Here you will find all you need to know, things you didn’t know you wanted to know, and things that just might satisfy your curiosity about 2024's watch challenge.

If you do not find the answers to your questions or just want to discuss the challenge, this is where you do it!

Click on the picture below to get to the right section.

Block – a numbered group of 5 prompts. 

Season- a group of 5 blocks 

Prompt – your mission. A condition that a watched title must fulfill. 

Title – Anything listed on MDL (dramas, movies, short films, specials, tv shows). 

Tagged – Searchable tag on MDL; when asked for a title tagged ____, the tag must be among the tags for the title (see tutorial finding tags).

Genre – Searchable genre on MDL; when asked for a title whose genre is _____, the genre must be among the genres listed for the title (see tutorial finding genres).

Note: Since MDL is a user-created database, if you see a relevant tag or genre missing from a title, help make the site better by adding tags and genres (click on "Edit this page" in the upper right corner on the title's main page and click "Genres" from there to add tags and genres. These guidelines will help you get started).

Lead –  A person listed as a main actor in the cast and credits list. see tutorial 

Spot a… – Must be mentioned and/or seen in at least one of the scenes in the title. Something you could have taken a screenshot of (Note: You do NOT have to take a screenshot for it to be valid. See our voting lists for tips (and help contribute to them if you know titles that fit the prompt)!

Advancing in levels, adding extra rounds and using bonus features 

…Genres:  We have made this tutorial but also included a link to the requested genre in the route. 

…Tags:  We have made this tutorial but also included a link to the requested tag in the prompt.

…Titles where you spot… can be a little bit tricky. While they might be tagged or mentioned in the synopsis, it’s not a requirement for these prompts. The idea is to try to spot what we are asking for while you are watching a title. To help you out we made these voting lists where people can add recommendations for the prompts that include the word “Spot a…”  in them.

…Awards: We have a list with well-known awards here; however, you are free to use any award (yes, including a spelling award won in 1st grade) as long as you add a link to where you found the information.

…Old movies with English subtitles? You can use THIS or the lists our amazing challengers helped create in the discussion thread.

Someone willing to be my Black Rose 

We made this post on feeds for you to ask for a black rose and or apply to be one https://mydramalist.com/profile/WatchChallenge/feeds/wyD14uE but you can always ask a friend, post on feeds ortry to reach out to someone doing the challenge by DM... 

Other FaQs

By the Block! 

Question

Block 8.5 - A remake/adaptation that has been remade/adapted again by the original country. Do I have to watch the adaptation? Can't I watch the original?

Answer: You may watch the original 

Question: 

Block 17.4 - Discrimination. May I use "Gender discrimination" tag or other discrimination tags instead? 

Answer: 

As long as it includes some type of Discrimination you may use it. Gender discrimination is a type  of discrimination so go for it. 

Question: 

Block 18.3 - Arranged Relationship. May I use "Arranged Marriage " tag instead?

Answer: 

As long as in includes some type of arranged relationship you may use it. Arranged Marriage is a type or arranged relationship so go for it.

Question

The prompt "Flower in hair" does a floral wreath on the head or a fake flower (made of metal or fabric) count? Something like in the pictures? Or does it have to be a real flower? 

Answer:

Yes any flower in hair counts 

Question

Starting with the same letter as your username" only username or also display name and can "A" or "The" at the beginning of a title be ignored? 

Answer

Display name at the time you are watching (if you change it mention it as a comment) , the or a before may be ignored 

Question:  

"Flower in nature" would it count if flowers are growing naturally somewhere even if its in the city (for example the slope next to a river or a park in the city)or does it need to be in some sort of rural setting? 

Answer:  

Flower in nature -  "Nature"  =  not created by humans. Can be growing naturally in a slope , can be growing in a lake, but can also be a man made metal flower dropped in nature such as woods. Just avoid  landscaped flowers, agriculture, floweshops... 

Question

Does Kissing while drunk and then forgetting and being emberresed count as an accidental kiss  

Answer :

Kissing while drunk can count as an accidental kiss if the person mentions it as an accident, i kissing the wrong person etc.  Embarrassment or loss of memory has nothing to do with it. 

