MDL's 2021 Watch Challenge Discussion Thread

This discussion has been closed.

This is thread where you post all your questions concerning the 2021 Watch Challenge.  PLEASE make sure to read the F.A.Q. before asking a question. 

Here is an F.A.Q Video too (if the video fails to load Here is a link)

BEFORE ASKING YOUR QUESTION PLEASE READ/WATCH THE FAQ

The Lines Divide the  Topics, the A, B, C etc Divide the Topics into Blocks.  The lines are hard to see in dark mode, we tried to as much as possible make MOST blocks 5 items

Fantasy/alternate Past Japanese Titles

First of all, thank you all for organising this challenge.  The video is also very cool. I noticed that the FAQ mentions challenges that seem to be from the previous year (dropped, less than 1000 users). Maybe you want to remove those from the FAQ to avoid confusion :) 

Miaya:

First of all, thank you all for organising this challenge.  The video is also very cool. I noticed that the FAQ mentions challenges that seem to be from the previous year (dropped, less than 1000 users). Maybe you want to remove those from the FAQ to avoid confusion :) 

we are removing it from the FAQ but we are not redoing the video

Of course, let's have fun with the challenge. 

I have read the faqs and video. 

So from what I understand, there are 40 main blocks amd bonus has 8 items. 

To finish the highest level: 40 blocks + 2 bonus, mean you can substitute one item in the main block. So 6 items bonus can be used to substitute one item in 6 blocks. 

Can 1 main blocks be substitute 3 items with 3 bonus? Or as long as you use the bonus item only once? 

Oh there is one bonus that can be used  3 times, so 8 subtitutions are maximum for the highest level.

JJChastity:

Of course, let's have fun with the challenge. 

I have read the faqs and video. 

So from what I understand, there are 40 main blocks amd bonus has 8 items. 

To finish the highest level: 40 blocks + 2 bonus, mean you can substitute one item in the main block. So 6 items bonus can be used to substitute one item in 6 blocks. 

1 main blocks can not be substitute 3 items with 3 bonus? Or it can as long as you use the bonus item only once? 

Oh there is one bonus that can be used  times, so 8 subtitutions are maximum for the highest level.

So the bonus was mainly meant for when you cannot find that one thing for your country of choice, but you really like the rest of the block.  so the option is that if you want to complete the entire challenge you do 40 blocks and do it all PLUS 2 bonus.

the 3 item one not specified is meant for you to think up 3 criteria on your own and use that to substitute (or not) and if we like them we may use them in the 2022 challenge

If someone does it all and does no substitutions I may think of another rank for that

Did that answer your question?

I'm still confused what exactly is the block...I understand the levels and drama/movies count ...but what exactly is block...like those A and B ...we need to complete every thing in it and those will be counted as block and the contents in it will be counted in total movies/drama

Edit: Actually I got it... thanks for your work....will enjoy this challenge

Old_Anime_Lady:
If someone does it all and does no substitutions I may think of another rank for that

I think the rank would be Insomniac <3

(Indramniac or Indoramniac has the right sound but it might confuse people who don't sound out what they read like my brain still does, and we're a global community, so I don't expect everyone to know what on earth the wordplay would even mean.)

(Annnnnd here's the tiny disclaimer that of course the real thing-just like addiction/insanity-is nothing to aspire to, but in our drama-film loving world, we sure do practice it a lot *cough*SweetHomeMarathon*cough*!)

My OST of the moment: 
Happy happy joy joy, Happy happy joy joy, 
Happy happy joy joy, Happy happy joy joy, 
Happy happy joy joy, Happy happy joy joy, 
Happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Happy happy joy joy JOY!

Hi!  I have a question. If you have to watch something that was, for example, mentioned in an article. Do you have link the article? 

ElBee:
(Annnnnd here's the tiny disclaimer that of course the real thing-just like addiction/insanity-is nothing to aspire to, but in our drama-film loving world, we sure do practice it a lot *cough*SweetHomeMarathon*cough*!)

that's great i'll add that thank you ^^

ListofRosa:

Hi!  I have a question. If you have to watch something that was, for example, mentioned in an article. Do you have link the article? 

you don't have to add the article link but we'd love it if you did maybe other challenger's will check it out too :) 

I'm still confused. There are 40 blocks total, and supposed I have 8 blocks, each with minus one category before it's considered complete. Can I use 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 from bonus to substitute that categories in 8 blocks. Or you can use 3 categories from bonus in one block 1, 2 categories in block 6, 3 categories in 3 blocks each with 1 substitution. While there are 10 in bonus but the other 2 bonus is required in intervention level. 

