I haven't seen anything else like this and since I'm started to learn Japanese I figured this would be a good thread to start to see what other people started out with. My first Japanese word was Moshi moshi which is used to answer the phone or to get someones attention. My grandma uses it when we talk to her on the phone ^-^ What was your first word? How did you learn it?
Oh, this sounds fun! For me, the first words I usually pick up on are the way they address others: -san, -kun, -chan, etc. Then after that I usually learn their word/words for I like/love you: daisuki, sukidayo, aishiteru. But now that I think about it, I learned from watching anime. I still think I picked up on how they called each other first, but I think chibi may have been one of my first words I learned from watching Fullmetal Alchemist. XD
I think mine was 'ningen' what's human. The second Death Note OP did it for me.
Other than "konnichiwa" etc. mine were "kokoro" and "itsumo" from a song. I wish I could remember which song it was, but it could be almost any love song ever written in Japanese...
~ It was probably 'konnichiwa' 'gomenasai' 'baka' 'kawaii' -
The first Japanese word I learned was konnichiwa, it was way back in 7th grade. (The father of a boy in my class had a Japanese business partner or something visiting, it was a young man who visited the school one day to tell us things about Japan, but I don't remember most of it.) Over the years I picked up other common words such as arigatou, kawaii and hai, I don't remember the context but I guess TV. The first words I learned after I had started thinking "hey, Japanese seems like an interesting language" was sou desu, ha ha. (Because someone I knew liked to use Japanese when they talked, and explained words to me.) The first word I picked up from watching anime was baka.
This one's in Okinawan or Uchinaguchi. It's "Haitai" which means Hello. Okinawan is my native language. :) I'm only guessing that it's my first word. haha. I can't remember (of course)
I think it's Ganbatte (which means lift up your spirit! / fight!) i really love that words so much.. :) it surely does makes ure happier when u say it.. ^^
I don't remember, but one of them was definitely 'Daijoubu'. At first I thought it was 'daijouvu'..:D Another one was 'hana'..
I don't know if you spell it like this so forgive me! The first word I learnt was Itadakimas. I think it means I humbly receive. I see it being said in Japanese dramas and movies before eating.
Considering how much I used to watch I know surprisingly little. First word was probably 'hai' but it could easily have been either 'baka' or 'chibi'. First phase is easier though, being 'mada mada dane'.
It was probably 'hai' or 'baka' or 'kawaii', that I got from watching anime :) Or maybe arigatou or sayonara, knowing these ones is just common place right?
Sayonara is very common, the actual use for it is not. :P