Leap flowers:

Question

Bouquet - Does this leap flower mean I do my regular challenge, and then I'll have to watch 26 additional titles? Or do I get the bouquet by completing 1 round of the challenge at level 9? (Actually I am planning to do level 8 (22 blocks) and then watch 4 titles, one from each block I did not fill, to get the bouquet badge. But I'm not sure that works).

You don’t have to watch 26 additional titles, just at least one from each block. You do not have to complete a single block to get it but watch at least one from all 26. 

Question

Leap Year - Could I do 2 leap years? so 2 blocks where I do 5 prompts +1 additional prompt  made up by me? I don't mind if it only counts for 1 badge.

Go for it, only one badge but you may do this as often as you want... you never know you may need it for round 5 ;)

Question

Evergreen - Does this leap flower get completed with the titles we watch in our round 1? Or do we need to watch 40 additional titles after finishing the challenge round?

Answer: 

It gets completed in round 1

Question

Seasons and Monsoon - Do these leap flowers get completed with the titles we watch in our round 1? Or do we need to watch 4 additional titles for Seasons, and 1 for Monsoon?

Answer: 

Both can be completed within round 1

Question

How many titles do I have to watch in Round 2, is it enough to watch one additional titles or do I have to watch 4 additional titles per block. 

Answer: 

You have to watch 4 additional titles per block. 

Question

Can a black rose be used as a Lawnmower 

Answer

No. 

Note: Since MDL is a user-created database, if you see a relevant tag or genre missing from a title, help make the site better by adding tags and genres (click on "Edit this page" in the upper right corner on the title's main page and click "Genres" from there to add tags and genres. These guidelines will help you get started).

Disclaimer: MDL is an ever-changing platform, so some of the links, tags and genres that are used for this challenge may have changed during the duration of the challenge. If that happens go HERE. We will not, however, change the application form once it has been published...

Jan 5th 

The list linked as  New was a list for titles and not actors/actresses so the old list has been deleted and a new one has been made. 

New - First leading role 2024 

Jan 4th 

Thanks to  solana

We now have this spreadsheet with the challenge :  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jCmJl4r1z2rOKJYvYdaD0KK8Ihr-U9M-TSs0X9UjTpE/edit?usp=sharing

And this doc: 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xx9b5FXgMnz9Vihf8S4SsOsj5MOUEph5aNvHU4gnuqA/edit?usp=sharing

That you may copy and use as well just make sure to copy it back to a forum post before you turn in your application. 

Jan 1st 

There was a tiny little typo in the last Leap Flower in the Sign Up Sheet: Was: Out of Season, 3/5  prompts completed in all 5 blocks of the For all Season  section of the challenge. 

Out of Season, our fifth season that is there because we have this thing for five of everything...  Before we settled for Out of season, we toyed with For all Seasons and Leap Season... it being a leap year and all.  In the end Out of Season won the majority vote in the team. 

1. copy the code pasted on to this document linked below: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i2XN-F87gaAEJZcRFpdGhMiAQH7L3uNB7bjX6FbU4Bs/edit?usp=sharing

2. Go to your own  Settings 

3. Switch to code mode (right corner of tool bar looks like this 

4. Paste the code you just copied at the top 

5. Switch back to viewing mode (same icon) 

6. Look it should have appeared like magic ... 

7. Mark the application make sure you have some type of letters in the beginning and end of the section you have marked. 

8. Go to your application post 

9. Paste

10. Did the format follow? 

11.Save 

Done 

The Flowers of MDL's Countries

Japan

Chrysanthemum and Cherry Blossom

Japan is the only country on our list to claim two national flowers. Cherry blossoms bloom for just a short time and signify the fragile beauty of life. While the cherry blossom is the national flower of Japan, the chrysanthemum has been a symbol of the Japanese royal family for centuries and is celebrated each year during the “Festival of Happiness.”