So the bonus was mainly meant for when you cannot find that one thing for your country of choice, but you really like the rest of the block.  so the option is that if you want to complete the entire challenge you do 40 blocks and do it all PLUS 2 bonus.

the 3 item one not specified is meant for you to think up 3 criteria on your own and use that to substitute (or not) and if we like them we may use them in the 2022 challenge

Did that answer your question?

JJChastity:
I'm still confused. There are 40 blocks total, and I have 8 blocks, each with minus one category before it's considered complete. Can I use 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 from bonus to substitute that categories in 8 blocks. While the other 2 bonus is required in intervention level

i am not sure if this answers your question but 

as far as i got it you are doing 8 blocks! right??
if you are doing 8 blocks then you can substitute categories from these 8 blocks with ones from bonus

but you can only use each category in bonus and substitute it once. only no. 8 can be used 3 times. 

does that answer your question?

ListofRosa:

While no one is holding a gun to anyone's head, when putting people in the hall of fame, you're saving the mods a lot of effort... AND you're helping others with both the challenge AND with checking out the articles to see what people were writing about the drama they heard about but never quite hit the play button for. Should there be people who don't know how it works and mess up on their entry, it's best to have more, not less, (I mean, you HAVE the article-you can either put it on your form, even have a few options on that listing to choose from with the articles linked [you can edit it to just say "this article here"], do like me and put things in a custom list for the challenge, or even put it in the notes ON the drama/film-the notes in the box where you rate and click what you like/insert start/stop dates, etc. in case you don't know what you'll use it for [though lists have better visibility/you can just see a lot of info quickly so for me they're priceless when I get interrupted often here in lockdown]). Do those options make sense for navigating it?

As for the "why we like links" (and dates etc)=This challenge has a couple of goals beyond simply watching a ton of dramas. One goal=navigating the site to enrich your experience here, hence the article mention, stats, etc... Another goal=we're social critters and curious, so for these 2, as an example (the year the user above/below joined is more simple), people will look at your profile:

• ( ) Watch a highly rated and completed drama/movie from another challenger who posted on the same page you signed up on. (rated 10, 9 or 8 by the user, not overall) 
  • ( ) Watch a poorly rated and completed drama/movie from another challenger who posted on the same page you signed up on. (Rated 5.0 at most)

Specific to the article question, if you personally were struggling to find something that fits a category, OTHER USERS' entries with links to the articles THEY found would be how you can easily find it-same w/awards etc... and it's just kind and community-building to have that bit of info there so someone who, pardon the pun, facing a mental or road BLOCK for a category... you might help them, and I think all of us appreciate even tiny bits of "here, friend!" help wherever and however it appears. It'll be even more true come November/December when people have to scramble if they "oops!" forgot they were doing this. :) 

Hope that helps. Sorry it's so wordy. My brain is either totally raw or a bit too fried from a long week, not sure which-whichever makes my novel-length ramblings encyclopedic! :D

Tell me if I have this right based on JJChastity's q:
To keep it simple, I'm just having all the blocks be 5 categories.
I think the question is whether the block "table" below would be okay, ie multiple substitutions in one block even though the goal was originally just for that one stinky category you cannot find a fit for in the block full of categories you otherwise love.

GOAL: 8 BLOCKS (40+)
SUBSTITUTIONS: 8 MAX: 3 PERSONAL, LAKORN, SEOGUK, TAIGA, SOLDIERS, ROYALTY

BLOCK1
BLOCK2
BLOCK3
BLOCK4
BLOCK5
BLOCK6
BLOCK7
BLOCK8
DONE
DONE
DONE
DONE
TAIGA
DONE
DONE
DONE
DONE
DONE
SEOGUK
DONE
DONE
DONE
DONE
JJCAT#2
LAKORN
DONE
DONE
DONE
DONE
DONE
DONE
JJCAT#3
DONE
DONE
DONE
DONE
DONE
SOLDIERS
DONE
DONE
JJCAT#1
DONE
DONE
ROYALTY
DONE
DONE
DONE
DONE

I have a few  movies and dramas in currently watching that I have not watched yet (I didn't want them to get lost in my PTW list). Can I use them for this challenge or will they not be counted as they have been added to the currently watching list before 2021?