korea Rating Media Board with the way Lee Jong Suk kissed Jun Ye Seo. (And the sound effects from that!) O.O

Overall its not a bad drama. I never really rewatch things, but I wouldn't mind if I had to. And if you're here for Lee Jong Suk, you won't be disappointed.

mssarahlm
Sep 27, 2013
watched this special drama last night before going to sleep and made me think what's the message they want to share to the audience. i always prefer to watch drama than watching a movie or special drama like this but i did give it a try this time as i was curious anyway what's the story about. it's just i always think that asian movies or special drama like this are weird... but not all of it now, just some.

to my review to this special drama.

i can say it is worth watching.

it has a re watch value too.

the first time he saw her was a love at first sight. i think it's cute and sweet but bitter as the woman is dying soon.

yes he have a girlfriend there but as what i have watched and understand he is already over with her.. i think before going to the hospital... which it didnt explain why.

i pity the dying lady here because she didnt enjoy her life. it's like the last remaining days of her life, she is treated as a patient here. in the beginning her son is not close to her that i really feel sorry for her. it's complicated.

but when she met him in the hospital everything changes. but it's too late. so her decision to leave him is alright for me. she could runaway with him if she wants too but the fact she is a married woman with a son... hmmm... her decision to leave her family too especially she have a son is a no no to me. i think that's selfish. but if your going to think about it that's really happening in real life.

so all in all, it's a very good short drama special. worth watching and will give you a good value of lessons in life. ;) x

PKsuperfan
Mar 30, 2014
The synopsis here is very misleading. It is instead about a young guy with a girl friend falling in love with a older lady at a hospital. If you want to watch this because you like Lee Jong Suk, then it could be quite enjoyable. But, this story in itself has no happy or good ending for any characters involved.

A good lesson may be learned by watching this drama, but, it is not enough to make me recommend this story to anyone.

Infact, this story is kinda depressing to say the least. But, at least you can see a few kisses that are pretty well done. The rewatch value of this story as a whole to me is very little.

Lorrapatricia
Sep 9, 2016
A slice of life film , that made me do some heavy duty thinking. When a drama does that for me. I already consider it a great Movie. There's really nothing I didn't like about this movie. It never ceases to surprise me what can be done with a range of emotions in a tiny space of time. Acting is really a wonderful craft when it's done well.
mobosies
Jan 27, 2015
This drama special is so interesting. It brought to my mind the book about the five love languages, which is about how there are five different ways we show/give/receive love, and how some people do not speak all of the languages. The way I saw it, the husband was trying to suffocate his wife with what he called love, and she good naturedly accepted it.

I Loved Lee JongSeoks character; He's so precious and innocent, I Love it. I will Always Love every character he plays. I will always love him, I dont know what it is, He is just so adorable. I think he could be a psycho ax murderer and I would still root for him TT~TT

Th erealtionships in this drama also made me think that When you love someone, you should love them always. Always. they may get sick, but you shouldnt add the suffix of "sick" or "dying" to them or their name. Just Love them. owwwwie this drama hurts my feel bads TT~TT

So in the end, the drama was about live your life for you; its wonderful to be able to live for others, but You will be the one left with all the consequences; regret, happiness, Its all on You.

This was an amazing special. and you can catch this jem on youtube!! KBS is da bomb~

Feb 23, 2017
Love, disease and betrayal boils down to When I Was The Prettiest, I'm still trying to figure out what led Yoon Jung Hyuk (Lee Jong Suk) to become interested in Lee Sin Ae (Jeon Ik Ryung), OMG! He had Kim Yoon Ah (Kim Soo Yeon) who in my opinion is so, super prettier, alias I love those long locks of hers, in the end he's left for him, who knows, go and find out what's going on in this young man's head .
The criticism is on account of the taxi driver, visible nervousness during the recording, no one gets so tense driving.
As for the story, well I do not have an opinion, I found it reasonable, maybe everyday, I do not know, but it is a drama more or less, I particularly did not like it.