While watching I can't help but think about how accurate the situations they were put in/how the characters live in North Korean are,  does anybody have some knowledge on this?

NOTHING about Crash Landing On You (bizarrely awful title for this thread), is intended to be taken seriously.  It's a romcom, but there's nothing remotely comedic about North Korea.  One example: The DPRK's estimated GDP works out at little more than $4US a day per person. Probably the only thing about the show that has some element of veracity is the extreme wealth and luxury of the privileged elite, and the way they  obtain that illegally.

Watch it for entertainment, not education.

The North Korea depicted is clearly not the real North Korea. I would even say this drama is purposely making things disclosed exagerated starting from common ideas and critics to underline real situation is North Korea. The Jaguar and Range Rover luxury cars seen both in the city and in a village are here to say that NK smuggles brand new Mercedes in the country for the use of the rich. Plenty of beauty products or brand new rice cooker are her to remind of the black market. NKorean shopping mall look like SKorea's ones with just propaganda message added to target the  method. Discussion on Kdrama reminds the NK forbidding the NKoreans to watch these while SK is smuggling or dropping USBs with Kdramas into NKorea. In the military village and at the train station common people and a rich woman use US dollar bills to pay for food and taxi to remind that in North Korea both rich and poor people love theses US bills. This drama has its own opinion regarding certain situations in North or South Korea and does not fear to say it in a fun and satirical way.   The message is understood or not but it is fine as long as it is entertaining and it does not impair the flow of the story. I like this way of doing but I won't think too much about it. I mostly care about the plot and how the characters are going to evolve.

emily:

While watching I can't help but think about how accurate the situations they were put in/how the characters live in North Korean are,  does anybody have some knowledge on this?

Agree with the comments above. If you interested in real life in North Korea I highly recommend you to watch the documentary Under the Sun (2015). 

I think this drama does show how just like in SK, the gap between the rich and the poor is huge despite NK being “communist” in name. 

Like others said, don't watch it for reality because there is very little of that and mostly it's glossed over. 

My sister went to NK as part of a marathon competition happening there earlier this year and the reality she saw & experienced is waaaay worse & more harsh than how it's portrayed in the drama, at least when it comes to the "common" people, obviously she got nothing to do with the "elite" while there.

Some elements shown in the drama are true, but it's portrayed very lightly and with a sense of humour.

Thanx to my sister, while watching the drama now, I notice the things she talked about that are in the drama as well and how the way it's shown there differs from the reality. But they did include them, so that's part of the real NK.

It in no way lessens the drama to me, I watch it for the entertainment, but just adds a touch of that feeling of how you sort of become happy when you see a place in a movie you've been to yourself. 

Obviously weren't there myself, but did hear first hand experience and saw photos.

I'd say the drama does touch upon the things that truly are in NK, but with humour and lightly.

I don't understand most of the replies to this thread. Of course it shouldn't be taken as reality. I just clicked on this thread because I wanted to know what was inaccurate and I don't feel like watching a documentary. 

Herman:

I don't understand most of the replies to this thread. Of course it shouldn't be taken as reality. I just clicked on this thread because I wanted to know what was inaccurate and I don't feel like watching a documentary. 

You don't understand the replies to this thread? What's so hard to understand? 

The original poster, who was not you, specifically asked for details regarding the level of accuracy and received many clear, helpful replies. They were intended for her, not for you.

burhaaadmi:

You don't understand the replies to this thread? What's so hard to understand? 

The original poster, who was not you, specifically asked for details regarding the level of accuracy and received many clear, helpful replies. They were intended for her, not for you.

Mmm okay, my bad for expecting an itemized essay with references.

I watched a couple videos on YouTube where North Korean defectors say they got a lot right, although obviously it's not going to be everything. Apparently the actress who plays Dan does a really bad NK accent, but HyunBin's is really good.

Joanna M:

I watched a couple videos on YouTube where North Korean defectors say they got a lot right, although obviously it's not going to be everything. Apparently the actress who plays Dan does a really bad NK accent, but HyunBin's is really good.

Could you link these videos you watched, please? :) I would like to know  more about North Koreans impressions about how this drama is portraying NK life.

Dramaknits:

Could you link these videos you watched, please? :) I would like to know  more about North Koreans impressions about how this drama is portraying NK life.

Here's the best one! https://youtu.be/R8vuc9ed4rA 

Here's another one! https://youtu.be/th4DP7GZwuc

I'm also really curious how North Koreans will perceive this drama, I've been checking every day for new interviews. I'll let you know if any more come up!

kang nara escaped north korea in 2015 and speaks about the portrayal in the series. https://www.koreaboo.com/stories/north-korean-youtuber-shares-whats-real-in-crash-landing-k-drama/