Okay so I just started this and I'm on episode 3 now. However, I just can't stop thinking about how the male lead calls her shorty.

I looked up her height and according to google Cheng Xiao is 5'6 and Xu Kai is 6'1. Cheng Xiao is taller than me- How is she shorty when she's just average and even so slightly above average...? Like the average height in china is around 5'3...

Anyways so I'm just out here theorizing... did they put insoles in his shoes so the height difference looks more extreme? Or maybe did some camera work to make it look more extreme? 

Okay that's all LOL

Cooldaysinthesun:

Okay so I just started this and I'm on episode 3 now. However, I just can't stop thinking about how the male lead calls her shorty.

I looked up her height and according to google Cheng Xiao is 5'6 and Xu Kai is 6'1. Cheng Xiao is taller than me- How is she shorty when she's just average and even so slightly above average...? Like the average height in china is around 5'3...

Anyways so I'm just out here theorizing... did they put insoles in his shoes so the height difference looks more extreme? Or maybe did some camera work to make it look more extreme? 

Okay that's all LOL

Xu Kai is actually 188cm, if you see 185cm when you google its because actor in China don't usually put more than 185cm on official biography (unless you are really really obviously 190cm+ then they will put 188cm-189cm) to avoid being passed over by casting director for being too tall.

it is from the novel, on the novel tong yao was also called shorty

Teudoongie:

no coz she's literally 20 cms taller than me-

she's only taller than me by 5 cm but I am taller than most of the people at my school or just as tall as some people. So I find it so funny when I looked up her height and was shocked she was depicted as being super short..... I literally thought she was going to be Shen Yue's height or something from that elevator scene

I think it has to do with her reaction to being call shorty. In their meeting in the elevator, she couldn't press the number to her elevator number, and then she tried to explain herself so he kind of figure she doesn't like to be called shorty. If she hasn't react so strongly I don't think he would have used that term to make fun of her.

I think he calls her that because she could press the button in the elevator and maybe she is short compared to him.

So what the person above said

There probably is some camera work and editing being done to play up the height difference because it plays into their character interactions. It’s common in drama for there to be some production magic to be done to emphasize height differences. It’s cute seeing how she reacts to be teased and called short because it adds to the plot and their relationship.

CX is quite tall and even some of the guys were barely taller than her like Gao Han (Lao K) isn’t that much taller. 

It's in the novel so of course the director has to put it in the drama too and for the height there can be some adjustments done to the height of xu kai to perfectly match them (ML&FL)  to their characters.

Technically, Cheng Xiao was miscasted in this sense because Tong Yao in the novel is supposed to be short with a baby face, making it seem like Si Cheng was dating a minor. Hence, the constant jokes about it. It doesn't ring with the drama that well despite them keeping it in because Cheng Xiao doesn't straight out fit the description.