From their website:

Welcome back to JAPANESE FILM FESTIVAL ONLINE! The Japan Foundation holds its third edition, the largest one ever for a month. A variety of 23 films will be delivered during the first two weeks, followed by two TV drama series for the subsequent two weeks. These will be streamed for free with subtitles in up to 16 languages, available in up to 27 countries/regions. 

https://watch.jff.jpf.go.jp/page/jffonline2024/

Last year's was excellent. It's a great opportunity to watch Japanese films which may be hard to find elsewhere. Starts and ends at noon JST on the respective days.

I made this list to help me prioritise and decide what to watch next. Happy to share it with others here. If there's enough interest we could also make a voting list to choose our favourites. We can use this thread to share recs and talk about the films too.

JFF Online 2024 Voting List

Thanks for creating the thread! 

I'm looking forward to this so much! Even though I have no idea how many I'll be able to watch, quite a few seem as if they won't be easily digestible.

i watch too many dramas:

I'm looking forward to this so much! Even though I have no idea how many I'll be able to watch, quite a few seem as if they won't be easily digestible.

Yeah, there is that. One of the reasons why I organised my list as I did, with the comedies mostly together nearer the bottom so they're easy to find when I need a break. I don't know how many I'll actually manage either, except that I'm stubborn and this is such a good opportunity. Pacing is key for the heavy ones.

Elisheva:
with the comedies mostly together nearer the bottom

I did not notice, good to know! Thank you!

Elisheva:
Pacing is key for the heavy ones.

I can already see me struggling my way through Twenty-four Eyes until June 18th or something like that. Or, alternatively, I'll watch all of the easy comedy-type films and the short films, and never even start the more interesting ones. 

I could share how it goes?

i watch too many dramas:
Or, alternatively, I'll watch all of the easy comedy-type films and the short films, and never even start the more interesting ones.

I could share how it goes?

What will make you happiest over all? Interesting or easy? I crave interesting ones so am counting on the easy ones filling in the gaps naturally. I also love good coming of age films and Japan is one of the best for those.

Please do share.

Elisheva:
Interesting or easy?

I want to watch the interesting films -- but at the end of a work day full of thinking, my brain just wants to be entertained. I'll see how I will feel each day, I guess.

Elisheva:
coming of age films

Not my cup of tea, except if they're outstanding. The age gap has grown too big to relate to the topic easily.

Great to know there's a thread about this festival. 

We Made a Beautiful Bouquet is a must imo. Just perfect as a quiet story of a relationship.

The Lines That Define Me finds its own lines for old forms. Recommended.

Elisheva:
The Lines That Define Me finds its own lines for old forms. Recommended.

That one does seem interesting.

I've just finished KIBA -- The fangs of Fiction. I loved it!
The film feels very fast-paced, and* it took me a while to get who is who and who wants what, which is important because this is very much character-driven, I had to rewind some scenes in the first half hour. It is both really funny and touches on contemporary struggles (of the publishing industry) at the same time. Several plot twists in the end, one of which I did not anticipate at all, but, in hindsight, made a lot of sense.

* edit: I could not help it, I had to rewatch the first 25 minutes. It's not exactly fast-paced, it's more that *every thing* that is said or done is important, and you cannot miss a minute or you'll have trouble keeping up.

Edit #2: I wrote a review for KIBA.

Thanks for the rec on KIBA. The MDL page isn't all that useful or encouraging so I hadn't thought much about it. Will make sure to watch it :) On a day when I have good attention.

thank you so much for this! i'm starting with the short horror ones, then the ones already on my ptw (we made a beautiful bouquet/bl metamorphsis) and i'll work through the others

Thank you for sharing! I want to watch everything but I think I might have to pick and to have the right pace lol

But maybe I'm going to start with the short ones and then choosing the rest. 

Single8 is a delight. Film about film-making, with high school students on a budget, ingenuity, problem solving and giving it meaning. Really good.

(Hello to everyone. Please share your thoughts. Am happy to see so many joining in.)

I just finished the four short movies. It was quite good, each movies has its charm. I don't know which one is my favorite, maybe Karakasa because it's a 30 min and a bit more detailed.