I have a question, and it disturbs me a lot. A country like japan, master of cameras, technology and such technical equipments, why does it always feel that their dramas are old. Old in a sense, that they were shot years ago. 

A drama, released and shot in 2021, gives the feel as if it was shot 10 years ago. It is not the script or feel I am talking about. 

It is actually the camera work, editing, visuals, and screen work, that make a newly made series feels like a decade old. 

I understand who JP industry invest in anime and everyone wan't to go to Studio Gibli and stuff, but I am surprised despite such advance tech, JP television feels like we are watching 80s, 90s drama in 2021.

I compared a series from 2005 and the one shot in 2021, it felt like both series are from past. 

I am not talking about stories are old but the production, and technical part looks like from 80s. 

You can compare, SK dramas that were shot now with the ones decade ago, there is 360 degree difference, in all technical aspects. Colors, visuals, cameras, quality of image and it actually looks like we are watching series or film made recently. But it is not a case with JP.

Does anyone else feels it too? Please help me explain why it is like that.

definitely feel the same. +the episodes are really short and edited weirdly. they have these weird cuts too.  

Nauriya:
I am not talking about stories are old but the production, and technical part looks like from 80s

Sorry for asking, but have you seen any Jdrama from the 80's? LoL

In general, quality depends on what your brain tells you....unless you have seen many, it's a bit unfair to judge the production just from several Japanese dramas in my opinion...

I'm not saying you will find a Jdrama that look exactly like what you defined as "quality" in Kdrama, but Japanese do have their own style....if you watch many I believe you could see it...

The only problem is that, when a person is already get used to certain style of image presentation especially like in Kdramas (and maybe China and Taiwan)...there's a possibility that the brain will unconciously start to think anything that's not similar as inferior....I don't have scientific facts to back my statement though...haha

For technical aspects such as camera work, post production, etc ...I'm not qualified to talk about those...but as far as the final product goes I think Japanese is doing better (if not amazing) as compared to 10 years ago...let alone 40 years...but of course not to be compared to Kdramas because Japanese don't even seem to go into "that kind" of art direction except for some newer actors selection that might be more Korean-conforming-looked...

I get what you mean, I notice J-dramas have a more yellow-ish or faded lighting (kinda similar to watching a 120 ep SBS daily drama where their lighting looks more dull compared to KBS dailies) I mean, just compare the J-drama version of Suits to the Korean one, what a major difference in cinematography and background music.. maybe it's because they don't cater to international audiences/prefer a homey vibe compared to k-dramas

here was a similar question on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/japan/comments/9727n8/why_picture_quality_in_japanese_tv_shows_is_so_bad/ 

You're talking in very board terms. I don't quite know what you mean. Can you be more specific? For example, can you please give an example of recent j-drama you have seen that feels old, and go step by step over technicalities that make it seem old?

(that being said, I don't think 10 years ago is old but nevermind that)

I have seen some valid criticisms and observations aimed at j-dramas. These include overacting and low budget. But I've never particularly seen techniques being criticized.

One thing I wanna point out in relation to above is that japanese cinema is very theater like. The actors, especially older ones, act like in kabuki or noh theater, and the scene is often static. Rrather then camera switching from one face to another, we often have static camera that records a room where various characters standing sideways do things, like in theater scene. This is not the matter of age, but of culture/approach to cinema which is different from american approach.
Korean dramas are very americanized so we have stuff like close shots to the face, shaky camera during fight scenes and filters. 

I totally get what you mean. Compare any of the newer dramas made by TBS (Fermats Cuisine, Trillion Game, Riding a Unicorn, etc) to Ore no Kawaii wa Mousugu Shohikigen!? or Shanai Marriage Honey and the difference is obvious. Those two look like they were filmed with modern cameras but at TBS I swear they are still using the same cameras they used to film Hana Yori Dango from 2005.

I get frustrated with this when watching Jdramas.

Newer Netflix-produced Jdrama doesn't have that lack of dynamic lighting and camera angles that other Jdrama do.

But if you look at the majority of the newly produced Jdrama you can see the picture quality is grainy and you can't even see the actor's faces properly. the lighting is flat and the camera angles are too broad.

Comparing them to recent Kdrama hell even Thai dramas there is a stark difference. even in the acting which may come off as a little too much

Japan has access to some of the best cameras in the market but why not put them to use 

Japan has left itself with only one thing that seems to consistently come up in their dramas and anime (though not so much) which is tradition (also excessive sympathy for criminals and psychopaths)

Don't compare Jdrama with Kdrama. Kdrama and those that follow their direction (Thai, China) are geared towards visual. You will see even with scratches/wound on ML or FL, they will still look pretty, fashionable and flawless. Their focus was more on prettiness. 

I saw the CM for Chief Detective, the protagonist doesn't look like some police who worked in SK during the 50's at all. I don't watch that drama so I might be wrong but the CM/trailer doesn't look convincing and realistic to me. However I'm guessing this is the kind of visual people are expecting this day....which you may not find in Jdrama if that's what you're looking for.

Jdrama may not appear all shinny and flashy like fashion magazine but Good Jdrama contains more essence and more closer to reality in terms of the characterizations. Of course not all Jdramas are good and there are many geared towards visual too especially those youth fluffy dramas or drama with Idols.

Of course it's a bonus if they can have good visual qualities in Jdramas but as a fan I don't bother with that as much cause if I want to see something pretty and fantasy I will go to Kdrama or Cdrama. Imagine Educational Magazine versus Fashion Magazine. Both have purpose for readers.

I prefer the older actresses, there have such charms. 

Young actors and actresses look too much like idols than actors 

ryo-san:

I prefer the older actresses, there have such charms. 

Young actors and actresses look too much like idols than actors 

because most of the time they literally are idols and singers recruited into acting 

kretuzerwilhelmxiii:

because most of the time they literally are idols and singers recruited into acting 

Yes, that seems to be the case.. They can't act properly until they gain enough experience and by that time they are in their mid 30s..