Libera Me (2000) poster

• Movie: Libera Me
  • Country: South Korea
  • Release Date: Nov 11, 2000
  • Duration: 1 hr. 59 min.
  • Genres: Action, Drama
  • Rating: Not Yet Rated

Yoon Na Rae
Jan 22, 2015
I'm paralysed now. I am numb and I cannot fathom how I feel, much less express it.

In all aspects; this is a masterpiece. Not only that the fire scenes throughout the film were shot in real buildings and used real fire. The story, production and acting were flawless; this much I can guarantee.

If you thought you had any idea of what suffering might feel like -like I did- you're going to rethink after watching this. The amount of pain every single second carries is nothing I would tolerate. I had a rough idea of how bad firefighters suffer, but after this everything changes. To be stuck between saving a comrade and saving yourself in the middle of the flames is hell in itself; that's where the title came from. I should not have started this after reading the title; I shouldn't.

Libera Me playing in the background all the time drags you into the depth of hell; actual hell.

Friendship, sacrifice, love, duty, pain and traumas are all depicted most brilliantly and excruciatingly here. I gaped at the screen amazed at how complicated and pathetic we humans are. And I cried for the same reason.

I watched almost 100 Korean films and I can confidently ask you to watch it. I'm too numb to write a good review.