Hong Kong

Orchid

Orchids (Bauhinia blakeana) are extremely popular and widely cultivated. There are more than 25,000 different species of the flower, with more being discovered each day. Orchids have bilateral symmetry, like the human face, which may explain their popularity. These exquisitely unique flowers are prized in decorations and bouquets and are featured in a traditional beverage called “Sahlep” in Turkey. During the 16th century, the beverage made its way to London, England where it was sold in street-side stalls before the introduction of coffee.

South Korea

Rose of Sharon

South Korea’s territorial flower is called the Rose of Sharon. Its scientific name is Hibiscus syriacus, identifying it as a member of the hibiscus family of flowers. There are many varieties of this flower, all of which come in very flashy and vibrant colors. Some of the most recognizable ones are the Blue Satin, a bluish flower with a red center, and the Minifren, a white flower with a purple center.

Mainland China

Peony

China’s latest poll to name a national flower was in 2019, with the brightly colored Peony being a clear winner with almost 80% of the votes nationwide. The affectionately called “king of flowers” had been assumed to be the national flower for a few years now, despite no official distinction as such. The reason for this delay is believed to be because there are so many flowers with historical and present cultural significance to the country. The peony meets all the requirements put forth by the government and is associated with wealth and good fortune. However, it is also highly associated with Imperial China—with it being the national flower of the Tang Dynasty.

Thailand

Ratchaphruek Orchid
(Dok Koon)

The Ratchaphruek Orchid, also known as Dok Koon, grows on what is known in English as the Golden Shower Tree. It is easily recognized by its vibrant yellow color and tumbling flower clusters. The yellow color, associated with Buddhism, is why it was chosen as the country’s official flower in 2001. These flowers stand out during the hot season (Feb-May) when they bloom because the tree drops all of its leaves. Thailand is also the world’s largest exporter of orchids, with over 1,500 species found wild all over the kingdom.

Taiwan

Plum Blossom

The Plum Blossom is the national flower of Taiwan. In addition to being resilient during harsh winters, it is also symbolically considered to represent the 3 Principles of the People (via 3 groups of stamens) and the 5 branches of government (via the 5 petals). It is recognized by shades of white and pink flowers and its delicate scent.

The Philippines

Sampaguita

The Sampaguita, also known as the Asian Jasmine, is the national flower of The Philippines. Although it has been grown and cultivated for thousands of years, it is not native to the country—but rather believed to have come from India via travelers. The flower was chosen during the American colonization of The Philippines due to their prevalence in Filipino legends, presence in religious ceremonies, and symbolic meaning of purity, simplicity, humility, and strength. The small white blooms are short-lived, but their sweet and honey-like scent is strong and carried by the wind through gardens and parks. The flowers are also night-bloomers, preferring the pollination of moths during the evening hours.

Here you can find  links to feeds where we ask questions for you and us to discuss... 

Discussion about the Lawnmower 

Other discussions Start Below.... 

RESERVED FOR CHALLENGE USE

There was a tiny little typo in the last Leap Flower in the Sign Up Sheet: Was: Out of Season, 3/5  prompts completed in all 5 blocks of the For all Season  section of the challenge. 

Out of Season, our fifth season that is there because we have this thing for five of everything...  Before we settled for Out of season, we toyed with For all Seasons and Leap Season... it being a leap year and all.  In the end Out of Season won the majority vote in the team.

If you find more inconsistencies, feel free to tell us! 

Maybe it's because I'm sleepy so that may be why it's not as obvious to me but for the bouquet badge, we have to complete watching 1 title from every block. But can we submit a form with just 1 title from every block or there has to be a minimum of 2 blocks with 3 titles each as well in order for it to be counted?

Also, each round just needs 3 titles completed and can include replacements, yes?

ColourMePurple:

Maybe it's because I'm sleepy so that may be why it's not as obvious to me but for the bouquet badge, we have to complete watching 1 title from every block. But can we submit a form with just 1 title from every block or there has to be a minimum of 2 blocks with 3 titles each as well in order for it to be counted?

Also, each round just needs 3 titles completed and can include replacements, yes?

