A Theory behind ML's uncle and FL's mother's deaths ???

Okay, this might sound totally absurd, but based on what each of the characters saw when they were younger, I think one ghost took turns entering the mom's and uncle's body and killed both of them.

My second assumption is similar to the first, but then I think 2 ghosts are just fighting off each other by occupying the bodies.

I could be so totally wrong, but what's imagination there for?

I think the same, one ghost killing them by possessing them in turns. I'm just curious why the main characters don't remember their younger selves.

I think ML's uncle is the psychic of FL's mom and yes they probably encountered a powerful ghost or entity that they were not able to defeat causing their deaths. However, there might be a twist there in the end. Remember FL said that it was her fault her mom died? 

esay29:

I think ML's uncle is the psychic of FL's mom and yes they probably encountered a powerful ghost or entity that they were not able to defeat causing their deaths. However, there might be a twist there in the end. Remember FL said that it was her fault her mom died? 

Yeah I was wondering about that too, how the FL caused her mom's death. Or it could be that, she was you know, just saying it was her fault to avoid talking about it. The ML is after-all a stranger to her, why would she talk about such a sensitive topic with him?

Okay to copy and paste a couple comments I left on the main page, so it's all in one place :D (I love piecing together puzzles like these!)

1. "My working theory is Mom and Uncle worked together. Mom being the exorcise and Uncle being the psychic and that they ran into a spirit they couldn't exorcise and it killed them."

2. "We saw her mother being choked by a man who is possessed(the Uncle? I'm bad with faces). We saw the Uncle being choked by the mother while she is possessed by the same spirit. In Beom seems to have been present when his Uncle died. And Ji Ah was there when her mom died. Mom was possessed by the spirit, exorcised it but apparently that killed her? We know the exorcisms themselves don't kill, In Beom keeps surviving them, so why was she dead at the end?

Or maybe psychic can only be possessed when they die? Otherwise they would need to wear the necklace too right? Wait, virginity is a factor here too..... let's put that aside. Uncle gets possessed, kills Mom, Mom's body gets possessed, kills Uncle, Mom exorcises the spirit from her body but she's already dead? Or maybe the two deaths didn't even happen at the same time??"

We know from episode 5 that the flashbacks we've seen are likely unreliable, and are likely missing huge bits still. We also know that both kids were probably there at the same time (revising my earlier statement). I'm kind of assuming In Beom was possessed as a child and that's why Uncle brought him to Mom? Also why does Ji Ah think she killed her mom, nothing in the flashbacks so far explain that? Why did Mom need Ji Ah to stab her rather than do it herself? Could the act of exorcising herself be the thing that killed her?

Building on what others have said, here are my thoughts:

Mom and Uncle worked together as an Exorcist/Medium team until Uncle is possessed by a ghost too strong for Mom to kill.  In Uncle's body, Ghost sets the fire and kills people so Mom tried to exorcise him alone without finding another medium. Possessed Uncle kills Mom and then Ghost possesses Mom's body in order to kill Uncle. Here's where it becomes more a guess. Possessed Mom is going to finish off both kids (assuming they are both there based on individual flashbacks) but Mom comes back to fight for her body with the Ghost. Our FL exorcises the Ghost but can bring herself to stab Mom so Mom sticks around and becomes a vengeful ghost. 

Another idea is that the Ghost clings onto Mom's Ghost like the one friend did to the other?

Either way, I'm loving this drama so far. 

All of your theories are so good!!

and yeah the drama seems promising..

Update after Episode 5, flashbacks suggest that Uncle gets possessed sometime after the arson so my previous theories are not quite right. I'm ready for some secrets to come to light.

Mom died of cardiac arrest so did she have underlying health issues or was it caused by the possession. I'm also ready for some secrets revealed.

Is there no one curious about Ji-ah Secretary?

Why would she choose to hide In-Beom's true identity from Ji-ah?

Her whole Thing is sketchy. I mean not only was she hiding In Beom's identity she's actively working against Ji Ah finding out anything about that night. And is hiding a case file from 40 years ago that I assume is somehow relevant to what happened. I'm definitely curious. 

This show is driving me nuts but I'm really enjoying it. After watching episode 8 I am really rooting for those two to work together to uncover what happened before.

I'm not so sure anymore if the uncle is a psychic. If he was, In Bum's childhood would have been different since he has his uncle to guide him. If I remember right, he only gave that necklace right after the botched exorcism that happened 20 years ago.

I'm really hating Ji Ah's secretary. Whatever the circumstance, hiding the truth from someone you care about will eventually hurt them more in the end. I can see that she cares for Ji Ah but because of her silence about Im Bum's identity and keeping the 1979 exorcism record, I'm guessing that she's trying hard to hide the truth because it might be Ji Ah who caused the exorcism to go wrong.  Or even possibly she accidentally killed her mom or something. Her memories are not right on that night. Also, it was the secretary who called the police during the incident as stated by that detective.  She might possibly be a witness thereby knowing half the truth about what happened but not the entirety of it or the cause of it. Another thing regarding the secretary, she might have dealt with the supernatural way way before since I'm guessing there's a backstory to her as well. 

Regarding the uncle, he might or might not be the one to set the fire. If we base on Ji Ah's notes that an egg ghost is created when multiple people die at the same time, then he's really the arsonist and right after that, In Bum was possessed which prompted him to ask help from Ji Ah's mom. 

There are still a lot of questions though and I can't wait for next week's episode.

Why did Ji Ah's mom helped during the exorcism even though she knew the stick won't work with the egg ghost? Is it possible they might be dealing with an older enemy (exorcism is a family business) and Ji Ah's mom recognized it and probably tried something new.

Why did the secretary keep the 1979 records? Does this mean she's been with Daebak Realty before Ji Ah? Could be working with her mom before. Of course the secretary could be a random stranger who asked for help the same night the mom and uncle died and witnessed something etc. 

I'm so excited about how everything will unravel in the end. Who doesn't love a good suspense with a touch of the supernatural? :)

esay29, good points that I didn't consider. Either way I'm enjoying this drama! The supernatural aspect reminds of The Masters Sun which is one of the first kdrama I watched way back then. But I enjoy the modern and gender equal relationships in this drama rather than the candy/cold chaebol of TMS. 

Pinkington:

esay29, good points that I didn't consider. Either way I'm enjoying this drama! The supernatural aspect reminds of The Masters Sun which is one of the first kdrama I watched way back then. But I enjoy the modern and gender equal relationships in this drama rather than the candy/cold chaebol of TMS. 

I love TMS too! OMG! that was not the first one I watched but it was the first drama that prompted me to open an account in soompi as well and watch it while airing. I love everything with supernatural. I am enjoying this one too. Have you watched the latest eps yet @pinkington?