KZRocks:
-overall a really fun episode, hope to see you guys on the next episode! It would be really fun watching with more people.

I will be on board for next week. For me, joining the party, live, means getting up at 6AM and I just forgot to turn on my alarm. I won't forget for our next-coming episode. =)

dllmzca:

As a retired nurse, I can say that there simply isn't time for niceties when a medical situation is serious. I know it was abrupt for Tian, but the Doc needed to assess the situation immediately.

Yes, and even Tian understood. It was a life and death  situation, just can’t help but feel bad. 

That's the sign of a kind heart. =)

Jaybird17:

I'd love to join you in the sync tube next time and I'm sorry I couldn' t make it. How fun would it have been to watch it with you guys

Yes, it really was fun.    After so many months in pandemic-isolation, it was really enjoyable to do the watch with other like-minded people.    Do join next time!!

dllmzca:

I will be on board for next week. For me, joining the party, live, means getting up at 6AM and I just forgot to turn on my alarm. I won't forget for our next-coming episode. =)

Oooooof.   Above and beyond the call.   For us in Asia, it just means putting down our Friday drinks for long enough to log on.....

KZRocks:
Chief really says the most hurtful words when he’s angry or full of emotion (?), i guess it’s a bit of hint of how he would react in future episodes. Some of the things he said when he conronted Tian after the incident still pinches my heart, but i can also see where Phupha is coming from

This brings back one of the points I made last night, about Phu really being completely responsible for the villagers' continuing ignorance of Torfun's true fate.   Last night, we saw again that he lied to them, and he instructed Yod and Yang to lie to them.   And in that light, I think when we get to the point where he blames Tian for deceiving the villagers, it will look pretty nasty.  I am looking forward to watching that bit again and discussing.     While Earth does a really really good job of making Phu into a lovable Green Giant, I think that the character was not without his flaws......

A couple other comments from last night that others may be interested in:

--  The scene where Tian is introducing himself to the kids is really wonderful.    The kids are great little actors, and the cinematography  (use of light, close-ups on faces, etc) was great, too.

--  The music in Ep 2 is so variable!!!!   Several of the scenes are full of cringey GMM low-budget noise.   Examples:  the "eating spicy food" scene and the "Phu walks Tian home" scene.  Really dislike that stuff.  On the other hand, the background music changes abruptly when Phu is helping Tian hang the mosquito net.....the piano version of the theme song is lovely.   And the piano+orchestra that plays in the background in the scene when Tian reflects on what he wants in his life is truly wonderful!   That music absolutely MAKES that scene.  

--  The line where Tian says he prefers to eat uncooked noodles struck me as truly bizarre.   I mean, no one eats dried instant noodles from the package, do they?    Other commentators last night said it could be a mistranslation -- that what he was likely to have said was "I prefer to eat less-cooked noodles," and that at least would be logical.

dllmzca:
the gecko sounds is a staple at night.

The gecko sounds struck me, too......reminded me of my years of living in Thailand.  (Had geckos under the eaves even in the center of Bangkok.)

Ah, one more thing we discussed last night:   I was asking if Pha Pun Dao is a real place.  (I haven't read the book and don't know any more than is in the series.)   It seems not.   But Google maps shows a Pha Pun village and a stream named Pha Pun Dong (the waterfall stream?). https://goo.gl/maps/aRjFQHWDpZqrjJ219    It is located in Chiang Mai province, not really near the border.  

BraveAppointment1:

Oooooof.   Above and beyond the call.   For us in Asia, it just means putting down our Friday drinks for long enough to log on.....

It's worth it for good fellowship and conversation. =)

BraveAppointment1:
-- The scene where Tian is introducing himself to the kids is really wonderful. The kids are great little actors, and the cinematography (use of light, close-ups on faces, etc) was great, too.

Absolutely! Utterly charming!

BraveAppointment1:
-- The music in Ep 2 is so variable!!!! Several of the scenes are full of cringey GMM low-budget noise. Examples: the "eating spicy food" scene and the "Phu walks Tian home" scene. Really dislike that stuff. On the other hand, the background music changes abruptly when Phu is helping Tian hang the mosquito net.....the piano version of the theme song is lovely. And the piano+orchestra that plays in the background in the scene when Tian reflects on what he wants in his life is truly wonderful! That music absolutely MAKES that scene.

Did you know that  MDL member Vent Pire compiled a Sptofy list of the songs used in the series? I put a link to it in a different Discussion listing...

BraveAppointment1:
While Earth does a really really good job of making Phu into a lovable Green Giant, I think that the character was not without his flaws......

One of the things that I liked about this series is that both Tian and Phupha were portrayed with flaws. They both had learning to do as the series progressed.

BraveAppointment1:

Ah, one more thing we discussed last night:   I was asking if Pha Pun Dao is a real place.  (I haven't read the book and don't know any more than is in the series.)   It seems not.   But Google maps shows a Pha Pun village and a stream named Pha Pun Dong (the waterfall stream?). https://goo.gl/maps/aRjFQHWDpZqrjJ219    It is located in Chiang Mai province, not really near the border.  

Far, far back in the main discussions' threadstream, @joeyBKK posted information about the locations, but it might be hard to go through and find it...

BraveAppointment1:

This brings back one of the points I made last night, about Phu really being completely responsible for the villagers' continuing ignorance of Torfun's true fate.   Last night, we saw again that he lied to them, and he instructed Yod and Yang to lie to them.   And in that light, I think when we get to the point where he blames Tian for deceiving the villagers, it will look pretty nasty.  I am looking forward to watching that bit again and discussing.     While Earth does a really really good job of making Phu into a lovable Green Giant, I think that the character was not without his flaws...... 

I agree, i kept thinking “the audacity!”. Telling the villagers about torfun shouldn’t be Tians burden in the first place. That just added to Tians guilt. I agree about Earths acting, he really makes him still sympathetic/ likable even if his actions are really questionable. That for me is good acting.