MDL's 2021 Watch Challenge Discussion Thread

This discussion has been closed.

Estelll:
Also, that narrows it down a lot, so I hope it won't be so hard to find as I thought it would be!

It wasn't. I found a couple of dramas where the Verified/Stars Rating and Completed Rating  matched. I would say go with older dramas, like 6 months or older. 

Estelll:
And now I wish I was one of them! In fact, can I be, maybe for next year? I believe my ridiculous nitpickery would probably be useful in the role of an Editor/proofreader/tester, if there's a place for one more in your team for next year!!

I will hold you to it, we start in june/july

Okay, I have a question about this one:

( ) Watch a game/variety/non drama/reality type (listed as a TV SHOW) show (10 Episodes do not need to be in consecutive order. Please list dates OR episode numbers  

I assume this means we have two options, either 1) watch an entire season of a show or 2) watch any 10 episodes, consecutive or not, of a longer running show.  Am I interpreting this correctly?

And then, if 1) is also a correct interpretation, what of shows that have fewer than 10 episodes total?  There are a couple on my list that have 6 or 7 but are complete seasons (like these two).  Would those count, or do we need to find a show with at least 10 total episodes?

I apologize if this has been asked already and I missed it.  Thanks!

Old_Anime_Lady:

I will hold you to it, we start in june/july

Wow thanks!! ^.^ I hope you'll not regret it! :D

26. Remakes –same story different note (0/4)  

• ( ) 197. Watch a story that has been remade by at least 1 other countries beside the origin story 
  • ( ) 198. Watch a story that has been remade by 2 other countries 
  • ( ) 199. Watch a drama that is a next season or a movie that is a sequel to a remade story (example :Hana Nochi Hara is a sequel to Hana Yori Dango) 
  • ( ) 200. Watch a remake from the same country

I want to ask question on remakes. So based on the list above that I give numbers, for 197 & 198, we watch the original story that people based on their remakes, right? 

for 199, we watch the sequel of a remake. 

while on 200, we watch the remake not the original, is it true? 

about the type, can it be a remake of original story which is different type, i.e. a movie remake from a drama or vice versa?

JJChastity:

26. Remakes –same story different note (0/4)  

• ( ) 197. Watch a story that has been remade by at least 1 other countries beside the origin story 
  • ( ) 198. Watch a story that has been remade by 2 other countries 
  • ( ) 199. Watch a drama that is a next season or a movie that is a sequel to a remade story (example :Hana Nochi Hara is a sequel to Hana Yori Dango) 
  • ( ) 200. Watch a remake from the same country

I want to ask question on remakes. So based on the list above that I give numbers, for 197 & 198, we watch the original story that people based on their remakes, right? 

for 199, we watch the sequel of a remake. 

while on 200, we watch the remake not the original, is it true? 

about the type, can it be a remake of original story which is different type, i.e. a movie remake from a drama or vice versa?

so with this i was thinking things like Hana Yori Dango, Kimiwa petto, liar game, Itazura na kiss, My little lover etc.  
So for example
197 could be Maou (based on lucifer, made in SK)
198 would be f4 thailand (hana yori doango 8th reincarnation)
199 Hanayori dango Final (the movie)
200 would be Kimi wa petto 2019 (i think that was the year the latest Japanese movie came out)

zeamays:

Okay, I have a question about this one:

( ) Watch a game/variety/non drama/reality type (listed as a TV SHOW) show (10 Episodes do not need to be in consecutive order. Please list dates OR episode numbers  

I assume this means we have two options, either 1) watch an entire season of a show or 2) watch any 10 episodes, consecutive or not, of a longer running show.  Am I interpreting this correctly?

And then, if 1) is also a correct interpretation, what of shows that have fewer than 10 episodes total?  There are a couple on my list that have 6 or 7 but are complete seasons (like these two).  Would those count, or do we need to find a show with at least 10 total episodes?

I apologize if this has been asked already and I missed it.  Thanks!

yes, essentially it is hard for some countries to find 10 consequetive shows subbed and most do not have seasons, so our solution was the one presented above,  just 10 episodes of ANY variety tv show and it does NOT have to be the same one.

Old_Anime_Lady:

yes, essentially it is hard for some countries to find 10 consequetive shows subbed and most do not have seasons, so our solution was the one presented above,  just 10 episodes of ANY variety tv show and it does NOT have to be the same one.