Hi! Bonuses/leap flowers give you badges but do not count in the Hall of Fame, so no need to submit the turn-in  but  I hope those  who get a bouquet without finishing a level have fun playing. There is a spot for them in the turn in form for your own sake, and so that those who check out your submissions can see your badges. We may also suddenly become ambitious and add those to the HoF, depending on popular demand (if a lot of people only go for the bouquet) .  But it is not part of our plan at the moment, as it would be to much work  you may notice that the hof and turn in only is mentioned in the level part of the challenge and not in the leap  flower part. 

However Butterflies are part of the hall of fame.  

As for the amount of titles you need to complete:  Round 1  3/5, Round 2  4/5, Round 3  5/5 having a choice in the early levels is to make it more inclusive and easier to complete for those who need to avoid certain prompts. 

Black roses can be used as replacements and have no limit, but it means someone else doing this challenge can not use those titles. So replacements require interactions between users. 

I hope this clears things up, enjoy! 

Hi. I have a question or two.

About Leap Flowers that add extra challenges. By completing them and getting the badges (e.g. Bracken), do they serve any special purpose? Do they act similar to treats in 2023 ? That's how I understood it, and I just want to make sure. 

And for butterfly levels, when you say complete 4/5 prompts, does this mean additional 4 prompts for the block, or do the 3 from before count and you only need to finish 1 more? I know it's early to ask, but I want to set a goal for myself before starting. 

Thank you!

RoseQ:

Hi. I have a question or two.

About Leap Flowers that add extra challenges. By completing them and getting the badges (e.g. Bracken), do they serve any special purpose? Do they act similar to treats in 2023 ? That's how I understood it, and I just want to make sure. 

And for butterfly levels, when you say complete 4/5 prompts, does this mean additional 4 prompts for the block, or do the 3 from before count and you only need to finish 1 more? I know it's early to ask, but I want to set a goal for myself before starting. 

Thank you!

It´s not to early to ask, the Leap Flowers do not serve as treats they are a bunch of bonus features to make it more interesting. You can however use the black rose to avoid a prompt instead of making up your own you will need to ask a person doing the challenge if they can finish a title for you. For example if you really hate watching Historical dramas you may ask a person who watches a lot of Hostorical dramas if they are willing to be your black rose, they get a badge, you get a title that they can not use. 

Making up prompts of your own can be done to get the Leap Year Badge. 

Butterflies: 3/5 round 1 + 4/5 Round 2 so 4 more. 

Shiro:
Black roses can be used as replacements and have no limit, but it means someone else doing this challenge can not use those titles. So replacements require interactions between users. 

What about making your own prompts? Those are not used as replacements this year like treats? Reason I ask is because some categories might have limited amount of shows and most people only discover towards the end of the year if they have extra shows that there is no place to put them in. So black roses are cool but it might be difficult to find others willing to watch titles for you especially if they need them too.

Sorry for asking questions that the original post already may have answered. My brain is still tired.

ColourMePurple:

What about making your own prompts? Those are not used as replacements this year like treats? Reason I ask is because some categories might have limited amount of shows and most people only discover towards the end of the year if they have extra shows that there is no place to put them in. So black roses are cool but it might be difficult to find others willing to watch titles for you especially if they need them too.

Sorry for asking questions that the original post already may have answered. My brain is still tired.

You could fit those for the leap year badge: 

Leap Year

Complete all 5 prompts in a block and then make up a 6th prompt and fulfil it.'  "

Sine you have the option of choosing 3/5 in all the blocks for round one,  we figured the need for a Black Rose should be limited. But also the Black Rose badge is really pretty so we think some people wold love to get it... and you have those 3 last days to figure this out... But there are several ways to go about this, you could plan ahead with a user that has different viewing patterns than you, or look around.... So there are plenty of options here. 

The basics are there so that pretty much anyone should be able to join in and complete  but we also wanted to make the challenge challenging so some of the badges and adding butterflies will be more challenging and hopefully last all year. 

Does this answer your question? 

Hi! I am not sure if I completely understood so I want to make sure. So for the first round, we do 3 prompts for each block and when we finish, we have the choice to go back and do one more prompt for each block. Is that how the challenge works?