My analysis is from a theatrical (including Opera) and poetic point of view. The director uses theatrical concepts that have a strong emotional and visual impact. The love for theater is a characteristic of Duke Su (WXY) and Governor Tong (Liu Tian Zuo), reinforcing the conception of scenes within theatrical logic. Many scenes are arranged as if it were on the stage of an intimate theater, like Greek theater, and exactly like in Greek theater, where you have the 'persona' who comments on the scene with the spectator, we had the examiner playing this role during XFF's performance. That transfiguration of XFF through musical interpretation is a poetic license, it should be seen as a visual metaphor. How to convey to the viewer the painful drama that takes place in the inner life of XFF? I've watched several films considered masterpieces (Akira Korosawa uses exactly these resources that are nothing more than theatrical concepts, especially Japanese cinema, most of the actors were from kabuki. I had the privilege of watching perfomances in the theater a few times) and the heirence still present in the modern japan works (Akira Kurosawa and Mizoguchi). The effect of this is to take the viewer into the scene, amplifying the emotional strength.

From the point of view of Chinese art and aesthetics (Japan as well), there are scenes in The Double that evoke old scroll painting, presented in a horizontal plane and with lateral camera movement (present in the works of Jia Zhang-ke), these scenes resemble paintings because they are seen from a distant plane (like the traditional Chinese art of representing landscapes that unfolds horizontally as if telling a story). The objects/people in the scene are seen from afar and from a higher plane, exactly as XFF's scene is initially presented. This scene (XFF playing "Pear Blossoms Turn White") made me cry (a lot), as a woman, in a particular way, I could feel her pain, there is no place to laugh at this scene, as I saw in only two comments here (MDL), with a few support of some members. Finally, I love Shakeaspere. I did a research on the songs sung in his tragedies, one of which is sung by Desdemona before Othello kills her. XFF was also killed and at that moment she is playing guqin she is Desdemona... I'm a lyrical singer as well as a pianist and flutist, as a musician I have a special interest in renasciment art (the renascentist art revives all the Greek art concepts, Shakespeare's theater and poetry is not an exception). I recorded a CD of Renascentist and Barroque Music with three songs of Shakespeare. One of those is that one Desdemona sings (act 4, scene 3): The Willow Song. The links below contains, respectively, my CD and informations about the Willow Song.

https://www.discogs.com/pt_BR/release/22131559-Duo-Legatto-Regina-Loureiro-De-S%C3%A1-Armildo-Uzeda-Weepe-You-No-More

https://www.shakespeare.org.uk/explore-shakespeare/blogs/shakespeares-saddest-song/

You probably should write an article on your analysis of the presence of theatrical concepts in The Double.

Thank you for your suggestion! I'll do!!