So all eps have aired on mgtv.

For those who are wondering what kind of ending it is, the ending is open to interpretation, though personally I find it to be a sad ending.

Ending spoilers ahead:

The ending feels really rushed and isn't quite satisfying to me, which is a pity considering the really strong starting episodes. Such a shame, it had the ingredients for greatness. Really wish the production team spent another 2-3 episodes to flesh things out and properly explain FL's  past and powers. Would be nice if questions relating to the butterfly curse and Mdm Yuan were answered too. 

From what I've read there are multiple interpretations of the ending, depending on whether you wanna believe in the Good Ending (GE) or Bad Ending (BE).

-I wish I can believe in the GE where everyone lives and is happy but the events in Ep 22 feel too perfect and dream-like that I have trouble buying it. On the other hand, a BE where both Marquis and Changfeng dies is too sad so I want to believe in a happier ending.

-There's a theory that the whole Ep 1-21 was just FL's nightmare but that makes the whole story feel so pointless so this ending is a nope for me.

-I like the theory that the "happily ever after" sequence of events in Ep 22 is a prophetic dream of Qianyue much like the one she has in Ep 1, but  Kun Qing's line in Ep 21 ("A month ago, the black peony trees bloomed") strongly implies the Marquis' death ): ...

-Changfeng surviving sounds more plausible (the bell ringing in Ep 21 also implies his return), but there are also details suggesting he's dead (the ghostly way in which he manifests when Qianyue sees him etc)...Argh it's too sad to have both brothers dead so ig I'll choose to believe that he managed to return to his beloved wife and child.

-The producer mentioned that the ending is subjective and it's a BE in his heart while it's a HE in the scriptwriter's heart... What's the ending in your heart?

It doesn't seem like it's a HE. I think the last episode is more of a dream. Like her wishing, where everyone is happy, they get together and spend time as a family, etc. I do think Chang feng is gone since he prob sacrifice to save her and the baby. Since the madam said one must transfer blood to a relative. in order to save her. Also, when she woke up again she sees him checking up on his sword like he did at the beginning, it could be he's alive. But if that's true, their child should be there as well but i don't see.  So it might just her wishing of seeing him. I haven't got that far since i am on ep 13. But checking the last episode that's what i am guessing.

Thank you. I'm going to curl up and weep.

Personally, I think it's a happy ending. At the beginning of the show, she had a dream about the events that would eventually transpire the next day and the dream was pretty much exactly the same as what happened minus some details. Plus, when we first saw the dream, it didn't seem like a dream. So I am going to take it as, what the script writer is suggesting (especially since they wrote it), which is that all will be well soon and the family will be reunited.

Thank you. Yes, I hope for the HE, but the film director favors the BE. That tears my insides.

I'm going to just assume that what I just watched in ep 22 is the HE, I won't accept anything less.

EP 22 was clearly a dream and I doubt it was a premonition. Maybe they will indeed reunite, but without the two "unfilial sons" When they were cooking they showed scenes of the females playing with the child, something like that. 

considering just facts i think it's a BE which is really not bad. if everything goes well all the time then this drama will be like other dramas which in the last episode they decide to let's make it a happy one. 

facts:

1_ the Marquis is dead based on Kun Qing's line "A month ago, the mokui trees blossomed" ep21.

2_ The last episode except for last 30 seconds is obviously a dream which we understand from the ghostly appearance of her husband and child. the dream begins when she wakes up at the first second of episode until the last 30 seconds. she is just imagining a life where everyone is happy but sadly it's not the case here.

3_Changfeng is alive based on two things. first: the bell ringing at the end of the ep21. second: at the last 30 seconds of ep 22 when she REALLY wakes up, she sees Changfeng is checking  his swords.

in the end i enjoyed this drama

AmirTH:

considering just facts i think it's a BE which is really not bad. if everything goes well all the time then this drama will be like other dramas which in the last episode they decide to let's make it a happy one. 

facts:

1_ the Marquis is dead based on Kun Qing's line "A month ago, the mokui trees blossomed" ep21.

2_ The last episode except for last 30 seconds is obviously a dream which we understand from the ghostly appearance of her husband and child. the dream begins when she wakes up at the first second of episode until the last 30 seconds. she is just imagining a life where everyone is happy but sadly it's not the case here.

3_Changfeng is alive based on two things. first: the bell ringing at the end of the ep21. second: at the last 30 seconds of ep 22 when she REALLY wakes up, she sees Changfeng is checking  his swords.

in the end i enjoyed this drama 

Yea I accept this, I figured it was a dream. I'm just happy Changfeng returned to her and their daughter. 

I think the director believes in the saying “you can't have your cake and eat it”. Or simply put, sacrifice and  letting go.

The original Butterfly Lovers, the FL, went against convention to study  in a male school disguised as a male. She should also went against convention and eloped with the ML, sacrifrice and letting go of family.

HE for 1st couple as each spouse was willing to sacrifrice to make the other spouse lived with their child.

2 nd couple , the Marquis was unwilling to let go of his comatose sister until it was too late.

BTW, I wanted a HE for both couples and blamed the scriptwriter for not making his stand stronger ! He should had written; “the Marquis left before trees  started  flowering.”

The Marquis and the Princess appears to be the Butterfly Lovers. No HE for them. 

The Marquis had a more difficult decision than his stepbrother. He had the sad choice of letting his sister stay comatose or letting her die naturally. He couldn't kill her. What jammed him up was the Princess going behind his back to try and keep the sister alive. The Marquis took the Princess out to the villa where Ms Yuan was staying. It appears to be outside of the city, and like the the house where Qinyue and Chengfang were staying might be outside of the deadly pollen. But when she woke up,  Kun Qing mentioned that the Mokui tree had blossomed. And his comment and the Eunuch's grief stricken face implies that he perished from that. I guess it was a narrow thing in that there was no time to flee after the blood transference had been made.  Drinking the Black Peony soup wouldn't have enough time to take effect. 

He and his father have some serious blood ion their hands. 

I think that the director had final say about their fates. 

I hope that another visit to this universe will show the two couples with perhaps a son for the Princess. 

The end of ep. 21 and 22 potentially give us the same endings. Why have both?

To confirm the 1st couple have HE .

Confirm once OK, but twice?  

Chengfeng wiping the short sword blade and putting back into its scabbard is the same for the beginning of ep. 1 and the ending of ep. 22. How Qinyue wakes up is different. 

Is this the third time that she awakens that morning? Does she know enough to change the Future?

Take each title from each epi to acquire the whole meaning, much like a chapter classification, to turn it into HE. "Nightmare, Metamorposis" was the first episode. Epilogue 21: "When to Return to the West?” went west meant to be lost , disappear- the Marquis. “Earthy happiness" was epi 22. Consider the first title as a nightmare that metamorphosis/ transforms into a joyful dream.

Very good thank you.