Ah, okay.  I didn't get that it could even be episodes of different shows counting towards the same item, haha.  Thanks for the clarification!

Here's some Custom & Voting Lists in some topics, that some people may find useful/source of inspiration on what to watch next (they aren't comprehensive by any means, and most are catered to my personal tastes, but they may help): 

• ( ) Watch a drama/movie about Historical (must be from your parents era or before) 

Political historical dramas (Voting List)
The Age of Change (1860-1945 CE) (Custom List)
Best Very Long (60+) Historical Dramas (Voting List)
Greatest Wuxia Movies (Voting List)
Best traditional Action Wuxia dramas (Voting List)

• ( ) Watch a drama/movie about Food (cooking, baking, restaurants, cafes, etc.)

Food! (Custom List)

• ( ) Watch a drama/movie which has Politics (this can include office/business politics/palace/government official ANY kind of politics)

Political historical dramas (Voting List)

• ( ) Watch a drama/movie which depicts Occupation of one country by another (usually under the Historical or Military genre)

The Age of Change (1860-1945 CE) (Custom List)

• ( ) Watch a drama/movie whose genre Wuxia or Xanxia or Xuanhuan

Greatest Wuxia Movies (Voting List)
Best traditional Action Wuxia dramas (Voting List)
Best Wuxia or Xianxia drama (Voting List)
Tiān (Custom List)

• ( ) Watch a drama/movie with a Smart/Genius Lead 

The Quintessential Intelligent Female Heroine (Voting List)

• ( ) Watch a drama/movie Time Travel 

Time Travel - Into the Past (Custom List)

• ( ) Watch a drama/movie that was added to a Custom List (yours or other MDL’ers lists) 

All of the above can qualify of course :D

• Remakes –same story different note (0/4)

Not a list, but for anyone interested in Chinese/Hongkongese/Taiwanese dramas/movies (or wants to try something different), fyi JIN YONG's novels are some of the most adapted & remade works in the history of Asian Cinema & TV!

CSA2305-K:
  • Watch a drama/movie adapted from a Manhua –Taiwan 

i cand find manhu from taiwan. HELP! HELP!

Yeah, there are only 4 tagged in the database for Taiwan, 5 for Hong Kong, and 65 for China.

• ( ) Watch a drama/movie adapted from a Komik- Philippines  
  • ( ) Watch a drama/movie adapted from a Thai Comics 

《Watch a drama with 20-30 minutes episodes

Does drama include web dramas ?

《Watch a drama/movie from an award-winning actor》

Does it have to be the same drama for which he won the award ? / Are only the d/m in which he acted after he won the award are considered ? 

CSA2305-K:
  • ( ) Watch a drama/movie adapted from a Komik- Philippines  
  • ( ) Watch a drama/movie adapted from a Thai Comics 

you may have to search the internet or ask around this is a new concept we are testing since we usually only feature the big three for comic adaptions, if you find one and it is NOT in the DB let me know in a DM and i will add it to the DB when I have time

Another Stranger :

《Watch a drama with 20-30 minutes episodes

Does drama include web dramas ?

《Watch a drama/movie from an award-winning actor》

Does it have to be the same drama for which he won the award ? / Are only the d/m in which he acted after he won the award are considered ? 

If it is in the MDL Database as a drama it count and the second question is in the video
BUT the answer is no.  Any award counts from best actor in Cannes to best jeanist..any award ever..if you can dig up the actors kudos certificate for the 4th grade spelling bee I'll take it.

so with this i was thinking things like Hana Yori Dango, Kimiwa petto, liar game, Itazura na kiss, My little lover etc.  
So for example
197 could be Maou (based on lucifer, made in SK)
198 would be f4 thailand (hana yori doango 8th reincarnation)
199 Hanayori dango Final (the movie)
200 would be Kimi wa petto 2019 (i think that was the year the latest Japanese movie came out)

Thank for giving example, so my assumption about this is correct. And your anwer also mean, it doesn't matter which type drama or movie as long as it is a remake. 

Thanks, OAL! 

Another question about comic from other country. Korean has manhwa and webtoon but I don't see item about Webtoon, there is manhwa. So does it means webtoon is also fine but put it under manhwa, or it has to be manhwa, no webtoon?